Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,317 members, 7,839,520 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos (23049 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Okija Shrine: No Longer A Bee-hive Of Activities For Politicians (photos) / Securing A 2nd Term In Office Is No Longer A Birth Right – Obasanjo Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by aribisala0(m): 10:50pm On Dec 15, 2011
can you tell us when God said it was a sin
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Kay17: 11:23pm On Dec 15, 2011
Marrying could imply intent to contract a monogamous marriage. It would be unfair to a spouse, if the other goes round and violates the agreement. Besides, a woman is not presently barred from having more than a marriage.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Sagamite(m): 11:31pm On Dec 15, 2011
Kay 17:

Marrying could imply intent to contract a monogamous marriage. It would be unfair to a spouse, if the other goes round and violates the agreement. Besides, a woman is not presently barred from having more than a marriage.

Poof, how can you use 'could' and 'would' in the same deduction sentence?
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by aribisala0(m): 11:47pm On Dec 15, 2011
NOT THE SAME SENTENCE
IS IT AGAINST SHARIA LAW grin
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by isalegan2: 11:57pm On Dec 15, 2011
The home page title reads "Bigamy is legal now in Lagos: thoughts??

Isn't that terribly misleading and inflammatory?  Bigamy is not legal; only it is no longer a felony, and individuals are not pursued by the criminal justice system, but it is not "legal" outside of religious and customary traditions.

Why are some getting all worked up over this?  If it bothers you, do a registry wedding.  And you can still go after a "two-timing" spouse.  There is no law anywhere that will compel your husband or wife to love you and stick with you, if he/she doesn't.  Let's keep personal family issues out of politics, please.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Kay17: 12:44am On Dec 16, 2011
Sorry, i meant marrying under the marriage act. As it defines a marriage as btw one man, one woman.

Entering a marriage under these conditions, and then going against it, be unfair.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by aribisala0(m): 1:39am On Dec 16, 2011
isale_gan2:

Isn't that terribly misleading and inflammatory?  Bigamy is not legal; only it is no longer a felony, and individuals are not pursued by the criminal justice system, but it is not "legal" outside of religious and customary traditions.

Why are some getting all worked up over this?  If it bothers you, do a registry wedding.  And you can still go after a "two-timing" spouse.  There is no law anywhere that will compel your husband or wife to love you and stick with you, if he/she doesn't.  Let's keep personal family issues out of politics, please.
Bigamy has always been legal(and illegal)
It is legal in the cases of marriages under Native law and Sharia/Islamic law but Illegal in cases of individuals marrying under the marriage Act
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by aribisala0(m): 1:41am On Dec 16, 2011
isale_gan2:

Isn't that terribly misleading and inflammatory? Bigamy is not legal; only it is no longer a felony, and individuals are not pursued by the criminal justice system, but it is not "legal" outside of religious and customary traditions.

Why are some getting all worked up over this? If it bothers you, do a registry wedding. And you can still go after a "two-timing" spouse. There is no law anywhere that will compel your husband or wife to love you and stick with you, if he/she doesn't. Let's keep personal family issues out of politics, please.
Actually the "HOME PAGE TITLE" reads something else. grin

Bigamy has always been legal(and illegal)
It is legal in the cases of marriages under Native law and Sharia/Islamic law but Illegal in cases of individuals marrying under the marriage Act
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by tpia5: 2:03am On Dec 16, 2011
With the way nigerian men are carrying on these days i cant say i'm surprised.

Many of them really dare God, their wife and casual observers.

I blame emigration for this, mostly. Also, the total lack of a moral compass in so many nigerians.

But lets see how it goes sha.

Seriously, there is a problem with this generation. I assume things like these have been a problem before, or else there wouldnt be laws against it in the first place.

Fly dey follow dead bodi enter grave sha.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by nelly4(f): 7:29am On Dec 16, 2011
me i think all this is just in a bid to help the elite who find themselves in such a messy situation and are more prone to the legal consequencies cos the typical african as always and remainS the HEAD of his household void of any female efontry,
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by phreakabit(m): 7:40am On Dec 16, 2011
If this was actually "ILLEGAL" in the past as the LSG wants us to believe. Then,more than half the entire population of Yoruba men would be languishing in jail up until when this practice was legalized and allowed.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 16, 2011
I don’t seem to understand the ladies in d house at all,
What do u ladies have against a man (who can afford it of course) marrying more than one wife?
Well I guess its only the married ones that are taking this stance, its definitely a good news for our single ladies, cos chances of being “Mrs.” has increased. lol

Well madam, if oga decides to take a deputy madam, pls, don’t even lose sleep over it, cos there’s joy in sharing,…lol ! after all, taking a 2nd wife is far better than running after small girls on the street. Moreover, our culture, tradition permits it. So it’s a welcomed development. IMO
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by dagboss(m): 9:43am On Dec 16, 2011
@odumchi

Bigamy is a threat to modern law and civil order. In fact, that's one of the main reasons it wasn't implemented in the first place. First of all, with polygamy, diseases spread at a much faster rate. Second of all, strife usually results due to inheritance issues. Thirdly, how will a man with t[/b[b]]wo wives be able to sign forms, take loans, and do other things when most institutions only recognize a family as: a man, his wife, and their children?
[/b]

well since the law has or is about to be repealed, such organizations will design new forms to take care of that

Maybe this is a way of hitting back at America with their double standards. If it is human rights to allow a man to be f--[b][/b] ing another man then it is super human right to be allowed to have more that one wife. It is even not part of our culture. It was Xtianity that brought it to us, and who brought Xtianity to Africa? Oyinbo, Bature. In any case most Naija big men have other wives outside their wedlock though they do it secretly.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Nobody: 11:43am On Dec 16, 2011
Yoruba ppl, them too like Adultery, even with their juju called Magun they didnt slow down, now it is legal waoooo, Thank God Igbo women respect their husbands
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by owenueme: 3:52pm On Dec 16, 2011
It is not called bigamy. It is polygamy. Our laws allow for polygamy. It is only when it is against the law that it becomes bigamy. So go ahead, marry as many as possible. It is LEGAL in Naija.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by aribisala0(m): 3:59pm On Dec 16, 2011
it is NOT ONLY when it is agains the law that it is bigamy that is false. Hopefully you will update your software
Bigamy can be
the criminal offense in those countries where it is criminal

OR
the practise of marrying more than one spouse
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Kay17: 9:12am On Dec 17, 2011
Women are free to have more than a husband too.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Kay17: 9:13am On Dec 17, 2011
Women are free to have more than a husband too.
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by lastpage: 4:34am On Jan 09, 2012
If l am your "legal" wife and you marry an additional missus, I HAVE A CHOICE OF STAYING OR MOVING ON! tongue tongue

Kini "Big Deal" in that?

!
If l am your legal Husband and you too exercise your right to marry an additional husband, I HAVE THE CHOICE OF KEEPING YOU OR DROPPING YOU! kiss kiss

Again, Kini "Big Deal"?

Its no different from the SERIAL MONOGAMY PRACTICED in the hypocritical WESTERN COUNTRIES now? Drop one marry another )or do a bit more behind his/her knowledge) and you go through five wives/husband in a life time
"CONCURRENCY" does not make it any different!

Its all about "having and exercising choices" concerning who we want to love at any point in time.

Abeg, face front joor! angry

Lastpage
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by Sagamite(m): 4:46pm On Jan 12, 2012
lastpage:

If l am your "legal" wife and you marry an additional missus, I HAVE A CHOICE OF STAYING OR MOVING ON! tongue tongue

Kini "Big Deal" in that?

!
If l am your legal Husband and you too exercise your right to marry an additional husband, I HAVE THE CHOICE OF KEEPING YOU OR DROPPING YOU! kiss kiss

Again, Kini "Big Deal"?

Its no different from the SERIAL MONOGAMY PRACTICED in the hypocritical WESTERN COUNTRIES now? Drop one marry another )or do a bit more behind his/her knowledge) and you go through five wives/husband in a life time
"CONCURRENCY" does not make it any different!

Its all about "having and exercising choices" concerning who we want to love at any point in time.

Abeg, face front joor! angry

Lastpage

I wonder o!
Re: Bigamy No Longer A Crime In Lagos by perryy(m): 4:15pm On May 03, 2018
alexleo:
it still remains a sin before God.

It is never a sin before god. All men of God were all polygamist and God never finished anyone for being polygamous.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Budget Distortion: Fear Grips NASS Members / Stella Oduah Dumps APGA, Returns To PDP 3 Months After Dumping PDP For APGA / Tinubu’s Ministerial List: Ohakim Denies Revolting Against Uzodinma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.