Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population (4436 Views)

"How The Nation Published Fake APC Propaganda Story On Special Cover For Rivers" / Constitution Amendment: Fashola Canvasses State Police, Special Status For Lagos / Fashola Insists On State Police • Wants Special Status For Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Pukkah: 5:30am On Dec 04, 2011
Lagos Insists On Special Status

Lagos State government has renewed its call for a special status to be accorded the state, considering its large population, infrastructural needs and economic significance to the country.

The state’s Commissioner for Information, Mr. Lateef Ibirogba, told SUNDAY PUNCH that the state government was still pushing for the special status and was hoping to get it ratified as the National Assembly set to review the 1999 Constitution.

Ibirogba said Lagos deserved a special status because of its peculiarity, being the only state in the federation where natives of virtually all communities in the country reside and also because it is the power house of the county’s economy.

File copy

Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola

He said, "We are still pushing for the special status for Lagos. And it is because Lagos clearly deserves it. Lagos is not like any other state in the country. It is a cosmopolitan state; a mini Nigeria. Whether you like it or not, almost every community in this country is represented in Lagos and many of these people own property in Lagos. So granting Lagos a special status would mean protecting the interest and property of people from other parts of the country."

Ibirogba added that the state government hoped that "the President would realise that any good done to Lagos is good done to Nigeria and grant Lagos the well-deserved special status."

Lagos State’s position on the review of the 1999 Constitution, includes the establishment of political and fiscal federalism; the inclusion of local governments in the exclusive jurisdiction of states and establishment of state police which should have jurisdiction over all state offences.

The state is also proposing that the concept of derivation be extended to all revenues accruing to the federation account and that the state from which any revenue is derived should be entitled to a minimum of 25% of such revenue, adding that there should be a specific provision that no authority shall withhold allocations meant for any tier of government.

http://www.punchng.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=6665:lagos-insists-on-special-status&Itemid=542
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Pukkah: 5:32am On Dec 04, 2011
I think these calls make sense. Lagos is indeed peculiar.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Beaf: 5:47am On Dec 04, 2011
Special status in what sense? Mr. Lateef Ibirogba has not made a very muddled submission; if it is to further drag us down the path of unitary govt by demanding more Abuja money, then its a solid NO.
What we all require is true federalism that will provide greater regional autonomy, self reliance, cultural preservation and vastly improved productivity. Anybody angling for more money from the FG, is only to be suspected of wanting to pad their pockets, rather than develop a self reliant state that contributes taxes to Abuja instead of thrusting forward a beggars bowl.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Rhino5dm: 5:55am On Dec 04, 2011
They should start conducting background checks and ethnic profiling, which should be followed by massive clamp down and deportation of Non-SW origins to their various state.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by BlackLibya: 6:05am On Dec 04, 2011
More money? What do they do with the money they already have?
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Kilode1: 6:45am On Dec 04, 2011
Beaf:

Special status in what sense? Mr. Lateef Ibirogba has not made a very muddled submission; if it is to further drag us down the path of unitary govt by demanding more Abuja money, then its a solid NO.
What we all require is true federalism that will provide greater regional autonomy, self reliance, cultural preservation and vastly improved productivity. Anybody angling for more money from the FG, is only to be suspected of wanting to pad their pockets, rather than develop a self reliant state that contributes taxes to Abuja instead of thrusting forward a beggars bowl.

You dey mind them?  undecided

Why 25% ? Where will the 75% go to?  The Federal again? I see no progress in that.

While the demands by LSG is ok, it does not go far enough. The issue with this half-hearted federalism they are asking for is that it ignores the enormity of our problem, and still places the FG is a position of enormous central power and control.

Also, while I agree with him that LG should not be under the fiscal control of the FG, I see no wisdom in this attempt to replace FG financial control with suffocative State Control. If we are going to demand fiscal independence and federalism, then we should go all the way with it.

I think LG police is actually the thing to demand for now. Every LG should control their police. We can reduce the number of LG's we have per State and consolidate the service, but I see little difference between central FG control and Central SG control.

The aim of this constitutional reform should be the total decentralization of executive power. We need government to meet our people at the city and town levels, like we had before we bought this fake colonial system.

Funny thing is that the same people that sold us this system have a largely decentralized political system in their own countries.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Yeske2(m): 9:16am On Dec 04, 2011
IMO, Lagos deserves it sha because of its pecularities.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by PointB: 9:24am On Dec 04, 2011
Tell it to the Tambuwa-ACN alliance in NASS.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Relax101(m): 10:54am On Dec 04, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

They should start conducting background checks and ethnic profiling, which should be followed by massive clamp down and deportation of Non-SW origins to their various state.

So you mean they don't pay tax? I think the UK should also start the massive deportation of Nigerians @peckham.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by eunisam: 11:06am On Dec 04, 2011
it makes a senseless sense if that is done.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Afam4eva(m): 11:13am On Dec 04, 2011
If Lagos is to be given a special status, it won't be because of it's population. Rather it will be as a result of it's position as a former capital.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 04, 2011
25% derivation to all resources should be given to all States. The States should takeover security and health care.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Nobody: 11:19am On Dec 04, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Senseless talk, and who do u think that pay taxes in lagos, who do u think that dominate the bizness in lagos?
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by cashmentor(m): 12:51pm On Dec 04, 2011
Ok,
Kano deserves a special status too, they have good population as well,
Delta, Bayelsa, and others deserves "More" special status for their Oil,
The entire North deserves a specia status for feeding d Nation,
Calaba deserves a special status for being very clean,
The entire SE derserves a special status for decades of fg's neglegence,
Every One deserves a special status! Frea.kin th.ieves,
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:54pm On Dec 04, 2011
Is lagos the only state with high population?
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 04, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Yes! We will start by kicking all Northerners out first angry
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Funkymallam(m): 1:10pm On Dec 04, 2011
If lagos deserves a 'special state status' wot of Kano?
Keep dreaming
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Dagods(m): 2:16pm On Dec 04, 2011
if d F/G gives Lagos a special statues,,,,sm other state will come up wit one confusion or d other,, so 4 d sake of peace,,,, Lets live like one Nigeria,,,,,GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION,
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by musiwa43: 2:44pm On Dec 04, 2011
i have to go to church this morning. so I will save this portion.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by musiwa43: 2:44pm On Dec 04, 2011
i have to go to church this morning. so I will save this portion.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by ektbear: 2:52pm On Dec 04, 2011
The main thing is they need to stop pretending as if Lagos is not the most populated state.

I would also like to see VAT and several other taxes collected locally rather that centrally. This would help a great deal.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by stagger: 3:05pm On Dec 04, 2011
Lagos should actually not be a state but should have the same status as the FCT. Only that it will not be a federal capital, but should be more like a Special Trade/Commerce Territory.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by nduchucks: 3:23pm On Dec 04, 2011
Fashola and co. should worry about giving Lagos residents from other states equal protection and representation in government affairs before running to Abuja with hands out. This move by Lagos State is quite disappointing.

@ekt_bear, I'd recommend that you visit Kano to some gain exposure to the incredible opportunities that are present there and to have a feel for the population outside of wishful thinking and tribal based emotionalism.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by ektbear: 4:21pm On Dec 04, 2011
I don't need to or desire to visit Kano (aside from stopovers after flying out of Abuja), there is nothing that part of the world has to offer me.

Next you'll tell me to visit Afghanistan or Sudan.

Anyway, it isn't me alone mocking the fake population figures of Kano and the under counting of the pop of Lagos. The western media is also laughing at this fraudulence in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Afam4eva(m): 4:29pm On Dec 04, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Fashola and co. should worry about giving Lagos residents from other states equal protection and representation in government affairs before running to Abuja with hands out. This move by Lagos State is quite disappointing.

Exactly. Lagos wants to eat it's cake and still have it.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by PointB: 4:51pm On Dec 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

The main thing is they need to stop pretending as if Lagos is not the most populated state.

I would also like to see VAT and several other taxes collected locally rather that centrally. This would help a great deal.

They way you talk about tax and IGR, your should be working as a Tax Collector for Fashola or AregbeRascal. grin grin grin

But I wont recommend Aregbe, you might be getting slaps as salary. grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Afam4eva(m): 4:54pm On Dec 04, 2011
PointB:

They way you talk about tax and IGR, your should be working as a Tax Collector for Fashola or AregbeRascal. grin grin grin

But I wont recommend Aregbe, you might be getting slaps as salary. grin grin grin

LMAO
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by AfroBlue(m): 5:06pm On Dec 04, 2011
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by ektbear: 8:34pm On Dec 04, 2011
Lol @ slaps as salary
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by Funkymallam(m): 8:35pm On Dec 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't need to or desire to visit Kano (aside from stopovers after flying out of Abuja), there is nothing that part of the world has to offer me.

Next you'll tell me to visit Afghanistan or Sudan.

Anyway, it isn't me alone mocking the fake population figures of Kano and the under counting of the pop of Lagos. The western media is also laughing at this fraudulence in Nigeria.

Sir, u just insulted kano state and i demand an apology frm u. U cant b speaking so bad of a place u v not been all ur life!
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by ektbear: 8:37pm On Dec 04, 2011
If you perceive it as an insult, unfortunate. I have nothing against Kano, but there is nothing there I am interested in personally.
Re: Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population by PointB: 9:01pm On Dec 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lol @ slaps as salary

lol.

Anyway, you do have passion for figures. Good thing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fuel Subsidy Crisis: Osun Provides Free Train Services To Stranded Passengers / I Never Said Nigerians Should Be Allowed To Carry Guns —oritsejafor / Why Jonathan Can't Save Soludo, Despite Intense Lobby By Ndigbo, S/east Govs⁠

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.