Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:41 AM

Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? (23769 Views)

Dehlia Umunna Appointed Clinical Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School (Photo) / Hey! NEED the The Lagos Business School MBA...but don't have the N1.5 Million? / Lagos Business School MBA Students? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by Xfactoria: 9:15am On Dec 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

Internationals pay the full fees not all cash down but don't forget that a lot of international students are from countries like europe and asia where you can get a loan from a bank to go to a school. No naija bank would lend you such a huge sum of money. So the large majority of internationals loan money from the banks in their country. If you don't have that option u will have to try cosigners or access loans if you have a credit history in america.

I meant the best b schools in europe are in continental europe not england. After maybe be london business school most b schools in the uk don't have strong placements because the mba is in general an american phenomenon. U are ok with a masters degree or even undergraduate degree in the UK. Also in the UK/europe there is a big market for PhDs in like consultancy/finance firms in the city relative to america so they tend to hire PhD people in graduate schemes. This is true for germany where they have a PhD glut. So these end up being the associates in firms instead of MBA.

In general though the US is the best to go for an MBA but the cost and visa issues are kind of a deterrent. There are also a lot of one year MBAs in europe which are attractive.

SEFAGO:

In the past, many of the Ivy League schools have private loan schemes for international students that would not require a co-signer. But lately, a good number of them have cancelled the scheme. However, schools like Emory and Kenan-Flagler still do the loan schemes for their international students without co-signer and country of origin bias.

If one is looking to get some international work experience, then an MBA in Europe may not be really worth it because of this EU thing. You may likely not hook a job within a reasonable time. Just as you concluded, the US MBA programs are the most attractive is terms of quality and post MBA prospects.

OP:

Are you even sure that HBS would offer you admission in the first place? Those Ivy League schools would always tell you that, money is the least of your problem. Although I know that some of their students find their ways there because their family has got an endowment there, but 90% of their students made it there because of their quality. Attending Havard is not just about you having the money, you need to be of their expected quality.

About the job prospects, you will only be disappointed if you do not allow Havard to pass through you. If you leverage the alumni networks and the reps of the Havard MBA, you CANNOT be stranded!
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by AjanleKoko: 2:43pm On Dec 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Like it seems all these top guys in management earning the huge bucks all have MBAs. Least this is what I've observed.

This may be a stale link, from HBR no less. I reviewed it a while back, and I'm sure many people have seen it:

http://hbr.org/web/extras/100ceos/1-jobs

It's remarkable, when you look at that list (of 100 top-performing CEOs), six of the top ten, and the top 3 in fact, don't have MBAs. Not that they don't have other masters degrees, just that they don't have MBAs. Forget Jobs who is now dead, companies like Samsung, Amazon, Gazprom don't have MBA-minted CEOs.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by Lehman: 4:33pm On Dec 09, 2011
X-factoria:

SEFAGO:

In the past, many of the Ivy League schools have private loan schemes for international students that would not require a co-signer. But lately, a good number of them have cancelled the scheme. However, schools like Emory and Kenan-Flagler still do the loan schemes for their international students without co-signer and country of origin bias.

If one is looking to get some international work experience, then an MBA in Europe may not be really worth it because of this EU thing. You may likely not hook a job within a reasonable time. Just as you concluded, the US MBA programs are the most attractive is terms of quality and post MBA prospects.

OP:

Are you even sure that HBS would offer you admission in the first place? Those Ivy League schools would always tell you that, money is the least of your problem. Although I know that some of their students find their ways there because their family has got an endowment there, but 90% of their students made it there because of their quality. Attending Havard is not just about you having the money, you need to be of their expected quality.

About the job prospects, you will only be disappointed if you do not allow Havard to pass through you. If you leverage the alumni networks and the reps of the Havard MBA, you CANNOT be stranded!

Finally, a well informed poster.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 09, 2011
When you are through with the MBA, send me your resume. By then, my business must have become a Corporation. I will employ you.

I need Bill Gates' and Dangote's resume

Am growing in leaps and bounds.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by DisGuy: 11:21pm On Dec 09, 2011
okpara ugo:

When you are through with the MBA, send me your resume. By then, my business must have become a Corporation. I will employ you.

I need Bill Gates' and Dangote's resume

Am growing in leaps and bounds.

abi ooo that's what i don't get spend 40milla just to search for job with alhaji dangote's company when their official 'car' is not a chopper, na same go slow and pot holes
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by sabawex(m): 3:03pm On Dec 10, 2011
instead of spending your huge amount of money(#40million) on ivy league, why not take our our training course on "haulage and logistic business" the training is worth #5 million very useful for the following
1.new-bies in the business
2.those in construction company/(new or old)
3.those looking for new methodology of project cost reduction(construction)
4.new or existing civil engineer
5.researchers in the field
if interested,, notify sabawex2011@gmail.com
very elaboratory very affordable
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by SEFAGO(m): 11:28am On Dec 12, 2011
AjanleKoko:

This may be a stale link, from HBR no less. I reviewed it a while back, and I'm sure many people have seen it:

http://hbr.org/web/extras/100ceos/1-jobs

It's remarkable, when you look at that list (of 100 top-performing CEOs), six of the top ten, and the top 3 in fact, don't have MBAs. Not that they don't have other masters degrees, just that they don't have MBAs. Forget Jobs who is now dead, companies like Samsung, Amazon, Gazprom don't have MBA-minted CEOs.

Kai that list is lily white sha grin

Odikwa risky u funny sha, No one says you need an MBA to perform. Most people who do an MBA In the states are looking for a 2-year vacation to party and get drunk, meet some hot girls, add a brand name while networking simultaneously.

How many of us apply what we learn sef for unifasiti? The MBA is to get your foot in the door especially if you are a minority/black.

Anyways, I would also wager that most people without MBAs are those from foreign companies and for the americans they will be concentrated in tech firms.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by AjanleKoko: 3:11pm On Dec 12, 2011
SEFAGO:

Kai that list is lily white sha  grin

Odikwa risky u funny sha, No one says you need an MBA to perform. Most people who do an MBA In the states are looking for a 2-year vacation to party and get drunk, meet some hot girls, add a brand name while networking simultaneously.

How many of us apply what we learn sef for unifasiti? The MBA is to get your foot in the door especially if you are a minority/black.

Anyways, I would also wager that most people without MBAs are those from foreign companies and for the americans they will be concentrated in tech firms.

Still one way thinking.
Your mind is wired in that MBA-to-finance-or-consulting-in-US direction.

What we have been saying since is, what is the use of spending all that money, if at the end of the day, your objective is to return to work in Nigeria?
What value or meaning does the Harvard brand or contacts to Nigerian firms like Dangote or Glo?

You might need to go to Harvard to get your foot in the door in the US, but in Nigeria, it accounts for very little. Trust me, if it had meant that much here, a lot of us would have found the money and gone, a long time ago. A lot of the FT Top 10 MBA schools come to Nigeria to do direct marketing. Harvard, London Business School, MIT Sloan, Wharton, Kellog . . . I have been invited to, and have attended quite a number of their executive MBA selling sessions over the last 5 years. No big deal, a lot of them don't even ask for GMAT for executive MBAs. They only want your money. Some of them are even using local direct marketing agencies to target lists of Nigerians in middle and senior executive management.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by patlead: 10:46am On Dec 13, 2011
1 odogwu, that kinda money u call hurdle.

@poster, its worth it jare grin , but i hope the beneficiary studies hard so that u dont get a shocked shocked

abeg sponsor me with just 2000 for MBA i no need the ivy league o
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by SEFAGO(m): 10:15pm On Dec 13, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Still one way thinking.
Your mind is wired in that MBA-to-finance-or-consulting-in-US direction.

Or you wanna believe that my mind is wired towards that. LOL stop repeating the same nonsense mate.

What we have been saying since is, what is the use of spending all that money, if at the end of the day, your objective is to return to work in Nigeria?
What value or meaning does the Harvard brand or contacts to Nigerian firms like Dangote or Glo?

Ok, lets start from first principles. Most people who are full paying to top MBAs from Nigeria do not initially plan to come back home to Nigeria. They come to Nigeria due to a series of unfortunate events or they get way better opportunities than what they would get say in the US or other countries. So yes if your objective is to work in Nigeria there is really no point in getting an MBA. The OP has not stated his friends plans. All your assumptions have been made from bad belle.

You might need to go to Harvard to get your foot in the door in the US, but in Nigeria, it accounts for very little. Trust me, if it had meant that much here, a lot of us would have found the money and gone, a long time ago. A lot of the FT Top 10 MBA schools come to Nigeria to do direct marketing. Harvard, London Business School, MIT Sloan, Wharton, Kellog . . . I have been invited to, and have attended quite a number of their executive MBA selling sessions over the last 5 years. No big deal, a lot of them don't even ask for GMAT for executive MBAs. They only want your money. Some of them are even using local direct marketing agencies to target lists of Nigerians in middle and senior executive management.

Ok I say it again EMBA is not in general the same brand with the MBA. See you need exposure  grin
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by Shola2009(m): 10:53am On Dec 19, 2011
^^ i wouldn't say EMBA and MBA are miles apart. But, the difference is pretty clear.

@poster,
If you have the 40M just lying around,then getting an MBA from Harvard is a no brainer oo. . .Although,ill recommend you spend the 40M on Wharton, Pennsylvania instead.

Its pretty simple,you give 40M and you definitely make it your 40M the following year.After that its smooth sailing.

Now,the koko is if your 40M MBA would be relevant in Nigeria. The answer is NO! . . . .Like most people have said, most people get those MBA for networking purposes.There's no use in getting it,if you're coming straight back to Nigeria na. But if you intend on residing in the States,then spend the 40M.

kapish?
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by teeluv(m): 2:21pm On Dec 19, 2011
Na so e easy to get into harvard?,
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by AjanleKoko: 3:15pm On Dec 19, 2011
snthesis:

@all frowning at spending big for HBS
u have no idea, wat d Op's friends plans are?

The person get plans, and the friend brought the issues to NL to debate?
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by obowunmi(m): 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
You're better off with a Harvard law degree if you are planning to work back in Nigeria.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by teeluv(m): 4:03pm On Dec 19, 2011
If e no come study Law nko?.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by ektbear: 9:04pm On Dec 19, 2011
obowunmi:

You're better off with a Harvard law degree if you are planning to work back in Nigeria.

Why do you say this? Anyway as the poster above said, not sure how that is useful.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by SEFAGO(m): 2:07am On Dec 20, 2011
Shola2009:

^^ i wouldn't say EMBA and MBA are miles apart. But, the difference is pretty clear.

@poster,
If you have the 40M just lying around,then getting an MBA from Harvard is a no brainer oo. . .Although,ill recommend you spend the 40M on Wharton, Pennsylvania instead.

Its pretty simple,you give 40M and you definitely make it your 40M the following year.After that its smooth sailing.

Now,the koko is if your 40M MBA would be relevant in Nigeria. The answer is NO! . . . .Like most people have said, most people get those MBA for networking purposes.There's no use in getting it,if you're coming straight back to Nigeria na. But if you intend on residing in the States,then spend the 40M.

kapish?

Well apart from the brand most people in the MBA are in the youngish category- 25-26 while those in the EMBA tend to be a bit older and more experienced. The whole experience is kind of different.

Yeah I have also considered better for hard core finance than HBS. Nevertheless, I still don't consider any business program or masters/law degree necessarily difficult or academic as opposed to professional schools
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by obowunmi(m): 2:17am On Dec 20, 2011
SEFAGO:

Well apart from the brand most people in the MBA are in the youngish category- 25-26 while those in the EMBA tend to be a bit older and more experienced. The whole experience is kind of different.

Yeah I have also considered better for hard core finance than HBS. Nevertheless, I still don't consider any business program or masters/law degree necessarily difficult or academic as opposed to professional schools

SEFAG, you are smoking harshish, the average age for an MBA is certainly NOT 25 - 26. its actually 28-32

I think you're just debating for talking sake,  it has become apparent that you do not know what you are talking about.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by SEFAGO(m): 3:55am On Dec 20, 2011
obowunmi:

SEFAG, you are smoking harshish, the average age for an MBA is certainly NOT 25 - 26. its actually 28-32

I think you're just debating for talking sake,  it has become apparent that you do not know what you are talking about.

I type absent mindedly, I was talking about HBS- people there that I have met are relatively pretty young 25-26 (most did their undergrad at Harvard/Ivys though so they kind of just worked for two-three years and resumed business school) and looking at the class profile the average age is indeed 27 which confirms my speculation.

Yeah I dont know what I am talking about but you do hmmmph undecided

Odikwa risky sha- No be u claim HLS is more suiutable for working in naija- kind of moronic on the surface since the US JD is incompatible with the Nigerian law system and the fact that the JD rarely even accepts foreign students- even Bayo Ogunlesi was one of like 2-3 foreign students when he was at the law school.

Anyways this is not a knowledge debate. But like the age gap between the MBA and EMBA indicates that it caters for two different groups of people at different stages in their career.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by tanimola22: 1:59pm On Dec 20, 2011
SEFAGO:

I type absent mindedly, I was talking about HBS- people there that I have met are relatively pretty young 25-26 (most did their undergrad at Harvard/Ivys though so they kind of just worked for two-three years and resumed business school) and looking at the class profile the average age is indeed 27 which confirms my speculation.

Yeah I dont know what I am talking about but you do hmmmph undecided

Odikwa risky sha- No be u claim HLS is more suiutable for working in naija- kind of moronic on the surface since the US JD is incompatible with the Nigerian law system and the fact that the JD rarely even accepts foreign students- even Bayo Ogunlesi was one of like 2-3 foreign students when he was at the law school.

Anyways this is not a knowledge debate. But like the age gap between the MBA and EMBA indicates that it caters for two different groups of people at different stages in their career.

Mhen, that man is exceptional O. Let me ask a trivial question 'do you have an idea of how much he commands from Credit Suisse every year?´
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by AjanleKoko: 2:01pm On Dec 20, 2011
^^
Man on a mission grin grin grin
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by obowunmi(m): 5:16pm On Dec 20, 2011
SEFAGO:

I type absent mindedly,

You are correct in stating that EMBA are for people with 10 years experience plus in their field, average age (35 yrs plus)   while MBA targets 6 years experience of less. average age being 27 - 32.

I know Nigerians who went to Harvard Law or Oxford/Cambridge and when you go home, you work for multi-nationals. You are paid like an expatriate and not a Nigerian national. Obviously, after law school you learn tactical negotiation skills.  Especially, home boys in Energy law and such, working with oil companies and other multi-nationals, they are raking it big. Obviously you won't just depend on your salary but after a paycheck you invest in STOCKs and do other business deals.

Law is more of a specific skill, business is not. You don't need a business degree to run a business or to be in a management position.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by theLINK: 6:00am On Dec 21, 2011
An MBA from Harvard puts you ahead, go for it. Most people here are looking at the financial aspect that's why they are against it
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by olawalebabs(m): 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2011
the LINK:

An MBA from Harvard puts you ahead, go for it. Most people here are looking at the financial aspect that's why they are against it
Anybody that have the money to attend Havard is financially bouyant. that is the fact
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by DisGuy: 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2011
not necessarily true, anyone that meets their requirement i.e test and work experience can have their fees waived or most of it anyway
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by Antimatter: 1:36pm On May 02, 2012
Good day guys.
Am considering applying for an MBA.
Kindly help me assess the following options.

Option 1: Online MBA with Edinburgh Business School (Budget: 1.6 million)

Option 2: Part-time MBA with Unilag or OAU (Budget: 600,000)

Which of these options is likely to add more value.

Thanks
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by AjanleKoko: 1:55pm On May 03, 2012
Antimatter: Good day guys.
Am considering applying for an MBA.
Kindly help me assess the following options.

Option 1: Online MBA with Edinburgh Business School (Budget: 1.6 million)

Option 2: Part-time MBA with Unilag or OAU (Budget: 600,000)

Which of these options is likely to add more value.

Thanks

I don't like the Online MBA. But if you have a full-time job, it may well be your best option.
Value is relative when it comes to these things. Though Nigerian schools are lacking in quality, both in staff and teaching methods. LBS is probably the best MBA option in Nigeria.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by Antimatter: 7:42am On May 04, 2012
Thanks AJ.

I have a full-time job.

I have a major constraint with the cost of LBS.

What do you think of the OAU/UI option.

I am looking for two things in an MBA.
1. An MBA where I will really learn (I don't want an MBA for MBA's sake)
2. An MBA from a school that will not be looked down on.

If I am able to secure admission part-time to OAU or UI for MBA,
should I go ahead?

From the perspective of a manager/employer, which of these options is preferable?
- Online MBA with a foreign school such as EBS (Budget: 1.5M)
- Part-time MBA with OAU or UI (Budget: 500K)
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by AjanleKoko: 8:27am On May 04, 2012
^^
I understand the cost constraint. But in my view, LBS offers the only MBA program in Nigeria with any quality.
I find no difference between the undergraduate and postgraduate programs offered in Nigerian universities, hence my reluctance to recommend any of them.

The Online MBA is a good option to look at. You'll probably have remote study groups, and interact with a few other people across the globe. I think the quality is not so bad, compared to the OAU or UI part-time. I'd vote for that.
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by Antimatter: 8:47am On May 04, 2012
Thanks for your valuable and prompt response.

My middle name is Oliver Twist so let me ask for some more shocked

I observed that 98% of ITIL certified people in Nigeria stop at the Foundation level.
- What do you think is the reason ?
- Is an ITIL certification (ITIL Expert) valuable in Nigeria to the individual and organization ?
- Would you advise your protégé to go for it?

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Is it possible to contact you? (Mail,IM)
Re: Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It? by AjanleKoko: 9:04am On May 04, 2012
^^
I don't know much about ITIL. I did the Foundation training and certification in 2003, after which I exited the tech side of things.

In my view, you have more people who take ITIL as an add-on, rather than people who specialize in IT governance. The career path is still not very clearly defined, so you have more IT people opting to specialize as systems engineers, programmers, DBAs, etc. Many of those people take the ITIL foundation as a basic requirement, and continue along the certification path that they are focused on.

ITIL certification is definitely valuable in Nigeria. Most organizations expect their IT people to at least have the foundation certificate, and a lot of companies send their staff for the training. The Practitioner and Manager Certification, in my view, should be primarily for people who want to focus on IT Management as a discipline. But if you're a specialist, it can be a good add-on as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business / I Want To Write A Resignation Letter / If You Want To Be Successful Financially, Avoid These Things

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.