Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,562 members, 7,837,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? (5996 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Ournaija: 1:14pm On Dec 19, 2011
I was argiung with a colleague who said that the protest will be a do or die affair. That they are ready to die at the toll plaza if the government refuse to yield to their call. I couldnt help but laugh in Ghana.

The only people who got the gut to die in whatever they believe in Nigeria are  Northerners. A typical Yoruba man is a coward. An Igbo man love him business pass im Mama and Papa put together. He does not want to loose his goods for any gaddam  protest.

Do you know that police men don`t behave anyhow in the North? They don`t collect bribes by force in that part of this country. You can`t oppress an Hausa man too much and expect to live in peace.  People may say that they are brainwashed but at least they come out and fight what ever they think is not in their favour.  Southerners are too afraid for some useless reasons. Southerners can not be trusted for matters like this. shior.

Revolution in Nigeria can only start from the North, mark my word.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by hrhobi1(m): 1:21pm On Dec 19, 2011
@TRUTHTELA I DEY WAIT FOR YOU SHOW ME THE WAY, I HAVE MY CUTLASS WITH ME. OYA LEAD US
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by ade80: 1:39pm On Dec 19, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

Why it failed,

1. The Protest and agitation against the toll on the Lekki-Epe Axis  was ill adviced especially by those who has issues with LAGOS State government on political grounds. The Likes of Bode George jumping forward to lead a campaign against Tolling, already this pushed people with genuine issues against the project off the protest. When a masses oriented agitation is reduced to a political weapon it will fall woefully.

2. Most of those who claim to be leading the Protest are insincere, the like of Ebun Olu-Adegboruwa who has been evading tax in Lagos for years and already have a paper served him in that respect.

3. They did not make realistic demand to LCC/LASG. I am of the opinion that the politicians among them blurred their mindset. Ordinarily a responsible demand should included the following
      a. Reduction of the toll price by 50%
      b. reduce toll point to 2 points instead of 3 as currently done.
      c. make the alternative road more accessible by improving the facilities like street light, rid the road of abandonned vehicles and security

If we benchmark it against developed and developing countries in Malaysia you have 6 Toll Gates in a road of about 100km. They pay tax too. Good thing doesn't come cheap. In the UK, you have to pay for a parking slot even in your workplace.

Yoruba have a proverb "Ile ti a ba fi ito mo, eeri lo ma nwo danu" (A house built with saliva will be distroyed by dew)

If LCC/LASG can guarantee regular maintenance of the infrastructure and the road is well looked after, you gotta pay, guys. That's the way it is.

Bouradillon road were all the politicians and megarich stay was repaired but the road was not tolled, if you feel it is fair for a family whose children school in  Victoria Island  to pay a toll of N480 daily just for school runs then there is something wrong with this country, by the way, in addition to taxes , i also pay an annual tenement rate to lagos state govenment.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by daphil: 1:51pm On Dec 19, 2011
Lagosians deserve this! This is part of the dividend of democracy. Afterall, they all voted for Raji Fashola and ACN. grin cheesy
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by arymal29: 1:58pm On Dec 19, 2011
Civilized societies work when everybody pays his/her share of the expenses to run a functioning state. The road was built thru a PPP consortium, and regardless of the corruption that might be involved, which should have been the issue if it can be proven in the court of law; unfortunately an average Nigerian wants the Government to provide everything for free.

Where would the so call Government get the money from to provide all such amenities if nobody want to pay for them?

As to the Occupy Lekki issue, which may or not maybe over, but by all account, the Government has won this round; if the residents of the area are really serious about their cause, all they need to do is to send a message to the Legislature, and the best way to do that is to come together as a group and vote their representatives out of office in the next election, and replace them with people from the area that care about their cause or causes.

The same instrument could also be use for the next fight – The Oil Subsidy Removal: even though I do believe it should be removed, but guess what, that is what Democracy is all about; where the majority rules.

Nigerians in general also need to come off this premise of expecting everything for free, and please don’t tell me we pay taxes, yes we do, and so does all other civilized countries that also has toll roads, by the way, I can actually name various taxes been paid depending on where you live and its state law.

Corruption and ethnic bigotry is the main issue with Nigeria, and until we all stop to receive and give bribes, stop this mentality of what is in it for me, nothing will ever change.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by chuksikem(m): 2:36pm On Dec 19, 2011
its really sad, everybody wants change but nobody is willing to die or suffer bodily harm,

the protest was scheduled to kickoff as early as 5.47am on saturday morning, the plan was to block the entrance from oriental hotel and stop vehicles from coming in and going out of lekki-epe expressway, until the govt reverses its position, you can imagine the disappoint we faced, on getting to the venue, there was no single protester, no body showed up until around 8-9am, by then the security operatives have arrived, the few ones that showed up just came to take pictures and dance, nobody was willing to move close to the toll.

the exercise flopped because we are very docile and afraid, no body wants to die, i salute the courage of the compass newspaper guys, they tried, may God bless them, the entire indigenes that stay on that axis are all COWARDS, 90% of the guys that came out were not even from lagos state, mostly igbo boys and benin/delta folks, who have properties on that axis and can very much afford the toll rates,

The torture has started and am so impressed because the rich and poor will definitely feel the pain, it took me 1.30mins to move from lekki roundabout to oriental hotel because of the lousy nature of the lcc guys, because they dont have change, moreover 2of the toll pay points have packed up, let us all stew in our own foolery and cowardness,

A REVOLUTION CAN NEVER TAKE PLACE IN NIGERIA, MAYBE IN THE NORTH, BUT HERE IN THE SOUTH, HELL NO
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Baawaa(m): 2:46pm On Dec 19, 2011

That is the fact!
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by eros(m): 6:35pm On Dec 19, 2011
Baawaa:

That is the fact!

I agree with you on that one.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Johndoe100(m): 7:38pm On Dec 19, 2011
Never thot the protest would work. There were to many civilised people involved.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Remii(m): 9:24pm On Dec 19, 2011
I participated in the protest and I have no regrets. Even though some may consider it unsuccessful.

1. It gives me joy that I spoke against what I don't like, even though LASG may be having her way now.
2. It gave me a clear knowledge of hypocrisy in Tinubu lead ACN, which, unfortunately, I voted governorship for in last election.
3. It rekindled a feelings during 1986 student action as Year One Student at Unife, a protest where Ife students allegedly freed prisoners.

Now when I drive through either the so called "alternative road" or the "rip off gates", I can tell any complainer that, "Had you come out and join us that day, maybe we could make a change.

For me it is not over until it is over. Table can still turn. Suppressing a legitimate people's protest can be a double edged sword, that can hurt even the so called "victor". As Dele Giwa ones wrote: Triumph of evil over good can only be temporary. Every injustice done to man by man will be revisited, if not now surely later, if not by man surely by God. Let's see who will laughs last.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by otokx(m): 9:28pm On Dec 19, 2011
indeed revolution in Nigeria can only start from the north
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by antartica(m): 9:31pm On Dec 19, 2011
The man that is afraid will always remain a fo-ool.When people are afraid,that is when they are subdued.

Fear is demonic,it is the root of all misfortunes and ignorance.Show me a man that is aready to die,then i show you a man that don't take shi-t like Fela.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by dayokanu(m): 10:09pm On Dec 19, 2011
The protest should be for them to reduce the toll fee not a total abolishment
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by jossy26: 10:18pm On Dec 19, 2011
Am surprised kobojunkie is not on this thread, been arguing blindly all these while, occupy lekki ko, occupy osodi ni
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Sike(m): 11:11pm On Dec 19, 2011
otokx:

indeed revolution in Nigeria can only start from the north

On Point!
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by NumberOne2(m): 11:42pm On Dec 19, 2011
After the Ocuppy Lekki, I must say that I have a lot of respect for some Nigerians. The fact that they came out at all is something.

Those pointing to the OCCUPY NY should have a rethink. What have they acheived so far besides getting pepper sprayed?

Like I always say "Rome wasn't built in a day but SOME IGNORANT Nigerians want Naija to be built overnight". How Einstien?
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Nadanbata: 3:24am On Dec 20, 2011
Ournaija:

I was argiung with a colleague who said that the protest will be a do or die affair. That they are ready to die at the toll plaza if the government refuse to yield to their call. I couldnt help but laugh in Ghana.

The only people who got the gut to die in whatever they believe in Nigeria are  Northerners. A typical Yoruba man is a coward. An Igbo man love him business pass im Mama and Papa put together. He does not want to loose his goods for any gaddam  protest.

Do you know that police men don`t behave anyhow in the North? They don`t collect bribes by force in that part of this country. You can`t oppress an Hausa man too much and expect to live in peace.  People may say that they are brainwashed but at least they come out and fight what ever they think is not in their favour.  Southerners are too afraid for some useless reasons. Southerners can not be trusted for matters like this. shior.

Everbody knows this but the problem is that itll will be steered religously instead of at the leaders. Notice how i used the word 'steered' as it wont start religous,
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by kobikwelu(m): 5:19am On Dec 20, 2011
^^^^

revolution indeed,

any thing from that region would be hijacked by fanatics and it would turn to a massacre of innocent citizens,

you would see peeps from the same geographical zone as the president hunted down.

our political/religious/ethnic makeup would make such an option impossible,

it would turn into a full blown civil war
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Onlytruth(m): 6:14am On Dec 20, 2011
Nigerians and their skewed and delusional mindset. undecided

Pray, has anybody come across a University graduated Engineer that skipped Calculus? HELL NO.
Nigerians think they can become Engineers without doing maths.

I will repeat my refrain again.

There can be no revolution, the type of "Arab spring" in Nigeria, until some Nigerian government and ex-government officials are dragged to the ICC War Crimes court at the Hague. Nigeria is a nation that commits mass murder and extra-judicial killings with relish and high impunity.

If 100,000 Nigerians come out to march and persist in their mass action, be assured that THOUSANDS can be gunned down by Nigerian security operatives without any qualms whatsoever. And nothing would happen after that. cool
You all know I'm speaking the truth. cool

That is why this, and any other protest, would never materialize in Nigeria.
If you want to earn the right to protest, the so called civil society groups in Nigeria can lay the foundation first by dragging some Nigerian war and civil rights criminals to the Hague. This is very cheap and would not even involve loss of life. After that, then watch how our security operatives would learn and allow us our constitutional rights of free speech which the marches are all about.

Start from the bottom. Pick out the mass murderers; drag them to Hague; come back home to enjoy your constitutional rights; else 10,000 demonstrates, 5,000 gunned down with impunity; others vow never to repeat the "mistake". cry undecided cry
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Nobody: 6:24am On Dec 20, 2011
jossy26:

Am surprised kobojunkie is not on this thread, been arguing blindly all these while, occupy lekki ko, occupy osodi ni
Kobojunkie bawo… never take any yankee base comments so seriously, It convinient 4 dem 2 hide behind there PC and propose diff text book theorem, Flight don finish 4 airport, Let dem all return home and fight d fight, At least we saw some libyans do dat some months back
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by werepeLeri: 8:02am On Dec 20, 2011
Lekki residents are high class and dont have time for any bu ll crap protest.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by 2AMLasgidi: 8:59am On Dec 20, 2011
A typical Toll Plaza road as obtainable in other part of the world. Our appeal is is for LCC/LASG to work hard such that the travel time on this road can be drastically reduced. LCC need to increase their efficiency by making sure that not more than 15-20 seconds is used on each car. As for LASG LASTMA and Traffic control Personnel should endeavour to control traffic effectively.

For example people going to Mobil or using alternative route should be made to keep right from after Law school. Information board should have been there to do that. The traffic must be managed to be barest minimum. If the current palliative measure of allowing vehicles (Motorists) to drive through without payment is temporary measure then a long and lasting measure like this need be in place.

Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Ournaija: 9:16am On Dec 20, 2011
kobikwelu:

^^^^

revolution indeed,

any thing from that region would be hijacked by fanatics and it would turn to a massacre of innocent citizens,

you would see peeps from the same geographical zone as the president hunted down.

our political/religious/ethnic makeup would make such an option impossible,

it would turn into a full blown civil war

Fanatics do hijack any form of protest in that region to massacre innocents citizen because they are not well informed. The good thing is that this guys mind have been trained to resist anything that oppose there way of life. 10 years from now, education would have taken root to a certain level.  You can imagine what this will achieve.

In Kaduna State for example, the Southern Kaduna christian youths are always keeping vigil against external attack and any form of oppression. Push them one mile, they will push you ten miles, not to talk of the Muslim youths, who are like time bombs, ready to explode anytime.  Provoke them, even if you are the president, they will lay ambush and deal with you there own way. Please don`t try Northerners on this.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by revivnaija: 10:36am On Dec 20, 2011
Pain:

Keep fooling yourselves that Nigerians can do nothing, The "Okada"/"Achaba" revolution is just around the corner!!
The occupy lekki was not a gathering of "real" Nigerians. Try mingling or profiling the the live and times of the Okada men then you will realize the latent but growing tension that would explode in our faces in the not too distant future.

i have been watching with keen interest the build up of this army especially those from the north. it is only a matter of time and i am afraid of the consequences.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akpabio's World Class Water Works. Pics.. / Enroute Ebonyi From Enugu (lets See If They Are Backward As Purported)- Pics / Senate Gets Buhari’s List Of Ministers - Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.