Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,116 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

Ojukwu - The Economist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu - The Economist (8621 Views)

New Lagos Governor Ambode Incompetent - The Economist / The Economist On Naija Fuel Subsidies / The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu - The Economist by Olaone1: 11:34pm On Dec 01, 2011
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Relax101(m): 2:21am On Dec 02, 2011
http://www.economist.com/node/21540986

Secession was surely not what Colonel Ojukwu had in mind when he became governor of the East. Just five months before Biafra broke away he was arguing for a looser federation, and he got the promise of it, even though his fellow military governors soon backtracked, realising they had been outwitted. The colonel was clever and more educated than his counterparts, which may have been why he would not defer to his antagonist, Lieut-Colonel Yakubu Gowon, the federal supreme commander; or perhaps he was just proud and obstinate, as his critics had it.

For Africa it was a cautionary tale. The 1960s, in which so many African countries gained independence, had started with a brutal war of secession in Congo. They ended with another. However, Biafra’s failure to redraw colonial boundaries by force put an end to most further attempts. If any change is to be made now, it must be by consent, as in Sudan. Perhaps General Ojukwu’s stand was needed to achieve this.

The bolded part is the reason why the Nigerian army is so messed up till date!

Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by ak47mann(m): 2:23am On Dec 02, 2011
brave heart!! we salute you your great one cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Kilode1: 2:36am On Dec 02, 2011
I was waiting for The Economist or Time obituary

For Africa it was a cautionary tale. The 1960s, in which so many African countries gained independence, had started with a brutal war of secession in Congo. They ended with another. However, Biafra’s failure to redraw colonial boundaries by force put an end to most further attempts.

If any change is to be made now, it must be by consent, as in Sudan. Perhaps General Ojukwu’s stand was needed to achieve this.

This is the conversation we should be having, not this childish back and forth over who should have the biggest roundabout in their honour.

To honour those who died on both side of these wars, we need to properly define what we all want out of Nigeria, too much blood has been shed for this contraption, for now, it looks like it was in vain, it can still be corrected.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Olaone1: 8:05am On Dec 02, 2011
Kilode?!:

I was waiting for The Economist or Time obituary

This is the conversation we should be having, not this childish back and forth over who should have the biggest roundabout in their honour.

I wonder oo
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by ektbear: 10:23am On Dec 02, 2011
Nice article.

I agree Kilode, Economist and newspapers of that caliber are the best place to get obituaries/retrospectives like this.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:57pm On Dec 02, 2011
Excellent write up that reflects exactly wat happened in a nutshell and wat tribalist do not want to hear. Nothing is hidden under the Sun as far as God is concern. RIP Ikemba.

Secession was surely not what Colonel Ojukwu had in mind when he became governor of the East. The Economist.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by sheyguy: 6:21pm On Dec 02, 2011
What a thread
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by mayoroflag(m): 6:24pm On Dec 02, 2011
Also check out the commentaries of people on The Economist:http://www.economist.com/node/21540986/comments

And a petition by someone to get the British Government to apologize for the civil war: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/4662
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Reggie2(m): 6:25pm On Dec 02, 2011
Pogroms of Ibos had already taken place in the North and they now grew more severe, claiming the lives of tens of thousands of easterners, and prompting over 1m of the luckier ones to head for their region of origin. Colonel Ojukwu was soon regretting the broadcast he had made earlier, in which he had asked Ibos in the North to return home since the situation was “under control”. Instead, the scene was set for a war that was to last for 30 months and claim the lives, it is said, of 1m people through fighting, hunger or disease. Some put the number much higher.

People had wondered how and why ndiigbo resisted the warfor so long. Think of gruesome killing in the north and Nairaland kind of yoruba hatred for igbo and you would be getting close to the picture!
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:32pm On Dec 02, 2011
It's a big shame only foreigners can tell the truth about this country. All the most honest, forthright accounts of the Biafran war I've read have been by foreigners. The local ones are filled with historical revisionism and ignores salient issues that linger.

Such as why a mass murderer and ethnic cleanser should have our biggest international airport and most popular currency note dedicated to his name. We're very far from full reconciliation until full justice is served.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 02, 2011
Obi1kenobi:

It's a big shame only foreigners can tell the truth about this country. All the most honest, forthright accounts of the Biafran war I've read have been by foreigners. The local ones are filled with historical revisionism and ignores salient issues that linger.

Such as why a mass murderer and ethnic cleanser should have our biggest international airport and most popular currency note dedicated to his name. We're very far from full reconciliation until full justice is served.

Biafra ran a very successful propaganda. It was the first war beamed on TV to millions around the world, and who wouldn't be shocked by images of children dying like flies.
But Ojukwu was not blameless, no matter what the Economist and other foreign media says.
The war was fought in Nigeria, not in Europe.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by AfroBlue(m): 6:45pm On Dec 02, 2011
I was just reading earlier about his father being on the board of directors of colonial master Shell Oil which some NL members theorize still run the country clandestinely.

The UK also master planned the Civil War between the states in America.

War is profitable for the establishment.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 02, 2011
All across the globe, the trumpets are blaring. A mighty iroko has fallen and the world has heard it and are paying their respect. R.I.P. beloved Ikemba. My grandmother admired your bravery and revered you so much that if she were still alive, she would cry like a baby. R.I.P. once again.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by chino11(m): 6:55pm On Dec 02, 2011
Wow yooroabas on reading this from The Economist must have ran into their dirty caves.  grin
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by lagcity(m): 7:15pm On Dec 02, 2011
Reggie2:

People had wondered how and why ndiigbo resisted the warfor so long. Think of gruesome killing in the north and Nairaland kind of yoruba hatred for igbo and you would be getting close to the picture!

Look, if I base my judgement on NL, i would think Igbos hate Yoruba with a passion with the kind of things they say about us (Yorubas). One example is this monkey chino11 posting above me. In fact, I would avoid all Igbos in the world. But it isn't so. So close that chapter.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by JoeMosco(m): 7:21pm On Dec 02, 2011
Pls friends, this is not a time to "run Mouths" rather let everyone RESOLVE TO BE BETTER NIGERIANS, because we are all "guilty" of what Nigeria has become.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by ezeagu(m): 7:39pm On Dec 02, 2011
Though he was himself an Ibo and a lieutenant-colonel in the army, he had not been involved in this Ibo-led plot, nor, less surprisingly, did he take part in the second coup, six months later, which was led by northerners. He was a federalist, which is to say he believed in keeping Nigeria as a federal state.

Bookmarked!

The colonel was clever and more educated than his counterparts, which may have been why he would not defer to his antagonist, Lieut-Colonel Yakubu Gowon, the federal supreme commander; or perhaps he was just proud and obstinate, as his critics had it.

Bookmarked!

At the time, though, Biafra still seemed to offer the prospect of a country better run than most others in Africa, and the fears of genocide were certainly well founded.

Bookmarked!
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Orikinla(m): 7:48pm On Dec 02, 2011
The Lion of Biafra did what he had to do then.
The Igbos lost the warm because they were betrayed by the Yorubas and saboteurs in the South-South.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by lagcity(m): 7:51pm On Dec 02, 2011
Orikinla:

The Igbos lost the warm because they were betrayed by the Yorubas and saboteurs in the South-South.

What betrayal are you talking about? Did Yoruba have any agreement with Biafrans? Yoruba does not owe Biafrans anything, so close that betrayal chapter.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by ravgach: 7:55pm On Dec 02, 2011
May God console the hearts of Ndi Igbo on the demise of Eze Igbo Gburugburu.  

He has done his best for his people.  I have never seen a leader so loved by his people.

The best honor Ndi Igbo can give Dim, is to get their acts together and unite on principle,
not necessarily being in the same political party and give Ndi Igbo good governance.
Democracy has given them the opportunity to right some of the past wrongs.  
Develop the East by all legitimate means!

May God give Igbo leaders wisdom and the determination to make Igboland
the land of promise it indeed is.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by sheyguy: 7:59pm On Dec 02, 2011
lagcity:

Look, if I base my judgement on NL, i would think Igbos hate Yoruba with a passion with the kind of things they say about us (Yorubas). One example is this monkey chino11 posting above me. In fact, I would avoid all Igbos in the world. But it isn't so. So close that chapter.

seconded

i have lots of real life experience with these ibos confronting me with their hate attitude cos they feel am yoruba. Too many of them hold grugdes againsst the yorubas 4 no tangible reason.
Orikinla:

shut up, it was ibos who betrayed the yorubas, go back and read how awolowo was caged in the east and how they massacred the yorubas along with their traditional enemies, no yoruba leader knew what the ibos were up to politically except that they wanted to use the yorubas for thier selfish interest. I suggest u quit that crap of yoruba betrayed ibos this is 2011
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by ocelot2006(m): 8:01pm On Dec 02, 2011
Did someone say saboteurs in the south-south? Did we ask the igbos to drag the minorities into the seccession plan and biafra?

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Remii(m): 8:06pm On Dec 02, 2011
Orikinla:

What about the Ibos that did not support the Biafra, including those that Ojukwu freed from prison and co opted to fight for him then later betrayed him, like Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna. Biafra may be good, but not well packaged or sold to stakeholders. Most minorities did not not trust Ibos to treat them fairly in Biafra, that was why the likes of Diette Spiff, Kenule Saro Wiwa, Adaka Boro had to help Nigeria.
Awolowo was already in Gowon government, what do you expect him to do, be a traitor in government,  or give wrong advise?
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by pazienza(m): 8:22pm On Dec 02, 2011
ocelot2006:

Did someone say saboteurs in the south-south? Did we ask the igbos to drag the minorities into the seccession plan and biafra?

Neither did Nigeria consult you guys when they handed over bakasi to cameroun,what a reward.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by pazienza(m): 8:24pm On Dec 02, 2011
History will always vindicate Ojukwu.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by sheyguy: 8:27pm On Dec 02, 2011
ocelot2006:

the ibos r king when it comes to blame-game of biafra crap. The north hates them, SS r sabotuers, the west betrayed them. They r just too good at this blame game of a thing, yet it was an ibo man who supported the idea of one nigeria first.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by muyoto: 8:41pm On Dec 02, 2011
why is the author's name not included sef?
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by realchange: 8:41pm On Dec 02, 2011
ocelot2006:

nobody asked anyone in the east to be targeted and murdered in the north which forced many of our people to run to the east. It was a collective decision by easterners through the eastern house of assembly to declare biafra. some of the leaders of the fight were people from your area (akwa-ibom). there were saboteurs everywhere including igboland.
the more some of you try to isolate the biafran struggle as igbo struggle, the less others believe you. if you doubt me, just wait until there is another war in nigeria, (which is almost certain going by the way things are going). we (ndigbo) would be more concerned with ourselves. if ever we do anything with minorities in ss , they have to lead it.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by realchange: 8:46pm On Dec 02, 2011
sheyguy:

[b]the ibos r king when it comes to blame-game of biafra crap. The north hates them, SS r sabotuers, the west betrayed them. [/b]They r just too good at this blame game of a thing, yet it was an ibo man who supported the idea of one nigeria first.

why not acknowledge what the article by a foreigner is saying, which is basically the truth? who has been vindicated by history according to what the article said? stop all these local yard talk. ndigbo don't care what anyone thinks anymore.
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by zebudaya(m): 8:48pm On Dec 02, 2011
This is such a brilliant article . I am waiting for you  tribalistic fools to come in and derail the thread. Sometimes I wonder how Almajiri can kill their fellow man over a lost Buhari election or over a burnt Koran, I chalk it up to ignorance. They don't know any better.

Then I read what is posted here everyday and I shake my head. Igbo vs. Yoruba, Igbo vs. Hausa etc. Such nonsense. It's sad. These are the Nigerians who have access to the internet, and who have PC's. Supposedly the intelligent ones. Yet they post such hate-filled generalizations. Igbo's are this, South South is that, Yoruba is like this or that ?

How are we going to make progress? It's a big shame!
Re: Ojukwu - The Economist by Roland17(m): 9:08pm On Dec 02, 2011
Ojukwu's heroics can never be swept under the carpet no matter how hard they try,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Nigerian Leaders And Thier Religion Since 1963 / FULL List Of The Amount Each Governors Earn In Nigeria / "No Diaspora IDP Voting In 2019 General Elections." - INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.