Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,260 members, 7,953,999 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:35 AM

You Don't Believe Our Elections Are Free And Fair, Read This! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Don't Believe Our Elections Are Free And Fair, Read This! (666 Views)

Salary Cut: We Borrowed To Fund Our Elections. . . .Lawmaker!. . .Photo / Mark To Eu: Don’t Interfere In Our Elections / Atiku Invites US To Partake In Our Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Don't Believe Our Elections Are Free And Fair, Read This! by Iolo(m): 7:27pm On Dec 04, 2011
This thread is for the doubting "Thomases" that don't believe we've been holding free and fair elections since April 2011. If you have any ideas to add or to counter any of my points, please feel free.

1. Bribe Corper at Polling Unit - Bribing the corper at the polling unit is one way to rig an election in Nigeria. On the upside, you'd be buying the co-operation of an ad-hoc NYSC official, on the downside, this NYSC official has his hands tied.

Things a bribed Corper can do for you:
a. Hand over unused ballot papers to thumb print as you like.
b. Make a mistake to your advantage during the collation process at PU level.

Problems with (a). Unused ballot papers are usually less than 10% of total ballots. Unused ballots are primarily made up of people who registered but didn't show up. INEC officials won't give you in excess of registered voters at the PU since that'll be easily detected in court.

(b). Party agents will be present. You can count rubbish in front of them.

2. Bribe the Ward Collation Officer - the ward collation officer might be able to make adjustments on your behalf. But whatever results he collates won't tally with those collated at PU levels. Opposition agents as well as the police have copies of the results sheets generated at pu and ward levels. If they don't tally, wahala.

3. Bribe the LG collation office. Same as above. It gets harder at this stage.

4. Bribe Jega. Virtually impossible for him to influence outcome of the result at this level.

Let the debate begin.
Re: You Don't Believe Our Elections Are Free And Fair, Read This! by Beaf: 7:55pm On Dec 04, 2011
^
None of these things worked in the last Lagos LG elections.
Re: You Don't Believe Our Elections Are Free And Fair, Read This! by Iolo(m): 8:08pm On Dec 04, 2011
Hehehe, don't know anything about LG elections. I was actually referring to INEC-organized elections not SIECs.
Re: You Don't Believe Our Elections Are Free And Fair, Read This! by JamesDoe: 8:12pm On Dec 04, 2011
Flaw spotted already.

Registered voters = 100 people
INEC issues ballots to match register= 100 ballot papers
Actual turn out = 50% thus 50 people show up to vote
Extra ballot papers = 50 ballot papers because 50 people did not show up

Vote split evenly btw party X and party Y.

25 vote X
25 vote Y

Party X "bribes INEC officials or corpers" gets 15 extra ballots from the 50 extra (people that didn't how up).

Party X then has 40 votes (25 humans and 15 ghosts)

INEC or corrupt officials amend the reported turnout upwards to 65% turnout.

Party X wins with 40 votes beating party Y's 25 votes.
Re: You Don't Believe Our Elections Are Free And Fair, Read This! by JamesDoe: 8:13pm On Dec 04, 2011
You could also get children to vote as some major parties did.
Re: You Don't Believe Our Elections Are Free And Fair, Read This! by Iolo(m): 8:27pm On Dec 04, 2011
Using children to rig is basically done by everybody. It's a form of rigging that would be very difficult to get rid of.

About your detected flaws. You are correct. But in the general sense of things. What are the chances a Party X or a Party Y would be able to bribe enough corpers at all the different polling units to affect the overall outcome. (2) unless during isolated elections where voter turnout is generally low, what are the chances of many PUs experiencing approx 50% voter turnout or less during the main election season (April).

I think there'd always be loop holes to exploit but it's as good as it gets right now. Another point is that there are supposed to be party agents at each of the polling units who'd monitor the process.

Where I did elections I had PDP, CPC and ACN agents. Am not too sure I could have rigged in anyone's favor without the agents cutting my head off.  grin

(1) (Reply)

Bribe-for-contract: Oil Firms Under Watch / Wot Z Wrong Wif Gej? / I Support Gej

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.