Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,325 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic (6845 Views)

V.I.O and FRSC Palava...my personal experience / Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. / New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 06, 2011
blank:

How can your blood pressure come down while on a bike? Abi e go increase. I no wan die young o.

What may have an adverse effect on his blood pressure, may not do the same to you. In the same way you feel using a clutch in a manual gives you "stress", I find manuals a joy to drive.  cool

Different folk, different strokes. We all do what works best for us. In this case, getting up two hours later, and getting home about three hours earlier is worth swapping a car for a bike when commuting to work. More productive time, more sleep time, more time spent at home with the family can only be a good thing.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by candylips(m): 4:14pm On Dec 06, 2011
lol
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 06, 2011
DrummaBoy:

If half of Lagos commuters imbibe this soln, especially d males, we may well be on the way to traffic soln in Lagos.

Correct bro. If a massive levy was placed upon motorists driving into Lagos, then those that live within easy reach would either walk, ride, or better still, share with a neighbour going the same way. There are people who work within ten minutes walk of their homes, yet choose to drive. And there are those that would go visit a friend that lives less than two miles away. Easy walking distance, yet they choose to drive.

Lagos traffic is chaotic, there's no disputing that. But there's nothing your government can do to ease congestion. Building more roads isn't a solution - reducing traffic at peak times makes more sense. There are single guys who own four cars, and small families (husband, wife and perhaps 3 children all under the age of twelve) who have up to six cars. Sometimes, the wife doesn't even drive! Now tell me why Lagos won't be congested?
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by yomideola: 4:31pm On Dec 06, 2011
good suggestion
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by eros(m): 4:32pm On Dec 06, 2011
@Jack,

You put my idea into reality. When I was still in Lagos, I was planning on getting a power bike to solve the traffic madness. Fortunately, for me I relocated and it has been a blessing ever since. Lagos traffic believe it or not is a silent killer and it has been proven that Lagosians have a shorter life span, than other urban dwellers in other states. Also, it has been proven that 98% of Lagosians are clinically and mentally mad for a longer period than the supposed "5 minutes madness".
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by ManXTreme: 4:40pm On Dec 06, 2011
If you go to India you would see the number of personal bikes being ridden around (even by women). Although it get you to beat traffic, it however increase air pollution, noise pollution and accidents (although it is not rampant in India because they obey traffic laws)
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by coogar: 4:42pm On Dec 06, 2011
eros:

@Jack,

You put my idea into reality. When I was still in Lagos, I was planning on getting a power bike to solve the traffic madness. Fortunately, for me I relocated and it has been a blessing ever since. Lagos traffic believe it or not is a silent killer and it has been proven that Lagosians have a shorter life span, than other urban dwellers in other states. Also, it has been proven that 98% of Lagosians are clinically and mentally mad for a longer period than the supposed "5 minutes madness".

anyone older than 47 yrs of age in lagos state is living on "borrowed time". . . . .

interesting idea from the original poster.
i think fashola should introduce congestion charge in some parts of lagos state - especially lagos island. motorists should be paying a premium to get to the island. this should reduce the number of cars going to the island.

they can also bring the even number/odd number car registration they had in the 80s.
lagos is too chaotic. too many cars for the tiny roads - no traffic lights and motorists don't even respect simple driving regulations.
it's a lawless state!
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by owenueme: 4:46pm On Dec 06, 2011
Very ingenious. Your cost has also reduced.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by coogar: 4:48pm On Dec 06, 2011
owenueme:

Very ingenious. Your cost has also reduced.

inversely, his life insurance would have increased.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by softtouch2(m): 4:49pm On Dec 06, 2011
@ jarkbauer : I love your innovative solution to your health problem and the traffic.

Everyone may not do the same thing to achieve result. But in Nigeria, everyone is trying to do same thing to achieve success. We need to think outside the box, and see the big picture.

Standing out of the crowd is my own personal way of life. I do things in my own way to achieve a set goal. While renovating my house, most people (Bricklayer and Electrician) that work for me did not understand me when I gave order of how I want my house and wiring design to be done. They claimed it has never been done like that before! but 11 months now, I have never experience a power failure. My own way of making sure, PHCN wahala is out of life, more so my generator is now redundant, a mighty cost-saving on my fuel consumption.

I believe if each and everyone is coming out with a practical solutions, we need to appreciate them, little drops of water make a might ocean.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 06, 2011
coogar:

they can also bring the even number/odd number car registration they had in the 80s.
lagos is too chaotic. too many cars for the tiny roads - no traffic lights and motorists don't even respect simple driving regulations.
it's a lawless state!

Wow. I thought I was one of the only members old enough to remember that rule, odd and even numbers, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Then Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

The only issue with Nigerians, is the blatant refusal to obey any local regulations. They got round the even-odd number rule by simply bying a second car, so they ended up with cars for all days of the week. More cars, more chaos.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by coogar: 4:55pm On Dec 06, 2011
soft-touch:

@ jarkbauer : I love your innovative solution to your health problem and the traffic.

Everyone may not do the same thing to achieve result. But in Nigeria, everyone is trying to do same thing to achieve success. We need to think outside the box, and see the big picture.

Standing out of the crowd is my own personal way of life. I do things in my own way to achieve a set goal. While renovating my house, most people (Bricklayer and Electrician) that work for me did not understand me when I gave order of how I want my house and wiring design to be done. They claimed it has never been done like that before! but 11 months now, I have never experience a power failure. My own way of making sure, PHCN wahala is out of life, more so my generator is now redundant, a mighty cost-saving on my fuel consumption.

I believe if each and everyone is coming out with a practical solutions, we need to appreciate them, little drops of water make a might ocean.

how did you go about this? you connected a wire from ghana to your house?
no power failure in 11 months? nigeria?

Siena:

Wow. I thought I was one of the only members old enough to remember that rule, odd and even numbers, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Then Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

The only issue with Nigerians, is the blatant refusal to obey any local regulations. They got round the even-odd number rule by simply bying a second car, so they ended up with cars for all days of the week. More cars, more chaos.

let congestion charge take care of that!
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 06, 2011
coogar:

I understand where you're coming from. The only issues with congestion charge in Nigeria, is the same age old problem that's been part of everyday life in Nigeria - corruption. Drivers would simply bribe their way to freedom, that's what happened back in the '80's.

Nigeria has no real database, and working traffic cameras to enforce congestion issues. It'll all have to be done manually. Another avenue for the ever-hungry members of the NPF to increase their waistlines with "supplements."
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by anafest: 5:24pm On Dec 06, 2011
great
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by obowunmi(m): 6:06pm On Dec 06, 2011
@ OP: are you single ?
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by softtouch2(m): 6:26pm On Dec 06, 2011
coogar:

how did you go about this? you connected a wire from ghana to your house?
no power failure in 11 months? nigeria?

Try think outside the box. I don't need PHCN to get electricity, I generated mine, and don't ask me how, search the internet.

But Coogar, why are you always like making mockery of most forum discussion?
Maybe I should have invite you when celebrating a year of non-interrupted Electricity in my house by Jan 27th 2012 (without PHCN), but security
reasons willl not make it possible.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by coogar: 6:39pm On Dec 06, 2011
soft-touch:

Try think outside the box. I don't need PHCN to get electricity, I generated mine, and don't ask me how, search the internet.

i don't think i need the information. i was just making sure it wasn't a typo!
for me, there are other things to worry about than generating electricity. where i dwell, your information won't be necessary. cool

But Coogar, why are you always like making mockery of most forum discussion?

because most of the forum discussion i read here are often idiotic. grin

Maybe I should have invite you when celebrating a year of non-interrupted Electricity in my house by Jan 27th 2012 (without PHCN), but security
reasons willl not make it possible.

too much stress inviting me, save your breath!
plus i'd need a visa!
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by biolabee(m): 6:46pm On Dec 06, 2011
@softtouch can you share this information or opackage it into a business
there is a market for this
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 06, 2011
Your personal solution happens to be short-cut to the grave. Rent a room close to your place of work and visit your family every weekend at Ogba. Simple ! Dont be silly cos u are risking your life.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 06, 2011
LeoMax:

Your personal solution happens to be short-cut to the grave. Rent a room close to your place of work and visit your family every weekend at Ogba. Simple ! Dont be silly cos u are risking your life.

Your response is bordering on moronic. You're calling him silly. Don't dismiss someone else's method of dealing with an issue that's been making his life hell. You asking him to rent a room close to work is patronising. You know nothing about his finances, and he's under no obligation to share those details with you.

Biking to work may not work for you, or many others, but it works for him. And the thousands of Lagosians who rely on Okada to get about. The only difference in this case is that Jack here owns the bike.

1 Like

Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by ngusvi: 8:04pm On Dec 06, 2011
The Nigerian US Virgin Islands Reunion Festival Invites all Nigerians and friends of Nigeria to our Annual Nigerian Reunion Festival 2012 .

This festival will take place on May 25th- 28th on the Beautiful US Islands of ST Thomas.
More details here @ www.nigerianusvifestival.com

See yall soon.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by duality(m): 8:17pm On Dec 06, 2011
this was what i adopted when i worked in vi. it helped a lot. you know what it means to be in jakande- ajah traffic. just arranged with a guy and we both go home together.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by joinnow: 8:40pm On Dec 06, 2011
Bros that your solution is no go go area. You didnot hear of the Man that bought a power bike because of Lagos traffic wahala and ended up dead 3rd mainland when BRT crush the man Last year.
Come to think of it during raining season how will you also go to work(i mean during heavy rainfall)
My Dad use to compare Okada to Igbobi Hospital. ( piece of advise this saturday visit the Hospital and go to Okad ward) see for your self.

there is practical solution to Lagos traffic will list them out soon
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 06, 2011
joinnow:

there is practical solution to Lagos traffic will list them out soon

People die in Nigeria on a daily basis. Is your solution for every Nigerian to leave Nigeria?

As for your practical solutions to Lagos traffic, why not list them now, rather than later?
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by hercules07: 9:14pm On Dec 06, 2011
@Siena

Okada is a high risk venture in Naija o, one will need to add to your prayer points, Lagos drivers are amongst the maddest in the world, no patience.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 06, 2011
hercules07:

@Siena
Okada is a high risk venture in Naija o, one will need to add to your prayer points, Lagos drivers are amongst the maddest in the world, no patience.

I totally understand. The risk factor exists in every means of travel in Nigeria - flying, private car, Okada, bus etc. There are other issues that can kill - high-blood pressure, stroke, hypertension etc. The OP said the stress was raising his blood pressure, and it improved when he decided to bike to work.

The point here is, it works for him. Who are we to tell him he's mad, silly, he's heading for an early grave etc? We can only speak for ourselves, not for the vast majority. This is the point I'm trying to get across.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 06, 2011
i'd love to get a power bike after my first car, but am sure my parents wont be too psyched, then its not really about how u ride, but there are some crazy lagos drivers, so be careful, Enjoy
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by mxxpunkxx: 10:23pm On Dec 06, 2011
So your solution to Lagos traffic is for people to get motorcycles? Chai, some mothers do have 'em

Mr. Spencer
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by Bisijohn: 10:30pm On Dec 06, 2011
My own suggestion is hard but if follow the traffic congestion will be reduced. This can't be introduced almost immediately now anyway. Govt should provide effective rail system, more BRT Buses on different routes, Introduce heavy fee for parking anywhere on Island and some strategic places,and enforce traffic rules. If these are well implemented the traffic stuff will be a thing of the past in Lagos. Lifestyle in Lagos is hazardous to healthy living and of course it is even reducing productivity.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by obowunmi(m): 1:06am On Dec 07, 2011
Someone said this already but no one follows the rules, Everyone in Lagos wants to feel big, no one follows the rules hence the traffic chaos.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by 1stargeneral: 4:15am On Dec 07, 2011
I am not going to talk about this in details. The point is a solution is been worked upon. A group of 4guys who has got the wit and of course the gut to pull this off have emerged.

We intend to solve this problem via a simple but complex logic using, Oh like i said I am not going to go into details with our project lest people steal it especially the big ones like MTN and some group of people who have the money to execute such projects with greed underneath.

Anyway guys, don't worry, A solution is on the way.
Re: My Personal Solution To Lagos Traffic by horny4u(f): 5:35am On Dec 07, 2011
I think a park and ride in Berger , Mile 2 , Ikorodu, Ajah etc where you have loads of people moving out everyday. A simple N100 park charge  for people not riding on BRT and N50 park charge for people taking the BRT should solve this problem. To further eliminate the problem fitting BRT with air conditioning , the fact that it uses the speedy bus lane and cheap but very safe half day or full day parking will make park and ride more appealing.

Or simply admit we got it wrong and start all over again, underground rail stations, better road connections, harder driving test before you get your license, removing the N20 collecting police  etc.

Car pool or share page on Nairaland or church bulletin is a good idea too, advertise your car for sharing and alternate per week, i do this on sundays with some guys in my area . Your car rests and no point taking 4 almost empty cars from ogba to marina when you can share and alternate cars and driving.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review / Volkswagen Passat CC Won't Start / What's The Difference Between Camry 03,04, And 05

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.