Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. (1675 Views)

Help Me... My Mum Is Making Me Depressed. / Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? / Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 02, 2011
Well I had a word with my dad 2night and he told me he can't fund my msc and phd abroad. He offerred to pick the bill if I did it in nigeria. I just can't believe this, I am really disturbed I don't have a problem with studying till phd level I even came out as one of the best students during my Bsc and I sort of like lecturing but, will I be able to compete with my mates that have gone abroad for their msc. I believe with the promises I have shown in being a good child I should be rewarded with an Msc abroad. I know my siblings are still in school but is that enough reason to put me in this rat race in nigeria after my nysc 6 months ago I have only gotten a job with a poor pay necessitating me deciding to go for further studies and aim lecturing but I never thought my dad will ask me to sweat it out in nigeria . A good number of people I thought tutorials in school are now abroad running their msc's so I have abandoned my facebook page cos it's just too disturbing seeing them. To say that I am battling inferiority complex is to put it lightly. What will my future look like with an msc and phd in nigeria am I sure if I pursue an msc and a phd I will land a lecturing job? I read engineering and have a 2:1 in my bsc but what hope do I have that if I pursue an msc and phd I will land a decent lecturing job? I know I shouldn't be unappreciative atleast my dad has offered to pay my msc and phd bills but I just did not think I will have to sweat it out getting msc and phd here in nigeria again. Do you think I am paranoid over nothing? Do you think I still got it together .Please experienced people should talk to me I am about loosing my mind and I am 24years old now and my plans seem to be going another way and I can't seem to get a grip on it thanks.
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by 2mch(m): 1:41am On Dec 03, 2011
Research the schools you want to attend and the programs that are in line with your future ambitions first! Then try to see what scholarship programs they have available. I will suggest you dont waste time with MSC, go and do your PhD straight if you can and if you are accepted. You will have to do a lot of work to get into a PhD program directly. I am quite surprised that at 24 you get so depressed easily when you dont have your way, you should be thinking of your next plan of action. You cant force your father to pay for what he cannot afford. You can also settle for a PhD program in Nigeria, who knows you may turn out to be our first renowned scientist or lecturer from a Nigerian university. grin. Just remember that as long as there is life, there is hope if you are willing to try. Education is not a right, it is a privilege. Your dad has done his part, it is time for you to do your own part. Never compare your life with anyone else. At the end of the day it is the ending that matters not the beginning. No matter what in life, we may not get what we want the first time, but we have to keep trying and something will work itself out. Goodluck
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by HISchild: 8:20am On Dec 03, 2011
"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." - Phil 4:6-7 (be careful = be anxious, for nothing).
-----

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." - Matt 6:33
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by Loveaflame(m): 11:10am On Dec 03, 2011
Depressed over what.My dear pull yourself together.Thank God for your father who was able to send you to school and he is still ready to sponsor you to any level provided it's in Nigeria.Not many are that opportune.You should be grateful to God.

I see no reason for your depression you just have to improvise that's all.THERE ARE MANY PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA.You can attend any of them.If your dad refuses to approve your plans you can make do with what he want and still pursue your ambition later in life.

Be encouraged when their is life their is hope.
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 03, 2011
Was it not u that had issues with a girl? Now it's your dad, my friend you've got issues

1 Like

Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by Fhemmmy: 3:15pm On Dec 03, 2011
I think if i were you, i will appreciate the fact that your father is willing to even sponsor your education up to phd level if you do it in Nigeria, there are so many father that would now turn to you to sponsor your siblings through university, cos you are done.

Like someone said above, research the schools and see what kinda scholarships are available to you . . . . .

You are old enough to take the mantle of your life and fight it out. . . . . Good luck
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by shushu(f): 6:30pm On Dec 03, 2011
lets assume your dad has no money to sponsor you for an msc or phd.what will be your next course of action?
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 03, 2011
Well @jenny I never said I had issues with my dad I only said the choice he has given me is quite diificult and I needed words from people on here to snap me into shape.I know I have to be grateful but because I never saw this coming it sort of swept me off balance and I couldn't beleive it got me really disturbed .I have to restrategise now which I am doing . I only want people who have experienced such disappointments and have come out better to encourage me and thank God so many people have spoken and I feel better. For the first time in a long time I am rehearsing my music piece and I also performed with my orchestra group 2night. Thanks y'all. @shushu I'll simply take up any kinda job that can sustain me till I earn da phd as long as I don't get married in btw I should be able to pay through a public naija univ even if I means odd jobs presently sef I am earning something it's just that it's not good enuff to lay back on and since I love lecturing I think it's just safe for me to pursue the phd.
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by shushu(f): 7:47pm On Dec 03, 2011
what you have written above i.e taking up a job till you achieve your dream, is exactly what a large part of the human race does before achieving or attaining their dream.
aha you have classical music to keep your soul active, well done
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by Outstrip(f): 2:49am On Dec 04, 2011
What do you know about your father's finances? Why do you think that your PHD overseas is the financially smart thing for him to do at this point in his life? I think you need to snap out of this funk. You have many options available to you but you seem to want to use this excuse not to do better than you are doing now
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by Roland17(m): 3:56am On Dec 04, 2011
Have you considered the fact that you have younger siblings in school too?, imagine if all of them have same aspiration as you do(which is not bad) how do u expect your parents to breath? you want them to steal?

My dear am not discouraging you from pursuing your dreams, cos am pursuing same dream in the states. but you must realize that all fingers are not equal, your parents would not raise an eyebrow if they can afford and cope with sending you abroad to study, he is proving how much he loves you by even promising to sponsor you in Nigeria.

There are many schools abroad that offer 100% scholarship, why not try them out, write the required exams and then every other thing would fall into place.

LIFE IS NOT ABOUT HOW FAR, BUT HOW WELL,
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by obowunmi(m): 4:36pm On Dec 04, 2011
Can you go to Ghana?
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by earthrealm(m): 5:02pm On Dec 04, 2011
search for scholarships, the ongoing ptdf scholarship is a good place to start
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 04, 2011
@obowunmi feed me some info pls feed me some info you never know @ earthrealm I will try that thanks y'all.
Re: Iam Depressed Encourage Me Or Tell Me What I Ain't Seeing. by obowunmi(m): 9:14pm On Dec 04, 2011
Schooling in Ghana is a good option for people who can't go abroad.

(1) (Reply)

July Birthdays Checkin-in Here / Meet The Young Lady Who Claim Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Of COZA Has Slept With / Groom Flees Bride Upon Seeing His Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.