Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation (5748 Views)

CCT To Arraign Orubebe For False Asset Declaration & Acceptance Of N70m Bribe / EFCC Chairman Lamorde Sues The Sun Newspaper For N1billion / Gov. Chime At London Hospital For ENT Condition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by igboboy1(m): 9:51pm On Dec 22, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Abegi the issue is not about vanguard.did chime knack her sister in-law apako ? Yes or no ?

LOL, shuooooo CHime don turn terry G?
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by KokoBeware: 11:06pm On Dec 22, 2011
Its about time!!!

Useless Journalism, Nigerian Journalist publish every hint of gossip in National Dalies

This will surely teach them a lesson, they should leave gossip and stories they dont have proof about for Nairalanders,
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by doofanc: 11:11pm On Dec 22, 2011
egift:

[size=14pt]The worst is that the said girl is not even pregnant let alone having a baby[/size]

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

can this really be true?? could the editors have committed this unforgivable blunder? failing to understand that it will be pretty difficult to convince the public that the governor impregnated a lady who did not become pregnant??

Come on, I doubt this.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Outstrip(f): 2:59am On Dec 23, 2011
I thought it was his wife's older sister
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by iykak47: 3:26am On Dec 23, 2011
Kulas:

This is my State Governor and when the news spread last time,the first thing i did was to make a call to people in Enugu that i know have credible information about the happenings and they said it is true.Dont forget,i am from the same Enugu west senatorial zone,same as Governor Chime and i know Governor Chime home town.I was not there to see things myself as i did not based in my home state, but all the calls i made confirmed that it is true.So i think wat my dear governor/brother would have done is to subject himself to DNA test.This will really prove him innocent if he claim that he is,rather than resorting to a court issue.Conducting a DNA test is not swearing to an "ALUSI" (Shrine),it is technological confirmatory test.In our side which governor chime knows,this kind of thing is never taken so easy.It is "ALU"(an abomination).So let him prove his innocent by undergoing the DNA test.Until that is done and he confirmed innocent,then i will retract my statement that "I am disappointed in governor Chime".
So because Chime is your state governor, you must know what he does behind the door.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 7:40am On Dec 23, 2011
dmainboss:

Nairaland peeps self and their ignorance. It is not for Chime to prove anything. It is on the newspaper to prove it had compelling evidence before publishing such a story. It doesnt matter whether it is true or not. If the newspaper did not have enough evidence to publish such a story, they are done. I am speaking from a legal perspective. Forget the sentiments. Chime is not the defendant. He does not need to defend anything. It doesnt matter whether the story is true or not. It is wrong for a public media outfit to start printing things without real evidence. They better have serious evidence or they are fried. We must not enter the sentimental boat and start talking about the story being everywhere. Journalism can be a good tool for improving society but the present Nigerian journalistic landscape is really shiiite!  I hope if they are found guilty, it becomes a precedence for people to start suing for libel.

We want corruption and other vices exposed. But we do not want destructive propaganda journalism. Maybe Sahara reporters will be next!

Your post shows you know little or nada about the law , as a public figure your privacy has been thrown out the window. Gonzo journalism abounds everywhere , ever heard of the enquirer. Sadly I don't see the paper company winning this cos the governor would have covered all his tracks before coming out to sue.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by dmainboss: 7:56am On Dec 23, 2011
apocalypse:

Your post shows you know little or nada about the law , as a public figure your privacy has been thrown out the window. Gonzo journalism abounds everywhere , ever heard of the enquirer. Sadly I don't see the paper company winning this cos the governor would have covered all his tracks before coming out to sue.

So being a public figure gives a media organisation the right to print falsehood? Haba my bro, why you shooting yourself in the foot? Please stick to your profession whatever that is. Law is definitely not your forte. Law is based on evidence and if there is no evidence, its falsehood and you can sue the guys as.s. There is no sentiments or hearsay in law, only substantiated facts
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 23, 2011
nigerians will always deny, especially in nigeria , where they have so many things they can mnipulate

sani lulu vehemently denied all the corruption charges as well

if it was in nigeria, he would also have made a show of suing

all this suing means absolutely nothing

the gej administration also threatened to sue 234next

one wonders why the man is just suing now, this story has been out for several months already.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by dmainboss: 11:13am On Dec 23, 2011
^^^ Nigeria may have corrupt politicians, but that does not mean every rumour you hear about them is correct or true. Even all the ones you listed above might not be true. We live in a society of haters and people trying to bring others down. So categorically concluding that any story you hear about someone must be true is very wrong. You might be in a great position one day and people are going to talk about you. When you are a leader, you are always a target.

So stories you hear may be true and they may also be false. The only way we can truly know for sure is evidence else we will have a barbaric society.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 23, 2011
dmainboss:

So being a public figure gives a media organisation the right to print falsehood? Haba my bro, why you shooting yourself in the foot? Please stick to your profession whatever that is. Law is definitely not your forte. Law is based on evidence and if there is no evidence, its falsehood and you can sue the guys behind. There is no sentiments or hearsay in law, only substantiated facts

You totally miss the point as you did in the previous post , no one is supporting hearsay or calumny but you saying he doesn't have to prove anything is just silly. Already you are being judgmental , how do you know it is falsehood ? A simple paternity test will put all that to rest but the tone of your post indicates Chime can refuse to the test and still sue them ( he can refuse to prove his innocence and still sue ) , does that even make sense to you. Incase you don't understand what I am trying to put across , I am not in support of the paper company if truly it is a farce and Chime can sue them for all they are worth and more but he needs to give us the benefit of doubt for that to happen because he is a public figure and a representation of moral norms in the country.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 23, 2011
I can site many examples of similar or near similar scenarios happening to public and famous people in the world and any that sued had to prove his/her innocence or in some cases the defendant had to prove their guilt.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by dmainboss: 11:34am On Dec 23, 2011
Ok lets not resort to a fight but lets get the facts right. Nice rhyme. lol

Back to business. You still miss a fundamental part of law here. A man is innocent until proven guilty, not the other way round. Chime is the one suing for defarmation, he doesnt have to prove his innocence.

Secondly, my point is not based on my support for Chime. I dont know the guy neither am I from that state. I am just trying to hit a balance

Again, and most importantly, we have to assume that the paper had evidence in the first place before going to print. They should produce that evidence in court and clear themselves. If they dont have evidence before going to print and they now come and say Chime should do a test to prove anything, that will be the most stupid thing I have ever heard. Whether they are right or wrong, they will still be in trouble if they ever printed without evidence. That would be a dangerous thing in society if people can print things without evidence and now come to court and ask the judge to help them get the evidence. It is not the duty of the judge to help you get evidence. That will be really funny. And in this case, Chime is not the one on trial. I hope you get the gist.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by efisher(m): 2:02pm On Dec 23, 2011
Dmainboss is on point. Chime is not the defendant in this case. He has taken a giant step ahead of the journalists. Na die dem dey for dis one. Lol
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 23, 2011
I get your drift and I thought you'd miss the rhyme.lol
I tend to sound insultive but I don't mean to be rude , just crude ( lol ). In this case the best way to prove the news would be with a test and if Chime doesn't accept to the test then it is clear he has a few skeletons in his cupboard.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by basadenet: 2:32pm On Dec 23, 2011
Even if the Newspaper admitted to libel, From where did he expect them to get that kind of money to pay him? This chime guy must be sick upstairs. Did he not do it or what?
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Iolo(m): 12:48am On Dec 24, 2011
apocalypse:

You totally miss the point as you did in the previous post , no one is supporting hearsay or calumny but you saying he doesn't have to prove anything is just silly. Already you are being judgmental , how do you know it is falsehood ? A simple paternity test will put all that to rest but the tone of your post indicates Chime can refuse to the test and still sue them ( he can refuse to prove his innocence and still sue ) , does that even make sense to you. Incase you don't understand what I am trying to put across , I am not in support of the paper company if truly it is a farce and Chime can sue them for all they are worth and more but he needs to give us the benefit of doubt for that to happen because he is a public figure and a representation of moral norms in the country.

A paternity test would be politically wise but legally stupid. The outcome of that paternity test wouldn't affect anything that has to do with the court proceedings cause even if the paternity test comes true, how did the journalist get access to that information in the first instance (assuming none had been taken before already that leaked out). The paternity test won't be admissible in court as evidence on the defendants part. So legally it's pointless.

And the issue of a paternity test is even assuming there's a baby in the first instance. What the woman wasn't even pregnant? So let's not assume we are completely sure the babe get birth to a child, it could all be lies.

I hope this case isn't settled out of court. There's need for a legal precedence on libel in the media. Too many corrupt journalists with sway receive bribe from opposing factions to publish false stories that would entice the public and demonize their subjects, And trust Nigerians, we love beer parlor gist alot.

@basadenet, the judge can't ask the Newspaper to pay that amount (ideally). It's just his own expectation of what he wants to collect given his perceived grievance of the offence. The judge would allocate some portion of the 2.7billion based on what he thinks the newspaper can pay without crumbing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Battle Of Ia Drang: LZ XRAY / Why Did Chibok Girls Wear Mufti For SSCE Photos? – Dokubo Asari / Breaking News - Buhari's WASC Certificate Is Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.