Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,097 members, 7,852,705 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 01:44 AM

Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? (18717 Views)

Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR / If You Were To Live In One City Of The World For The Rest Of Your Life... ??? / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by asha80(m): 9:34pm On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

If we are to use infrastructures then many countries dont deserve to be a State in the US

Why would infrastructures be a criteria when we are discussing a continent like Africa.

The singular most important thing(about 80%) when Categorizing cities is the POPULATION.

Timbuktu was undoubtedly a city in the 1800 even though it didnt have Skyscrapers

hehe i wonder if then mbaise can be classified as a city.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by aljharem3: 9:37pm On Dec 18, 2011
asha 80:

you are comparing mbaise of 300,000 to abeokuta to 1 million + ?
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by asha80(m): 9:39pm On Dec 18, 2011
alj_harem:

you are comparing mbaise of 300,000 to abeokuta to 1 million + ?

who told you that mbaise is around 300000?have you been there before?abeokuta 1million?haha
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by emmatok(m): 9:40pm On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

If we are to use infrastructures then many countries dont deserve to be a State in the US

Why would infrastructures be a criteria when we are discussing a continent like Africa.

The singular most important thing(about 80%) when Categorizing cities is the POPULATION.

Timbuktu was undoubtedly a city in the 1800 even though it didnt have Skyscrapers

Correct
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 9:44pm On Dec 18, 2011
asha 80:

There is no definition of a CITY which doesnt prioritize Population.

Population is the single most important factor when categorizing a city
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by aljharem3: 9:45pm On Dec 18, 2011
asha 80:

who told you that mbaise is around 300000?have you been there before?abeokuta 1million?haha

I don't need to go to mbaise. Mbaise is like a clan and moreover Imo state cannot house more than 300,000 mbaise people given that we have other clans in Imo.

Abeokute city could be considered to half of imo. isn't it
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by edogirl2: 9:55pm On Dec 18, 2011
@abagworo, never been to abeokuta or oklahoma, but your pictures tell me nothing about the city-status credentials of either city. the presence or lack of shiny tall buildings do not seal a location's status as a city.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by asha80(m): 9:56pm On Dec 18, 2011
alj_harem:

I don't need to go to mbaise. Mbaise is like a clan and moreover Imo state cannot house more than 300,000 mbaise people given that we have other clans in Imo.

Abeokute city could be considered to half of imo.
isn't it

ignorance is bliss.i do not need to engage you any further.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by GAR3TH(m): 10:01pm On Dec 18, 2011
Nchara:

I would like that you explain how Kano, Kaduna, Benin PH and Ibadan would be cities and Enugu not.

There is no real definition to what a city is, for example the smallest city in NY State is Sherrill with a population of 3,000 people while at the same time the largest town in New York state is The town of Hempstead with a population of 760,000. Like I said before cities and towns are defined by administrations like the case in NY or by people's common knowledge and perception.

According to the state of NY sherrill is a city but according to me and others sherill will be consider a town through our perception of what a town should be. So yes, Nigeria and it states may consider Enugu a city but many people will consider Enugu a large town. It doesn't look, act, feel or have the same flow as what we expect from a city. Compared to Kano, Kaduna, Benin, PH, Ibadan and Lagos, Enugu and even abuja would be considered suburban sprawls.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by GAR3TH(m): 10:03pm On Dec 18, 2011
double post
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by edogirl2: 10:07pm On Dec 18, 2011
also, i dont believe one can rely solely on western standards to qualify city status in the nigerian context. the criteria used must have a local content taking account of where we are in the development space. on that basis, i'll be confortable to classify the following as nigerian cities - lagos, ibadan, benin, and abuja. the following, which i haven't been to, but read about, should also qualify - enugu, kano, kaduna, port harcourt, and some others too.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 18, 2011
Nchara:

You are right in many places but no one is comparing cities here. We are saying that our states have mostly [/b]one city in them. Is this wrong or right?

The uniqueness of Ibadan (capital city, population and SIGNIFICANT commerce/industry all rolled in one) [b]is exactly the same reason why I would not consider ogbomosho
a city. Only few cities such as PH, Kano, Kaduna, Benin to mention a few will compare to Ibadan in that uniqueness described above.  

The downside to that is that those states are saddled with one-city state structures.

Abia, Anambra, Delta and a few others are unique in their own way in that they have the admin cities separated from the business/industrial cities
Culture does not make a city, I believe. Every group has their own culture and no culture is superior to the other.

If cities are by comparison to others, then the only cities in Nigeria are those in Lagos then Abuja. Cities are cities no matter infrastructural decay it faces.

I think you are confusing modernization with urban settling. All the places in Western Nigeria are urban settlements not rural and Majority of those in NW, NC, NE are also urban settlements, Majority of places in SE are urban settlements too,

What you want to debate is mechanical modernization not settlement (city, town, villages etc.). Kwara state has more than 5 cities on it's own (Oro, Omu Aran, Offa, Ilorin, Lafiagi, Jebba etc, ). Lagos has all her settlements as cities save for some parts of Badagry which are towns,

I think Nchara wants to debate modernization not city/town settlement!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by emmastalwart(m): 10:11pm On Dec 18, 2011
Oh, "MBAISE" the land of promise and achievement, the land of hope and fulfiedment, Land filled with great men and women, young & old. Land of procreation and betterment full of beautifull creatures, , Live long Mbaise, Live long Imo state, Live long Federal Republic of Nigeria. Comr. Enyinnaya Emmanuel C (A.K.A) Emmastalwart
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by asha80(m): 10:14pm On Dec 18, 2011
emmastalwart,:

Oh, "MBAISE" the land of promise and achievement, the land of hope and fulfiedment, Land filled with great men and women, young & old. Land of procreation and betterment full of beautifull creatures, , Live long Mbaise, Live long Imo state, Live long Federal Republic of Nigeria. Comr. Enyinnaya Emmanuel C (A.K.A) Emmastalwart

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by ektbear: 10:15pm On Dec 18, 2011
Haha I know a whole rack of Mbaise indigenes in RL. I'm guessing that it is a very populous or prominent part of Imo.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Abagworo(m): 10:17pm On Dec 18, 2011
If the skyscrapers and wide high ways  are excluded, then Imo State has several cities like Owerri, Oguta, Akabo, Akokwa, Orlu, Okigwe, Mbaise, Anara-Amaraku etc. Anambra has Onitsha, Nkpor, Obosi, Ihiala, Nnewi, Atani, Uga, Umunze, Ekwulobia.etc All these places have more than 100,000 inhabitants.Most of the villages in Anambra and Imo are extremely populated and joined together, hence they have become cities by some peoples definition. The stretch of settlement on the Onitsha-Owerri highway from Awo Omamma to Ihiala is totally inhabited but is considered a cluster of villages.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 18, 2011
Abagworo:

If the skyscrapers and wide high ways  are excluded, then Imo State has several cities like Owerri, Oguta, Akabo, Akokwa, Orlu, Okigwe, Mbaise, Anara-Amaraku etc. Anambra has Onitsha, Nkpor, Obosi, Ihiala, Nnewi, Atani, Uga, Umunze, Ekwulobia.etc All these places have more than 100,000 inhabitants.Most of the villages in Anambra and Imo are extremely populated and joined together, hence they have become cities by some peoples definition. The stretch of settlement on the Onitsha-Owerri highway from Awo Omamma to Ihiala is totally inhabited but is considered a cluster of villages.
Abagworo:

Don't mistake cities for towns though wink wink
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Abagworo(m): 10:23pm On Dec 18, 2011
A look at this picture will ordinarily suggest Igboukwu or Nnewi as a sub-urban of one another but there are several villages lying in between that are considered different from both towns.

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 10:24pm On Dec 18, 2011
Hey folks

This is ma thread and I say that population is one among the factors but not the determining factor that make a city grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Why can't someone post somthing where population was the only factor used to define a city
What population cut off? DK says 300K and I ask where he got that from.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 10:26pm On Dec 18, 2011
9jaganja:

I think Nchara wants to debate modernization not city/town settlement!!

And you know that how? Yesterday you accused me of tribalism on account of this thread and now you divine for me what I intended to discuss? Men!!! I tire for some people
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 10:44pm On Dec 18, 2011
GAR3TH:

There is no real definition to what a city is, for example the smallest city in NY State is Sherrill with a population of 3,000 people while at the same time the largest town in New York state is The town of Hempstead with a population of 760,000. Like I said before cities and towns are defined by administrations like the case in NY or by people's common knowledge and perception.

According to the state of NY sherrill is a city but according to me and others sherill will be consider a town through our perception of what a town should be. So yes, Nigeria and it states may consider Enugu a city but many people will consider Enugu a large town. It doesn't look, act, feel or have the same flow as what we expect from a city. Compared to Kano, Kaduna, Benin, PH, Ibadan and Lagos, Enugu and even abuja would be considered suburban sprawls.

On the bolded: Many people like who?

What makes Benin and PH different from Enugu? Their population difference? What is your own pop cut off? How is Abuja an urban sprawl and not a city? How is Ibadan (Indeed, Ibadan is a city as I have repeated here) a city with all its own urban sprawls (Ojoo, Moniya, etc) and Abuja will be a mere urban sprawl and not a city, according to you?
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 18, 2011
Nchara:

And you know that how? Yesterday you accused me of tribalism on account of this thread and now you divine for me what I intended to discuss? Men!!! I tire for some people

subconsciously or intentionally, you were being biased toward your SE "cities" yes I accused you of tribalism and I stand by that. But the basis of your ethnic bias is suppose to be mechanical modernization not settlement, Simple,

May be you are ignorant as to what a city is or is not hence you think, skyscrappers constitute a city. You were quick to mention places in the east which  by your standard won't even qualify as a city onitcha/Aba for example, These are messed up places and calling them cities will make Ajegunle also in their league.

Really, I'm not the first to accuse you of tribalism. And YES your intentions were to paint other people as never developing while you "SE" is el dorado!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by aljharem3: 10:52pm On Dec 18, 2011
asha 80:

ignorance is bliss.i do not need to engage you any further.

mbaise more than 300,000 when the population of Imo state does not support it.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by aljharem3: 10:54pm On Dec 18, 2011
Nchara:

What makes Benin and PH different from Enugu? Their population difference? What is your own pop cut off? How is Abuja an urban sprawl and not a city? How is Ibadan (Indeed, Ibadan is a city as I have repeated here) a city with all its own urban sprawls (Ojoo, Moniya, etc) and Abuja will be a mere urban sprawl and not a city, according to you?

I would like to separate some facts here.

What makes Onitsha , benin and co a city is the opportunities those cities provides along side the diverse population and amenities.

although with things like malls and cinemas in enugu now, it would be expected to grow into a city.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by KnowAll(m): 11:01pm On Dec 18, 2011
Lagos, Ibadan, Kano , Abuja, Kaduna, Benin, Enugu, PH, Ikeja, are Metropolitan in Nature and are Cities and are Metropolitan areas also.

By Metropolitan I mean, You cannot drive into any of these Cities and be out of the City within 10 or 20 Minutes because they are huge Urban settlements that has all the paraphernalia and problems that bedevilled a City such as Traffic Jams, Bottlenecks, hawkers and other commercial intrusion being the bane and the other of the day.

Every other Urban Stettlement with multiple Bank Branches and in most cases multiple Branches of the same Bank within the City, A General Hospital, Good quality Hotels, Good quality eatries, a CATHEDRAL, Large Mosque, and other denominations of the faithes be it Christanity or Islamic Faiths can be called a City.

@poster, there are no one city states in Nigeria no matter how you want to spin it. And Secondly the SW is the most Urbanised part in Nigeria based on data from back in the 1950's, 15 of the 20 largest Towns then were in the SW. Today many other Towns across all regions can be called Cities so your assertion some states are one City state is a fallacy. undecided

To move forward on City Development

In other to fight huge unemployment in the land,  Cities in Nigeria should have " Statutory Civic Institutions within" and by this I mean a City  must have the following if we want to go by Western Standard.

1. Any City above 100,000 people should have her own University, a Large Hospital the size of Luth or UCH in Ibadan, a General Post OFFICE, A City Town Hall, A City Mall e.t.c and a Mayor, the system where we have 3 or sometimes 4 LG in one City and it is still not working must be Scrapped and a purposeful office of a Mayor established and elected.The LG Chairmen System can be used and retained in the rural areas.

2. The Income from the federation Account should be channelled to the 3 Senatorial District, the Senator elect should be charged with the glorified job of dispensing the funds accordingly(at least by Given the Senators that extra work they would be able to justify their huge allowances). We should do away with that corrupt and high-ended office of  the Governor, that would save the country a lot of funds.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 11:08pm On Dec 18, 2011
9jaganja:

subconsciously or intentionally, you were being biased toward your SE "cities" yes I accused you of tribalism and I stand by that. But the basis of your ethnic bias is suppose to be mechanical modernization not settlement,  Simple,

May be you are ignorant as to what a city is or is not hence you think, skyscrappers constitute a city. You were quick to mention places in the east which  by your standard won't even qualify as a city onitcha/Aba for example,  These are messed up places and calling them cities will make Ajegunle also in their league.

Really, I'm not the first to accuse you of tribalism. And YES your intentions were to paint other people as never developing while you "SE" is el dorado!!!

Funny how only the Yorubas here see tribalism. I do not know on this thread where I have painted SE as eldorado. I will be pleased that you point that to me. I believe your tribal sentiment is beclouding you big time. I can't help you on that, sorry. You say I am ignorant as to what a city should look like yet I have listed all my criteria for what a city should be and maintained that no single factor tells the whole story. Where did I insist that skyscrappers constitute a city?. Could it be that you are too illiterate to read my posts or you are too tribally consumed that you do not want to? And don''t go to the ''Aba/Onisha messed up'' angle otherwise Ibadan and a huge swathe of LAGOS are also as messy. I lived in those places and I know, ok?

Now if you have nothing more meaningful to say, hop of my thread. Thanks.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by GAR3TH(m): 11:10pm On Dec 18, 2011
Nchara:

Compare this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUP9U2Gj3-Q
to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8o5y5BmGs

Which one looks like a town and which one looks like a city.  Enugu is not densely populated and its development are spread out. A city in the minds of people is a place were you can easily walk from place to place and not have to drive 5 miles just to go shopping. Hence why I said enugu and abuja is an urban sprawl. compared that to lagos, Ibadan or PH, though you may have to drive sometimes but for the most part everything is relatively close.

In other words a city, in the minds of many, is a place with high density and mixed zones.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 11:14pm On Dec 18, 2011
GAR3TH:

Compare this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUP9U2Gj3-Q
to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8o5y5BmGs

Which one looks like a town and which one looks like a city.  Enugu is not densely populated and its development are spread out. A city in the minds of people is a place were you can easily walk from place to place and not have to drive 5 miles just to go shopping. Hence why I said enugu and abuja is an urban sprawl. compared that to Ibadan or PH, though you may have to drive sometime but for the most part everything is relatively close.

In other words a city, in the minds of many, is a place with high density and mixed zones.

If you live in Ojoo which is part of the Ibadan city metropolis, you will have to drive to Dugbe axis to get to a bank, no? Same for those living in areas around Akobo etc. How convenient is that? As far as I know in Enugu metropolis there is no place you will drive 5 miles before you see a shop, etc. Not sure what you are driving at here.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by jason123: 11:15pm On Dec 18, 2011
KnowAll:

Lagos, Ibadan, Kano , Abuja, Kaduna, Benin, Enugu, PH, Ikeja, are Metropolitan in Nature and are Cities and are Metropolitan areas also.

alj_harem:

What makes Onitsha , benin and co a city is the opportunities those cities provides along side the diverse population and amenities.

although with things like malls and cinemas in enugu now, it would be expected to grow into a city.

Thank you guys.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 11:21pm On Dec 18, 2011
alj_harem:

mbaise more than 300,000 when the population of Imo state does not support it.

Yes Mbaise is more than 300K, the most populous area of Imo state. Could be up to 1 ml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbaise
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by asha80(m): 11:24pm On Dec 18, 2011
Nchara:

Yes Mbaise is more than 300K, the most populous area of Imo state. Could be up to 1 ml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbaise

not up to a million.the million in that link is probably the approximate no of indigenes both within and outside mbaise.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 11:26pm On Dec 18, 2011
alj_harem:

What is meant by diverse population? Are those huge Indian and Chinese cities with non diverse populations no longer cities?

What does the link you posted earlier say about Enugu? With or without Malls and Cinemas, Enugu is already a city. So the issue of growing into a city is rubbish. Ogbomosho does not have a ''mall'' and someone insists (and perhaps rightly too) that it is a city. Wetin you dey drink?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

If The Late Ghanaian President Died In Nigeria: / Southern Presidency: I Won’t Join Issues With Clerk, Others – Okowa / The Face Of The Man Who Bombed The Un Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.