Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,864 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? (6376 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Married As A Second Wife For Child-Bearing / My Husband Insists I Remove My Maiden Name From My Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by IAH(f): 8:09pm On Mar 10, 2006
Ladies, what do you think about women who get married and do not change their maiden names to their husband's names? Men, if your wife refuses to change her maiden name, how would you react to that?

Sometimes I just think my present name is sweet and I don't want to change it. cheesy
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by flower(f): 8:15pm On Mar 10, 2006
I know of a lot of women who have not changed their names after marriage, and it seems to be ok with the husband.

Most women opt for the hyphenated last name as to preserve both her roots and his, while others drop their original middle name (or keep it) and use their maiden names as middle names.

As odd as this may sound, I read an article a few months back about men beginning to change their last name to that of their wife's! shocked

It just depends on the couple cheesy
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by princeonx: 2:52am On Mar 11, 2006
not in my generation!
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by princeonx: 2:57am On Mar 11, 2006
soon there will be an article where women go to the man's family to pay the dowry and ask his hand in marriage! nonsense!
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Ynot(m): 8:01am On Mar 11, 2006
As long as she perform her wifely duties, she can have queen elizabeth as her last name for all i care. Unfortunately,  african tradition frown at women who retain their maiden name after marriage. Most people see that as a weakness on the man's side(he's not in control of his house-hold) and his peers will always taunt him. Besides, changing her maiden name to that of the husband is seen as a proof of marriage.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Akolawole(m): 11:40am On Mar 11, 2006
Oh my God!

I hate married woman carrying over their parent's name.

i dont like it at all.

They are married, thats period!

This nonsense started in our country late 80's
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by IBBFan(m): 11:44am On Mar 11, 2006
the day a woman goes to a man's house to pay his dowry, definitely he will be the one to move-in with her and probably do the "iyawo" duties.

but seriously, is there any woman that wouldn't like to have "BLACK-BRIGGS" as her new surname if she was to get married to me?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Skidoc(m): 1:50pm On Mar 11, 2006
hehe grin grin grin grin
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Z4M4eva(f): 2:10pm On Mar 11, 2006
Yeah. I think it's wrong for a woman to still bear her maiden name after marriage!
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by IBBFan(m): 2:46pm On Mar 11, 2006
@skidoc

oh boy, u b heavy bad belle ooo!!!

just imagine how sweet it would sound; Z4M4eva Black-Briggs
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Skidoc(m): 3:08pm On Mar 11, 2006
Hmm wink
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by IBBFan(m): 3:12pm On Mar 11, 2006
*sneaks to the backyard to go and empty my stomach of the excess laughter*
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by idiotboop(f): 7:06pm On Mar 11, 2006
Hiya

I dont like the idea, but bearing your married name is not set in stone, so if husband agrees all well and good. but i totally dont like the idea. Feminism gone too far is what i say,

Sometimes the wife is the only heir or child of the parents so she may feel like preserving the father's name like someone said by hypenation.

I love some of the guys in this forum you are such cave men arent you? tongue. its ok though i am old fashioned and totally dont believe in feminism and all the rubbish about role changes . men are men , women are women.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by IBBFan(m): 7:29pm On Mar 11, 2006
@betty

you know my mother is BEATRICE (BETTY) BLACK-BRIGGS

i don't know whether my only sister out of 4 kids will look into your idea in order to retain her present surname.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by kimba(m): 12:06am On Mar 12, 2006

I know of a lot of women who have not changed their names after marriage, and it seems to be ok with the husband. 

Most women opt for the hyphenated last name as to preserve both her roots and his, while others drop their original middle name (or keep it) and use their maiden names as middle names. 

As odd as this may sound, I read an article a few months back about men beginning to change their last name to that of their wife's!

It just depends on the couple

@flower,

did this one happen here in nigeria?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by IAH(f): 1:39am On Mar 12, 2006
Lol, so all the men here don't like the idea. What if the husband's name is not sweet to the ears? Like Kamoru or Sule. lipsrsealed
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Seun(m): 1:51am On Mar 12, 2006
The surname I bear is not even mine - afterall, I did not coin it - so this is not a big deal. However, it can be troublesome to deal with third parties who are surprised that your wife doesn't share your surname. So if the husband's surname is not good, perhaps the husband and wife can agree on a new name to share?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by IBBFan(m): 2:10am On Mar 12, 2006
check: IAH BLACK-BRIGGS
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Grizzly(m): 12:24pm On Mar 12, 2006
Wutever happened to (NEE)?? angry
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Badman888(m): 3:33pm On Mar 12, 2006
It depends on the family some women use their maiden name as their middle name.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Shannon(f): 6:15pm On Mar 12, 2006
The only situation where I've heard of this being popular is if the wife already has an established career that involves dealing with many different people. Other than that everyone I know has gone the traditional route after marriage. My mother and sister both took their maiden names as their middle names when they married. If you feel the need to maintain some connection to your former surname I would think that would be a better bet than dealing with hyphenations and whatnot.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by idiotboop(f): 11:24pm On Mar 12, 2006
[/quoteyou know my mother is BEATRICE (BETTY) BLACK-BRIGGS

i don't know whether my only sister out of 4 kids will look into your idea in order to retain her present surname.]

IBBY love your mum's name. But you are there to carry on your father's name , aren't you going to marry and have kids or are you, hmm?
i meant when there are no males in the family. Never mind

some one said about the names not sounding nice, come on, surely if you love your man it shouldn't matter tongue.
Oh! except for the poor kids on the play ground grin, hmmm, now that can be tricky imagine ''ukelegharahia''whoa thats actually my cousins married name. tongue

No offense to the Ibo's in the house just messing around. wink
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Rhodalyn(f): 11:27pm On Mar 12, 2006
i would definetely change mine i why shouldnt every wife do so is it because their names are too nice or because they want to keep the family tree going im gonna change my name to Ken's surname kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by flower(f): 3:05pm On Mar 14, 2006
Kimba- No, that did not happen in Nigeria

Prince Onx - There are already women proposing to men cheesy
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by mamaput(f): 8:39am On Mar 15, 2006
If to say my papa na big ,big man(MR Okoro)and every were I go the greet me as Madam Okoro
I will keep that name .
Not after i will answer Mrs Nwafor and when i come no one will greet me again they will ask Mrs Nwa what?
Then shannon has explained why . No need to play parrot.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by loriann(f): 6:33pm On Mar 21, 2006
i love my name but it really depends on my husband
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 4:31am On Mar 23, 2006
I couldn't wait to drop my maiden name and i adore my new surname as much as i adore my husband but then the name is cute cool
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by snazzydawn(f): 9:18pm On Nov 28, 2006
If you cannot change your maiden name to your husband's, then you might as well not marry. Remain in your father's house.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Seun(m): 8:43am On Nov 29, 2006
Remain in your father's house.
Snazzydawn, that is so sexist of you. Must a woman stay in a man's house? Why can't she stay in her own house?

If you cannot change your maiden name to your husband's, then you might as well not marry.
Is it the name that makes you a married woman, or the companionship that lasts a lifetime?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by harvey(m): 10:49am On Nov 29, 2006
whoever am getting married to has to bear my last name.or she is out of my house.love or no love.oyinbo no go come change our respected culture with their nonesense.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Analytical(m): 10:52am On Nov 29, 2006
@Seun, you are so right here:

The surname I bear is not even mine - afterall, I did not coin it - so this is not a big deal.  However, it can be troublesome to deal with third parties who are surprised that your wife doesn't share your surname.  So if the husband's surname is not good, perhaps the husband and wife can agree on a new name to share?

That was exactly what we did.  Not that my wife did not bear my former surname, but we decided to change the surname to something more positive than it was.  The old one has something to do with 'Ifa' (an oracle), while the new one has 'Olu' (The Lord) as the prefix to reflect our faith.  After all, I did not coin the former one, like you said!
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by harvey(m): 11:54am On Nov 29, 2006
@Analytical

i agree with that,but not that u will have to change urs to ur wifes,or ur wife choose to keep hers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Twin Marries Twin, And They Have Identical Twin Boys / Adult Male Mountain Bike. 18-speed, 21k / A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.