Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,088 members, 7,842,127 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? (18710 Views)

Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR / If You Were To Live In One City Of The World For The Rest Of Your Life... ??? / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Sike(m): 6:46am On Dec 19, 2011
Too late!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Hardeyoye: 6:50am On Dec 19, 2011
Ondo state has to towns like: aside from Akure, we have Ondo, Owo, Ikare, Ore
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 6:57am On Dec 19, 2011
dayokanu:

FCMB, Access, FinBank, Intercontinental and many banks are in that Ojoo area,

Ojoo is a market area and you claim all these banks are none existent there? How dishonest can you be?

When was the last time you went to Ibadan and how many new generation banks were in Ibadan the last time you went there?

DK,

I knew you were exaggerating/lying about some of the banks in Ojoo

There is no Access Bank in Ojoo

http://www.accessbankplc.com/Pages/ATMLocator.aspx?value=Oyo&ln=Gy7UlI4cSJE94Wa2qudbFQ%3d%3d

There is no Finbank in Ojoo

http://www.finbank.com.ng/SearchContact/searchcontact.asp?TY=&cat=2&catName=Branch&sear=Oyo&psearch=Oyo&Submit2=Search+

There is no Intercontinental Bank in Ojoo

http://www.intercontinentalbankplc.com/portal/general/branches.php?select01=31&brfeature=Branches&clickedBySearchBtn=T&MM_insert=frmSearch

There is even no First Bank (the most common bank in Nigeria) there, but they are now in U.I (some 2 or more KMs away)

They only have FCMB which was not there when I was there,  Even though I left Ibadan before 2005, I know development has been terribly slow since then. ''Many other banks'' ko, ''many other banks ni''. Stop lying to make a point.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 5:06pm On Dec 19, 2011
Nchara:

DK,

I knew you were exaggerating/lying about some of the banks in Ojoo

There is no Access Bank in Ojoo

http://www.accessbankplc.com/Pages/ATMLocator.aspx?value=Oyo&ln=Gy7UlI4cSJE94Wa2qudbFQ%3d%3d

There is no Finbank in Ojoo

http://www.finbank.com.ng/SearchContact/searchcontact.asp?TY=&cat=2&catName=Branch&sear=Oyo&psearch=Oyo&Submit2=Search+

There is no Intercontinental Bank in Ojoo

http://www.intercontinentalbankplc.com/portal/general/branches.php?select01=31&brfeature=Branches&clickedBySearchBtn=T&MM_insert=frmSearch

There is even no First Bank (the most common bank in Nigeria) there, but they are now in U.I (some 2 or more KMs away)

They only have FCMB which was not there when I was there, Even though I left Ibadan before 2005, I know development has been terribly slow since then. ''Many other banks'' ko, ''many other banks ni''. Stop lying to make a point.

Your link shows 3 access bank ATM in Ibadan,

Are you saying there are just 3 access Banks in a city as big as Ibadan?

First you said there is no Bank in Ojoo and you have to go to Dugbe to get a bank now you are acknowledging at least 3 banks there?

What other lies do you want to correct

maybe the poster who said you made this thread with an ulterior motive has a point afterall
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 5:21pm On Dec 19, 2011
dayokanu:

Your link shows 3 access bank ATM in Ibadan,

Are you saying there are just 3 access Banks in a city as big as Ibadan?

First you said there is no Bank in Ojoo and you have to go to Dugbe to get a bank now you are acknowledging at least 3 banks there?

What other lies do you want to correct

maybe the poster who said you made this thread with an ulterior motive has a point afterall

It is not my link. It is the ACCESS BANK official website and a bank should know how many branches they have in any city. There are no 3 banks in Ojoo. Only FCMB (which I found out after your post) and that came after I left Ibadan. I know Ojoo like I know my name. OKayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
I repeat, yes there was no banks in OJOO when I was there but now FCMB is there (which is a good news). I dare you to proove me wrong that there was any bank in Ojoo before FCMB came (whatever year they did after I left Ibadan)

So from where did you get your false claims about Access Bank, Finland and Intercontinental bank being in Ojoo? Bloody liar, you did not even know that U.I = Agbowo?

YOU, as usual, are a blantant liar and a concocter of stories. Now that you have been outted you wanna slip out. Damn! Ogbomosho bush boy trying all means to make Ogbomosho a citygrin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.
I am sure you were just passing by Ibadan. You know nothing about that place.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 5:29pm On Dec 19, 2011
Whatever rocks your boat
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 5:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
dayokanu:

Whatever rocks your both

On top of that you can't even write well? Is it both or boat? lwkmd.

I guess I have mesmerized you. Sorry ain't ma fault.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by emmatok(m): 8:48pm On Dec 19, 2011
Nchara:

On top of that you can't even write well? Is it both or boat? lwkmd.

I guess I have mesmerized you. Sorry ain't ma fault.

LOL,

You just confirmed, you don't know the meaning of "Whatever rocks your boat". grin grin grin grin

Just carry your tribalism else where. ok undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 9:30pm On Dec 19, 2011
emmatok:

LOL,

You just confirmed,  you don't know the meaning of "Whatever rocks your boat". grin grin grin grin

Just carry your tribalism else where. ok undecided undecided undecided

You illiterate. The person I quoted (quoted before he changed it) corrected his mistake after I showed it to him. YOU ARE A TABULA RASA.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 19, 2011
Umuahia be city eeh? Ok, ohafia be city too. Umyahia is just a capital and best described as town. Not one fuctional industry except Saclux paints.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by emmatok(m): 9:48pm On Dec 19, 2011
Nchara:

You illiterate. The person I quoted (quoted before he changed it) corrected his mistake after I showed it to him. YOU ARE A TABULA RASA.

LWKMD,

Everyone can see that you are the illiterate here, why quote someone's error in the first place.

At least you can edit your post. MUMU.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 11:16pm On Dec 19, 2011
emmatok:

LWKMD,

Everyone can see that you are the illiterate here, why quote someone's error in the first place.

At least you can edit your post. MUMU.

What an ignoramus. I quoted it so others will see his mistake (which he made because I mesmerized him) before he corrects it unnoticed. Duh!!!!!!!! Olodo.
Now I know why there is so much failures in exams in Nigeria.
Buzz off. Your mates are not here.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by emmatok(m): 12:29am On Dec 20, 2011
Nchara:

What an ignoramus. [b]I quoted it so others will see his mistake (which he made because I mesmerized him) [/b]before he corrects it unnoticed. Duh!!!!!!!! Olodo.
Now I know why there is so much failures in exams in Nigeria.
Buzz off. Your mates are not here.

MUMU,

Young man.

Who comes to Nairaland to see other people mistakes.

You think peeps gives a shite about what you do here.

It shows you are so naive.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 12:44am On Dec 20, 2011
^^^^^^

I though you claimed he was correct and I was wrong? Instead of all these incomprehensible 10 10 kobo gibberish you are spewing, why don't we talk about how not only deeply illiterate you are, but also your crass inability to understand? Ewu mpamah.

NB: Do not bother to respond because I am done with you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by bidex(m): 10:00am On Dec 20, 2011
i think the operator of this topic did not travel at all. i think he's picking word of mouth to make his/her judgement over all these cities saga,

you talk of cities, howmany cities in the US and UK have universities in them? ogbomosho, oyo, osogbo, ijebu ode, ondo, owo, akure, ekpoma, idah, and many more have universities in there and there has been serious commercial activities going on there.

how many cities in the US and UK have up to the level of population of these towns u wrote off that they are not cities?

markets are available there, hospitals, and am even impressed with the road network at ogbomosho, industries are there too, along ogbomoso igbeti rd there r two industries there also, eket in akwa ibom, and u said its not a city?
i think you need travel and see for your self.

did u see the result of last election in oyo state? ogbomosho's population was amasing, that of kogi state of recent too surprised me, lokoja, okene and idah too

and you said its one city based state?

please do your research well before you conclude or make a post over it
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by KnowAll(m): 10:19am On Dec 20, 2011

Stop talking bullshit, I went UI and graduated in 1991, there have always been a First Bank In UI from time memorial, it has always being part and parcel of the different institutions within the campus.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Abagworo(m): 11:20am On Dec 20, 2011
bidex:

i think the operator of this topic did not travel at all. i think he's picking word of mouth to make his/her judgement over all these cities saga,

you talk of cities, howmany cities in the US and UK have universities in them? ogbomosho, oyo, osogbo, ijebu ode, ondo, owo, akure, ekpoma, idah, and many more have universities in there and there has been serious commercial activities going on there.

how many cities in the US and UK have up to the level of population of these towns u wrote off that they are not cities?

markets are available there, hospitals, and am even impressed with the road network at ogbomosho, industries are there too, along ogbomoso igbeti rd there r two industries there also, eket in akwa ibom, and u said its not a city?
i think you need travel and see for your self.

did u see the result of last election in oyo state? ogbomosho's population was amasing, that of kogi state of recent too surprised me, lokoja, okene and idah too

and you said its one city based state?

please do your research well before you conclude or make a post over it

If you call every populated place with banks,schools and industries a city, then there are more than 1000 cities in Nigeria. Rivers State has obigbo,Onne, Eleme, Omoku, Bonny, Bori and Okrika in addition to Port Harcourt. Imo State has Orlu,Anara, Oguta, Okigwe, Amaigbo, Mbaise, Nwaorieubi, Umuaka and countless cities. Delta has Asaba, Warri, Ibuzor, Agbor, Sapele, Effurun, Ughelli and countless more.

Nigeria generally has only 2 cities Lagos and Abuja with Port Harcourt coming far behind as a possible 3rd. The rest are clusters and over-populated urban areas. No high rises, no wide highways, rusty roofs and what have you. Very disgusting. Owerri, Calabar, Uyo, Enugu and Kaduna are tolerable based on being more organized than the rest.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Afam4eva(m): 11:33am On Dec 20, 2011
Abagworo:

Nigeria generally has only 2 cities Lagos and Abuja with Port Harcourt coming far behind as a possible 3rd. The rest are clusters and over-populated urban areas. No high rises, no wide highways, rusty roofs and what have you. Very disgusting. Owerri, Calabar, Uyo, Enugu and Kaduna are tolerable based on being more organized than the rest.

I don't quite agree with you on the bolded. What makes Abuja, lagos and PH cities and not Ibadan, Enugu, Aba and Warri? According to wiokipedia there's no explicit definition of a city. I think we should look at things from the Nigerian angle. Every state capital in Nigeria, no matter how mediocre is automatically a city. Every commercial center eg lagos, Aba, Onitsha are also cities. Every cultural town with a sizeable population and some social amenities can also be considered a city eg Benin, Kano, Ibadan.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by KnowAll(m): 11:44am On Dec 20, 2011
If you call every populated place with banks,schools and industries a city, then there are more than 1000 cities in Nigeria. Rivers State has obigbo,Onne, Eleme, Omoku, Bonny, Bori and Okrika in addition to Port Harcourt. Imo State has Orlu,Anara, Oguta, Okigwe, Amaigbo, Mbaise, Nwaorieubi, Umuaka and countless cities. Delta has Asaba, Warri, Ibuzor, Agbor, Sapele, Effurun, Ughelli and countless more.

Another person talking shiiiit, what stops Nigeria from having 1000 Cities, is it because she is an underperforming and under-developed society; it does not matter whether you have 1000 SkysCRAPERS in the city centre of a city or 1 million straw huts in the city centre.

If a city in Africa chooses to make a straw hut a bank, post office, or community hall, that exercise does not devalue the intrinsic value of the Bank, Post Office or Community Hall Whether the city is Chicago in Illinois or Idah, in Kogi State
undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by aribisala0(m): 11:47am On Dec 20, 2011
the word "CITY" has been in existence for a long time before electricity,the motor car,highways or high rise buildings or BANKS and while it may mean different things to different people. a city is firstly a town. So a city would always be defined as

A Town that : ,.,.,.,.  etc

and you add whatever further qualification  to complete the definition.
Many people would call a town with a "large" population a city . In some cases like Lagos state where there is much contiguity one may speak of a Megacity.
From the historical sense,considering how old the word is (at least 800 years old) it has little to do with modern amenities or industrialization and more to do with geographical/population size
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by emmatok(m): 12:40pm On Dec 20, 2011
Nchara:

^^^^^^

I though you claimed he was correct and I was wrong? Instead of all these incomprehensible 10 10 kobo gibberish you are spewing, why don't we talk about how not only deeply illiterate you are, but also your crass inability to understand? Ewu mpamah.

Nchara:

^^^^^^

And who said you are right , you quoted someone's post to ridicule him , yet you failed to correct your post.

Continue living your delusions.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 6:10pm On Dec 20, 2011
KnowAll:

Stop talking bullshit, I went UI and graduated in 1991, there have always been a First Bank In UI from time memorial, it has always being part and parcel of the different institutions within the campus.

From the foregoing, you could see we were talking of Ojoo.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 6:29pm On Dec 20, 2011
Nchara:

[size=18pt]If you live in Ojoo which is part of the Ibadan city metropolis, you will have to drive to Dugbe axis to get to a bank[/size], no? Same for those living in areas around Akobo etc. How convenient is that? As far as I know in Enugu metropolis there is no place you will drive 5 miles before you see a shop, etc. Not sure what you are driving at here.

How true is the statement in bold? You yourself now acknowledge that you know a First bank and Afribank in UI yet still made the statement in bold

When between Ojoo and Dugbe you would pass through UI and Bodija

Keep wallowing in your ignorance
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 6:53pm On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

How true is the statement in bold? You yourself now acknowledge that you know a First bank and Afribank in UI yet still made the statement in bold

When between Ojoo and Dugbe you would pass through UI and Bodija

Keep wallowing in your ignorance

If you are going to Dugbe from Ojoo what would you be looking for in Bodija? You don't even know your place. Shame

Ojoo-Orogun-UI (Agbowo)-Sango-Mokola-Dugbe. That is the straight route, dude.

You only go via Bodija and then to Gate before Dugbe if that straight route is blocked (before Sango) for any reason which I did not experience in all my time there. That could take another one hour or likely more.

Yes, those banks on campus are mostly for campus use. Once I went to Afribank U.I. to cash a check and I STAYED 3 hours due to crowd) . Most people I know and myself (coming from the Ojoo general area) use banks in Dugbe or Bodija, depending on the particular bank and where located.

Your claim that Access, Finbank and Intercontinental banks are in Ojoo is completely false. You better apologise before I ============== grin grin grin grin grin

BTW, my memory of the distance may have waned since I left, but actually Ojoo to U.I could be as far as 3 to 4 KM (only the very poor would trek that distance). So it is still very inconvenient for a place as commercially bubbly as Ojoo not to have had its own banks up until when FCMB was sited there. Even now one bank is grossly inadequate. It means all those 100s of 1000s of people living all the way from IITA area to Sasha and Ojoo would have to go beyond Ojoo up to U.I, bodija (veering off the route) and Dugbe, depending on which bank they use. That is inconvenient, no?
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 7:12pm On Dec 20, 2011
afam4eva:

I don't quite agree with you on the bolded. What makes Abuja, lagos and PH cities and not Ibadan, Enugu, Aba and Warri? According to wiokipedia there's no explicit definition of a city. I think we should look at things from the Nigerian angle. Every state capital in Nigeria, no matter how mediocre is automatically a city. Every commercial center eg lagos, Aba, Onitsha are also cities. Every cultural town with a sizeable population and some social amenities can also be considered a city eg Benin, Kano, Ibadan.

That has always been my position. The problem is arriving at what ''sizable population'' implies. Thus, I maintain that population is not the all-determining factor for a place to assume a city status. Here in the USA, there are cities of 30K people and there are cities of 2 mil and more people. All na city. There are sleepy rural areas in China and Indian with pops as high as one ml, yet they are not cities

Most Nigerian towns will be sizably populated but not all can be called cities, IMO. I do not see how anyone will truly refer to Afikpo, Okigwe, Ekpoma, Ogbomosho (yes, I want Dayokanu from Ogbomosho to commit suicidewink wink wink), Okenne, Ijebu Ode, Sagamu, and all such places as cities. In contrast, a place like Ibadan and Lagos deserve to be divided into two cities or be referred to as conurbations (merged cities).
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by KnowAll(m): 7:54pm On Dec 20, 2011
@Nchara

what u don't know is Ogbomosho was the 4th largest city or town in 1963, go and check the population census, if it was a city then, I do not see why it would not be a city in 2011. Having said that do u know that the over 1 million Yorubas deported from Ghana in 1968, 98% of them were from Ogbomosho.

Go and do your research b4 yearning dust
!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 7:57pm On Dec 20, 2011
KnowAll:

@Nchara

what u don't know is Ogbomosho was the 4th largest city or town in 1963, go and check the population census, if it was a city then, I do not see why it would not be a city in 2011. Having said that do u know that the over 1 million Yorubas deported from Ghana  in 1968, 98% of them were from Ogbomosho.

Go and do your research b4 yearning dust
!!!

Just population does not make a city. Stop your ignorance. Where the hell is ogbomosho again grin grin grin grin grin? Sleepy bush town with no single industry and 1000s of mud houses. Soon, like Dayokanu, you will say Ogbomosho has LAUTECH so it is a city. For which I will reply ''Otta also has a university if not two; it is then a city abi? Nsukka (with UNN) is also a city''. Go siddon, ma friend. E be like say you be Ogbomosho man too cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by realchange: 12:27am On Dec 21, 2011
introducing ogbomosho to the world. i don die.

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by ak47mann(m): 12:34am On Dec 21, 2011
^^^

ohhh lord!! is this ogbomosho angry angry
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by bidex(m): 8:36am On Mar 29, 2012
realchange: introducing ogbomosho to the world. i don die.

i dont think so, that picture looks edited and looks somewhere around third mainland inception....
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Yeske2(m): 2:18pm On Mar 29, 2012
O'l boy yé!
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Yeske2(m): 2:23pm On Mar 29, 2012

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Jonathan Makes 5 Appointments In Education Ministry / Buhari Meets Emefiele, Adeosun & Udoma Udoma (Photos) / Okorocha Joins 2023 Presidential Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.