Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,574 members, 7,820,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

(lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) (1553 Views)

Agbaje Vows To Cancel Lekki-epe Toll Gate If Elected / Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza / Apga Condemns Lekki-epe Toll. Wetin Consyn Agbero With Overload. Lmao (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by emiye(m): 9:44pm On Dec 19, 2011
Stemming from the recent uproar as regards the lekki epe, toll, i decided to carry out a comparative analysis of a "similar" toll in U.K. with the lekki-epe toll. The highlight is as below.

Lekki-Epe toll
The pioneering 30-year Lekki-Epe Expressway Toll Road Concession is Nigeria's first ever Public Private Partnership (PPP) project. The contract between the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) and the Lagos State Government comprises the rehabilitation and upgrade of 49km of existing two-lane dual carriageway to a three-lane highway, the introduction of three toll plazas (with a maximum 22 lanes/plaza) and the construction of a new 20km highway along the south coast of the Epe peninsula.
1. Lekki to Epe was concessioned at N50 billion
2. To last for 30 years
3. motorcycles will pay N50, saloon cars and tricycles will pay N120.
4. Sport utility vans and minibuses part with N150 at the toll plaza.
5. Commercial buses pay N80
6.Light trucks and two-axle vehicles pay N250, while heavy trucks and long buses pay N350
www.lcc.com.ng

M6 Toll
The M6 Toll is the most exciting development in British transport history for many years. Since the M6 Toll opened in December 2003, it has grown from strength to strength and is recognised to be a key strategic route through the West Midlands. The British government concession to design, build, open and operate the 43 km of the M6 Toll until 2054, 53 years after contract award effective date, after this time the road will be handed back to the government.
1. M6 toll concessioned at £900 million.
2. To last for 53 years
3. motorbike pays £3.00 Mon - Fri £2.80 Sat - Sun £1.80 Night (23:00 - 06:00)
4. car pays £5.30 Mon - Fri £4.80 Sat - Sun £3.80 Night
5. car & trailer pays £9.60 Mon - Fri, £8.60 Sat - Sun , £7.60 Night (23:00 - 06:00)

www.m6toll.co.uk
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by gidiMonsta(m): 11:21pm On Dec 24, 2011
this apparently means d M6 is more expensive than the Lekki-Epe expressway
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by aloyemeka1: 11:29pm On Dec 24, 2011
Did you consider taxation, GDP of both nations, government environmental regulations, cost of labor, currency value and long term aim for both governments before drawing your inference?. From what I can see, you do not have the cognitive and intellectual ability to provide us with a near perfect analogy.
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by deor03(m): 11:40pm On Dec 24, 2011
Comparing apples for apples ( excluding IRR,which is a major factor here)

Lekki

1. Concessioned for[b]  NGN 34,013,605.44[/b] Per year per Km
2. To last for 30 years
3. motorcycles will pay N50, saloon cars and tricycles will pay N120.
4. Sport utility vans and minibuses part with N150 at the toll plaza.
5. Commercial buses pay N80
6. Light trucks and two-axle vehicles pay N250, while heavy trucks and long buses pay N350

M6

1. M6 toll concessioned at   NGN 88,180,207.93 Per year per Km ( £1 = 254.4NGN)

2. To last for 53 years
3.  motorbike pays  NGN763.3 Mon - Fri    NGN712.4 Sat - Sun       NGN458.00 (23:00 - 06:00)
4. car pays NGN 1,350 Mon - Fri      NGN 1,221 Sat - Sun    NGN967 Night
5. car & trailer  pays NGN 2,442 Mon - Fri,   NGN2,188 Sat - Sun ,   NGN 1,933 Night (23:00 - 06:00)
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by KnowAll(m): 12:58am On Dec 25, 2011
Is Lekki Tolling free after 11:00 pm don't tell me tolling is for 24 hours undecided. All UK tolling are free in the night.
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by emiye(m): 1:02am On Dec 25, 2011
^^^

The analysis disproves your assertion, may be you meant it is cheaper
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by lastpage: 2:27am On Dec 25, 2011
@emiye:

I think you should also compare the "pictures" of both Motorways!
*One looks like a glorified "major street" while the other is a standard motorway

You should also compare the length/distance of the ACTUAL ROAD that is being tolled!

*LCC is tolling a 2KM stretch for =N=120, while the M6 is tolled at "43KM stretch" for =N=1,200 (average, for Saloon cars) Lets do the Maths!

You can also compare the QUALITY of BOTH ROADS (I have driven on both in the last 3weeks) and its like comparing "sleep and death", figuratively! grin
You can also factor-in 'average income per head', cost of living, e.t.c, to arrive at a credible analysis!

If we must compare, lets not Compare APPLES WITH ORANGES! wink

Cheers,

Lastpage.

BTW: Nothing is wrong with Tolling per se, its just like Taxes -very desirable but there must be obvious "value for money", it must be in the "Public interest" (as against one man or some Cabal's interest) and it must be progressive!
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by Kobojunkie: 2:32am On Dec 25, 2011
@OP, your first mistake was thinking you could compare Toll and road in a developed country like the UK to what is obtainable in a semi-third world country like Nigeria. I have been to UK and I would not even dare compare my friends grocery bill out in the UK with mine out here in the US, talk less of comparing with that of someone living in Nigeria.
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by dayokanu(m): 2:54am On Dec 25, 2011
Interesting
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by TheOne2(m): 7:54am On Dec 25, 2011
There are wrong basis in this comparison the most important being that LCC is tolling a 23km stretch 3 times. So you need to multiply LCC charges by 6 i.e. 43km\23kmtimes 3 tolls. Secondly, the quality is not the same.

If we even agree with the analogy, can we by the same token demand the same minimum wage from LSG that they pay in London? Same amenities? Or is the analogy only valid when LSG wants to fleece the populace and not when they should deliver quality to the people? And don't start about taxes cos we pay through our noses. A lot of people say Lagosians don't pay tax. Thatks abig lie. Whatever you in Lagos, you pay. Okadas pay to local govt touts. If you own a sshop both LSG and local govt people collect their levies. Roadside mechanics pay unless they want to be shut down.
Re: (lekki Epe Toll) Versus (m6 Toll U.k) by dustydee: 8:30am On Dec 25, 2011
@poster what is the difference? in Lagos you pay over 673 naira for less than 43km of travel while in the uk you pay 1350 naira. in the uk the minimum wage per hour is 1651 naira per hour while in Nigeria it is 102 naira per hour (if they start paying 18000).

(1) (Reply)

Private Email Conversation With Sanusi Lamido On Fuel Subsidy & Trust In Govt / Do You Want To Be Angry This Morning? Watch Nta Now! / 12m Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.