Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,197 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC (5934 Views)

Provide Pre-paid Meters To Nigerians Now, FG Orders Discos / All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU / Day Light Corruption In Phcn Meter Maintenance Fees Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by OmoTier1(m): 10:07am On Dec 05, 2011
PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal: NERC- PHCN Does Not Exist In Law!

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has said it will sanction the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) if it is continues to it collect charges  for meter maintenance.

The Chairman of NERC, Dr. Sam Amadi, said the collection would be a violation of an earlier agreement it reached with PHCN, which was served and also advertised in the newspapers, that there would be no more meter maintenance charges   from November, this year.   

He noted that since then, none of the chief executive officers has  complained about his inability to comply with the resolution. He said the commission will “invoke our power, in that case deny them, or fine them financially, proportionally to their offences”as it is practiced globally. Amadi also insisted that the PHCN is no longer known to law.

The Federal Government, it was also gathered, has already issued circulars on the winding up, except that the some of the entities still bear the PHCN logo for no logical reason, adding that the distribution companies are already writing official letters in their letter heads.

He noted that the Federal Government has already issued  documents on PHCN winding, saying the issue is when they will be removed physically.

His words: “The government has issued a document on PHCN winding up, but when they will be removed physically is another problem. Salaries are being paid, but I don’t know if it is paid from market money or maybe budget, because the budget for the ministry would include that of TCN and for maintaining the headquarter’s office. I am not very clear where the money comes from. But definitely, that certainty about their final date of exit would affect confidence in the industry.”

He said with the Act, unbundling PHCN should have been over. But in their letter head, when they write you, they write you in their name, Abuja Distribution Company, Eko Distribution Company, Enugu Distribution Company. So, that shows you the incomplete struggle over PHCN privatisation. There is still some degree of push back. But as a matter of policy, PHCN should be over.

“ As a matter of law, the Act does not recognise PHCN Headquarters or PHCN anymore. But in reality, there is a place called PHCN, managing the building and the workers there,” he explained.

Source: http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/business/28637-nerc-to-sanction-phcn-for-meter-maintenance-charges.html
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Echala: 10:12am On Dec 05, 2011
Last time I paid my bill, they charged me N4,000 for maintenance fee
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Beaf: 10:16am On Dec 05, 2011
The concept of meter maintenance is absolutely preposterous to begin with. What part of an electric meter needs maintenance?
If its broken, you simply replace it. Abi do they use them to roast boli in 9ja? shocked
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by OmoTier1(m): 10:25am On Dec 05, 2011
Maintenance fee aint a bad thing if they actually carry out the maintenance and make the fee payable once in say every 2 years! But they abused it in that every time Nigerians go to pay their bills, they keep collecting this fee without any corresponding services being rendered!

What is even shocking is a recent development that the staff of the proscribed PHCN are delibrately refusing to distribute pre-paid meters even after customers have made full payment for them! A staff was interviewer in one of the regional office and He claimed that by the time they give every body the pre-paid, how will they eat every day , I could not believe when I heard that with my ears,
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Beaf: 10:29am On Dec 05, 2011
^
This is how they cheat you people. What do they maintain on a meter you bought with your own money? Who asked them to maintain it?
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by OmoTier1(m): 10:45am On Dec 05, 2011
^^ you need to understand that when components/equipments are designed and assembled, they have what you call "useful life". Some 5years, 10years others 15years, 20years or 25years so to speak. To get the equipment to last that long, you need to service regularly.

Pre-paid meters are not fully digital components. They are a combo anodigital component which will require continuous maintenance to keep them functioning at 90C99R. As it is done in other parts of the world, the consumer pays for this maintenance in the form of service charge. This is outside of your billing.

There is nothing wrong in paying this fee, if only they actually do render the service. Those of us who live in the UK do pay this maintenance fee in form of service charge, the only difference is that the charges are not exhorbitant and without it, you still get your normal service, but you may get in trouble with the councils when the time comes.

Let me correct the wrong impression that the Pre-paid when bought belongs to the owner. By Nigeria law, you are actually "RENTING" those meters and they are not yours. They belong to the FG of Nigeria.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by begwong: 11:48am On Dec 05, 2011
They have to wait till the meters go bad before fixing it.You don't fix a thing when its not bad,hence no need for any damn maintainance fee jare!
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 05, 2011
, maybe the telecomms should also charge us maintenance for going digital. Useless PHCN pipo, make dem scrap dem jare otherwise, I go do illegal connection o, e de easy
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by talktrue1(m): 11:57am On Dec 05, 2011
Since they put the prepaid meter in my house, I have not been having power as usual again because they know that at the end of the month, something is coming their way, whether there is light or not. That service charge should be removed so that if there is no light for a period of time, nobody will recharge
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by phuckNL: 12:04pm On Dec 05, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

^^ you need to understand that when components/equipments are designed and assembled, they have what you call "useful life". Some 5years, 10years others 15years, 20years or 25years so to speak. To get the equipment to last that long, you need to service regularly.

Pre-paid meters are not fully digital components. They are a combo anodigital component which will require continuous maintenance to keep them functioning at 90C99R. As it is done in other parts of the world, the consumer pays for this maintenance in the form of service charge. This is outside of your billing.

There is nothing wrong in paying this fee, if only they actually do render the service. Those of us who live in the UK do pay this maintenance fee in form of service charge, the only difference is that the charges are not exhorbitant and without it, you still get your normal service, but you may get in trouble with the councils when the time comes.

Let me correct the wrong impression that the Pre-paid when bought belongs to the owner. By Nigeria law, you are actually "RENTING" those meters and they are not yours. They belong to the FG of Nigeria.

Wrong my friend.
If you paid for the meter, YOU OWN IT.
In the west you have the option of owning or renting, e.g cable or internet modems,
that rental fee is your maintenance fee.
In naija, you are charged the full cost of the meter. If it breaks, YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ONE, so the service fee is 419
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Sike(m): 12:17pm On Dec 05, 2011
Useless PHCN! Mtchew
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by gaskydudu: 12:19pm On Dec 05, 2011

Rubbish!!! Which law If the meters were leased to us, why were we not given a comprehensive policy on the terms ? why must i hear it from NL? Why would NERC make such a statement?
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by kunlekunle: 1:25pm On Dec 05, 2011
[td]They have to wait till the meters go bad before fixing it.You don't fix a thing when its not bad,hence no need for any damn maintainance fee jare![/td]

u need to maintain so as not to go bad
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 05, 2011
Let me make something clear, if they think it's illegal, they should just get it removed and tell us they have done the needful. Not telling us it's illegal and making people unnecessarily happy about the "revelation" because it isn't. Let them do their work. Telling us what we've always known means they have nothing doing, expunging it will mean they are doing what we as consumers cannot do, that is their job.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by GeorgeD1(m): 1:33pm On Dec 05, 2011
the meter maintenance fee is really a fraud because as some people have already observed here, there is practically no maintenance going on.
last time my meter got burnt (for some strange reason), i had to repair it myself. the phcn guy was even generous (was a close friend). i paid about 7k for the repairs. where then is my maintenance fee that was supposed to take care of issues like that?

abeg! phcn are just busy maintaining their pockets with our hard earned naira!
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 05, 2011
gaskydudu:

Rubbish!!! Which law If the meters were leased to us, why were we not given a comprehensive policy on the terms ? why must i hear it from NL? Why would NERC make such a statement?

How many times ur meter have been maintained in 2 months, why charge fees everymonth when u have not maintained any meter
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by soloqy: 1:42pm On Dec 05, 2011
They have stopped it in my area. A couple of months back, they charged me meter maintenance fee when I went to get credit for my meter but the last time I went( end of november), I got the full amount of credit that I paid for. They only remove vat now which is about 5% of the credit amount.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Digriz(m): 1:56pm On Dec 05, 2011
Meter maintenance has bn removed starting frm ths December and I heard that NERC gave PHCN november as deadline for the removal of the charge.
Anyway, my Dec bill came wtout the charge and i confirmed frm a Phcn staff. Good news
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by OmoTier1(m): 2:01pm On Dec 05, 2011
phuck_NL:

Wrong my friend.
If you paid for the meter, YOU OWN IT.
In the west you have the option of owning or renting, e.g cable or internet modems,
that rental fee is your maintenance fee.
In naija, you are charged the full cost of the meter. If it breaks, YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ONE, so the service fee is 419
Bullocks! Since when did cable or internet modems become utilities . Beside, home modems are rental! You never own them anyway,
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by jascon1(m): 2:15pm On Dec 05, 2011
@omo-tier go and drink piss. drink full cup!! the services in the UK na t same here?? u pay less and u get constant power. how i go get meter and i no get light?? small time i go pay for maintenance. still pay for light again. na witch? if na witch we no go take plantain leave flog am die or u just won tell us say u dey UK? abeg,
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by soloqy: 2:28pm On Dec 05, 2011
@Omo tier and gaskydudu, why are you equating what is obtainable in the UK to what we have (and are experiencing) here?

Here, you pay fully(at initial purchase) for almost everything you use. So whether utilities or not, here youy pay fully for the euipment so the question of rental, does not arise. I paid fully for my prepaid meter. The NERC is acronym fo National Electricity Regulatory Commision so if they say its illegal for PHCN to be charging maintenance fee for the fully purchased pre paid meters, then they know what they are talking about.

There would have been some credence to your arguments if the meters are actualy maintained by PHCN, but they are not so what is the maintenance fee for? I have had my meter for close to two years and in all that while, I have never seen any thing that resembles a PHCN staff coming to maintain or fix my meter. I have been fortunate not to have had issues with my meter because I would have had to bear the full cost of fixing the meter. Please, those who are staying abroad need to be fully conversant with what is happening here and how different the climes are, before arguing stuff and 'putting it to us'. Its something that happens a lot here.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by OmoTier1(m): 2:29pm On Dec 05, 2011
jascon1:

@omo-tier go and drink piss. drink full cup!! the services in the UK na t same here?? u pay less and u get constant power. how i go get meter and i no get light?? small time i go pay for maintenance. still pay for light again. na witch? if na witch we no go take plantain leave flog am die or u just won tell us say u dey UK? abeg,  
I know common sense is not common! Get it straight, if we want world class services, we MUST be ready to pay for it. Yes NEPA/PHCN are not living up to standards but much of that can be traced to the VAST majority of Nigerians (Private and public enterprises inclusive) who have refused to pay up their bills, hence could not have the moral gutts to demand for quality delivery of services from PHCN/NEPA.

The issue is not whether you are getting light, the issue is whether service charge should be paid say every two years for the maintenance of pre-paid meters. In the west they do not call them  maintenance fees, rather you pay service charge. You might as well as, what on earth am I paying service charge for when my taxes are used by the government ti put these infrastructure in place? But hey,I am sure their financial modelling must have shown them that not charging such amount would leave them with 3rd world utility services.

Let me make this clear, I am not in support of the monthly maintenance fees they previously billed consumers but I think the idea itself is not bad rather the implementation is where they problem is.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by jascon1(m): 2:31pm On Dec 05, 2011
i cant believe ppl buy the meter at 70k. na okada??
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by OmoTier1(m): 2:36pm On Dec 05, 2011
soloqy:

@Omo tier, why are you equating what is obtainable in the UK to what we have (and are experiencing) here?

Here, you pay fully(at initial purchase) for almost everything you use. So whether utilities or not, here youy pay fully for the euipment so the question of rental, does not arise. I paid fully for my prepaid meter. The NERC is acronym fo National Electricity Regulatory Commision so if they say its illegal for PHCN to be charging maintenance fee for the fully purchased pre paid meters, then they know what they are talking about.

There would have been some credence to your arguments if the meters are actualy maintained by PHCN, but they are not so what is the maintenance fee for? I have had my meter for close to two years and in all that while, I have never seen any thing that resembles a PHCN staff coming to maintain or fix my meter. I have been fortunate not to have had issues with my meter because I would have had to bear the full cost of fixing the meter. Please, those who are staying abroad need to be fully conversant with what is happening here and how different the climes are, before arguing stuff and 'putting it to us'. Its something that happens a lot here.
Get it straight, I live in UK and Nigeria and I regulary shuttle between. My business has four pre-paid @ sum of N50,000 each Ok. So I know the pain of what it is to have to pay for services you really never get.

But the thrust of my submission is this: If we are hoping to get world class services when it comes to utilities like electricity, we must be ready to pay for it. Yes PHCN erred in the manner in which they went about charging for services they never render in the first place. But my take is, the idea itself is not at all out of place.

Mark my words, the maintenance charge will be re-introduced by the time the distribution companies newly set-up by FG  are fully functional.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by klas(m): 2:37pm On Dec 05, 2011
The issue is not whether meter requires maintenance or not (even though I have never seen phcn coming to maintain my meter).

What nerc is saying is that meter maintenance fee was introduced by phcn when electricity tariff was still low and to circumvent public outcry against increase in tariff. However with the introduction of multi year tariff order (myto) in 2008 which already takes into consideration all cost recoverable including reasonable margin and is being reviewed periodically, meter maintenance fee ceased to have basis.

Also note that you still pay what is called 'Fixed Charge' whether you use electricity or not. This is still legal under myto.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by soloqy: 2:47pm On Dec 05, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Get it straight, I live in UK and Nigeria and I regulary shuttle between. My business has four pre-paid @ sum of N50,000 each Ok. So I know the pain of what it is to have to pay for services you really never get.

But the thrust of my submission is this: If we are hoping to get world class services when it comes to utilities like electricity, we must be ready to pay for it. Yes PHCN erred in the manner in which they went about charging for services they never render in the first place. But my take is, the idea itself is not at all out of place.

Mark my words, the maintenance charge will be re-introduced by the time the distribution companies newly set-up by FG are fully functional.

@The highlighted part, great then, what NERC and all of us are saying is , wait till when the unbundled distribution companies take over and start giving us services(including phisically maintaining our meters), before they charge for services they didnt render. Its also trying to do things the way it should be done. Dont charge people for services not rendered. In the light of that, the maintenance fee was illegal.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Beaf: 2:58pm On Dec 05, 2011
soloqy:

@The highlighted part, great then, what NERC and all of us are saying is , wait till when the unbundled distribution companies take over and start giving us services(including phisically maintaining our meters), before they charge for services they didnt render. Its also trying to do things the way it should be done. Dont charge people for services not rendered. In the light of that, the maintenance fee was illegal.

My guy, nobody will ever maintain your meter. Don't mind that yeye omotier, any maintenance fee on meters is illegal. In fact, if Nigeria was a bit developed, people would have demanded their money back, but no be 9ja? You slap somebody and as long as the slap is conc enough, instead of demanding justice they will greet you, "e k'a le sir!"
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by phuckNL: 3:06pm On Dec 05, 2011
OMO TIER

abeg stop yarning dust juh.
If your meter blows up, will NEPA fix it free of charge? You will end up buying another one so why should you pay any maintenance fee.
There is also no LAW that states nothing. Stop quoting what you don't know on this board juh.
As far as i am concerned, if i pay the full price for a meter, I OWN IT.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 05, 2011
everything in 9ja has an element of theft or cheating in it. NOTHING is done with a clean mind.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by cecegorz(m): 5:23pm On Dec 05, 2011
soloqy:

They have stopped it in my area. A couple of months back, they charged me meter maintenance fee when I went to get credit for my meter but the last time I went( end of november), I got the full amount of credit that I paid for. They only remove vat now which is about 5% of the credit amount.
Bro. Which area you dey stay jare, make i dey bring sales to them going forward.
Seriously, these bunch of crooks at Akerele, Surulere will just form as if they've never seen a newspaper or heard the radio ever in their lifetime.
I was there last month to recharge and still got milked! They claimed they are not aware of the stop order.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by soloqy: 5:34pm On Dec 05, 2011
cecegorz:

Bro. Which area you dey stay jare, make i dey bring sales to them going forward.
Seriously, these bunch of crooks at Akerele, Surulere will just form as if they've never seen a newspaper or heard the radio ever in their lifetime.
I was there last month to recharge and still got milked! They claimed they are not aware of the stop order.

lol, my last top up was at Marsha PHCN. The akerele people are terrible people. Marsha is a lot better. Maybe it was before they effected the changes to their systems because when I recharged November 4th, I was charged the maintenance fee but my next recharge which was November 28th, the fee was removed.
Re: PHCN Pre-paid Maintenance Fees Are Illegal - NERC by kalmebad(f): 5:51pm On Dec 05, 2011
Omo-Tier are you one of them?? can see you seriously advocating for thieving PHCN or what name they prefer to answer?

thank God some people can stand up for the masses, lately we have almost been paying with our blood, God punish satan

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What I Saw On Facebook,nigerians Are Not Smiling, / Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection / BREAKING: APC Changes It's NEXT LEVEL Logo (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.