Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,157 members, 7,835,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi (5471 Views)

Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK / Buhari Denies Claims That He Has Plans To Islamize Nigeria When Elected / Jonathan Has No Intention To Probe Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Onlytruth(m): 5:53am On Dec 08, 2011
Umunne m na umunna m, akuko nke a gbara m gharii.  undecided  Can anyone please throw more light on this? 

Elechi has no intention to Islamize Ebonyi -Commissioner

From Goddy Osuji Abakaliki

Thursday, December 08, 2011

Governor Martin Elechi of Ebonyi State has denied the allegation that he intends to Islamize the state through the establishment of an Almajiri School in Afikpo.

Elechi was accused by the Anglican Bishop of Afikpo, Rt. Rev. Paul Udogu of planning to Islamize the state by establishing an Almajiri school at Afikpo which would put the state in great danger of breeding Boko Haram and the likes of Osama Bin Laden.

The Governor through his Commissioner for Information and State Orientation, Mr. Chike Onwe while briefing journalists in Abakaliki regretted that such a misconception of intention of the state to establish an Almajiri school for Moslem children who live at the Centre for Islamic studies at Enohia Itim Afikpo local government area that has been in existence, could be misconstrued by the Bishop.

Onwe in his explanation stated, “The state government like all modern governments in 21st century believes in freedom of worship. This principle of secularity in governance is in tandem with Nigeria’s philosophy of religious diversity, where Christians, Moslems and Traditional worshippers are at liberty to practice their religious intolerance and hate.”

He recalled the promise he has made to the Moslem community in the state, when they paid him a Sallah homage at the last Eid-el Fitri celebrations, to assist the Arabic centre to build an Almajiri school should not be misinterpreted or politicized unnecessarily the way the Anglican Bishop would want to do. He added: “The government has been offering assistance to Christian churches in the state in response to reasonable appeals made towards the execution of important projects, as such, the promise to assist the Moslems was certainly not an outlandish commitment.”

The commissioner described the allegation the Bishop made about dilapidated public schools in the state and the falling standard of education as a campaign of calumny against the state government, using the religious argument as a subterfuge to launch his full scale destructive criticism.“For the avoidance of doubt, the state government since 2008 has set up 30 pilot boarding schools to promote qualitative education at the secondary school level”, Onwe further explained.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/dec/08/national-08-12-2011-017.html
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Nobody: 7:46am On Dec 08, 2011
That is how the cookies crumble.

Perhaps the next generation of suicide bombers would be "Mahumud Obiorah, Abdul Ikechukwu, etc."

It is only the ignorant and the stupid that will do such a thing as the governor is doing.

They won't allow us free in their domain and here we are assisting them with our resources.

Shame on the so called Governor!
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by xtianh(m): 8:29am On Dec 08, 2011
But the school has been there even b4 the government of Martins Elechi started. When i was in Afipko last year i saw the school the area is occupd by Northern Islamist
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 08, 2011
anybody that knows this elechi of a governor should please send him a word of reason before he sells out generations unborn for a bowl of broth.i wonder how much he's been paid! angry
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Yeske2(m): 10:28am On Dec 08, 2011
This is outright madness, why should we have that in Igboland?
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by chino11(m): 2:26pm On Dec 08, 2011
This is consequences of having a man bereft of idea and vision to rule a state. Imagine already a backward state of Ebonyi digging its own grave. While its the fault of Ebonyi people due to the low level of human qualitative capital to wrestle power from this ancient man called governor elechi. This Islamic center alone is capable of being hotspot for islamic fundamentalists that can threaten the region. Well I hope it doesn't come anywhere near my state.
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Onlytruth(m): 1:57am On Dec 09, 2011
Okay, I wanted to know whether folks are thinking the same thing.
What struck me was the "Almajiri" appellation to this school. Why not just set up a school ( a western styled school I must add) for every poor person there? Why "Almajiri Islamic school" in Igboland? Chineke ekwela ihe ojoo! shocked shocked shocked

In Kano state for instance, I know (from experience ) that it is a tug of war to obtain a C of O for a church.
Now, imagine applying for a Christian seminary, talk less of obtaining sponsorship from the state government. IMPOSSIBLE.

So, my brothers, you see why it is dangerous for us to be careless about our political leanings, and joining just ANY political party? I doubt that an APGA governor would do this, but let me not talk yet.
You see why it is important for us to speak with one voice on key things?
You see why it is hard to be complacent in Nigeria? If you think this is a careless gambit by aboki, think again!
You think this is harmless? Fast forward to 10 years time and you would see the fruits!
As we speak, Fulani herdsmen (Almajiri of course) are torching homes and killing people in Benue, just a few kilometers up north.

I am not against freedom of religion. I am against Almajiri Islamic school in any part of Igboland. PERIOD. cool
If a Muslim Igbo becomes poor, Igbo culture forbids carrying plates and begging for alms. They should go and learn a trade or complete an apprenticeship.
If the Muslim is non-Igbo, we must not allow them to form almajiri brotherhood in our land. They should go back home.
Martin Elechi should cease and desist from his ill advised "charity".

Ndigbo should keep a very close eye to our northern borders. cool
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by ak47mann(m): 2:30am On Dec 09, 2011
Their population in ebony state is not much we can still put them under our control.
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Onlytruth(m): 10:28am On Dec 09, 2011
ak47mann:

Their population in ebony state is not much we can still put them under our control.

That is what the Beroms in Jos and Benue people thought a few years back. I doubt they still say that now.
What is this governor smoking anyway?
Is he smoking PDP? angry
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Rhino5dm: 7:58pm On Apr 24, 2012
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by nduchucks: 8:43pm On Apr 24, 2012
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 24, 2012
I have not seen a SW person replying to this thread, why?
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Rhino5dm: 9:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
Because they're not bigots cool.

cogitoErgo: I have not seen a SW person replying to this thread, why?

1 Like

Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Nchara: 9:30pm On Apr 24, 2012
This is for northerners resident in Ebonyi and after the outcry by Igbos it was stopped. Igbos want no almajiri in Igboland as you have it in the north and the SW
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by aljharem(m): 9:45pm On Apr 24, 2012
This gets better grin grin grin grin jsut yesterday you all were laughing at the north and yorubas for having aljmajiri. Look now, see life grin grin grin grin

Our people say

Aka a na-ana dike bu itube ya (abuba) ugo. good should be apperciated cool
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by bashr8: 10:04pm On Apr 24, 2012
alj harem: This gets better grin grin grin grin jsut yesterday you all were laughing at the north and yorubas for having aljmajiri. Look now, see life grin grin grin grin

Our people say

Aka a na-ana dike bu itube ya (abuba) ugo. good should be apperciated cool
wrong the schoo is for northerners that live in ebonyi and not for igbo thats the diference.
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Rhino5dm: 10:04pm On Apr 24, 2012
Mu he he he grin . . .Or Alhaji John shocked grin

noblezone: That is how the cookies crumble.

Perhaps the next generation of suicide bombers would be "Mahumud Obiorah, Abdul Ikechukwu, etc." shocked shocked

It is only the ignorant and the stupid that will do such a thing as the governor is doing.

They won't allow us free in their domain and here we are assisting them with our resources.

Shame on the so called Governor!
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by bashr8: 10:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
dont they have people in ebonyi ? we dont even have one single ebonyi person on this nairaland. how backward can a state get angry angry angry angry
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 24, 2012
bashr8: dont they have people in ebonyi ? we dont even have one single ebonyi person on this nairaland. how backward can a state get angry angry angry angry

nna na wao.
ebonyi people where una dey sef?
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 24, 2012
alj harem: This gets better grin grin grin grin jsut yesterday you all were laughing at the north and yorubas for having aljmajiri. Look now, see life grin grin grin grin

Our people say

A[b]ka a na-ana dike bu itube ya (abuba) ugo.[/b] good should be apperciated cool

alhaji who taught you this igbo proverb?
make you mind yourself o
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Ejine(m): 10:24pm On Apr 24, 2012
How come Ebonyi dey always carry last for Igboland? I'm really worried! Why can't they all just come together and throw out that old buffoon called Elechi?
For starters, it is even against the constitution for the government to dabble in religious matters.
We can't keep living this way sad
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by OneNaira6: 10:29pm On Apr 24, 2012
This is a shame. If this is actually for northern residing in ebonyi as some say then the question remains upon the reason they need to build such school in that state. If they wanted islamic school then send them back to their original state. I dont think igbo goes up north demanding for a catholic school, correct me if im wrong..mscheww. They can practice their religion but dont allow a chance that would impact una community negatively just to appease others. Lets all be frank, we all know igbo parents would send their children to those school. As long its a school that would give their children some form of education and its close to home, they would send their children there. Smh. This is the dumbest thing done by ebonyi governor. As for person that mentioned this isnt a new story and that the school has always been there, brother you just made my heart drop. I thought there is still a chance to talk the governor out of it. SE, one of una state need to absorb ebonyi into una. They clearly do not know what they doing thus they do not need to be a state by itself.Shame. Can someone from ebonyi elaborate to us what is going in that state.
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by aljharem(m): 10:37pm On Apr 24, 2012
re@lchange:

alhaji who taught you this igbo proverb?
make you mind yourself o

My brother, we are one. Why do we keep fighting each other ? Your skin colour is black and mine is black as well. What is the difference between you and I is religion. Don't you see that ?

Aljmajiri is not only in the north but all around Nigeria and we need to work together to fight the plague.

My 2 kobo

1 Like

Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by bittyend(m): 10:39pm On Apr 24, 2012
I thought there were no almajiri in the East??

The future ndu_chuks and alj_harem in Igboland. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 24, 2012
alj harem:

My brother, we are one. Why do we keep fighting each other ? Your skin colour is black and mine is black as well. What is the difference between you and I is religion. Don't you see that ?

Aljmajiri is not only in the north but all around Nigeria and we need to work together to fight the plague.

My 2 kobo

so you want to recruit me into al quada abi?
abeg no thanks!
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by OneNaira6: 11:02pm On Apr 24, 2012
bashr8: dont they have people in ebonyi ? we dont even have one single ebonyi person on this nairaland. how backward can a state get angry angry angry angry

I thought xtian, the first guy that replied, is from ebonyi.
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by 9jaIhail(m): 11:25pm On Apr 24, 2012
bittyend: I thought there were no almajiri in the East??

The future ndu_chuks and alj_harem in Igboland. grin grin grin grin grin

Hey what brought you here.I thought you announced your retirement on Nairaland today how come you came back,did you came through the back door this time?
But the bolded made me laugh and fell from my sit even i have scattered my laptop why laughing my head out lol.

That Governor must be idiiot for thinking with his legs instead of head.
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by OneNaira6: 11:38pm On Apr 24, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Hey what brought you here.I thought you announced your retirement on Nairaland today how come you came back,did you came through the back door this time?
But the bolded made me laugh and fell from my sit even i have scattered my laptop why laughing my head out lol.

That Governor must be idiiot for thinking with his legs instead of head.

Hes clearly addicted. I no blame am. do you kno how long ive been trying to avoid this forum but yet I keep coming back like a crackhead in need for a crack. I suspect seun used juju on this forum. Pesin heart go poison before pesin sabi sense.
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by belovedaja(m): 11:49pm On Apr 24, 2012
xtianh: But the school has been there even b4 the government of Martins Elechi started. When i was in Afipko last year i saw the school the area is occupd by Northern Islamist
the school should be demolished immediately for security reasons

1 Like

Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Nchara: 11:51pm On Apr 24, 2012
The ebonyi almajiri school is a school for northern almajiris residing in Ebonyi
This is different than the school being built by the fed govt in Oyo and hopefully in Osun, Lagos and Ogun which is for indigenes

If yo doubt me, show me a post where almajiris in Ebonyi are known to be Ebonyi indigenes

This one here shows clearly that the almajiris in Yorubaland are Yorubas

https://www.nairaland.com/149827/emerging-social-almajiris-yorubaland

In any case, the Ebonyi project has been sent to the gallows.
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by aljharem(m): 12:06am On Apr 25, 2012
re@lchange:

so you want to recruit me into al quada abi?
abeg no thanks!

Al quada ? shocked You think you are the only one scared of them ? Bro wake up, everyone Muslims, Christians, Animist and Atheist are all scared Al quada.

Again lets work together to make sure such does not happen in Nigeria
Re: Almajiri School In Ebonyi State? Elechi Has No Intention To Islamize Ebonyi by Odunnu: 4:03am On Apr 25, 2012
ak47mann: Their population in ebony state is not much we can still put them under our control.
I laff in swahili.

Afikpo by my personal estimation has just about 20% of its inhabitants as christians, 50% moslems and 30% traditionalists.
Christianity is majorly for the elderly/aged

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Late Mr. James Ocholi And His Family Were Murdered Says FRSC Boss / NSIA Enters Into $50m Carbon Reduction Deal With Netherland Firm, Vitol / I Was Rejected, Humiliated And Denied Because I Am From Ebonyi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.