Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,276 members, 7,839,376 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos (23048 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Okija Shrine: No Longer A Bee-hive Of Activities For Politicians (photos) / Securing A 2nd Term In Office Is No Longer A Birth Right – Obasanjo Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 15, 2011
When was it ever a crime in Nigeria?
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by HighChief4(m): 3:22pm On Dec 15, 2011
Lasinoh:

Was it a crime before?
How many have gone to jail for it?
Many NL had 3-4 pregnant co-wives in the wedding parties. . .AT THE ALTARS/SHRINES, AT THE SAME TIME!!! cheesy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8292312.stm

[img]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46503000/jpg/_46503139_traditionalwedding2(2).jpg[/img]

[size=20pt]THIS IS AFRRRRRRRRRRIKKKKKKA!!!! [/size]

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Oh Blazay, you are banned once again. Meanwhile, wassup with the super-man pants on your profile?
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Orikinla(m): 3:28pm On Dec 15, 2011
For the benefit of the many 'wives" and models of Orikinla in Lagos. grin
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by SuperT(m): 3:37pm On Dec 15, 2011
Everybody in the House is just talking about the law of the land, Africa, white law etc

What is the mind of God concerning Bigamy or Polygamy?
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by dastudent(m): 3:42pm On Dec 15, 2011
Exponental:

British law into African's blood stream, ODIESHI.
Congratulations to 2face!
Err !!!What law have we been practicing, with our judges wearing british garments and wigs. Our laws being just an amendment to British laws.Did we create the word "My lord?"
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by cheikh: 3:44pm On Dec 15, 2011
Ozin
The females on nairaland need to air their opinion o! Now u can settle in lagos and marry more than one husband o!

@^^ Gbam! grin grin grin Bigamy
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by JimmyBoy1: 3:45pm On Dec 15, 2011
The law was never in force before, so what is the point?
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Olalekan0(m): 3:45pm On Dec 15, 2011
I wonder why the Lagos state govt's always hitting the headlines for the wrong reasons!
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Olalekan0(m): 3:59pm On Dec 15, 2011
Tinubu,Fashola,Sasore,Ipaye et al need to quit making a mockery of the judiciary. Always arbitrarily repealing and ammending the laws of Lagos as though it supercedes already existing federal laws.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by omoredia: 4:36pm On Dec 15, 2011
now i can legally have that party i have always wanted! i love lagos lol
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by 10Billion(m): 4:51pm On Dec 15, 2011
odumchi:

Bigamy is a threat to modern law and civil order. In fact, that's one of the main reasons it wasn't implemented in the first place. First of all, with polygamy, diseases spread at a much faster rate. Second of all, strife usually results due to inheritance issues. Thirdly, how will a man with two wives be able to sign forms, take loans, and do other things when most institutions only recognize a family as: a man, his wife, and their children?

Then again, the issue of support for all of those children arises. If the man is well off, fine. If not, then how does he plan on training, feeding, clothing and educating all of the children he will beget? And also if a man is allowed to have two wives, why can't a woman have two husbands? In my opinion, Polygamy is one of the reasons why poverty is so high in certain places. It shouldn't be instituted in any state.

Polygamy was a thing for our ancestors. Back then, a man needed to have multiple wives in order to increase his chances of having a surviving child. Today, theres no use.
you took d words rit out of my mouth. When develop contries are looking for ways to minimised child birth, Lagos state (gradually all Nigerian) are creating ways to bring in many useless, uncareful for & futureless children.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by dayokanu(m): 5:09pm On Dec 15, 2011
Hmmm
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Sike(m): 5:30pm On Dec 15, 2011
Now i know where Lagos is heading.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by 2mch(m): 5:48pm On Dec 15, 2011
So Nigerian women can now have more than one husband shocked shocked shocked shocked. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy. Wahala dey o. Guys are in trouble. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by sylve11: 6:04pm On Dec 15, 2011
Does it mean an official married woman can get a male concubine also? shocked shocked shocked cool
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by eghost247(m): 6:15pm On Dec 15, 2011
lol
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by bigl: 6:28pm On Dec 15, 2011
Ha? At dis stage dis world has gotten to and we are talkin developin vacinnes, cure for aids, etc, we r busy encouragin more guys marryin more girls and. giving birth to more kiddos!

Eko o ni baje my foot! angry
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
cheikh:

@OP

There is a clear difference between BIGAMY and POLYGAMY.[b] I guess NLs are thinking both are one and the same thing. [/b]Please refer to your dictionaries again.

Exactly. LOL
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by eros(m): 6:49pm On Dec 15, 2011
Hmmmm!!! Bigamy ko, bigamy ni.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 15, 2011
Obsolete laws like the bigamy law needed to be kicked to the kerb.
Kudos to the Lagos state House of assembly.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by nku5: 8:32pm On Dec 15, 2011
Wtf? This is a passport to decadence. I don't think there is any legal system in the world except islamic law that permits marriage to more than one woman.we know lagos has always been the trailblazing state but this is a misplaced priority
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by ochukoccna: 8:55pm On Dec 15, 2011
Let not be hypocrites
Many of us came out from polygamous families or have loved ones who came out from such
We have evidence of bigamy all around us in 9ja
The outcry against Senator Yerima was because he married a minor not because of his multiple wives
Let's not cry wolf now when we have been shouting hurrah before
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by ochukoccna: 8:57pm On Dec 15, 2011
^^^^^
Not that I'm in support of bigamy.
Please thread take note.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by aribisala0(m): 9:03pm On Dec 15, 2011
Under Nigerian law you can marry according to
1.Islamic Law
2.Customary Law
3.The Marriage Act
The former two permit marriage to four or an infinite number of WIVES(NOT HUSBANDS) respectivley. While the latter recognizes marriage only between one man and one woman . It is only under the Marriage Act that bigamy is prohibited and carried/carries a custodial penalty.
Apart from removing the custodial penalty the status quo remains.
In ALL cases bigamy for women is prohibited
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by tlops(m): 9:17pm On Dec 15, 2011
In ALL cases bigamy for women is prohibited
says who! whats good for goose is good for the gander
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by nagoma(m): 9:20pm On Dec 15, 2011
Marwa had 2 wives throughout his term as the Governor of Lagos State.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by aribisala0(m): 9:21pm On Dec 15, 2011
what is the significance of that??
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by olabukola: 9:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
Bigamy: the crime of marrying while one has a wife or husband still living, from whom no valid divorce has been effected.

It means that women like men can now marry two or three husbands at a time. Why then did we ban gayism/leboyism marriage.

The world is really heading somewhere catastrophic.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Sagamite(m): 10:00pm On Dec 15, 2011
olabukola:

Bigamy: the crime of marrying while one has a wife or husband still living, from whom no valid divorce has been effected.

It means that women like men can now marry two or three husbands at a time. Why then did we ban gayism/leboyism marriage.

The world is really heading somewhere catastrophic.

Because they are unnaturally and disgusting.

This law shows Lagos is still more progressive in thinking than most Western countries.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by olabukola: 10:10pm On Dec 15, 2011
Sagamite:

Because they are unnaturally and disgusting.

This law shows Lagos is still more progressive in thinking than most Western countries.
You mean you are in support of woman marrying more that one husband at a time?
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Sagamite(m): 10:19pm On Dec 15, 2011
olabukola:

You mean you are in support of woman marrying more that one husband at a time?

Doesn't bother me the slightest bit.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by alexleo(m): 10:48pm On Dec 15, 2011
it still remains a sin before God.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fireworks Over IGP Adamu’s Tenure / Bolaji Akinyemi: How Jonathan Didn't Sign Confab Report / Nigerians In The Uk Cleared For Fuel Subsidy Protest On Friday 6th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.