Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,903 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish (5721 Views)

Seun Please Ban My Account.... Till The End Of The World / Ban Me / Una Don Ban Me Again Abi? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by spoilt(f): 10:41pm On Mar 04, 2008
I really do not blame the original poster.
Some days i sign on and the bad grammar just jumps off the screen at me and makes me cringe in horror. I know a typo when i see one. These are no typos!! These English murderers are predominantly in the romance and sexuality section. When i see the title of the thread, i know already that its going to be one of those threads. I wonder why seun wont at least correct the titles. They really do put you off. To think that English is supposed to be our lingua franca. These people are not in the least interested in improving their vocabulary by reading or watching things that really matter.
The other day i heard a guy telling a woman, "i loves you". shocked shocked shocked shocked
The whole world and it's sister knows it is "I LOVE YOU". for chrissakes what is going on?! grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by ayomifull(f): 6:31pm On Mar 06, 2008
Our problem is that we don't read, an average Nigerian who can express him/herself in english language irrespective of if the english is correct or not believes he/she has known it all and careless about improvement. Our reading culture is nothing to write home about, when next you are travelling by air take a look around and see how many black people are reading. Someone once said the best way to keep something from us is to put the thing inside a book and drop it on our table and that the person will come back to meet it there intact. We all need to learn and keep learning.

Having said that, i want us to also note that nairaland is not visited by graduates only even secondary school drop outs are here, its obvious from their composition and even their contributions (irrespective of either the english is correct or not) and also bearing on mind that correct usage of the language has to be learned and most people only stopped at government secondary schools where the teacher's attitude is 'ogo ta ogo ota owo alaaru ape.

I work in a call center and speak to an average of 70 people a day and believe me when some of the so called 'oyinbos' speaks english you would almost be tempted to ask 'what country are you from' especially those ones we call 'adamodi'. Well, there is always room for improvement so lets all keep learning but believe me with the handling of education in our dear country and the number of hard baked litterates, this is one thing that will forever be - poor speaking poor writting.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by topkin(m): 10:38pm On Mar 07, 2008
Sincerely nairalanders can "Decimate" one with their english.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Gamine(f): 10:19pm On Mar 18, 2008
Lol.

Well naija English go foreva get K-leg, no be our fault sha
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by janami(f): 7:35pm On Mar 19, 2008
i just beleive say na everyday english them dey use.just shows how comfortable they are on the site. also shows their level of acceptance of the site. nuttin more. though some people's level of English is quite bad, but then, i dey just follow the flow of things. who mk me english teacher? if the poster feels so passionate about nairalanders' english, mk she start an english tutoring thread, abi? there is smtg about affecting our world positively. me, i just dey enjoy nl ninglish go o.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by topkin(m): 11:34pm On Mar 23, 2008
Even with all the corrections so people have decided not to change shocked
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by janami(f): 8:47am On Mar 28, 2008
top_kin:

Even with all the corrections so people have decided not to change shocked
change ke? grin did u not read thru the original poster's English too. is "learned" an english word? and that is just one word i will bring out from some otherstongue remove the plank from ya eye first o!
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Frankies(m): 3:02pm On Mar 31, 2008
Rubbermaid:

Dear Seun - Nairaland Moderator,

This is a formal request asking that you ban me [quickly] from your forum. Please do so before the level of English Ninglish used here kills, maims, or adulterates my own command of proper English grammar.  cry

Following my recent visits,  I have left Nairaland wondering what in heaven's name is happening in Nigerian classrooms? What has happened to those days of yore when you were drilled until you mastered correct usage of English grammar by Primary three?!

For example,  I clicked on the discussion item at the top of the 'hot list' today and almost suffered a fatal blow when the poster started with "Have you ever sit, " I understand occasional 'slip-ups' however, the repeated instances on this forum has lead me to believe that these folks just never [b]learned proper English, or have not bothered to keep up by reading [/b] well written literature or revisiting early lessons from time to time (and as needed).

I am now officially fed-up with Ninglish and would like to turn-in my Nairaland membership before irreparable damage is done. I will now be  moving over to the Nigerian Village Square. Nigerians there seem to have better control of the language. Ironically, they seem to make better sense too.

Respectfully,

Rubbermaid.

PS - English is your friend. Blame those who made it our national language. Peace.

You are part of the crime.

You should say ''has led'' not has lead. kiss kiss kiss

All(except me) have sinned and come short of the glory wink wink
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by amaikama(m): 2:56pm On May 12, 2008
Poster! are you a Nigerian? if yes! what was your first sentence as a child and what was your ninglish when growing up before you went to America, the land of "ENGLISH" and if you are not a Nigerian, i suggest you hold your peace. our tongues are quiet different when it come to pronunciation. We don't ground our teeth just to stretch letters.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by debosky(m): 2:53pm On Jan 05, 2009
amaikama:

Poster! are you a Nigerian? if yes! what was your first sentence as a child and what was your ninglish when growing up before you went to America, the land of "ENGLISH" and if you are not a Nigerian, i suggest you hold your peace. our tongues are quiet different when it come to pronunciation. We don't ground our teeth just to stretch letters.

Bros you meant grind grin

Wetin 'grinding' get to do with typing Abi na mouth naija people dey use type for nairaland grin grin

I agree with the poster to some extent, the sanctimonious nature of the post was obvious as well - in addition to the little mistakes made by the poster himself/herself showing none of us is immune from occasional slip ups. If you nor like am - waka pass, or try correct them in your own little way. wink

I'd prefer that people type in pidgin rather than continuously murder the 'proper' English. Stick to what you're comfortable with. In fact, there are threads dedicated to speaking in our indigenous languages - you can patronize those as well. grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Tgirl4real(f): 3:53pm On Jan 05, 2009
Ahem!

Well talk . . . emmm . . . i mean well spoke undecided oh sorry . . . well speaking

Abeg i no fit kill myself. Ingrish no be ma mama language lipsrsealed

u talk well debo tongue
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Hesperus(m): 4:21pm On Jan 05, 2009
janami:

change ke? grin did u not read through the original poster's English too. is "learned" an english word? and that is just one word i will bring out from some otherstongue remove the plank from ya eye first o!
Yes it is!!! Tho am not supporting the poster, granted that some naija peeps speak bad english but then, they shdnt be crucified for it. Afterall, na grammar we wan chop?
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Jarus(m): 6:42pm On Jan 05, 2009
Mr. Grammar police,
You should realize that this is online forum, where people type fast, and don't even bother to edit before posting. I am a member of some foreign forums, including American bigsoccer, and the story is almost the same everywhere.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by fireangels(f): 9:49pm On Jan 05, 2009
Jarus:

Mr. Grammar police,
You should realize that this is online forum, where people type fast, and don't even bother to edit before posting. I am a member of some foreign forums, including American bigsoccer, and the story is almost the same everywhere.

i beg to disagree with d alighted statement

what wld u say abt dis
dis doesn't luk like a typo error to moi,
na aboniki i take rub my head when i see dis thread
no be by force to write English
type in pidgin or Yoruba even Ibo
HABA!!!

I Need your Couragement I Was Drive Out from D school In My Final Year
Please i need u courage i am in my final year i was drive out in my school bco i ask my friend a question in d exam hall.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-9640.0.html
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Hesperus(m): 12:45am On Jan 06, 2009
fireangel$:

i beg to disagree with d alighted statement

what would u say about this
this doesn't luk like a typo error to moi,
na aboniki i take rub my head when i see this thread
HABA!!!

Me too I beg to disagree with you! Upon all your forming ITK. I'm sure you meant to write "highlighted" not "alighted", as they have totally different meanings! Oya, talk another thing now.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by H2O2: 12:46am On Jan 06, 2009
ROFLOL

Yuna no go kill me grin grin YE
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by fireangels(f): 8:29am On Jan 06, 2009
Hesperus:

Me too I beg to disagree with you! Upon all your forming ITK. I'm sure you meant to write "highlighted" not "alighted", as they have totally different meanings! Oya, talk another thing now.

LMAO

did not even notice
abeg i no dey form o!!!
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by sevenseas(m): 8:33am On Jan 06, 2009
HABA!!!

correct. english na for english people.

wazobia na for nigeria people.

nigbati, eze, du allah
grin cheesy grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Gabry(f): 9:28am On Jan 06, 2009
I had a friend whom could write aqnd speak English very very well! And guess what is she today? A garbage Woman! HA!  grin

Poster. . . who cares about who dey speak in whateva english? This is a forum. . .  this aint English school girl.   angry

And so you want Seun to ban you because of this? damn. . . it comes to say that you only will befriend with people whom could converse and write well in english. . . Are you human?

Ok, if you no go like ninglish, how about singlish? grin I can speak in Singlish and Manglish well well for you now if you want me to instead of Pidgin english
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Hesperus(m): 2:47am On Jan 07, 2009
fireangel$:

LMAO

did not even notice
abeg i no dey form o!!!
LOL!. . .Seen.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by dplo(m): 5:27am On Jan 12, 2009
omo,grammar plenty for here oooooooooo
am sure you people are talking this way to impress each other,some people go get intimated by grammar for here
kai,all these ones they speak english,,,am sure everybody here have got masters and other higher cert wink
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by Gabry(f): 1:57am On Jan 13, 2009
da poster be olodo
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by MaiSuya(m): 9:28pm On Jan 13, 2009
kai! kai! see grammer! me I no go am por skool o! I just dey manage my small suya joint o! BTW which one be ninglish sef. this poster na real hypocrit. As Jarus rightly pointed out, such grammatical mistakes can be found in most forums, even those based in England.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by babsongudus: 8:52am On Jan 16, 2009
@poster
Garlic! Mr. Englishie! u r so proud. U think u can only write and speak English language correctly? hell no!(SOME BRITISH/PROFS DO MAKE MISTAKES wen it coms to writtin/speakin in English). Havin gone thru ur acclaim n insultive grammer nonsense, i found out some mistakes. Well u' r not perfect n u can neva be! so beware n stop typin shits b4 u gt ur miserable fingers shove into barbecue grill. and i gat this for u, punk-ass, u gat ur unhelpful grammer, but my dear, i gat the money-thank God i am a millionaire
note: i m not here to disrepect/judge/find it hard to take to corrections (anybody may correct my mistake(s)), but to let dem mudder4kers know that we r all here in this forum/world to learn. If not, why do we still take Youruba/ Igbo/ Hausa language as main subject even to the UNI level despite we r Yoruba/ Igbo/ Hausa etc.? To me, dat shows how hard these languages cud be perfectly/fully understood
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by dplo(m): 12:36am On Jan 18, 2009
@ babsongudus
thank uuuuuuuuu,lol cheesy
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by chidimarc(m): 8:52am On Oct 05, 2009
Gbo go sìt down 4 gutter.
Language is basically for communication and transfer of ideas, so it doesn't matter so long as the parties involved understand each other. What's more ? I some of us find these posts more interesting when garnished with such stuffs you are out to criticise. So you take a break and learn not to be "wise where ignorance is bliss" Cheers !
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by posakosa(m): 11:35pm On Nov 13, 2009
This is the FUNNIEST post I have read in a LOONG time. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by kabola2009(m): 8:28pm On Dec 27, 2009
I have never come across this type of thread in my life. It is amazing reading all the posts. I think the original poster came-up with a good idea but the way she presented it then was terrible. I believe that nobody is an island of knowledge but we should try to improve on our self. Though, educational sector in Nigeria is in terrible state to the extent that am scared of writing English a times but nevertheless, we still need to improve on the usage of grammar. I rest my case for now

NB: help correct my grammar!
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by OAM4J: 4:59am On Dec 28, 2009
Na wao. I enjoyed reading this thread. grin

I mean, so funny when the 'correctors' are being corrected  grin

I will say let's communicate, try to improve and tolerate others.

'abinibi yato si ability'

NB
to be safe on this thread, you are either so damm sure of yourself, or try to joke round it or sign a disclaimer.

My disclaimer - Pls forgive any noticed error  grin
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by etaurus(m): 12:22pm On Jan 04, 2010
Nigerians believe English is not really necessary in our lives.
No qualms about that. You can confirm from some of our brothers especially the Hausas.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by gameaddict(m): 12:57pm On Feb 28, 2010
Much Ado About English!

When will you people learn? Nigerians! Always worrying about the wrong things.

I'd rather see the popes butt than work myself up with 99.9% of the issues Nigerians concern themselves with. e.g. Seun. Everywhere, he's always proclaiming; "I'm a capitalist to the core!" , LIKE WHO CARES?

NIGERIANS!

PS: I wrote this reply as a joke. Contact Mutallab if it ain't funny. But seriously, some things just don't cut it.
Re: Please Ban Me Before Nairalanders Kill Me With Their Ninglish by maedan(f): 8:03pm On Feb 28, 2010
No one is perfect, as even Rubbermaid has shown with her own bomb: ". . .has LEAD me to believe. . ." which you can find deep in her post. Of course it could be an overzealous typo, OR it could be a sign that both in speech and writing, there should always be room for error.

That said though, some people for this site no jus' dey try!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jamb Result Is Valid For How Many Years? / Kenneth Kaunda Is Dead / PHOTO: How Many Animals Can You See?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.