Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,316 members, 7,842,938 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. (6589 Views)

Man Killed In Rivers As Soldiers-Militants Clash (Graphic Photo) / Soldiers, Militants Clash Claims Three In Delta - PUNCH / Ex-Mend Militants Vow To Storm Borno In Search Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Ndkings1(m): 10:59pm On Dec 08, 2011
Niger delta boys una don fall my hand ooooo.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by VoodooDoll(m): 11:02pm On Dec 08, 2011
From my reading of the constitution, I do not think GEJ can just call up the Military willy nilly.  Though I have not seen any reports that says the Military was used to block the MEND chaps today.

We are either a country with Laws or a country without.  And it would appear we are a country without!!

Constitution and Nigeria's armed forces:

(2) The Federation shall, subject to an Act of the National Assembly made in that behalf, equip and maintain the armed forces as may be considered adequate and effective for the purpose of -

(a) defending Nigeria from external aggression;

(b) maintaining its territorial integrity and securing its borders from violation on land, sea, or air;

(c) suppressing insurrection and acting in aid of civil authorities to restore order when called upon to do so by the President, but subject to such conditions as may be prescribed by an Act of the National Assembly; and

(d) performance such other functions as may be prescribed by an Act of the National Assembly.

Source: http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#ArmedForcesOfTheFederation
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Beaf: 11:02pm On Dec 08, 2011
Gbawe is still in deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pain, because AregbeRASCALs 19 busloads of uselessly jobless aluta howlers were deported from Abuja, where they had been headed to sing lullabies and whisper sweet nothings to Tinubu's scarily pimpled, grey haired, dusty arse. grin grin grin
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Kobojunkie: 11:06pm On Dec 08, 2011
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Kilode1: 11:28pm On Dec 08, 2011
I guess they have finally divided the country for una.

You all need visa to come to Abuja now grin
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Kilode1: 11:32pm On Dec 08, 2011
Beaf:

Gbawe is still in deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pain, because AregbeRASCALs 19 busloads of uselessly jobless aluta howlers were deported from Abuja, where they had been headed to sing lullabies and whisper sweet nothings to Tinubu's scarily pimpled, grey haired, dusty arse. grin grin grin

Kai! See Too much details grin

Shey You don see Tinubu arse before ni? shocked
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 08, 2011
I wonder why beaf didnt end up being a militant ?
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Kilode1: 11:40pm On Dec 08, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Sometimes the love for propaganda beclouds the capacity for basic reasoning!!

Hahahahaha

Really?

Na the same PapaBrowne of "Spin and Spell" fame be this ? grin

Aawayuu sah?
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Gbawe: 12:39am On Dec 09, 2011
Kilode?!:

Hahahahaha

Really?

Na the same PapaBrowne of "Spin and Spell" fame be this ? grin

Aawayuu sah?

Very well oga . Papabrowne "rolling dollar" at your service .
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by dondigi(m): 12:39am On Dec 09, 2011
I left Abuja 9am on the 8th on my way to Warri. I got to Auchi 10 past mid nite. Am passing the nite in my car. My life has never been crazier.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by okadaman2: 12:57am On Dec 09, 2011
^
Did they ask you for visa too? LOL

Gbawe:

Very well oga . Papabrowne "rolling dollar" at your service .

Hahaha

Oba awon propagandists niyen! grin
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by ibrak90(m): 1:03am On Dec 09, 2011
GEJ and his watch dogs ,
I will want to believe you dogs are systematically soliciting for a job in the villa , Tell me where there are no angry youth, I have now started seeing this dump boi as a real prodigal son, who will end up his life in exile.

I have always see him as lucky the don and not the real LUCKY , olodorabata
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by dayokanu(m): 1:10am On Dec 09, 2011
The same Papabrowne who told us Ore benin road was already renovated before the elections?

How would anyone take such charlatan seriously
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Kobojunkie: 2:28am On Dec 09, 2011
^^^ You still remember that whole thing . . . . Kai . . . . . he even post pictures self . . . if no be say people dey ply that road regularly, we for all don believe am ooo.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Gbawe: 3:31am On Dec 09, 2011
Beaf:

Oga, as unlikely as it sounds, did you not brag that you were "always a militant" recently? Now, what kind of "militant" would enter this thread to begin commenting about Gbawe instead of first speaking about the plight of his brethren who , on top of seeing their allowance unpaid as was agreed , now have the indignity of being horsewhipped over plans to protest ,as is their fundamental rights, against percieved ill-treatment. Some "militant" you are. 

Not even a word about the plight of your fellow ( **Gbawe hand quotes**)  "militants". Shior. My fellow Nairalanders Beaf claims he is a  (**Gbawe hand quotes**) "militant". Well , while we are playing cyber fantasy, let me say that I am a real life Nigerian Rambo-style hero who once  single-handedly wiped out a Sierra-leonian posse of 2000 rebels. Men, I went Jackie Chan on their azz !!!!Abeg can some fellow nairalanders tell us what/who you are (only wild fantasy allowed please  grin grin grin grin grin)?
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by bonna4u(m): 7:39am On Dec 09, 2011
This story sounds mixed up to me. I was listening to facts file on ray power yesterday morning being thursday when a lady phoned in to complain that they were stucked on the highway to leading to Abuja around Okene in kogi state. According to her she has been there since 2am while some other motorists have been there since 4pm the previous day being wednesday (07/12/11).
From the lady's account, agrieved militants in area were protesting because they felt the federal government has marginalized them during the amnesty program as the need their own amnesty. Thus, they carried ply cards demönstrating. When asked by the presenter if they were armed, she said no. When the presenter asked about the security situation in the area, She said mobile police men have arrived and are trying to disperse the crowd.
This may have nothing to do with MEND.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Bawss1(m): 9:17am On Dec 09, 2011
6,000 militants in a gun fight with the police? That's the problem I have with Sahara Reporters, their stories are not without embellishments. And with dubious reporting nothing lasting can be achieved. Now the pro GEJ/PDP team will use this to their advantage as it is expected.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Kx: 9:24am On Dec 09, 2011
Are u guys not derailing this thread?
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by KokoBeware: 10:28am On Dec 09, 2011
Most of you have not seen Millitants ex or no ex protesting, trust me is not with placards and stuff,

you cannot allow paid hoodlumps come into the country capital to cause havoc, its best they were stopped at Lokoja than waiting to see what they will do when they come into Abuja, Abuja is already on edge we dont need any gathering of ex-millitant, why didnt dey protest to in their state, imagine if they were allowed into Abuja and in the whole confusion a bomb goes off,
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by samsuny(m): 10:57am On Dec 09, 2011
Transformation Agenda plus fresh air =
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by aletheia(m): 11:10am On Dec 09, 2011
Gbawe:

It is about abuse of power that breaches the funamental human rights of Nigerians.
^Bros, you don dey fall my hand, well, well. I am no fan of any Nigerian government talkless of GEJ, but let me ask you this: how does preventing an influx of hoodlums into the Federal Capital constitute a breach of the fundamental human rights of Nigerians? How about the thousands of Nigerians who were held up in their journeys by the lawless act of the so-called militants in barricading the Abuja-Lokoja road? What of their own fundamental human rights? Shouldn't the government have taken responsibility and acted?
I see them as thugs and miscreants who have no business going to Abuja.

Gbawe:

They are now constantly stopping any group , through Lokoja, who wish to go into Abuja to protest against the FG or show solidarity for anyone opposing the FG.
^How many groups have been stopped, that it has become "constantly stopping any group"? Take it easy man. Don't let anger cloud objectivity.

Gbawe:

How is that a good development and what brings "bitterness" into this? Are you not a Nigerian? Is my point lost on you? Even If we think everyone criticising the Government does so out of bitterness then we should still minimally inspect what they are saying and comment on that . That is how citizens do it in other Nations to the extent their nation became great.
^Your tone sounds bitter. News can always be reported in ways that favor a particular angle. Here is another report of the same incident:
ECONOMIC activities in Kogi State were, on Thursday, brought to a halt as a  group of Niger Delta ex-militants blocked the Murtala Muhammed bridge in Lokoja, which links the South with Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.

The ex-militants, numbering about 1,600, who were on their way to the presidency, to protest against the non-fulfilment of promises on amnesty programme, gave President Goodluck Jonathan a four-day ultimatum to implement the amnesty agreement.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/32561-ex-militants-shut-down-niger-bridge

Your point is not lost on me, but Nigeria is no way near a police state, neither now nor any time soon. Not all criticism of the government is out of bitterness but it becomes mighty suspicious when the person doing the criticism does not at all see anything wrong with his own political party when the compliment is returned.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Gbawe: 11:23am On Dec 09, 2011
aletheia:

^Bros, you don dey fall my hand, well, well. I am no fan of any Nigerian government talkless of GEJ, but let me ask you this: how does preventing an influx of hoodlums into the Federal Capital constitute a breach of the fundamental human rights of Nigerians? How about the thousands of Nigerians who were held up in their journeys by the lawless act of the so-called militants in barricading the Abuja-Lokoja road? What of their own fundamental human rights? Shouldn't the government have taken responsibility and acted?
I see them as thugs and miscreants who have no business going to Abuja.

My guy, this is arrogant elitism even if you don't see it. The Government made a deal with these lads because they wanted to continue drilling and selling crude in peace thus keeping the dollars rolling in. "drop your arms and we will rehabilitate you into society" . That was the deal. It is therefore unfair to keep characterising these guys as "hoodlums" and "miscreants" because they now wish to protest for the Government to keep their end of the bargain as they are allowed to do.

Why are we Nigerians keen to always suggest injustice against others as a solution if we truly believe in equity ? I personally think the ethos of many Nigerians has been badly bastardized to the extent we now have no problem casually backing unjust and dictatorial behaviour. It is strange you have nothing to say about how the Government made promises to get these boys drop their arms. Now that the oil is flowing peacefully and Abuja is drenched with money, we would expect the Government to play its minimal part in ensuring this continues instead of sticking a finger up at these lads via not paying what is due to them and thus effectively sticking a finger up at them. You are very wrong and arrogant to view these guys as "hoodlums" and "miscreants" , because they agitate for what is due to them, while you have nothing to say for a government now enjoying subtantially more revenue from oil via the actions of these boys to drop their arms. You are wrong sir to view these guys as you do. They are the aggrieved party here. No doubt about that.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by aletheia(m): 11:43am On Dec 09, 2011
Gbawe:

My guy, this is arrogant elitism even if you don't see it.

Arrogant elitism? Please be objective. Not only was your source article riddled with outlandish claims of 6000 "ex-militants" but the claims of the so-called militants do not stand up to close scrutiny. For example: there were 1600 of them and guess what? All of them were "generals" with foot soldiers. Really? How many ND miltants were there, to start with?
“The 1,600 militants en-route to Abuja are all generals whose foot soldiers laid down their arms. Now, the foot soldiers are tired of excuses we are giving them. They are already suspecting we have collected the money from the government and only come back to deceive them.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/29196-chaos-on-abuja-lokoja-road.html

Don't you know the mentality of the average Nigerian when it comes to free money. Some people now see the Amnesty programme has a means to free government handouts. . .and so all sorts of people now crawl out of the woodwork and call themselves militants in order to access that money.

Please look beyond the rhetoric.

I maintain that they are thugs and miscreants who had no business going to Abuja.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Bawss1(m): 12:03pm On Dec 09, 2011
If we are serious about establishing a government that respects its citizens then the rights of everyone (as stated in the constitution) must be respected, including these ex-militants. . . It is the politically correct thing to do when we do not refer to these ex militants as hoodlums or touts but personally one can only see that whatever treatment is meted out to them by the government is well deserved. Time was when they got away with kidnappings and murder all in the name of fighting for their rights.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by SOLLYBOY1: 12:07pm On Dec 09, 2011
PapaBrowne I WAS ON THAT ROAD YESTERDAY NINE HOURS ON A SPOT

Am sure dat is your propagada ba ?
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Kobojunkie: 12:18pm On Dec 09, 2011
bonna4u:

This story sounds mixed up to me. I was listening to facts file on ray power yesterday morning being thursday when a lady phoned in to complain that they were stucked on the highway to leading to Abuja around Okene in kogi state. According to her she has been there since 2am while some other motorists have been there since 4pm the previous day being wednesday (07/12/11).
From the lady's account, [b]agrieved militants in area were protesting because they felt the federal government has marginalized them during the amnesty program as the need their own amnesty. [/b]Thus, they carried ply cards demönstrating. When asked by the presenter if they were armed, she said no. When the presenter asked about the security situation in the area, She said mobile police men have arrived and are trying to disperse the crowd.
This may have nothing to do with MEND.

***shudders****
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Gbawe: 3:21pm On Dec 09, 2011
SOLLY_BOY:

PapaBrowne I WAS ON THAT ROAD YESTERDAY NINE HOURS ON A SPOT

Am sure dat is your propagada ba ?

You dey mind oga "spin and spell"?

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5749215-146/police_halt_militants_protest_march_to.csp

Police halt militants' protest march to Abuja

December 9, 2011 02:00PM

Police in Lokoja on Thursday intercepted about 300 vehicles conveying some rehabilitated militants and their leaders to Abuja for a protest march against government's handling of the amnesty programme.

The Commissioner of Police in Kogi, Mr John Abakasanga confirmed to newsmen that the militants were intercepted at Jamata old toll gate area on Lokoja -Abuja road at about 4 a.m.

He explained that several attempts made to let them have a change of mind and return to their bases proved abortive.

Abakasanga , however, said that the protesting militants did not block the way as earlier reported, saying that it was police that ordered a halt of their movement to Abuja because of the likely implications of their intended protest in the city.

The militants numbering more than 1,000 came in luxury buses, mini buses and cars from Rivers, Bayelsa, Edo, Ondo and Delta States.

The CP stated that he opted for the option of advising the militants to go back because there was no way they could gain entrance into Abuja as security agents had been fully instructed to be on the look out for them.

However, the action led to several hours of traffic gridlock on the ever busy Lokoja-Abuja highway as vehicles coming on both sides were trapped on the roads .

It took the combined team of soldiers, policemen and a unit of FRSC at Koton-Karfe to clear the obstruction created by the former militants.

They insisted on addressing a news conference to convey their feelings to the Federal Government, a request which the security agents around quickly granted.

The concession eventually paved way for reporters to get to the scene of the action.

[b]Addressing newsmen, one of their leaders who simply identified himself as "General" Ramsey confirmed that they were on their way to Abuja to register their displeasure over government's alleged mishandling of the amnesty programme.

"The government asked us to come out of the creeks and lay down our arms, which, we did, but since then, the government has failed to fulfil its own part of it but they keep promising us.

"While we have embraced the amnesty programme, the Federal Government is frustrating it by refusing to pay us and we don't want to go back to the creeks or pick up arms," the spokesman also said.

He further declared that ,"The 1,600 militants en-route to Abuja are all generals who have foot soldiers under them who equally laid down their arms.

" Now the foot soldiers are tired of the excuses we are giving them because they believe we have collected the money from the government and only come back to deceive them."

He said all the protesters graduated from the rehabilitation training centres since December last year, adding that since then they were neither paid nor settled in any way by the government.[/b]

"Each time we meet with the government, they keep telling us to come back tomorrow.

" Now, we are giving a four- day's ultimatum to the Federal Government to fulfil their side of the bargain.

"Our boys are angry and they want to go back to the creeks and we are tired of holding them back.

" So we want Nigerians and the whole world to know that the Federal Government is frustrating the amnesty programme and the militants.'' he further contended

Ramsey said that the police intercepted them at about 4 a.m. and asked them to go back on the grounds that the convoy was too large to go to Abuja for any protest.

He said that was why they decided to stay with the police while the traffic continued to build up.

"We did not block the road, it was the police that blocked the road and prevented travellers from moving freely on the road.

" We are not armed, we were going to Abuja to register our grievances,'' Ramsey said.

After the news conference, passengers heaved a sigh of relief as the protesters eventually agreed to go back at about 1:45 p.m.

An elated Abakasanga, who confirmed this to newsmen, said that the former militants had agreed to go back through Okene road, saying that police will provide them escort up till the border town between Kogi and Edo states.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by otondo55: 2:48pm On Dec 10, 2011
GEJ remains a flop. so disappointed of a man.
Re: Joint Task Force And Ex-MEND Militants Clash In Lokoja. by Beaf: 3:23pm On Dec 10, 2011
Gbawe:

Oga, as unlikely as it sounds, did you not brag that you were "always a militant" recently? Now, what kind of "militant" would enter this thread to begin commenting about Gbawe instead of first speaking about the plight of his brethren who , on top of seeing their allowance unpaid as was agreed , now have the indignity of being horsewhipped over plans to protest ,as is their fundamental rights, against percieved ill-treatment. Some "militant" you are.

Not even a word about the plight of your fellow ( **Gbawe hand quotes**) "militants". Shior. My fellow Nairalanders Beaf claims he is a (**Gbawe hand quotes**) "militant". Well , while we are playing cyber fantasy, let me say that I am a real life Nigerian Rambo-style hero who once single-handedly wiped out a Sierra-leonian posse of 2000 rebels. Men, I went Jackie Chan on their azz !!!!Abeg can some fellow nairalanders tell us what/who you are (only wild fantasy allowed please grin grin grin grin grin)?

Boring.

Are you denying that your deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pain is not because of AregbeRASCALs 19 buses of hairy aluta howlers that were summarily deported from Abuja? Afterall, you mentioned it in the very first post of this thread. Lol!
Ol' boy, Abuja is not a place for useless protest journeys without police clearance, especially with your unwashed and unshaved brothers, boko haram running rampant.

Dude, you should be more worried about your dear Aregbesola in whose sympathy you started an article as wretchedly useless as this one. The man has been scaling higher heights, giving "free land" to farmers in an elephant reserve, only to get the poor sods thoroughly beaten and packed off their "free land" once the camera's had gone. That didn't shock you, rather you have brought us a tall tale about 6000 militants stopped in a hail of gunfire on the road to Abuja! Na war?!! See story! shocked

Any functioning mind, not unhinged by blind political loyalties would quickly conclude that the figure of 6000 is preposterous and the whole article, wonderously exagerated to the extent of being close to false.
Gbawe, go and rest, you are tired and your battery is weak.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ACN Scribe Rejects Jonathan's Pib Appointment. / French Ship Impounded Over 8.5m Barrels Oil Theft / Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.