Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,882 members, 7,844,842 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? (4983 Views)

Switzerland, Here I Come! / Can I Come Back And Marry Her? / America Here I Come (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by chinani(f): 5:45am On Mar 12, 2006
i dont know if you should stay or go. my humble advice is to return.

if you go back to naija, you can still return to the states as a doctor. spend the rest of your time here MEETING & NETWORKING W/ everyone and anyone who will hear you but ESPECIALLY[b] DOCTORS[/b]. look into post-bacc. programs. (the one at the University of Penn is great! as well as UCONN or Johns Hopkins). don't worry about those who tell you that it's a waste of money. i have uncles & cousins who are doctors in the U.S. let me tell you if the post-baac program leads you to be a doc in the U.S. then it's worth it. i have a friend & both her parents trained as doctors in Nigeria and then came here. they had to re-train or whatever but they both say that it was worth it.

i dont know what state you are in, but go into a hospital and ask questions about their residency program. see if you can apply for their residency program etc. i'd advise that you go and ask face to face and do not leave w/o contact information. (this means phone number, email, & mailing address!!!) do this w/ several hospitals b/c then when you go back to NAIJA you will know what to look for, how to contact people, how to address them and even what questions to ask. if you do this. if you pursue it doggedly i KNOW that you will make a friend or someone to champion for you!!! meanwhile, back in NAIJA work hard as usual. that way, when it's time to get a recommendation there will be NO PROBLEMS.

my advice. go back to nigeria and re-enter legally w/ your financee/wife. this may take 2 years but I believe it will be worth it! please, tell us what you decide.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by princeonx: 6:23am On Mar 12, 2006
Listen Bros! if anyone here tell you that life is easy in America whether on visa or illegally, that person is lying! and if anyone here also tell you that you'll not survive in America, that person is also lying! America will make you or break you it all depend on you. 100K in Nigeria is a big money and at the same time a small money depend on what you're satisfied with. 7yrs ago before coming to America I was making almost double of that working with a construction company. I got a 3months visa to America and didn't even leave Lagos till after about 6weeks leaving me with about 6weeks visa left. I had sleepless night in a New York hotel thinking exactly the same thing you're thinking right now (should I stay or go back to Nigeria) even after my vacation in Nigeria expired I had someone call my boss saying I have serious cold and I need doctors attention for another 5 weeks just to buy more time from my job while I was still thinking of what to do. Every siren that goes by seems and sound like they're coming for me! My return ticket expired but the air-line said I can still use it and pay some extra money. I did some research and found out that you can extend visa while in America (Do you have your I-94? that's good for 3months and can be extended once before expiration) I extended mine for 3months and before it expired, I exchange my visa to a difference status (F-1 student) they gave me 3yrs. That wasn't easy too you have to have someone that is willing to sponsor your education and ALL other expenses cux you're not allowed to work under student visa, you're not qualify for financial aid, and don't even think of scholarship after all that visa switching.  I got a job on campus which allows only 20hours a week and pays minimum wage about $6 an hour. I did almost any job you can think of from mauling grass in the Summer to snow Shoveling in the Winter, ice-cream selling in the Summer to cab driving in the Winter! all these is to raise money for school (3times native American student fee) and ofcox folks at home! YOU MUST BE IN SCHOOL or else you lose your visa status and working outside campus is illegal and can get you on the next flight so I did all these jobs cux you don't need a work permit to do them all you need is a valid Drivers license. To cut stories short, I went through hell just to see if the other side leads to heaven. I've been a U.S cityzen for almost 2yrs now, I have a full time job that pays about $38K and part time that I make about $9Kplus a year so do the math. I'm still working on my degree so bros like someone already said here, the shoe is on your foot! It worked for me, I'm very! very!! very!!! happy and I'm sure most immigrant here are too! My only regret was my fiance back home things changed between us! I don't know how you're going to handle things with yours but all the same, GOOD LUCK!
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by princeonx: 6:28am On Mar 12, 2006
ol'boy I must really feel your pain oh I never write this kind long psalm before! Anyhow shaa! Also look into some job program that can admit your on work visa! they have such program in Canada! but bros whatever you do don't let your visa or i-94 expire on you! you can't extend or exchange any expired status/Visa them go say make you go your home town go do that!
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by c0dec(m): 1:18pm On Mar 12, 2006
prince_onx:

ol'boy I must really feel your pain oh I never write this kind long psalm before!

LMAO
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 12:50am On Mar 13, 2006
my man blablabla,
life is a risk,make a choice and stand by it.if u choose nigeria,it is also fraught with a lot of risks.things can turn around suddenly in that unstable country.if u are not in PDP u are not sure of anything.if u choose to remain in the states. the worst that can happen is u live a low life for a few yrs and when u stabilise u would forget the past.as a doctor when u stabilise,i tell u, the sky will be ur limit.
how many doctors in nigeria are thinking of taking off?i guess u know the answer.

man,maintain,no mind them,u dey God's own country,debate no dey dis thing,find ur level and may God bless u

wink
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by allonym: 1:05am On Mar 13, 2006
you have been in the us for only a couple days and already you see life can be much better than in nigeria. This . . .sadly, cannot really be disputed that much.

What I suggest is that you think long and hard about the direction you want your life to go and the impact you would like to make on nigeria. If you really don't care about nigeria too much, and feel that life for yourself is a much more important goal, then nigeria is probably not the place for your. As a medical doctor, you will be in a much better position in the USA than nigeria.

If on the other hand, you plan on making some impact on Nigeria, you will have to determine how you plan on doing that? As a doctor, your are also in a great position to do that, by giving quality healthcare, not cheating your patients, etc. You can also work at mentoring younger doctors to follow your example, constantly work towards changing the leadership in nigeria through legal democractic non-corrupt processes.

There are many factors that go into this decision and if you're serious, should probably not be taken lightly.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by oasis: 4:02am On Mar 13, 2006
Legal status is very important in America.  Everything rides on your social security number, and if you don't have one legally, Nigeria is a better option.

I don't really know how hard it is to get work as an illegal alien.  An estimated 20 million Mexicans live in the US illegally.  They're all working.  How is that possible?  Well, Mexicans are known to create fake documents and sell them to illegals, or they may use legal papers of relatives.  Since, most employers don't check legal status, the fake papers work.  Also, illegal aliens can apply for a work-only social security card, to enable them pay taxes to the USA.

I don't think America deports illegal aliens, except in rare circumstances where the person is considered a threat to national security.  Getting into America is the difficult part.  Once you're in, you're ok.

However, as an illegal alien, employers will try to take advantage of you, even if they don't know your immigration status.  Only people living legally can fight them in such cases. Also, you can't get a driver's license without legal status, and it's tough in America if you don't drive.

Most illegal aliens earn minimum wage - about $6 an hour ($12,000 a year, working 40 hours a week).  After taxes, you may take home less than $10k.

If you're not staying in cities like NY or LA, a typical studio apartment costs $500/month to rent.  If you share an apartment, it'd cost about the same.  By the time you pay for transportation, gas, electricity, phone, cable tv, laundry, food, etc, you're left with nothing.

So, you have to take up extra jobs to make ends meet.  With another part-time job + weekend jobs, you can probably take home another $10,000 a year.  But trust me, you'd be returning home each day tired as a dog.

My advice is to return to Nigeria, and plan for another strategy.  Maybe try to get into a nursing school in America.  Since America is experiencing an acute shortage of nurses, chances are good that after graduation, a hospital would petition for legal status on your behalf.  They're allowed to do that.  Nurses earn at least $50,000/year as fresh graduates, and they work a ton of overtime hours too.

But the other problem is how to get a student visa in Nigeria to study in a nursing school, when you're already a medical doctor.

Your other option is to start a relationship with an American (http://www.oasisoflove.com). She has to come to Nigeria at least once to see you. After that, you can obtain a fiancee visa to enter the US. After marriage, green card, then naturalization.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by larger20(m): 4:51am On Mar 13, 2006
oasis:

Legal status is very important in America.  Everything rides on your social security number, and if you don't have one legally, Nigeria is a better option.

I don't really know how hard it is to get work as an illegal alien.  An estimated 20 million Mexicans live in the US illegally.  They're all working.  How is that possible?  Well, Mexicans are known to create fake documents and sell them to illegals, or they may use legal papers of relatives.  Since, most employers don't check legal status, the fake papers work.  Also, illegal aliens can apply for a work-only social security card, to enable them pay taxes to the USA.

I don't think America deports illegal aliens, except in rare circumstances where the person is considered a threat to national security.  Getting into America is the difficult part.  Once you're in, you're ok.

However, as an illegal alien, employers will try to take advantage of you, even if they don't know your immigration status.  Only people living legally can fight them in such cases. Also, you can't get a driver's license without legal status, and it's tough in America if you don't drive.

Most illegal aliens earn minimum wage - about $6 an hour ($12,000 a year, working 40 hours a week).  After taxes, you may take home less than $10k.

If you're not staying in cities like NY or LA, a typical studio apartment costs $500/month to rent.  If you share an apartment, it'd cost about the same.  By the time you pay for transportation, gas, electricity, phone, cable tv, laundry, food, etc, you're left with nothing.

So, you have to take up extra jobs to make ends meet.  With another part-time job + weekend jobs, you can probably take home another $10,000 a year.  But trust me, you'd be returning home each day tired as a dog.

My advice is to return to Nigeria, and plan for another strategy.  Maybe try to get into a nursing school in America.  Since America is experiencing an acute shortage of nurses, chances are good that after graduation, a hospital would petition for legal status on your behalf.  They're allowed to do that.  Nurses earn at least $50,000/year as fresh graduates, and they work a ton of overtime hours too.

But the other problem is how to get a student visa in Nigeria to study in a nursing school, when you're already a medical doctor.

Your other option is to start a relationship with an American (http://www.oasisoflove.com). She has to come to Nigeria at least once to see you. After that, you can obtain a fiancee visa to enter the US. After marriage, green card, then naturalization.

Mr oasis, i think i will get a profile in your website hehe. Remember you helped me in my online research? I still remember well. Regarding the price you mentioned, I will be moving to manhattan in april, average one bedroom apartment in manhattan is $1800 per month, so it will not be a place for illegal aliens, however if he still want to be in the city, then maybe brooklyn or northern Jersey will be a good option to get low cost share housing,
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by mustafar1: 6:13pm On Mar 13, 2006
even rent prices in those places have started to mutilate and evolve to somn more than all men can afford without drinking small garri
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by otokx(m): 6:48pm On Mar 13, 2006
have you sampled the jails in AMArica? better come back and continue with your 100k + jobs. People are living large with 30k and you are complaining.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by blablabla(m): 7:18pm On Mar 13, 2006
my people,

I thank all of you for taking the time to really talk to me, now I really know that the question came rather late, well, I thank Oasis, Kimba Prince onx, Chinani and everyother person the kind and even the unkind words, Seun, you wont really understand, Luridguy and Kasaliyaro, sorry to annoy you but I can say it to anybody anywhere and at anytime this our Nija is a HOPELESS case. but come to think of it, where will our salvation come from?

People I came back, against the wishes of my siblings there, against the wishes of some of my friends, I came back, am back on my beat, the traffic in apapa the other day after the rain brought me down to mother lagos.

I came back with new skills, new certfications to carry out health personnel training for industry, new contacts for marketing absolutely essential medical devices, commonplace in the USA, but not existing in Nigeria.

I now have a registered company to sell my new skills and devices, while planning the American attack for another day, God is good and am hopefull that the Nigerian factor wont catch up with me,

People, I fit not to leave my one and only, I fit not to marry oyibo, I fit not to leave NAIRALAND,

nairaland for life smiley
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by larger20(m): 7:29pm On Mar 13, 2006
blablabla:

my people,

I thank all of you for taking the time to really talk to me, now I really know that the question came rather late, well, I thank Oasis, Kimba Prince onx, Chinani and everyother person the kind and even the unkind words, Seun, you wont really understand, Luridguy and Kasaliyaro, sorry to annoy you but I can say it to anybody anywhere and at anytime this our Nija is a HOPELESS case. but come to think of it, where will our salvation come from?

People I came back, against the wishes of my siblings there, against the wishes of some of my friends, I came back, am back on my beat, the traffic in apapa the other day after the rain brought me down to mother lagos.

I came back with new skills, new certfications to carry out health personnel training for industry, new contacts for marketing absolutely essential medical devices, commonplace in the USA, but not existing in Nigeria.

I now have a registered company to sell my new skills and devices, while planning the American attack for another day, God is good and am hopefull that the Nigerian factor wont catch up with me,

People, I fit not to leave my one and only, I fit not to marry oyibo, I fit not to leave NAIRALAND,

nairaland for life smiley

I am curious how u got new health certification in just few weeks of your stay in the US, would u mind explaining further?
A registered company tosell your new skills and devices? Are making medical device? would u mind explaining?
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by blablabla(m): 7:55pm On Mar 13, 2006
well, I dont want to get into specifics, but am now sort of a small expert in HAZMAT operations, I have a hot new software from the US, EPA, I may be one of the few people who know about it in Nigeria, The other certifications and devices have to do with acute medical emergencies, This forum does not allow adverts, so I will leave it at that, am also not allowed to put my email here so, Seun over to you, how do I go to specifics without breaking the rules?
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by mochafella(m): 8:07pm On Mar 13, 2006
Good to see you returned, like I said earlier, a change like that requires more than 2 weeks of planning/consideration.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by Kokscity(m): 8:14pm On Mar 13, 2006
Hey Guys

Guess what? I was Banned for a while and all of a sudden, Kokscity got unbanned!!!!!

Funny how Seun Operates!

Well Kokscity is Back with his foul mouth and controversial opinions.

@Seun

Why did u let me back on NL?
I am shocked @ u. I guess you saw the light huh?
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by Kokscity(m): 8:15pm On Mar 13, 2006
Hey Mocha

What did i miss? Where is my girl Virozuru!
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by larger20(m): 8:47pm On Mar 13, 2006
Kokscity:

Hey Mocha

What did i miss? Where is my girl Virozuru!

she got pissed off at seun new rules and the way restriction applies here. So she left. We cerebrated her birthday yesterday. Some people cant just stand restriction and i dont blame her,
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by Seun(m): 8:50pm On Mar 13, 2006
This forum does not allow adverts

There's a Dedicated Nairaland Advert Forum. You can also use your signature like I use mine.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by Kokscity(m): 8:55pm On Mar 13, 2006
@Virozuru

Come back girl! Nairaland needs your opinions. Happy Birthday too

@Seun

I was shocked when i found out that u unbanned my A$$! Wow! what got into you?
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by Kokscity(m): 9:14pm On Mar 13, 2006
@Blalala

U are lucky that i was banned when you were asking the question. I think u made a mistake to go back. Like you said, Nigeria is absolutely hopeless and will fail you again. It is appalling that as a Doctor on the beat, you make about $700 per month. Please save the patriotic Bull$hit, i think you failed your offsprings with that gamble you just made. Depending on what state in the US u were in, i think u could have asked the right questions and been able to make stuff work.

But on the other hand, a part of me feels that you have not yet travelled, because some parts of your story has strange holes. When you enter the country you are given a I-94 that allows you to stay for 6months per visit. Then you said your vacation time was up in two weeks and that you were looking for a reason to stay longer. Then all of a sudden you now have all these new skills and certifications. I personally do not believe you came yet, or if you did, u have not left.

Kokscity has a sixth sense!!!
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by blablabla(m): 10:10pm On Mar 13, 2006
originally, I came for a course on hazmat training, and all my certifications, the intention had always been to come back, but the orderliness and efficiency of the health system really tempted me, and that was why I got confused,

I got only 14 days from the office, my ticket was for 14 days stay, my I-94 still has all the days plus my 14, but what would I stay to do, and men, I dont want to work 3 jobs no more, I do my single 100k job and do my runs from the side and plan for a better, longer visit next time.

if I had stayed my 6 months, next visa application becomes sort of dicey, the gamble? do you think I dont have nightmares about the worst case scenario?

but kokscity, GOD is on my side.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by Kokscity(m): 10:17pm On Mar 13, 2006
"My I-94 Has all the days, plus my 14"

Wow bro! What does that mean? If you stayed the whole six months then your Next Visa is Dicey? I thought u were contemplating staying in Yankee period? Well i will accept your story, but i am i not totally buying it. Hazmat training in what state? What Visa were u given for the training? U stayed 14days only and got all these certifications and new skills?

Kokscity is scratching his head!
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by Kokscity(m): 10:18pm On Mar 13, 2006
@Blalalala

Dude i still do not believe your story, it is very sensational, but your dates and story does not add up.I am sorry!!
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by blablabla(m): 10:26pm On Mar 13, 2006
i wish i could give you the specifics,

but nairaland is no mans land, circumspection is wisdom in this case.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by blablabla(m): 10:49pm On Mar 13, 2006
banning ke?
why would I lie? to who? for what?

kokscity, did I say anything about my visa expiring in my first post?
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by Kokscity(m): 11:00pm On Mar 13, 2006
Dude

Your first post was on the 10th of March and that means you arrived Nigeria today the 13th abi? My brother your Apex ticket would have forced you to leave on the 12th of March, putting you in Lagos on the 13th. And you said your I-94 gave you "SOMETHING PLUS YOUR 14DAYS".

Dude I live in the US, and have done so for many many years. I am not one of those JJC's that you can throw a story to and i will buy. You are in Nigeria now abi? Then tell me what Hazmat Training and what state you were in from Feb 26th when u arrived to March 12th when your Apex Ticket forced you to leave. U story just does not add up and i am will be the first to tell u that! Others may have just responded for the sensational value, but i need facts.It will not harm you in anyway to tell me what Hazmat training you came for and in what state in the Union u were in.

Kokscity is still scratching his head!!!!!
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by Kokscity(m): 11:34pm On Mar 13, 2006
@Blablabla

U are a medical doctor abi? U understand how hypothesis works abi? I am poking holes in your story and it is not passing the "Smell Test". Ur Visa did not expire and i never said it did. Your story gives me the impression that you had a Single Entry B1/B2 Visa, and an Apex Ticket that restricts your travel dates abi? But your dates/time frame, and all the sensationalism of the whole story all does not make sense. Well Others may disagree, but i think you are not telling the whole story. I think there is some gap in your story, and i you have yet to satisfy my itch.

It is Usual for Kokscity to "think out of the box".
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by chinani(f): 11:47pm On Mar 13, 2006
@ kokscity

some men talk to hear themselves. you are one of them, abi? for one, I DO NOT care if he has told the whole story b/c the central question "should I leave or should I stay" remains the same. I responded b/c I KNOW that others gave gone t/o this dilemma before and others may in the future. these others may or may not be doctors but if they GOOGLE the topic by chance or stumble on the forum, then reading some of the responses might be helpful.

I've read your posts & understand that you are excited to leave the ban/black list. But, can you spare us your investigative journalism By the way, telling a man that he made the WRONG decision after it's already made and can not be undone is definitely BAD TASTE. if you were banned, then you missed your opportunity to speak. please, let's move forward.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by chinani(f): 11:47pm On Mar 13, 2006
@ Blablabla

I'm glad you came to a decision. I know the future will treat you well.
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 11:51pm On Mar 13, 2006
welcome back kokscity.i never knew u were banned.been looking for u.
blablabla,against my advice u still went home.well i respect ur decision but i have only one thing to say.

[b][/b][/size][size=8pt[size=8pt]BIG MISTAKE
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 11:52pm On Mar 13, 2006
welcome back kokscity.i never knew u were banned.been looking for u.
blablabla,against my advice u still went home.well i respect ur decision but i have only one thing to say.

BIG MISTAKE
Re: Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 12:09am On Mar 14, 2006
i dnt think its a big mistake , i mean whats the point of studyin all ur life probably 6years or more plus the strike became a doctor all of a sudden start livin in yankee with no close relative working 3 or more jobs, just imagine clearin the streets and you told someone you are a qualified doctor , shocked

and remember this is all unplanned, u can atleast go back later well planned

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Morocco Tourist Visa / A Citizen Of An ECOWAS Country Needs To Visit Nigeria: What Do I Need? / Travel Guide To Banjul, Gambia From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.