Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,775 members, 7,810,022 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish (5716 Views)

Seun Please Ban My Account.... Till The End Of The World / Ban Me / Una Don Ban Me Again Abi? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Rubbermaid(f): 3:34am On Sep 26, 2007
Dear Seun - Nairaland Moderator,

This is a formal request asking that you ban me [quickly] from your forum. Please do so before the level of English Ninglish used here kills, maims, or adulterates my own command of proper English grammar. cry

Following my recent visits, I have left Nairaland wondering what in heaven's name is happening in Nigerian classrooms? What has happened to those days of yore when you were drilled until you mastered correct usage of English grammar by Primary three?!

For example, I clicked on the discussion item at the top of the 'hot list' today and almost suffered a fatal blow when the poster started with "Have you ever sit, " I understand occasional 'slip-ups' however, the repeated instances on this forum has lead me to believe that these folks just never learned proper English, or have not bothered to keep up by reading well written literature or revisiting early lessons from time to time (and as needed).

I am now officially fed-up with Ninglish and would like to turn-in my Nairaland membership before irreparable damage is done. I will now be moving over to the Nigerian Village Square. Nigerians there seem to have better control of the language. Ironically, they seem to make better sense too.

Respectfully,

Rubbermaid.

PS - English is your friend. Blame those who made it our national language. Peace.

Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by afrodixie: 7:14am On Sep 26, 2007
Well, please do not take it to heart. It is the state of the Nigerian educational system. Education is not a priority for Nigerian "youths and agbayas" since "yahoo" English can catch more mugus around the world!

How is things BTW? wink
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by CrazyMan(m): 9:19pm On Sep 26, 2007
If I was the admin I would have willingly granted you your request
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by finekid(m): 10:04pm On Sep 27, 2007
@ Rubbermaid,
Ok, I ban you! Just kidding grin
But I concur that many Nigerians are so not so good in the use of English language.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Nikkykinky(f): 4:01pm On Sep 28, 2007
Factually, I agree with the poster's request. I would also suggest that each member post his/her picture for everyone to see. Even if we do not get to meet one-on-one, we get to place the face to the write-up. I believe this will bring about some decorum and sanity into the way we write and what things we post for others to read.

This should be an intellectual forum and should be treated as such. Our discussions and exchange of correspondence/jokes/information/thread should depict who we are.

Please something positive should be done and in good time too.

Thank you.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by tollu: 11:25pm On Oct 03, 2007
Epele o, eyin oyinbo. what will those of us that doesnt hear english do? she na our fault say we no hear?
do horse one big favor, teach us tutorials. we dey wait you o. Ninglish
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Gettolove(m): 9:08am On Oct 04, 2007
tollu:

Epele o, eyin oyinbo. what will those of us that doesnt hear english do? she na our fault say we no hear?
do horse one big favor, teach us tutorials. we dey wait you o. Ninglish

are you still complained about those of you that DOSENT hear english, what of some of us that did not hear at all grin grin grin

I am an NACIRFA.
Grammar no be my language
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by tollu: 9:17pm On Oct 04, 2007
I tire o my brother! Nobody has took me up on the taughting of tutorials.
I dey wait una tongue
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by niceuzor: 9:38am On Oct 05, 2007
Hello poster,plz can you be our Nairaland English teacher? embarassed
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Rubbermaid(f): 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2007
No. I can't teach anybody English - it's not my job. I save my skills for my professional presentations, thesis, and other communications.
Additionally, it looks like those who need to improve their language skills are not bothered enough to take advantage of classroom lessons, or dedicate themselves to self-help solutions.

Ironically, we wonder why so many Nigerian graduates are treated like crap when they apply for jobs. Prove this, prove that, line up, take a test, touch the sky, hop like a toad, etc.

Bad English is the reason! If many can graduate from Universities with such poor grammar then of course, all bets will be off in assessing the quality of their credentials.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by surugede(m): 10:14pm On Oct 07, 2007
the first time eve had a chance, she blamed the serpent.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Gettolove(m): 11:33am On Oct 09, 2007
Rubbermaid:

No. I can't teach anybody English - it's not my job. I save my skills for my professional presentations, thesis, and other communications.
Additionally, it looks like those who need to improve their language skills are not bothered enough to take advantage of classroom lessons, or dedicate themselves to self-help solutions.

Ironically, we wonder why so many Nigerian graduates are treated like crap when they apply for jobs. Prove this, prove that, line up, take a test, touch the sky, hop like a toad, etc.

Bad English is the reason! If many can graduate from Universities with such poor grammar then of course, all bets will be off in assessing the quality of their credentials.

bros wetin b your own sef, na must make person sabi spik ninglish?
what i think is important is for one to be productive and responsible.
i go beat you if you talk anything again angry

Very soon we go enforce make una dey speak pidgin english
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 10, 2007
If I fire and you dodge I don't care , na the beginning of craze be that.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 10, 2007
I think we are doing pretty well with your own language.I'd like to see an Englishman take a course in yoruba and see whether he'll master the language without killing our beloved language.
Talk am as una fit talk am jare,nobody dey perfect
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by fuzek: 12:59am On Nov 11, 2007
Nikkykinky:

Factually, I agree with the poster's request. I would also suggest that each member post his/her picture for everyone to see. Even if we do not get to meet one-on-one, we get to place the face to the write-up. I believe this will bring about some decorum and sanity into the way we write and what things we post for others to read.

shocked I saw d picture on your profile and it helped me place your face in my write-up tongue
How many faces do u need to have in your mind to help u wit write-ups
BTW how many profiles do u view undecided
Na wa!
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by U1(m): 3:28pm On Nov 11, 2007
Sorry to say this sister,but English is not our mother tongue,so we are not afraid to misuse,adulterate and fabricate words[not an excuse for lazy folks though].Shame should only come in if we are unable to speak the mother tongue.Just my opinion,besides,it's a democracy. cool cool
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by TmeD0(m): 1:07am On Nov 12, 2007
Rubbermaid:

E pele o mama Grammarian! "I save my skills for my professional presentations, thesis, and other kumu nene kumu nene." Just bcus (Yes, I spelled the word "because" incorrectly) na you first manage go school get degree, the tin don enter your head come make am swell. na (And yes, I started a sentence using a lower-case) people like you go see person for outside and quick to judge them from the way they talk. I'm not arguing the fact that there are lazy and choose-to-be-ignorant people out there. Mind you, ignorance comes in all shades of color and amongst all nationalities.

Now, for you to come here and insinuate that people on here are either uneducated or semi-educated is not only insulting but shows how judgmental and a self-righteous a-hole you really are. I'm sure you're probably one of the few that are quick to say they're ashamed of being Nigerians sometimes. Abeg oga moderator Seun, ban this yeye dey smell jare; na peopu (another incorrect spelling for you to note) like am go dey do like say them no dey shit.

By the way, how did you know that only Nigerian graduates are treated like crap when they apply for jobs. What substantiating proof do you have to back up your claim. Has it ever occurred to you that they could be discriminated against not because of how they speak or by their color? As a black man in this country (USA) you have to be twice as good as the other person to be reckoned with, racism is still everywhere in case you're sill in your little I'm too good fantasy Island. Have a great day! Peace!

Oh! lest I forget Ms. Grammarian, the word etc is not grammatically correct when used in ending a sentence o; I is just says I should let you no ma. Loosen up! Chikena!
grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by ufuoma24(m): 12:54pm On Nov 12, 2007
Instead of coming up with divurgent excuses and thesis for our inabilities, i suggest we work towards finding a solution to the ridiculous situation that we nigerians now find ourselves in.

True, we are africans but ENGLISH happens to be our lingua franca. perfection is an illusion but we can at least strive to do better in our usage of the language.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by DBash(m): 11:27pm On Nov 30, 2007
I have no problem with the good point you raised Mr. Rubbermaid, it's only that you made it look a bit crucifying. You should know that there is no such thing as a perfect Englishman when it comes to the flow & gramma of English language. I also have a problem with you sounding like a reservative by saying that you cannot teach anybody, that you are saving all you know for your presentations, etc.
If you know the law of multiplication, you will know that the more you give the more you get & If you hold on only to your self, the little you have will even begin to vapourate away, no matter how much you try to update yourself through books & attending classes.

What I can say is that "Let there be an openness in everyone that would want to ask any question(s) to always go ahead & do that"
I believe there are enough good fellows here or should I say good Nairalanders who would always respond to such questions without hesitation

I believe we are Brothers & Sisters here!!! One Love!!!
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by topeteadr(m): 12:32pm On Dec 01, 2007
Guy's, no one is perfect. We all hv defects in our ways, and GOD didn't make any one perfect.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by topeteadr(m): 12:32pm On Dec 01, 2007
Hey, no one is perfect. We all hv defects in our ways, and GOD didn't make any one perfect.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by bgees(m): 12:43am On Dec 02, 2007
As long we understand these people,then i think there is absolutely no problem.
This sort of point you are making only came up in my primary and secondary school days.but during my time at d univ.we ignored these people who made grammatical errors.my point is that your are being very immature and inconsiderate.if you were educatd in a good way,it doesnt mean its d same for others.
You are not perfect with the english grammar(i am sure) many english men are not.
Many famous novelist,journalist and reporters make mistakes so who are you?
In school,i learnt so many things about d society and its limited resources,so we all cant have equal opportunities.
Whats our purpose in life?is it not to make a difference?
You talk of nigerian graduates being turned down due to lack of their proficiency with d english language.thats not true to a large extent.i've met bank branch managers,med.doctors and engineers from home and abroad who are on top of their games and who are not very good with english.
If they make a point with their posts,then there is no problem.

If u leave nairaland today,no one would miss you.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by souless: 2:37pm On Dec 03, 2007
This is a forum for the love of God. As long as people are understood what's all the hoopla about writing correct English, have you gone on any of the sites that are US based? Why don't you go tell them to correct their grammar errors. You people just waste time on things that are totally inconsequential.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by sylvex(f): 6:48pm On Dec 03, 2007
Missy/Mister, speaking of grammartical blunders did u check ur thread for grammartical errors b4 posting? The fact that u av a good command of English Lang dosen't make u a good grammarian & neither does it give u the audacity to stick-out ur tongue and lash-out at others. if u know or feel u've got the command of the lingua franca why not publish a Dic so others wud learn or better still tutor us. Sure, we all know the state of our schools including the tertairy institutions is a major problem affecting our youths cuz good grammaarians are not empolyed to tutor the students and neither is our govt helping matters.

basically, from ur write-up it's pretty obvious u must be an English tutor if not a lecturer.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by bgees(m): 7:43pm On Dec 03, 2007
Matter of factly,her post is not correct.there are some grammatical error in ur post.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by sylvex(f): 8:56am On Dec 04, 2007
bet, missy/mister grammarian is gonna find cool errors (grammartical) in that post, I promise it will not only maim u, it will castrate u if u are a male or mutilate u if u are a female. grin grin grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by divanaija1: 9:13am On Dec 04, 2007
@ Poster.- So is u can spoke English lik this eh,another manns langag 4 that mata?? plaes tesh me cus me i can'st kno how ta spoke it o,but i uncanstand every Nairalanders bullet grin.

Why do ya hav ta wait ta be banned anyway U can ban yrself jare n save yrself b4 ours inglish killed u patapata o.A words is enof 4 hte wiser grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by ademiife(m): 4:43pm On Dec 04, 2007
rubbermaid,

the fire you set on this thread has become a cataclysmic conflagration!

for me, i found your piece amusing and not offensive; and you made sense too!
i'd assume you know as folks we take things differently, and many folks don't find
criticisms funny.

i subscribe to using good english: hard as we may try some of us will not come to a mastery
of that language. none the less, no one should give up in this effort. but how do we learn
if we don't practise constantly? how do we improve if there's no one willing to teach? do you really think there's one who doesn't want to communicate fluently?

very true that english is our lingua franca, [it's very interesting that the lagos state legislature is seeking to make yoruba the official language in the legislative chamber, according to news report].

instructively, even the mother tongue[s] that many of us clamour for, how many of us
can truly and effectively use it [them]? sometimes, it appears we're living in a borrowed
world of borrowed cultures and philosophies; borrowed world of traditions and technologies.

things are really complicated than some of us trying to make them simplistic. i'll say let's really try hard as much as possible to improve in our use of english, it's a world wide web and others are reading [to benefit] too.

is the roof still on fire? i no fit s[h]out eeh!
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Nobody: 5:57pm On Dec 04, 2007
ademiife:

rubbermaid,

the fire you set on this thread has become a cataclysmic conflagration!

for me, i found your piece amusing and not offensive; and you made sense too!
i'd assume you know as folks we take things differently, and many folks don't find
criticisms funny.

i subscribe to using good english: hard as we may try some of us will not come to a mastery
of that language. none the less, no one should give up in this effort. but how do we learn
if we don't practise constantly? how do we improve if there's no one willing to teach? do you really think there's one who doesn't want to communicate fluently?

very true that english is our lingua franca, [it's very interesting that the lagos state legislature is seeking to make yoruba the official language in the legislative chamber, according to news report].

instructively, even the mother tongue[s] that many of us clamour for, how many of us
can truly and effectively use it [them]? sometimes, it appears we're living in a borrowed
world of borrowed cultures and philosophies; borrowed world of traditions and technologies.

things are really complicated than some of us trying to make them simplistic. i'll say let's really try hard as much as possible to improve in our use of english, it's a world wide web and others are reading [to benefit] too.

is the roof still on fire? i no fit s[h]out eeh!

this your ninglish, na wa o. i fear o. I beg which one be "cataclysmic conflagration" grin .

I no fit laugh too. grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by divanaija1: 6:02pm On Dec 04, 2007
OlowoTee:

this your ninglish, na wa o. i fear o. I beg which one be "cataclysmic conflagration" grin .
I no fit laugh too. grin

He's got ta impress the Rubbermaid  grin  grin   grin i canst raed read his inglish sef  grin too muchy grammer  grin  grin   grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 04, 2007
the vocabularies in his post tire me oooooo. . . grin

Rubbermaid just got to be impressed by fire by force. . . . just kidding

@Rubbermaid
Please, don't leave us Nairalanders , we are still brethren. wink . . .Don't let ningrish seperate us! kiss
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by pmdaboh(f): 7:08pm On Dec 04, 2007
I am an African American woman married to a Nigerian man, and prayerfully he will soon join me.  When I first came on Nairaland and read the way many Nigerians were writing and expressing themselves, I really thought it was another language (broken down).  Until I read what Rubbermaid wrote today, I had no idea that was suppose to be English.

I agree with Rubbermaid that many Nigerians need to improve their written language, but I think "refusing to participate any further on Nairaland because of it" is pompous--to say the least.  Perhaps if Rubbermaid wrote consistently in correct grammar, then others will see the need for improvement and know how to correct their errors.

Being an educator, Business Education Teacher and Department Head of Technology, I admire the written and spoken word.  Being able to present yourself in a professional manner is of the utmost importance when applying for various positions, for you not only represent yourself, but you are also representing that company or organization.  However, I believe Rubbermaid was very harsh in the way she addressed the issue. 

My husband is Ijaw, and I am learning to speak and write in Ijaw.  As Americans, we should not think the "world is English, and if anyone wants to communicate with us, they better learn English".  I love learning Ijaw, and I know one Yoruba word (o da ro/goodnight).  I was VERY IMPRESSED with how many languages Nigerians know how to speak. We Americans learn English (by birth) and other languages that are incorpoated in our school curriculum.  But because we do not use those other languages learned in school on a regular basis (French, Spanish, Chinese, German and others), we lose the ability to speak them.  Yet Lagos, Nigeria, who has so many rich cultures dwelling together, is full of diverse languages.  This was one thing I LOVED about Lagos, Nigeria when I was there for two weeks.  I GREATLY ADMIRE the way Nigerians can speak in several languages, and it has birthed a desire in me to learn more languages too.

Yes, many Nigerians need to learn to write and punctuate English correctly, but "WE ALL NEED IMPROVING" in something in life.  No one is an exception to that--not even Rubbermaid.

Patricia

Be tuwapereh (tuwapereh/blessed in Ijaw)!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lala247 Has Deactivated! / PHOTO: How Many Animals Can You See? / Kenneth Kaunda Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.