Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,394 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents (3545 Views)

Kaduna Beggars Protest Ban By Government (Photo) / Group Shots Of Law Enforcement Agents Nigerian Motorists Dare To Deal With• / Same-sex Pastor Dares Senate Ban And Continues Fellowship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 07, 2011
The rippling argument that the Federal Government will ban Okadas is just settling down with the Minister for Environment, Mrs. Hadiza Mailafa dispelling it as rumor.

In another development, officials of the Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) and the Police yesterday impounded several Okadas on Lagos highways on the ground that they ply roads that are not meant for them. Yesterday, Alausa heaped numerous Okadas seized in one road operation alone. "Bikes or Okadas impounded could not be retrieved as the cost attached to retrieval is double the price of the bike", says, Mr Tijani Pekis who is the state chairman of the Motorcycle Operators Association of Lagos State (MOALS).

Expressing their pains in a protest, Okada Riders display placards with inscriptions of plea and disappointments in LASTMA officials who impound every Okada regardless of whether they violated orders or not. Policemen are particularly reported to have been taking advantage of this order to extort innocent riders who are not even using the prohibited routes.

Photos:
[center]

[/center]

[center][url=http://visionitesmagazine.com/index.php/topic,118.msg235.html#msg235]http://visionitesmagazine.com/index.php/topic,118.msg235.html#msg235[/url][/center]
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 07, 2011
Police have seized several motor cycles today along Agbado - Oshodi road.

[center]

[/center]
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by okadaman2: 11:20pm On Dec 07, 2011
My boys. Solidarity forever comerades.

Yes, tell them. We are not Boko-Haram. We cannot be banned. We own the streets angry
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by asha80(m): 1:01am On Dec 08, 2011
pics

1 Like

Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:38am On Dec 08, 2011
Govt should let this guys do their okada biz. banning this guys would only increase crime rate as this is their only source of livelihood as most of these guys have families to feed.
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 08, 2011
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by araba1(m): 12:21pm On Dec 08, 2011
drpanaba na the secretary of okada association pls keep us updated
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by ayolinger(m): 12:34pm On Dec 08, 2011
PStylish:

Okada should be banned.

The truth is Okada does more harm than Good. How? I will explain:
1. Okada has truncated the destinies of many by either sending them to their early graves or to Gbobi (Orthopaedic hospital).Personally, I have seen a lady shriek to death on the asphalt road while the rider sat calmly on the road kerb.What an horror it was!
Okada can never be safe.Never.Ones body is the body. I pray before climbing one and dictate the speed to the rider the extremely few times I engage them.I'll rather trek especially if I know my destination.

2. Okada has made Nigerians abandon the very healthy habit and exercise of trekking.Nigerians are now so lazy as they cant even undergo a paltry 5km trek.This has impacted negatively on their general health and wellbeing.

3. Okada has increased crime rate significantly.

4. Okada riders take the law into their hands very often especially after an accident notwithstanding who was right or wrong.

5. The advent of Okada has seriously reduced the number of school drop outs and others who should have taken to apprenticeship and learnt one useful skill or the other.Instead they all go for the easier cheaper option of riding Okada and making quick money. This in turn reduces the number of available skilled labour in the country and affects our economy negatively. For how long can anyone ride Okada.

Parting shot
Let Okada be banned in Lagos and other major cities nationwide.It is not compulsory to stay in Lagos.Anyone who can not make a honest living from doing some skilled job or trade in Lagos should go back home and farm.
Enough said for now.

Swear if you never enter Okada before or even today?, for crying out loud, this is injustice, and if okada didn't send you to early grave or break your leg, so why want them ban it?, i'm sure okada have saved your day or something very important or from being late!,
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by Odunnu: 12:35pm On Dec 08, 2011
Seeing their inscriptions on the placards, I dont know what side to side again. I agree Okada is a sure way to Orthopedic  hospital most times but in life everything is a risk.
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by AkoEja: 12:35pm On Dec 08, 2011
I think it is wrong for any government to think of banning the use of motorcycle  in a place like Lagos. Nobody will like to  ride on a motorcycle if  the transport system is efficient.

Traffic in Lagos is horrible and it is only the availability of motorcycles that is allowing the place to run to some extent.the Gov should provide an alternative first before imposing a ban on motorcycle riding for commercial purposes. People  Will automatically abandon motorcycles if there is a better alternative. the availability of motorcycles has saved me a lot of problem in the past. There was a time I had to  abandon my car while on the road to the airport because of the terrible traffic jam in Lagos.
Apart from the fact that, commercial motorcycles are relieving people of traffic problems, it is also a means of livelihood for thousands of people, if not millions.   what will these people do when the ban is imposed? this should be regulated and safety mechanisms put in place to protect the people. I also understand  if a ban is  imposed on certain routes. Imposing an outright ban is just wrong at this time.
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by LEXYLOV: 1:37pm On Dec 08, 2011
The Government of the day are getting into more confusion. Banning okada is not the solution we need at the moment, but address the issue first. HOW ? Yes okada is dangerous and less safer transportation means, but if they want to banned okada before doing that, they should first provide enough and easy transportation for the people. Firstly why not simply copy from other develop Africa nations or Europeans, There are lots of unworthy buses and taxi running our roads transporting people everyday, they should take a state transportation company very serious and develop it. If they do that and everything is functioning very well, they can banned okada and recruit most of those boys into government transportation business and offer them secure job. With that, there will be total sanity and the boys will not going into crimes after leaving okada business.
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by jidewin(m): 1:54pm On Dec 08, 2011
@Psstylish,
You have ur reasons and unfortunately,your posts from ur experiences were negative ones.however,you also tend to GENERALISE that all okada riders are the same.I quite disagree for the following reasons.
1.If okada riders are been issued licences and "riders card"by lagos govt,why didn't the same govt utilise the revenue generation agency I.e "riders card permit" to have them trained before issuing the permits?.afterall,before u can be issued a license u were meant to have pass driving test supervised by VIO or accredited driving schools.
2.If govt don't improvise and utilise taxes been paid to make affordable educational institutions,such as universities,then the need of skill acquisition centers with standby job placement or finance support should be made available and properly monitored to see the right people actually get what the govt meant for them.its on this note I doff my hat for the deputy gov. Adebimpe.I know of many people wjo successfully webt through thsi training and were sponsored to dubai and soouth korea by lagos state govt.however,do yoiu know now that before u can be admitted into this skill centers,you must be connected or pay eventually?m
3.Matured okada riders are mindful of the way the ride on routes,except for most of the abokis and area boys,who rides and speeds excessively.which is why whenever u board a bike or okada,be ready to control him.otherwise,alight and board another.on our routes,is it commercial drivers that drives crazy and against traffic most times?how many of them have gov fashola single handedly arrested?oh hoo,ccos they owned by party members and supporters under the banner of AGBEROS.confirm if they do not have an office at alausa,where they daily make remittance to selected govt officials purse and treasuries.
4.Riding okada for commercial means have become source of employment for several families.takign it away from them means,asking them to come and fight for their means of livey hood.
Banning okada is not the solution.train and educate them first,even before issuing them riders card permit to which they also pay for.then they will become less menace to the society.
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by Koolking(m): 3:16pm On Dec 08, 2011
PStylish:

Okada should be banned.

1. Okada has truncated the destinies of many by either sending them to their early graves or to Gbobi (Orthopaedic hospital).Personally, I have seen a lady shriek to death on the asphalt road while the rider sat calmly on the road kerb.What an horror it was!
Okada can never be safe.Never.Ones body is the body. I pray before climbing one and dictate the speed to the rider the extremely few times I engage them.I'll rather trek especially if I know my destination.

2. Okada has made Nigerians abandon the very healthy habit and exercise of trekking.Nigerians are now so lazy as they cant even undergo a paltry 5km trek.This has impacted negatively on their general health and wellbeing.

4. Okada riders take the law into their hands very often especially after an accident notwithstanding who was right or wrong.

5. The advent of Okada has seriously reduced the number of school drop outs and others who should have taken to apprenticeship and learnt one useful skill or the other.Instead they all go for the easier cheaper option of riding Okada and making quick money. This in turn reduces the number of available skilled labour in the country and affects our economy negatively. For how long can anyone ride Okada.

Parting shot
Let Okada be banned in Lagos and other major cities nationwide.It is not compulsory to stay in Lagos.Anyone who can not make a honest living from doing some skilled job or trade in Lagos should go back home and farm.
Enough said for now.

Please sir, the above not so brave a comment. You are looking at life at a very disadvantaged/negative point. You may wish to know, with the advent of okada business a lot of life advertently been saved due to restiveness of jobless Lagosians in which violent crimes to eke a living would have been unjustifiable options left for them. TheWith the right policies in place
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by Koolking(m): 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2011
jidewin:

@Psstylish,
You have your reasons and unfortunately,your posts from your experiences were negative ones.however,you also tend to GENERALISE that all okada riders are the same.I quite disagree for the following reasons.
1.If okada riders are been issued licences and "riders card"by lagos govt,why didn't the same govt utilise the revenue generation agency I.e "riders card permit" to have them trained before issuing the permits?.afterall,before u can be issued a license u were meant to have pass driving test supervised by VIO or accredited driving schools.
2.If govt don't improvise and utilise taxes been paid to make affordable educational institutions,such as universities,then the need of skill acquisition centers with standby job placement or finance support should be made available and properly monitored to see the right people actually get what the govt meant for them.its on this note I doff my hat for the deputy gov. Adebimpe.I know of many people wjo successfully webt through thsi training and were sponsored to dubai and soouth korea by lagos state govt.however,do yoiu know now that before u can be admitted into this skill centers,you must be connected or pay eventually?m
3.Matured okada riders are mindful of the way the ride on routes,except for most of the abokis and area boys,who rides and speeds excessively.which is why whenever u board a bike or okada,be ready to control him.otherwise,alight and board another.on our routes,is it commercial drivers that drives crazy and against traffic most times?how many of them have gov fashola single handedly arrested?oh hoo,ccos they owned by party members and supporters under the banner of AGBEROS.confirm if they do not have an office at alausa,where they daily make remittance to selected govt officials purse and treasuries.
4.Riding okada for commercial means have become source of employment for several families.takign it away from them means,asking them to come and fight for their means of livey hood.
Banning okada is not the solution.train and educate them first,even before issuing them riders card permit to which they also pay for.then they will become less menace to the society.
PStylish:

Okada should be banned.

Parting shot
Enough said for now.

Please sir, the above not so brave a comment. You are looking at this okada issue at a very negative perspective, even when the gain outweigh the lost. Life is risk and it is risky not to take the risk. You may wish to know, with the advent of okada business a lot of life advertently been saved due to restiveness of jobless Lagosians in which violent crimes to eke out a living would have been an unjustifiable option left for them. It is no doubt that the okada riders have contributed their quota to nation building. With the right policies in place their importance in the Nigerian economy cannot be over-emphasized considering the moribund/dearth of our public transportation system, which constrained on social and business endeavours. It can be better.
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by Koolking(m): 3:58pm On Dec 08, 2011
jidewin:

@Psstylish,
You have your reasons and unfortunately,your posts from your experiences were negative ones.however,you also tend to GENERALISE that all okada riders are the same.I quite disagree for the following reasons.

You are right on point bro.
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by musiwa43: 4:04pm On Dec 08, 2011
state should not ban Okada, it is the best for the economy, because you create job for the youth. You create traffic law to help them obey the rule of the road. I have to go.
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by superior1: 4:50pm On Dec 08, 2011
spate of armed robbers will increase if you ban them. Just put structures in place to make them responsible for their actions
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by delpee(f): 11:32pm On Dec 08, 2011
If they can stop constituting themselves into a nuisance on the roads then there's no need to ban them. Problem is they just refuse to obey rules and Lagos cant afford to tolerate lawlessness. As for me I'd rather walk than ride an okada. Too dangerous IMO. You need only one visit to Igbobi to make up your mind.

They didnt exist some years ago and we moved around somehow. Its understandable that the high rate of unemployment and the get rich quick attitude of our people may have contributed to its growth. BTW dont people derive some health benefits from walking in between bus stops as is done outside these shores? We have just become impatient and lazy to our detriment.
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by logica(m): 11:53pm On Dec 08, 2011
superior1:

spate of armed robbers will increase if you ban them. Just put structures in place to make them responsible for their actions
It will increase? I thought most armed robbers who operate using bikes use the same okada for public transport already. So where is the increase coming from?
Re: Pix's: Okada Operators Protest ban and Extortions By Enforcement Agents by Baawaa(m): 11:43am On Dec 09, 2011
Gov. should call their leaders n tell them wat to do n wat nt to do.Banning them is nt d best

(1) (Reply)

Over 100m Nigerians Can’t Be Properly Identified – NIMC / CERTIFICATE SCANDAL: BUHARI'S Popularity/Integrity On A Sharp Decline NationWide / Buhari: The Only Leader Ever Who Voted Against His Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.