Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) (25153 Views)

7 Myths About Fuel Economy / Advice On Long Distance Journey / Impact Of Cbn's Cashless Economy On Auto Transactions in Nigeria. Postive Or Negative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by eros(m): 5:55pm On Nov 30, 2011
V6 Engines consumes less fuel on the highway and more fuel within the city and thats a fact. A V6 engine is a semi performance car and can never disappoint if you handle it very well on the highway.

1 Like

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Wallie(m): 6:21pm On Nov 30, 2011
eros:

V6 Engines consumes less fuel on the highway and more fuel within the city and thats a fact. A V6 engine is a semi performance car and can never disappoint if you handle it very well on the highway.

Don't be quick to make bold assertions about something you don't fully understand.

2012 Honda Accord
3.5L[b] V6 engine[/b]
Automatic transmission
Up to 20 cty/30 hwy mpg

2012 Honda Accord
2.4L 4-cyl. engine
Automatic transmission
Up to 23 cty/34 hwy mpg

V6 semi-performance engine? The only real advantage of a V6 is that it will usually have more torque than a 4-cylinder equivalent, which means that the V6 will have more get up-and-go power. Torque is what moves the car. But having a V6 also means that the engine will weigh more which negates the get up-and-go power.

You can usually counter a V6 by force inducing a 4 cylinder engine by turbo or supercharging but that also comes at a cost - lag (time between pressing the gas and the car actually moving).
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by eros(m): 6:34pm On Nov 30, 2011
Wallie:

Don't be quick to make bold assertions about something you don't fully understand.

2012 Honda Accord
3.5L[b] V6 engine[/b]
Automatic transmission
Up to 20 cty/30 hwy mpg

2012 Honda Accord
2.4L 4-cyl. engine
Automatic transmission
Up to 23 cty/34 hwy mpg

V6 semi-performance engine? The only real advantage of a V6 is that it will usually have more torque than a 4-cylinder equivalent, which means that the V6 will have more get up-and-go power. Torque is what moves the car. But having a V6 also means that the engine will weigh more which negates the get up-and-go power.

You can usually counter a V6 by force inducing a 4 cylinder engine by turbo or supercharging but that also comes at a cost - lag (time between pressing the gas and the car actually moving).

Noted. But like you rightly noted a V6 has more torque than a 4-cylinder equivalent and has more get up and go power which I have experienced severally on the high way when driving my V6.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Wallie(m): 6:45pm On Nov 30, 2011
eros:

Noted. But like you rightly noted a V6 has more torque than a 4-cylinder equivalent and has more get up and go power which I have experienced severally on the high way when driving my V6.

Very true because once a car starts moving, the weight of the car is almost out of the equation unless you're turning. So if you need overtaking power or a car that still has more oomph left when you're at speed, a V6 will be better suited. You should try a well designed V8 at speed! The sound and eagerness to move at highway speed is to die for!

1 Like

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Ikenna351(m): 6:49pm On Nov 30, 2011
GWslim:

You car must be new.

Since you need proof, attached are pics of the car i took on Monday, a day after i arrived Abuja with it.

Ikenna.

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Ikenna351(m): 6:55pm On Nov 30, 2011
pics

1 Like

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Ikenna351(m): 6:58pm On Nov 30, 2011
more pics of the car.

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Ikenna351(m): 7:18pm On Nov 30, 2011
Now, does the car look like a new car? I will say it again. Its Peugeot 605 V6 5-speed manual 12v 3.0 1990 model (series 1). Its my second car, my daily driver. So stop acting as if only new cars can get good fuel economy/efficiency.

And to the second question. No, the A/C wasnt used. So, even with the air drag (windows open), it still had such a wonderul fuel economy.

Of course, some I4s would do better on fuel economy on Highways (even though i know some I4s that guzzle fuel like Hell when trying to speed with them- lack of strong engine torque), but you enjoy a V6 more with the same or close to consumption of such I4s. Most I4s can be so boring to travel with. They lack acceleration or lack quickness.

Ikenna.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by http(m): 6:05am On Dec 01, 2011
Most V6 cars perform well on highway compare to driving in the cities. Since i started using my Dodge RAM 2500 to travel, its being trouble for me driving cars again cos that RAM na confirm RAM for Salah grin the Monter truck too like highway so tee travel don enter my blood now, I move from 0 to 100MPH in less than 10sec, God i always look back as if say na superman fly me comot from my position grin Men there is nothing like V8 engine.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 01, 2011
Of course, some I4s would do better on fuel economy on Highways
[size=14pt]I soooo agree with this. . .

In april 2009, i traveled with a '93 Model Honda Accord, a.k.a Honda Hala. Full tank from lagos to my village, and i still had very close to a quarter tank of gasoline. Tank is about 62 litres. My state is Abia state, and in total, the journey was more than 620km, but less than 700. The AC was on mostly thru out. Minimum maintained highway speed was 120km/hr, maximum was 160km/hr on that journey![/size]
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by CHIMSKY(m): 10:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
On a general note cars,whether v6 or i4 engines,perform better on the open highway.Filled my tank at Awka in a Camry 98 (pencil light)and it took me to my house in Abuja without a refill.I was shocked.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by IdaraCHODB(m): 5:28pm On Dec 05, 2013
What if the catalyic converter was gutted out and metal mosquito nets were put in the catalytic converter?

What if the oxygen sensors are slow?

What if there are vacuum leaks?

Won't those affect the fuel economy?

I think one needs to use a properly tuned car before attempting to talk about a car's fuel economy?

I think an tuned old car can post good fuel economy while a lack of tune new car can post poor fuel economy!

1 Like

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Omijiestan: 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2021
That's very true.
nissparts:
The use or absence of AC in most modern cars is negligible on fuel economy except of course your AC was fully installed in Nigeria. smiley
Depending on the direction of the wind though, traveling on a highway with your windows rolled down will result in some drag which will impact on your fuel economy negatively.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by irishkafe(m): 7:24pm On Jan 20, 2023

You're basing your opinion on emotion, you're a Japmobile fan, so understandable. I have driven Japmobiles, Euro and American cars, and compare accordingly. I work on automobile on a daily basis. As for telling posters to do their homework, what exactly do you want them to do?

There's nothing scientific, or remotely technical in your conclusion. You'll need to drive different cars back to back to conclude. And Chinese-spec cars, where do you get that from? A Toyota Camry assembled in China will be built with Japanese CKD kits, same as US models. The fact it was assembled in China will have little, or no bearing on fuel consumption.
Omijiestan:
That's very true.
Gluckdude:
posters with observations, please be precise with your auto discoveries, so we are not lost. did you guys use ac while travelling? so naija folks are not mislead.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by irishkafe(m): 7:30pm On Jan 20, 2023
V6 engines does better fuel economy on Highway than 4 cylinders,

Benz consumes less fuel than a Japanese car.
Benz like C240, C230 on highway cannot be compared with any Corolla. Take it to the bank, tested and proven.
My Peugeot 307 Hatchback 4cyl does way better fuel economy than a Corolla.
Within city drive for a V6 burns fuel faster.

Fuel quality also is a factor to be considered when measuring the parameters,
Active O2 Oxygen sensors, good Airflow meter, No leakages in Exhaust line, regardless of the presence of Catalytic converter or not (Aka Indomie) 😂, my car has no indomie but I still great fuel economy and I travel with it on AC tight.

If you have not tested many options you will never know. You'll be amazed how you've carried a myth in your head for years 😂
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by irishkafe(m): 7:31pm On Jan 20, 2023
I believe you Ikenna.
Peugeot for the win always.
Ikenna351:
pics
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by irishkafe(m): 7:32pm On Jan 20, 2023
I believe you Ikenna.
Peugeot for the win always. I still need you to help me scan one 307 1.6L engine hatchback, Automatic transmission.
Will call you soon or send your number to my bros.
Ikenna351:
pics

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video Of Innoson Vehicles Production Process / How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? / Vehicle Licence Renewal: Information Required

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.