Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,096 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria (720 Views)

Abacha, Ojukwu And Gowon In A Private Jet (Throwback Photo) / Ojukwu And Gowon Eating Together At Aburu,ghana 1967 - Photo / Throw Back Picture Of Odimegwu Ojukwu And Wife Stella (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by manchy7531: 4:24pm On Nov 30, 2011
By Solomon Asemota SAN

Ikemba was my friend. I had known him in the Congo in 1963, when he was a Major in the Nigeria Army. I was then an Assistant Superintendent of Police. As an Army Officer and the first graduate in the Nigerian Army, he was a very proud Igbo man.

I had planned to get Nd'igbo and the Yoruba to meet so that we can have Southern solidarity. This was after a failed attempt by the Patriots through Professor Nwabueze to get Governors of the South to realize the necessity to unite to forge a common Southern cause. Mr. Michael Orobator successfully facilitated an address by Prof Nwabueze to the gathering of Southern Governors in Benin City in 1999 to apprise them of this need. Regrettably, there were no further meetings of the Governors of the South after this because in my view, Lugard`s divergent policy at amalgamation which is still being promoted by some Nigerians – divide the South for the unity and solidarity of the North - is still very much in place.

went to see Justice Ozobu, Retired Chief Judge of Enugu State and Ohaneze leader at the time and told him of my desire to convene a meeting between the leaders of the Nd'igbo and Yoruba. Justice Ozobu to my surprise, said Dim Ojukwu was the leader of Nd’igbo and that I should go and see him. We immediately proceeded to see Ojukwu and told him of my mission. Ojukwu asked me to come back in three weeks time and we agreed on a date.[b]On that day, in 2003, I arrived and we had a one on one meeting that lasted for six (6) hours. He informed me that he wanted the three weeks time frame to enable him investigate my background and person and expressed surprise that a Nigerian could spend his time and money to fight for the cause of Nigeria the and unity of minorities unaided or assisted internally or by any external body, I told him it was because I understood the problem of Nigeria more than most of those who were involved. I told also him that when he left Biafra to General Philip Effiong to administer and went on exile, I thought he was a coward and that he should have stayed and died in the cause of Nd`igbo. I became convinced after our meeting that God spared his life in the civil war as his subsequent return to Nigeria made reconciliation fast and complete. It would have been difficult if not impossible to reconcile Nd’igbo with the rest of Nigeria had he died a martyr. After our meeting, he started to refer to me as ‘Brother’.[/b]

Ojukwu as a Historian and a former colonial District Officer understood Nigeria, its history and administration better than most Nigerians.[b]He understood what was meant by Lugard’s divergent policy between the North and South. He understood what was meant by “a well conducted youth of the North” and a “Southern lady of means” which was and still is that the resources of the “Southern wife” must be used at the pleasure of the “Northern husband”. Ojukwu also understood that the colonial interest in post colonial Nigeria was designed to benefit the Northern oligarchy more than the rest of the country and therefore was in British interest to hand over power to them (the Hausa/Fulani) the weakest of the Big Three. Ojukwu understood the importance and effect of the intelligence community and the Arab mukhabarat. It was for these reasons among others that made him contest twice for the office of President. He recounted to me his encounter with Obasanjo after the correct result of the Presidential Election in the Eastern States published by the SSS side by side with the fake results were made public in 1999, Ojukwu told me that he took both results to see President Obasanjo and demanded that it be accepted that he, Ojukwu, won the election in the East and therefore he (Obasanjo) must see him (Ojukwu) as his equal with respect to matters concerning Nd’igbo. Obasanjo who was livid, shouted at him and said “who is your equal? Ojukwu then said that he was forced to remind Obasanjo that when he was a Colonel in the Nigerian Army, he (Obasanjo) was a Lieutenant and stormed out of the Villa to drive straight to Daura where he struck an alliance with Buhari.[/b]

Ojukwu also told me why he calls Obasanjo “Omo Oba”. This part of the story is for another day.

The meeting between Nd’igbo and Yoruba was eventually held in my office in Gbagada in 2004.

[b]I recalled this event recently at a public lecture organized by Chief Akande of ACN part of which reads:
“Permit me also to take this opportunity to correct the impression that Awolowo assured Odumegwu Ojukwu that if the East announced secession, the Yoruba would do the same. At a meeting held in my office in Gbagada as the Convener/National Co-ordinator of Ethnic Nationalities Movement of Nigeria (ENM), the first question the Afenifere led by Chief Abraham Adesanya accompanied by Olaniwun Ajayi, Ayo Adebanjo, Gani Dawodu and two others asked Ojukwu was why he came alone when it was agreed that each leader would come with five others. Ojukwu replied that as an Igbo man, the leader first tests the waters – cross the river before calling on others to follow him. Pa Adesanya asked Ojukwu to confirm what was discussed in this “one on one” meeting with Awolowo in Enugu before the declaration of Biafra and in particular to ascertain whether Awolowo assured or agreed that the West would secede with the East. Ojukwu’s answer was “Did you hear me comment when such nonsense was being peddled? We all understood him that no such assurance was given. It was General Gowon who said that Awolowo told him that if he allowed the Nd’igbo to secede, the Yoruba would follow. This shows, in my view, that Awolowo had faith in the union called Nigeria. These facts have been twisted to bring disaffection between the Yoruba and Nd’igbo.” The oligarchy’s agents among Nd’igbo and Yoruba were handsomely rewarded to peddle falsehood, Ojukwu told me later.”[/b]

Our friendship then became very strong and I felt very bad when he had his first stroke and when the second stroke came last year and he was flown to England I visited him in hospital in Reading in August 2011. It is ironic that on the morning of Saturday, November 26, before his death was announced midday, I had sent a text message to an Ijaw friend of mine to wit:Dear Prof. ACF say VP Sambo is the highest Northerner in Government. Meaning that President Jonathan is highest Ijaw as there is no South. This is divergent policy of Lord Lugard, which is “divide the South for the unity of the North”. Ijaws should not be used to divide the South, thereby the country. If there is no South, then there should be no North. If there is a North, then there must be a South. Fair is fair. Asemota SAN”

And he replied:

“Agreed. We shall work for that. Regards.”

Ojukwu and I held the view that it cannot be the “North” and “the rest of us other Nigerians” but all of us as Nigerians. Ojukwu understood, being a historian that Southern Nigeria (a Southern lady of means) was to serve the “well-conducted youth of the North” for some time. It would appear that the elites of the North wants this service to continue in perpetuity, treating the South as a wife whose dowry for the marriage having been paid by her must continue to slave for the husband. This situation, we both agreed, was responsible for the lack of unity in Nigeria, brought upon the country by orchestrated injustices. We both agreed that insecurity has developed into an industry and we needed to re-negotiate Nigeria after a Truth and Reconciliation Conference, as the events of the last 90 years could not be swept the under the carpet. Thereafter a National Conference for a Nigerian Constitution not one imposed on us by the colonialists and our erstwhile military masters.

To Nd`igbo, I extend my heartfelt sympathy and hope that the selection or election of a new leader will be devoid of rancour as Nd’igbo know that political parties, as presently constituted and the non provision of Independent Candidacy is the denial of political freedom and in such situation, political parties cannot be a substitute for ethnic and religious affiliations. To his dear wife Bianca and his children with Emeka as the head of the family, I extend my heartfelt sympathy. I hope the death of Ojukwu will cement the unity that existed in the Ojukwu family, Nd’igbo and, above all, Ethnic Nationalities including the three major Ethnic Nationalities - Hausa/Fulani, Nd’igbo and Yoruba who must begin to appreciate that the other 386 ethnic nationalities are also stakeholders in the Nigerian Project especially when 93% of the sustenance of Nigeria presently derives from these minorities. Wazobia is condescending and should be discarded permanently by all Nigerians for the unity of Nigeria as one Nation.

God bless Nigeria

Solomon Asemota SAN
National Co-ordinator
Ethnic Nationality Movement (ENM)
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by manchy7531: 4:28pm On Nov 30, 2011
Awo was very mean,but nevertheless, we cannot hold the whole yoruba people to ransom because of the deviance of one man!I must remind all that the northern block is not as it used to be!
Kogi, Kwara,Benue, plateau, nasarawa(spellng),southern kaduna, taraba & adamawa. don't, I repeat,don't identify with the core north!I do believe that the east & west should bury the hatchet!In fact I don't hide it from anybody, the core north contributes nothing to the grow of this nation and yet wants to enjoy all the milk & honey on it's own!

I think it is time we cut them loose
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by VoodooDoll(m): 4:37pm On Nov 30, 2011
Source: ?
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by manchy7531: 4:37pm On Nov 30, 2011
if there is North there should also be a South. It is divide and rule that we have succumbed to. Ndigbo and the Yorubas must bury the hatchet and forge a new future. You must not give up the crusade.

This must start form Nairaland.
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by manchy7531: 5:05pm On Nov 30, 2011
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by CyberG: 9:33pm On Nov 30, 2011
manchy7531:

Awo was very mean,but nevertheless, we cannot hold the whole yoruba people to ransom because of the deviance of one man!I must remind all that the northern block is not as it used to be!
Kogi, Kwara,Benue, plateau, nasarawa(spellng),southern kaduna, taraba & adamawa. don't, I repeat,don't identify with the core north!I do believe that the east & west should bury the hatchet!In fact I don't hide it from anybody, the core north contributes nothing to the grow of this nation and yet wants to enjoy all the milk & honey on it's own!

I think it is time we cut them loose

Manchy. . .you make a good point but you ruined it with your first phrase by attacking the same person Ojukwu said expressly: I DO NOT AND HAVE NEVER BLAMED AWO FOR ANYTHING. That piece of history is here on NL and you must have seen it, so how did you get to your conclusion? Please, let us be respectful and appreciate other people's positions. I was not even here when all these troubles were brewing and I am sure MOST ardent commenters were not as evidenced about a thread here not long ago. I ask you one question: Did you ever see the raw video of what the Soviets did to Berlin in WW II? That can only be done when your intention is to completely annihilate everything human beings, buildings, everything - not just kill a few and take prisoners. Did you know that even the Nazis would rather be captured by the Americans than fall into the hands of the Soviets? Death was almost sure either way but have you seen a person killed so hard there is nothing left? Please, for goodness sake, let us leave all this trouble behind.

In my opinion, the cost of breaking up Nigeria by war or violence is so high it is unpayable and will possibly last a very long time so much so if victory were ever won, it is would be a Pyrrhic victory and the conditions for even a sustainable attack: an overwhelming superiority in men, fighting equipment and intelligence gathering that tells precisely what the other side would do.
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by asha80(m): 9:43pm On Nov 30, 2011
CyberG:

Manchy. . .you make a good point but you ruined it with your first phrase by attacking the same person Ojukwu said expressly: I DO NOT AND HAVE NEVER BLAMED AWO FOR ANYTHING. That piece of history is here on NL and you must have seen it, so how did you get to your conclusion? Please, let us be respectful and appreciate other people's positions. I was not even here when all these troubles were brewing and I am sure MOST ardent commenters were not as evidenced about a thread here not long ago. I ask you one question: Did you ever see the raw video of what the Soviets did to Berlin in WW II? That can only be done when your intention is to completely annihilate everything human beings, buildings, everything - not just kill a few and take prisoners. Did you know that even the Nazis would rather be captured by the Americans than fall into the hands of the Soviets? Death was almost sure either way but have you seen a person killed so hard there is nothing left? Please, for goodness sake, let us leave all this trouble behind.

In my opinion, the cost of breaking up Nigeria by war or violence is so high it is unpayable and will possibly last a very long time so much so if victory were ever won, it is would be a Pyrrhic victory and the conditions for even a sustainable attack: an overwhelming superiority in men, fighting equipment and intelligence gathering that tells precisely what the other side would do.

i have always wanted to see raw footages of that.
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by CyberG: 9:45pm On Nov 30, 2011
. . .Continued:

This conditions that must exist to guarantee winning a violent war to break Nigeria for it makes no sense to fight a war only to lose and be subject to worse conditions that before the war. In WW II, British Lt. General Montgomery had been made to replace Gen. Auschinlek because he had made it clear to Churchill that he would delay attack on Rommel until he built overwhelming superiority in men, training and equipment. Churchill was exasperated when Montgomery told him he would not go on the offensive until his Eight Army had come up to the standard required to overcome Rommel at the Battle of El-Alamein - the turning tide of the war. How would an army from the south come up with these resources when it currently does not effectively control it? How will the supplies land in the hands of the army that would use it if they do not control the ports and do not have the loyalty of the entire peoples at this port? How can you gather intelligence when you have not won the unalloyed support of every other part of the country except the ones you wish to fight? Then, you have to factor in the foreign countries who could take either side and will deploy their own military forces - so in essence: a violent or military breakaway is impossible.

Either, a negotiated break of the country or a sovereign national conference to renegotiate the country back to regions under accepted terms keeping the country appears to be the options.
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by CyberG: 10:07pm On Nov 30, 2011
asha 80:

i have always wanted to see raw footages of that.

I have seen several movies of WW II on DVD but I am pretty sure a clipping would be on Youtube. I am sure you are aware that Hitler would not just kill himself if he knew there was no other way out and he did just that before the Battle of Berlin was over. Imagine just four launchers delivering 4.35 tons of high explosives over a 400 square kilometers in just 7–10 seconds and in 2012 (or future if this were to happen) the state of development of this weapons? These can be re-deploed to new positions within a short interval and the barrage continues. It was reported that the German soldiers feared these rockets very much - and that is German forces who were so well trained, there was probably no more efficient, fierce and wicked people all loaded down with hate and Goebbel's evil propaganda in WW II - almost no human being stood a chance. If the existing Nigerian army were to acquire even 100 of such in a fight against the other army, you can only imagine what would happen.
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by realchange: 10:17pm On Nov 30, 2011
i hope you know that Hitler didn't kill himself.
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by realchange: 10:20pm On Nov 30, 2011
simply studying the psychology of mass murderers like Hitler, Saddam, Qaddafi etc would show you that there is no way Hitler killed himself. he escaped. an investigative documentary conducted a dna on the skull alleged to be his in russia. turned out the skull belonged to a woman.
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by CyberG: 11:24pm On Nov 30, 2011
realchange:

simply studying the psychology of mass murderers like Hitler, Saddam, Qaddafi etc would show you that there is no way Hitler killed himself. he escaped. an investigative documentary conducted a dna on the skull alleged to be his in russia. turned out the skull belonged to a woman.

Well, that is an opinion and may be a conspiracy. In any event, I believe my point is made.
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 11:50pm On Nov 30, 2011
CyberG:

. I ask you one question: [size=18pt]Did you ever see the raw video of what the Soviets did to Berlin in WW II?[/size] That can only be done when your intention is to completely annihilate everything human beings, buildings, everything - not just kill a few and take prisoners. Did you know that even the Nazis would rather be captured by the Americans than fall into the hands of the Soviets? Death was almost sure either way but have you seen a person killed so hard there is nothing left? Please, for goodness sake, let us leave all this trouble behind.

I asked the same question to some people who taught war was a video game.

Why are the Soviet generals not arraigned for war crimes like the nazi leaders in Nurnberg
Re: Ojukwu And The Ethnic Nationalities Movement Of Nigeria by CyberG: 2:09am On Dec 01, 2011
dayokanu:

I asked the same question to some people who taught war was a video game.

Why are the Soviet generals not arraigned for war crimes like the nazi leaders in Nurnberg

So insane was the shit that even after the Red Army liberated Soviet POWs that had been captured and placed in the concentration camp in Auschwitz, one would think they would be freed to go. No, what they got was imprisonment in the Soviet gulags. Incredible!

(1) (Reply)

Prominent People That Died In 2011, Who Is The Greatest Of Them All / Alert: Petroleum Tanker On Fire At Old Toll Gate / Pls Join Me To Butcher Our Leaders and not boko haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.