Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,915 members, 7,824,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? (2947 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! / Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by achukwunet(f): 8:32pm On Dec 14, 2011
When I visited Nigeria last December, I was shocked by all the trash I was looking at (I visited Lagos & Onitcha for a month). Then, I also saw men peeing on the sides of roads. No big deal, people do that where I live, ONLY IF THEY REALLY HAVE TO.
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by iice(f): 4:00am On Dec 15, 2011
lol
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by Naledi14(f): 6:03am On Dec 15, 2011
Some do but honestly majority dont i dont even think its about manners its about culture its just the way they are in south africa you tell a person is a nigerian by looking at his mannerism's sometimes you have to carry yourself a certain way in certain situations speak a certain way etc. With SOME nigerians they carry on like thr in nigeria anywhere in the world. I feel like they are less culturable ( unable to adapt to other peoples way of being ) than other africans sometimes feel its a good thing other times just feel like shouting get with the bloody program already.
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by Naledi14(f): 6:06am On Dec 15, 2011
Some do but honestly majority dont i dont even think its about manners its about culture its just the way they are in south africa you tell a person is a nigerian by looking at his mannerism's sometimes you have to carry yourself a certain way in certain situations speak a certain way etc. With SOME nigerians they carry on like thr in nigeria anywhere in the world. I feel like they are less culturable ( unable to adapt to other peoples way of being ) than other africans sometimes feel its a good thing other times just feel like shouting get with the bloody program already.
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by achukwunet(f): 5:50am On Dec 18, 2011
Naledi14:

I don't think it's culture. Is it culture for men and women to urinate on the sides of roads or far into distant bushes?
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by aljharem3: 1:01pm On Dec 18, 2011
achukwunet:

When I visited Nigeria last December, I was shocked by all the trash I was looking at (I visited Lagos & Onitcha for a month). Then, I also saw men peeing on the sides of roads. No big deal, people do that where I live, ONLY IF THEY REALLY HAVE TO.

Where you were coming from (abroad), I am sure the were clean public toilets everywhere, along side roadside restaurants and train stations having their own toilets that commuters can use isn't there ?

Well in Nigeria aka Onitcha and Lagos, there is no such thing as public toilets every 10 meters or so and the few public toilets there is, it is so dirty due to lack of maintenance that you would prefer to urinate publicly than in those toilets.

Not that people don't know the right thing to do but they are forced to do such

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by achukwunet(f): 4:58am On Dec 23, 2011
alj_harem:

Where you were coming from (abroad), I am sure the were clean public toilets everywhere, along side roadside restaurants and train stations having their own toilets that commuters can use isn't there ?

Well in Nigeria aka Onitcha and Lagos, there is no such thing as public toilets every 10 meters or so and the few public toilets there is, it is so dirty due to lack of maintenance that you would prefer to urinate publicly than in those toilets.

Not that people don't know the right thing to do but they are forced to do such

Just let me know the pubic toilets here are just as bad as the ones in Naija
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by manmustwac(m): 5:45pm On Dec 23, 2011
most people behave like animals here. I seen women open thier legs and urinate in public (something that i have never seen before in my life here in london) talkless of men
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by denzel2009: 5:50pm On Dec 23, 2011
Urinating na small thing. If you pass by CMS in the morning, you will see people bathing by the roadside.
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by manmustwac(m): 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2011
denzel2009:

Urinating na small thing. If you pass by CMS in the morning, you will see people bathing by the roadside.
talkless of people who you'll see squatting and shitting by the roadside.
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by achukwunet(f): 2:28am On Jan 03, 2012
manmustwac:

talkless of people who you'll see squatting and shitting by the roadside.

Urinating? A small thing? That's Indecent Exposure. There's nothing small about showing your private quarters to passerby
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by tpia5: 3:41am On Jan 03, 2012
^^so i take it you never saw or heard of nudies where you are overseas.
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by ifyalways(f): 5:04am On Jan 03, 2012
@OP,Alhaji gave you the right and only valid response.There are no public washrooms . . .and even when they exist,are either quite expensive(Yeah,not everyone can afford to part with N20 just for urinating) or not-so-clean.

. . .Now that you know the reason behind our manners or lack of thereof,would you be kind and patriotic enough to invest in "clean and free public washrooms" ?
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by achukwunet(f): 8:38am On Jan 03, 2012
tpia@:

^^so i take it you never saw or heard of nudies where you are overseas.

yes i have. Don't you find it disturbing seeing people doing these things?
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by tpia5: 11:40am On Jan 03, 2012
I have other things to worry about.
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by achukwunet(f): 5:58am On Jan 04, 2012
tpia@:

I have other things to worry about.

then don't respond. its just a topic
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by manmustwac(m): 12:59pm On Jan 04, 2012
achukwunet:

Urinating? A small thing? That's Indecent Exposure. There's nothing small about showing your private quarters to passerby
I also once saw my girlfriend who had been circumsized open her legs in front of me and had to put both her fingers inside her you know what and use it to guide her urine as it came out. Wasn't a pretty sight.
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by ifyalways(f): 4:52pm On Jan 04, 2012
^Gross.

Why did she have to do all that and was it outdoors ?
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by Zilja(f): 7:57pm On Jan 04, 2012
WOW, this topic is distribing to me. I am in a relationship with a Nigerian man now who's been in the states for over ten years. I couldn't imagine him doing something like that.  We've beein dating for about 3 months now so there's not much I am aware of just yet. [color=#000099][/color] shocked
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by manmustwac(m): 8:07pm On Jan 04, 2012
ifyalways:

^Gross.

Why did she have to do all that and was it outdoors ?
YES! It was outside in a public place. She was desperate to do it and couldn't hold it and couldn't hold it any longer.
Re: Do Nigerians Have Public Manners? by achukwunet(f): 6:47am On Jul 04, 2012
oh my goodness thats gross!!! lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

What Does Sweet In The Middle Mean, In Reference To A Fat Person / Ndi Be Anyi, dem-people Na-ekele Unu. / Mo Fe Jiggy-Jiggy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.