Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here (86694 Views)

Psychology Graduates Lets Meet Here / Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by ayabdul: 9:40am On Jan 03, 2015
virteousemy:
wow!!! im glad i found dis Family cheesy. Im a graduate of Physics/Electronics, just passed out from N.Y.S.C. & luks forwrd 4 a PGD admission. Pls i will like to knw d available options for PGD in Nigerian universities... Tanx in anticipation. Pls i wil appreciate any info on 2014/2015 PGD admiasion in any Nigerian University within south south region.
I most cases dia is no options for PGD.Pgs in physics is Pgd in physic. Although with some exception in geophysics,industrial physics etc
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by ayabdul: 9:46am On Jan 03, 2015
dljbd1:
Hello people,
I'm glad to see this thread has picked up even after the data loss.
I'd say this is one of those threads on NL that has kept me going smiley

@kunlejazz: your post is so on point bro. I am working at a consulting firm with a 50k pay (just increased it this month though) and I must confess, it hasn't been easy considering a lot of my pals that work in PWC and the likes. Starting big is good...it is over-rating yourself that's bad. I'm won't say I'm proud of where I am but I'm not shy either. I'm busy gathering all experiences here and personally developing myself and career for the Shell and the likes. cool

Wherever you find yourself, just make sure you have a bigger picture

right now, mine is so bright I need sun-shades cool
>>>to be continued<<<
. What is d specialization of d consulting firm
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by simiolu1(m): 2:12pm On Jan 03, 2015
alarena:
Am in 300l pure physics at unilag, pls can someone indicates comapnies that I can do my IT
U have to narrow down ur range to an industry or industries that U'll like to do ur IT. Then peeps can give U suggestions, recommendations or connections
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by babatawa(m): 2:14pm On Jan 03, 2015
@RedReact thanx for tha tips
mamatawa nur b physicist o infact she doesnt even exist...
erm about ABU/etisalat telecoms program
ah honestly got no idea but i'd make enquiries
and get back to you...
wey my chicken dey guy?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by dljbd1(m): 3:22pm On Jan 03, 2015
ayabdul:
. What is d specialization of d consulting firm
Bro...thank you for quoting me. I wrote 'to be continued' so let me continue.

The firm is an accounting and HR firm. They sell and implement Sage Products and other accounting and HR software.

**continuation**

I'm glad to tell you guys that I've stepped up ⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ to everyone's wonderful motivational posts here. I'm a part of one of the Big Fours.

Let me conclude with these quotes by Jim Rohn I have carved in my heart:

"Philosophy is the sum total of all that you know and what you decide is valuable. If you want to amend your errors, you must begin by amending your philosophy."

I love you guys...!

1 Like

Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by noordean(m): 5:11pm On Jan 03, 2015
RedReact:

I think FUTA is good in Physics. I didnt study there but I know many who did and are very good physicists; FUTO is also good too.
That's good to hear
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Mblem(m): 2:08am On Jan 04, 2015
Am happy seeing you guys again.... I love physics to the marrow, am going for a masters program in physics but am a kind of confuse whether to go for ionospheric physics and radio propagation or lower physics... which one will give me an edge in the labour market? ... or if there is any other Field you can still recommend for me please... tanx my quantize physicists.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by RedReact: 7:50am On Jan 06, 2015
^^^
If you have a flair for Space Communications or anything related to space, Ionospheric Physics should be a good option but if you want to narrow it down to communication, you can choose Radio Propagation Physics. The two options are quite good, I believe. I think some universities combine the two together; Radio Propagation and Ionospheric Physics.

@Babatawa, go and look for mamatawa at the laboratory. You must not deny Nigeria her own Currie family.

2 Likes

Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by PrinceAkbabio(m): 2:56pm On Jan 06, 2015
Helo my fellow physicists, i graduated frm d dept of physics, uniuyo. I wish to pursue my M.Tech in petroleum geophysics in FUTA. I will appreciate any useful info on hw 2 go abt it
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by RedReact: 9:24am On Jan 07, 2015
^^^
The best thing you can do is to get to their website and see if you can get the desired information you want. Should it be unavailable, you can give a call to the department or find time to visit the school.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by babatawa(m): 1:32pm On Jan 07, 2015
thanks a bunch @ReadReact
you've bin extremely helpful
thanx again... Think i'l do a little
research bout those two fields and
see one which is easier grin
bros mamatawa is free to go
into any field she deems fit
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by seunwen2(m): 9:49pm On Jan 07, 2015
Hello physicists in the building am a graduate of physics graduated with a lower credit with cgpa of 2.93 pained me i did not enter 3. but God knows the best am planning to go into construction field now. What is the best course to study for MSc with regards to that and which company can you recommend me for? Also planning to set up my own block industry but no resources for that now. Advice me physicists in the building

Am yet to go for service
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Alexyswiss(m): 12:03am On Jan 08, 2015
pls I am studying physics bsc at my 200L we going on SIWES next month

in furthering my career as a physicist I'm going into AeroPhysics or any space related field
so where can I do my IT that can give me some pre-knowledge of it

thanks
PS can I do my IT in an airport?
#TeamPhysicist
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by RedReact: 11:30am On Jan 08, 2015
babatawa:
thanks a bunch @ReadReact
you've bin extremely helpful
thanx again... Think i'l do a little
research bout those two fields and
see one which is easier grin
bros mamatawa is free to go
into any field she deems fit
You are welcome bro. All the best in your endeavours and speedy success too.

@Alexyswiss, one thing about Physics is that you can switch into any field you like, even in the area of medicine. The area of Aero in its technicality aspect is out of the scope of Physics, only in the research field; hence, there is nothing like Aero Physics. However, if you want to move into the aero world, it is a different career on its own and you are free to get into it. I believe your first degree in Physics will get you into Piloting, should you desire to fly planes.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by simiolu1(m): 11:44am On Jan 08, 2015
RedReact:

You are welcome bro. All the best in your endeavours and speedy success too.

@Alexyswiss, one thing about Physics is that you can switch into any field you like, even in the area of medicine. The area of Aero in its technicality aspect is out of the scope of Physics, only in the research field; hence, there is nothing like Aero Physics. However, if you want to move into the aero world, it is a different career on its own and you are free to get into it. I believe your first degree in Physics will get you into Piloting, should you desire to fly planes.

He could also become an Engineer (of planes and helicopters), go into avionics or aerospace management (as seen wit guys in NAMA).
Please note that aviation is like a closed industry & U'll need to do some professional courses (at NDA or elsewhere). Except of course U have connections in d industry
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by simiolu1(m): 11:50am On Jan 08, 2015
Alexyswiss:
pls I am studying physics bsc at my 200L we going on SIWES next month

in furthering my career as a physicist I'm going into AeroPhysics or any space related field
so where can I do my IT that can give me some pre-knowledge of it

thanks
PS can I do my IT in an airport?
#TeamPhysicist
If U're goin to be lookin for placement at d airport, pls ur best bet would be jobs that add a technical knowledge to U! Cos d knowledge gained would serve ur career objective(s) in the long term.
Those category of jobs include NAMA, maintenance engineer (with any of the airlines) etc.
As much as possible, avoid placements that limit U to administrative tasks only (carrying reports, filing papers, buying food, goin to d bank to send or collect money etc.)
My 2 cents
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Alexyswiss(m): 1:19pm On Jan 09, 2015
Thanks man..

I appreciate you all...

can I get technical knowledge from Airline if I get to do IT there?
I.e would they take me to the Maintenance section?

and pls I need some other examples of companies I could do placement in..
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by simiolu1(m): 5:57pm On Jan 09, 2015
Alexyswiss:
Thanks man..

I appreciate you all...

can I get technical knowledge from Airline if I get to do IT there?
I.e would they take me to the Maintenance section?

and pls I need some other examples of companies I could do placement in..

Yes they can! But U have to find out first if they are willing to put U in that dept.
The first thing U need to do is narrow ur IT placement search to an industry or group of industries.
When U do that U can then ask peeps to give U company names in d particular industry(ies) of ur choice.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by igetemi(m): 9:18pm On Jan 09, 2015
Physics graduates, i need you help.
Please i also want to study Physics. But i need there course outline, so that i can read ahead. Please share me.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Alexyswiss(m): 9:58pm On Jan 09, 2015
simiolu1:

Yes they can! But U have to find out first if they are willing to put U in that dept.
The first thing U need to do is narrow ur IT placement search to an industry or group of industries.
When U do that U can then ask peeps to give U company names in d particular industry(ies) of ur choice.

this helped alot..
I didn't know this much about physics degree

Thank. I'll try an airline company!!! or probably Nigerian Airforce
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by simiolu1(m): 6:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
igetemi:
Physics graduates, i need you help.
Please i also want to study Physics. But i need there course outline, so that i can read ahead. Please share me.

Please be informed that different schools have different approach dependin on the major. Some schools offer Physics standalone while others offer it as Physics/Electronics.
Even amongst schools that offer d same major, d course outline would be different. Hope U get my drift
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by igetemi(m): 7:55am On Jan 11, 2015
simiolu1:

Please be informed that different schools have different approach dependin on the major. Some schools offer Physics standalone while others offer it as Physics/Electronics.
Even amongst schools that offer d same major, d course outline would be different. Hope U get my drift

yes
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by RedReact: 8:38am On Jan 12, 2015
To add to what simiolu1 said, igetemi should try to build his foundation calculus (elementary and advanced) and linear algebra. That is what all of Physics is built on. If he can do that, he will find it interesting to study.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by simiolu1(m): 9:42am On Jan 12, 2015
RedReact:
To add to what simiolu1 said, igetemi should try to build his foundation calculus (elementary and advanced) and linear algebra. That is what all of Physics is built on. If he can do that, he will find it interesting to study.
Thanks bro... To put it in simple terms, learn basic integration, diferentiation and trig.
If you know U can't stand any of these topics, kindly reconsider ur dream of studyin Physics or most engineerin courses.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Mblem(m): 10:16am On Jan 22, 2015
RedReact:
^^^
If you have a flair for Space Communications or anything related to space, Ionospheric Physics should be a good option but if you want to narrow it down to communication, you can choose Radio Propagation Physics. The two options are quite good, I believe. I think some universities combine the two together; Radio Propagation and Ionospheric Physics.

@Babatawa, go and look for mamatawa at the laboratory. You must not deny Nigeria her own Currie family.

thank you very much sir..... I really appreciate your kind gesture. I'll be going for ionospheric physics and radio propagation but the urgent issue I need now is that we are to choose either one or two elective for the first session.... so am confuse whether to chose one or two... but what are/is the advantage of doing two electives at the masters level? if am to chose two please which other one should I add with the ionospheric physics to raise my chance of getting employed?..... others electives includes: Lower Atmosphere, (Geophysics)solid earth physics and solar physics.. which one should I go for pls advice, I don't really have flaw for geophysics. tanx for your quick response.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by RedReact: 10:36am On Jan 22, 2015
^^^
Solar Physics and Lower Atmosphere are good. You can choose any of the two.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Mblem(m): 11:50pm On Jan 22, 2015
RedReact:
^^^
Solar Physics and Lower Atmosphere are good. You can choose any of the two.
tanz boss .... I will go for solar physics plus ionospheric to make it two electives. but what if I do only one electives is there any penalty maybe in the nearest future about it?
because my frnd said I can't deviate from ionospheric to another branch during my PhD level except I offered the course during my MSc. Please is that true?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by RedReact: 5:43pm On Jan 23, 2015
^^^
Your friend was right to an extent. In a case whereby you use your MSc to apply for PhD, you will have been streamlined to what you did at the MSc level, but if it BSc to PhD, no need for that; also to an extent, I guess, as it may be taken from your BSc research project.

1 Like

Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Mblem(m): 12:05pm On Jan 25, 2015
RedReact:
^^^
Your friend was right to an extent. In a case whereby you use your MSc to apply for PhD, you will have been streamlined to what you did at the MSc level, but if it BSc to PhD, no need for that; also to an extent, I guess, as it may be taken from your BSc research project.

thank you sir.... I will for only ionospheric physics, to avoid much load and stress. tanx
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by seunwen2(m): 5:34am On Feb 15, 2015
What's the Job prospect for Solar Physics?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by simiolu1(m): 9:28am On Feb 17, 2015
seunwen2:
What's the Job prospect for Solar Physics?
Are U talking about Masters level or undergraduate level?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by seunwen2(m): 9:47am On Feb 17, 2015
simiolu1:

Are U talking about Masters level or undergraduate level?

talking about masters level

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With / CEO Back Home Now Cleaning Nyash In UK - Curvy Nigerian Lady Breaks Down In Tear / Woman Working At A Building Site In Lagos (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.