Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports (4505 Views)

Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! / Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? / The Lagos –kano Rail Modernisation Project – Where To From Here….? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by gidiMonsta(m): 11:14am On Dec 16, 2011

The Federal Government has said that it is targeting complete upgrade and modernization of major airports in the country by 2013 in keeping with its transformation agenda in the aviation industry.

This was disclosed by the Minister of Aviation, Mrs. Stella Oduah, who presided over the movement of domestic carriers to the international terminal of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja last week in order to revamp the old terminal, which has decayed over the years.

She said that government has started the modernization project on the four major airports in the country located in Abuja, Lagos, Kano and Port Harcourt and the work was moving at a fast pace.

Work has been going on at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos which involves the expansion of the terminal, upgrade of facilities and total overhaul of the carousel (conveyor belt) for easy and uninterrupted movement of luggage and cargo.

The Senate President, David Mark who flagged off the domestic flight operations at the international terminal of the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport, Abuja, commended the efforts of the Federal Government, remarking that airports are a window to any nation because airports are first port of call of foreigners and it is from such facility that the image of a country is gleaned.

He lamented that airports across the country before now was not befitting to Nigeria as a nation, stressing that the impression of any visitor on arrival at any of the nation’s airports was the determining factor of for the country. “Airport is what you use in judging any nation because the very first impression starts at the airport. But we have lacked standard facilities until now”. Mark declared.

He urged everybody to take seriously, the transformation agenda of the present administration by keying into it and warned that the upgrade effort would come to nothing if the facilities at their airports were not maintained after modernizing them. He decried the poor maintenance culture among Nigerians and advised that the facilities must be kept clean at all times and to be used accordingly when completed.

The Aviation Minister also announced that on going work at the Kano and Kaduna airports would be commissioned by January 2012, while Lagos would be commissioned in February.

According to her, it was the plan of the government to ensure that air travel remained the cheapest, safest and fastest means of transportation and with the attendant comfort in the country.

Also the Managing Director of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), George Uriesi, said that the transformation has started taking place in form of remodeling of the terminal buildings in 11 airports across the country with that of some key airports like, Lagos, Kano, Abuja, Kaduna, and Port Harcourt.

According to Uriesi, the re-modeling project was designed to expand the existing infrastructure in the terminals of the airports especially passenger areas.

The FAAN boss named airports where work have commenced to include, Lagos, Abuja, Kano and Kaduna while work will begin soon at the remaining seven airports. He said work at the general aviation terminal (GAT) and international terminal of the Lagos airport would be completed by mid-2012.

Uriesi emphasized that passengers deserved better services at all airports terminals and that when completed, the domestic wings of Abuja and Lagos airports would serve as a reference point for domestic terminals across the country.
He noted that with the transformation programme of President Goodluck Jonathan, aviation stakeholders owe him a lot of gratitude for his effort which would transform the country’s aviation sector.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-targets-2013-for-complete-modernisation-of-airports/105164/

I just hope they get this right before that MM dump embarrasses us any further.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by igbo2011(m): 3:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
The vast majority of nigerian don't use the airports. Why don't they modernize the roads and sewage systems? They should modernize something that everyone can benefit from.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by otokx(m): 3:47pm On Dec 16, 2011
Do we really have airports or airstrips?
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by Kx: 3:48pm On Dec 16, 2011
Just like they targeted food for all by the year 2000.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by beafroast: 3:50pm On Dec 16, 2011
fg=foolish goons!
which target them set for the complete modernization of our roads
lubbish sets of foolish goons!
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by PROUDIGBO(m): 4:30pm On Dec 16, 2011
Work has been going on at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos which involves the expansion of the terminal, upgrade of facilities and total overhaul of the carousel (conveyor belt) for easy and uninterrupted movement of luggage and cargo.

^^^Hehehe grin I'm sorry for the poor construction worker that will hammer the first nail into the wall of that old Terminal as 'the patch work' commences: the whole structure is so old and creaking at the seams from neglect over the years that just one hit from his hammer could see the whole antiquated structure come crashing down into a pile of rubble, leaving the poor dude covered in dust, gasping for air and wondering what the hell just happened.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by kizito96(m): 5:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
Fani kayode made such big noise in the past. these are noise to approve money to share
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by Mayflowa(m): 5:08pm On Dec 16, 2011
This is really a good development. I pray this gesture to be extended to the roads and houses!
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by GAR3TH(m): 5:25pm On Dec 16, 2011
edit
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by Akintola11(m): 5:54pm On Dec 16, 2011
This airport issues has been dragging on for a very long time. it seems to be the easiest way of funneling money from the governement,

more focus should be given to the PIB, that is my main and only issue!!: www.thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/petroleum-industries-bill-slick-politics.com
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by stagger: 5:55pm On Dec 16, 2011
Our airports are unbelievable eyesores! Phuaaaah!
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by Naledi14(f): 6:59pm On Dec 16, 2011
What caught my eye while reading this was the ' Aviation Minister' part like really?!! Nigeria has an entire ministry dedicated to aviation? What a waste of money, why not minister of transport ?

1 Like

Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by kulutempa: 7:51pm On Dec 16, 2011
This is the sort of upside down thinking that is the hallmark of our leaders.   They like to spend billions on prestige buildings and projects that are of little benefit to the common man.  That is why you will see a palatial government building in Nigeria with an untarred pot holed road, flowing with rotten stinking sewage in front of it

1 Like

Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by amaham(m): 8:00pm On Dec 16, 2011
2013 is just 12mths from now and that is the completion time, even a retard knows is very unfeasible
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 16, 2011
if you guys dont revolt, your future is uncertain. issues like this in a sane world should cause a revolt.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by realchange: 8:26pm On Dec 16, 2011
in one of the faan airport usage data i saw, enugu and benin airports handle more passenger traffic than kano
how come both are not getting the modernization ahead of kano
everything in nigeria is spooky
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by abbeylomo(m): 9:01pm On Dec 16, 2011
We see if it will get head. FG with their funny and useless promise
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by werepeLeri: 12:14am On Dec 17, 2011
When will people ever make sense on NairaLand?

Someone is saying, because the vast majority doesnt use the airports, then they should be neglected. How do people think? And these are people who will shout neglect when a slight air mishap pops around in any of the airports. Silly twerts.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by realchange: 12:22am On Dec 17, 2011
werepeLeri:

When will people ever make sense on NairaLand?

[b]Someone is saying, because the vast majority doesnt use the airports, then they should be neglected. [/b]How do people think? And these are people who will shout neglect when a slight air mishap pops around in any of the airports. Silly twerts.

no, i am saying that if

1000 people use X airport,
and
100 people use Y airport,

an accident in either would likely kill more people in X than in Y.
government should think about that, instead of cheap politics that neglect nigerians simply because they are from the wrong political region in nigeria

you are the one not using your head.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by werepeLeri: 12:23am On Dec 17, 2011
Abeg keep mute and think before you type, and I dont think I was referring to your post anyway.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by realchange: 12:24am On Dec 17, 2011
no, i am saying that if

1000 people use X airport,
and
100 people use Y airport,

an accident in either would likely kill more people in X than in Y.
government should think about that, instead of cheap politics that neglect nigerians simply because they are from the wrong political region in nigeria

you are the one not using your head.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by igboboy1(m): 12:28am On Dec 17, 2011
[size=16pt]How about Enugu International Airport?, [/size]
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by Rossikk(m): 2:43am On Dec 17, 2011
Can these ignorant goats criticising the govt for improving the state of our airports just pack their miserable, braindead selves off to some zoo where they belong.

Morons!!!!
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by adino(m): 4:15am On Dec 17, 2011
@Rossikk
Can these ignorant goats criticising the govt for improving the state of our airports just pack their miserable, braindead selves off to some zoo where they belong.

Morons!!!!

No they will not stop criticising govt becos they are what they are[b] "MORONS"[/b]. Sometimes I wish internet should be censored based on some intellectual test. Oh no wonder[b] Nairaland is just Naija'a famous INTERNET BEER PARLOUR.[/b]
I laugh in Nairaland. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@Rossikk and @werepeLeriith
Please do not bother urselves with some threads just allow FOOLS to thrive in their FOOLS PARADISE.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by iykak47: 6:46am On Dec 17, 2011
Rossikk:

Morons!!!!
Because some people believe they must criticize even when its not necessary.
Federal government should be encouraged to upgrade those airports.
Murtala Muhammed airport does not befit Nigeria status, I always have combination of anger and shame
whenever i land at that airport if i compare it to other countries airports.
A friend of mine said her city's train station is better than an international airport she saw when she visited Nigeria, as a patriotic Naija guy i disagreed with her but i knew she was correct.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by otokx(m): 9:56am On Dec 17, 2011
^^^ we are so content with mediocrity; look at people jumping at the ikeja city mall. When i posted pictures of the mall in Casablanca, Morocco which opened 2 weeks back they started making excuses.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by Gague: 1:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
Its a necessary development.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by Rossikk(m): 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2011
otokx said

^^^ we are so content with mediocrity; look at people jumping at the ikeja city mall. When i posted pictures of the mall in Casablanca, Morocco which opened 2 weeks back they started making excuses.

There are several malls under construction in places like Abuja, Lagos and Port Harcourt which will be bigger and better than Ikeja Mall. Just because someone posted Ikeja mall's recent commissioning doesn't mean that's all we have or plan to offer. Relax.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by otokx(m): 8:50am On Dec 18, 2011
there is no mall in the entire Nigeria constructed or nearing construction that will be half as good as the one in Casablanca, Morrocco. It is like trying to compare any of our airports with the Gatwick airport; lets not use heathrow or Charles de Gaule.
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by kokoA(m): 9:34am On Dec 18, 2011
Abuja airport is like a motor park embarassed embarassed
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by deor03(m): 5:23pm On Dec 18, 2011
The only airport in Nigeria that looks a bit organized is MM2, others are just human transit warehouses
Re: Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports by werepeLeri: 10:06am On Dec 20, 2011
kokoA:

Abuja airport is like a motor park embarassed embarassed

and when government attempts to do something on it, you call it misplaced priority.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari’s Certificate: Attacks Backfire On Jonathan / Heartbreaking Photos: People Stood By While This Man Was Stabbed To Death In SA / Biafra: “let Biafrans Go With Their Oil, We Will Find Other Means Of Survival” -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.