Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,216 members, 7,822,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? (6379 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Married As A Second Wife For Child-Bearing / My Husband Insists I Remove My Maiden Name From My Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by uchetobi(f): 2:10pm On Jun 06, 2007
macgozy:

TUFIAKWA, MBA, ARU, CHUKWU AJU, HOW CAN MY WIFE WHICH I SPENT CLOSE TO N1 MILL TO BUY WILL COME TO MY HOUSE AND BEAR HER LINEAGE NAME. NOT POSSIBLE

A SLAVE IS ALWAYS A SLAVE (SPEAKING ABOUT THE IGBO CULTURE WHICH REQUIRES You TO PAY HUGELY IF SHE'S A UNIVERSITY GRAD, LESS IF SHE JUST FINISHED SECONDARY)

I take exception to the word "bought" women are not goods. Pls apologize
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by OgaMadam(f): 2:48pm On Jun 06, 2007
its kind of nice having my husband give me his name. it makes you that much closer
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by spoilt(f): 3:45am On Jun 12, 2007
macgozy:

TUFIAKWA, MBA, ARU, CHUKWU AJU, HOW CAN MY WIFE WHICH I SPENT CLOSE TO N1 MILL TO BUY WILL COME TO MY HOUSE AND BEAR HER LINEAGE NAME. NOT POSSIBLE

A SLAVE IS ALWAYS A SLAVE

excuse me but if a man buys a woman then he must be desperate.
and those of you men who scream the most about brideprice are always the one who "sell" their daughters for more. angry
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by suprted(m): 8:11am On Jun 10, 2009
i don't see the big deal. its not like her taking my name means she loves me more.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by soreola(f): 2:10am On Feb 18, 2010
I don't really understand why a woman wouldn't drop her maiden name I believe she said I do which means she is ready to commit to her husband no matter what. In the bible it says that men should leave their parents and cleave to their wife and this should be the same for women. Your identity (not ur personality) changes and so should your name. Bearing a name of mrs. Okereke and married to mr. Udechuku doesn't send a message of oneness that ought to be reflected in marriage.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by N101: 3:22am On Feb 18, 2010
soreola:

I don't really understand why a woman wouldn't drop her maiden name I believe she said I do which means she is ready to commit to her husband no matter what. In the bible it says that men should leave their parents and cleave to their wife and this should be the same for women. Your identity (not your personality) changes and so should your name. Bearing a name of mrs. Okereke and married to mr. Udechuku doesn't send a message of oneness that ought to be reflected in marriage.

Please explain to me how "oneness" is reflected in a name. What about those who have never married but share the same surname?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 5:05am On Feb 18, 2010
A woman who retains her maiden name after her marriage is sorely lacking respect to her husband.

1 Like

Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 5:31am On Feb 18, 2010
very weird- in some parts of Africa, the woman not only retains her maiden name throughout marriage, but every child receives a different surname even if they're from the same father and mother.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 6:01am On Feb 18, 2010
tpia.:

very weird- in some parts of Africa, the woman not only retains her maiden name throughout marriage, but every child receives a different surname even if they're from the same father and mother.

And what part of Africa is that?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by oyinda3(f): 6:06am On Feb 18, 2010
Ndipe:

A woman who retains her maiden name after her marriage is sorely lacking respect to her husband.

women in many parts of East Africa (Somalia etc) retain their maiden name. likewise women from some cultures in Ghana.
not every society in the world is patrilineal.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by H2O2: 6:27am On Feb 18, 2010
Ndipe:

i'm gonna go off on a limb here and say that I agree with you. It's not part of our tradition as far as I'm aware of.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 6:32am On Feb 18, 2010
I dont get involved in things which dont concern me.

If I see a man bearing his wife's family name, I dont bother myself about that either since its none of my business.

Hypertension is real.

People have gotten themselves in serious*** overseas for being overly involved in other people's affairs.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 6:43am On Feb 18, 2010
oyinda.:

women in many parts of East Africa (Somalia etc) retain their maiden name. likewise women from some cultures in Ghana.
not every society in the world is patrilineal.

I know or have read that the Ashanti's of Ghana are strictly matrilineal. And wetin consin me if a woman decides to retain her maiden name after marriage?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by pawa4ul: 10:15am On Feb 18, 2010
The real reason I figure out is that of fear. Most women are afraid of divorce 2morrow, and it will be easier to continue life without the change of names. This could stem from the experiences they had during the premarital relationship. Some could have messed up and are afraid the man might bank on this later in the marriage to say 'go.' If we have a good background of marriage, why will a woman want to carry along her maiden name to her matrimonial home, when marriage (at least in our part of the world) means change your status and make a new family.
Secondly, some women do this as a result of pride. If their parents are well to do, they will want people to know that they are fronm that background when you hear their names. This I don't blame them, but the country style here as people tend to have respect so much for material things. They believe it will make ways for them in contract seeking etc. This spans even to death. When a woman is late, you see the obituary announcement saying, nee so so and so if she comes from a royal or rich home.
My candid opinion though is to let go of the maiden names once married.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by oyinda3(f): 10:55pm On Feb 18, 2010
Ndipe:

I know or have read that the Ashanti's of Ghana are strictly matrilineal. And wetin consin me if a woman decides to retain her maiden name after marriage?

in your previous post, u say that she is "sorely lacking respect to her husband"
and here u say it's no big deal"wetin consin me"

where exactly do u stand on the issue? 
i personally think it depends on the culture and the individuals involved in the partnership.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 12:24am On Feb 19, 2010
oyinda.:

in your previous post, u say that she is "sorely lacking respect to her husband"
and here u say it's no big deal"wetin consin me"

[b]where exactly do u stand on the issue?  [/b]i personally think it depends on the culture and the individuals involved in the partnership.

My statements that any lady who still keeps her maiden name as her last name after marriage is 'sorely lacking respect to her husband' and that I wouldnt be bothered by it is mutually inclusive. It means that while I am not in the position to tell the woman to revert to her new name (wetin concern me), it's still sorely disrespectful to her husband.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by oyinda3(f): 2:30am On Feb 19, 2010
Ndipe:

My statements that any lady who still keeps her maiden name as her last name after marriage is 'sorely lacking respect to her husband' and that I wouldnt be bothered by it is mutually inclusive. It means that while I am not in the position to tell the woman to revert to her new name (wetin concern me), it's still sorely disrespectful to her husband.

lol. it maybe be disrespectful to the yoruba man. but to the somali man or the ghanaian man, it's normal and the way it should be. different cultures, different ways of life and different definitions of respect cool
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 3:57am On Feb 19, 2010
oyinda.:

lol. it maybe be disrespectful to the yoruba man. but to the somali man or the ghanaian man, it's normal and the way it should be. different cultures, different ways of life and different definitions of respect  cool

I'd like to think that we were referring to women in the Nigerian context, not those from places where it is readily accepted for a woman to still bear her maiden name.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by oyinda3(f): 6:37am On Feb 19, 2010
oh ok. then that makes sense. i thought u meant women in general.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by N101: 3:55pm On Feb 21, 2010
Ndipe:

I'm not exactly sure how it's "mutually inclusive" or disrespectful to the husband unless the husband has major control issues. 

If the relationship between husband and wife is solid, names mean nothing.  No secure man will let his wife retaining her maiden name come between them.  I'd hate to think she married him simply because his name sounded better than hers  cheesy

suprted:

i don't see the big deal.  its not like her taking my name means she loves me more.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 1:01am On Feb 22, 2010
Some 'independent' women who insist on retaining their maiden name during the course of their marriage are the same who would insist on claiming back their former husband's name in the event of an unfortunate divorce, so that their last name would correspond with that of their children born during the union.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by oyinda3(f): 6:57am On Feb 23, 2010
^^ lol. i would change my kids name to correspond with mine rather than change my name to my ex-husbands. that just is silly. never heard of that b4. lol changing ur last name to ur ex's. lol lipsrsealed
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by SALady(f): 8:10am On Feb 23, 2010
Apparently changing your maidens name to your husbands is a sign of oness. I whose eyes I ask? There we go again worried about what others may say in relation to the choices we make especially in marriage. I believe oness matters most when nobody else is watching, behind closed curtains/doors and its just the two of you. Again I believe it has a lot to do with what lies within the two of you about each other that which nobody else can see and only you and your partner may know and maybe even that which your partner will never know. Whether I change my maiden name or not is inconsequential to the sanity and wellbeing of the union. I may change my maiden name, question is, will it change the person in me inside and out?

Personaly its not what I prefer but just one of those things I guess I'll end up doing for sake of conformity. It wont kill me,
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by adaphik(f): 8:20pm On Mar 01, 2010
I'm of the opinion that ppl have a choice to do whatever they wish. There are no rules to it, but the reason has to be worth it. If they both agree; well n fine. Thats all. Its not an issue at all.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by adaphik(f): 8:23pm On Mar 01, 2010
I'm of the opinion that ppl have a choice to do whatever they wish. There are no rules to it, but the reason has to be worth it.  If they both agree; well n fine.  Thats all. Its not an issue at all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce / Adult Male Mountain Bike. 18-speed, 21k / How To Get Pregnant With Twins That Are Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.