Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,767 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer (13563 Views)

Nairaland Has Changed My Name From Pc Guru To Pcguru1 / I Don't Need Math / Have Problem Finding My Database; A Java Guru To Assist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 8:11pm On Dec 26, 2011
Mathematics and programming are very related. Computer - Science in itself, is a branch of applied mathematics. But does being good at pure math necessarily translate to being good at programming?? Does one need to be a math guru to be a programming guru?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 26, 2011
I dont believe so. But funny, all great programmers i know are maths whiz. . .maybe just maybe there might be a good correlation
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 11:05pm On Dec 26, 2011
some peeps in my class that are better mathematicians than me find programming tougher than me,
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by lordZOUGA(m): 11:14pm On Dec 26, 2011
IbroSaunks:

some peeps in my class that are better mathematicians than me find programming tougher than me,
getting good grades isn't everything, Both math and programming require logical thinking, If u are good at logic, Then u re good

1 Like

Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 12:58am On Dec 27, 2011
@Poster, if you want to be among the really good ones, you definitely need to strengthen your math skills. That is a fact in Computer science.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 1:22am On Dec 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, if you want to be among the really good ones, you definitely need to strengthen your math skills. That is a fact in Computer science.
but does one need to b a guru?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 3:26am On Dec 27, 2011
IbroSaunks:

but does one need to b a guru?
Depends on how how advanced you want to go. For instance, anyone with a focus in areas such as Cryptography, Algorithms Research, industrial research, Parallel systems, requires some serious math knowledge, but if you are simply trying to get a job as a programmer at the next IT dept in any company, you can get buy with not much maths.

And being a guru is not required, but you have to have some solid math skills. Solid Algebra skills are always good to have, no matter what your area of study.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 6:03am On Dec 27, 2011
^^^I completely agree with kobojunkie.
I have seen some great statisfical analytical softwares that some programmers made. Graph API, banking applications, applications like facebook website itself, google search and all that.
Can you immagine for a second if those programmers are not good in mathematics? or those that made this web app - http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcddata.html?ticker=BAC&fq=D&ezd=1W&index=2
Something like microsoft excel for instance is another application i can refer to - at least we all know that.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 27, 2011
Kobojunkie sums it all up, very well done.
You just need to be good in the subsets of Maths: logical thinking, problem solving, good problem solving methods, being able to spot patterns.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 9:59am On Dec 27, 2011
iv never failed it before, it was just one of d stuff I didn't enjoy. I always thought, "to what end"? when I'm studying something and I can answer that question well, it's usually nice learning it.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by 1stknight(m): 10:36am On Dec 27, 2011
I 'm having problem choosing my major right now between MSC and CSC, they 're both 5 yrs, b. Tech and the registration 'll close next week.

@ OP- I agree with wat kobojunkie said.

1 Like

Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Afam4eva(m): 10:47am On Dec 27, 2011
It helps if you're a mathematics guru. Programming involves using logic(mathematics) to solve problems. However having a basic understanding of mathematics is sufficient.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by lifestyle1(m): 11:14am On Dec 27, 2011
I don't like math!  angry angry

where can i start from ?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by boles80sg(m): 11:15am On Dec 27, 2011
U dnt need to be a guru in math b4 u can b a programmer.u should b able to think deep and be able to imagine things. Programmimng dnt need calculation na just english and computer will change it to computer language for u
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Afam4eva(m): 11:17am On Dec 27, 2011
boles80sg:

U dnt need to be a guru in math b4 u can b a programmer.u should b able to think deep and be able to imagine things. Programmimng dnt need calculation na just english and computer will change it to computer language for u

This is an ignorant statement. Even though i don't think one does not have to be a maths guru to be a programmer, a little maths skills is needed.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 27, 2011
Not ignorant, just too much hello world and CMS
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by fred2265: 12:17pm On Dec 27, 2011
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by guonno: 12:37pm On Dec 27, 2011
if a man = old
kill
else if
a man = young
spare
else if
he is not old or young
lock him up
else end
This is a typical program, and the simplest look at it tells u it is nothing but a piece of logic.
If y=5 and h=6, then what is k if k=y+h? Answer is 11.
A close look at the math above reveals that math is also based on logical reasoning. Therefore a good knowledge of math would aid ur programming ability.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 27, 2011
Yes but you need to understand more of the philosophies rather than the fundamental derivatives and available applications. With this in mind, the possibilities of developing applications will come easily.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 27, 2011
life_style:

I don't like math!  angry angry

where can i start from ?
Try to like it! You need to have good interest in mathematics or forget about the programming altogether.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Wallie(m): 2:47pm On Dec 27, 2011
Like Kobo said, it depends on what kind of programming and how far you want to go. If you’re doing something more than programming websites (Php MySql), you will probably need to be ok in math.

I just checked the requirements for a Computer Science degree and you need to take Calculus 1 & 2, Linear Algebra, and Probability and Statistics before graduating. However, you don't need to be a guru to pass the courses listed above but you do need to be good in math.

I would also add that being good in mathematics will help with the logical and axiomatic reasoning needed to be a successful programmer.

Lol @ you do not need math to be a programmer! Actually, many companies today are searching for people with math degrees to program. Here’s an article about companies looking for a Data Scientist. A data scientist is “someone who can obtain, scrub, explore, model and interpret data, blending hacking, statistics and machine learning.” This is the future!

http://gigaom.com/2010/12/16/wanted-data-scientists-to-turn-information-into-gold/?utm_medium=content&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_source=cnn&utm_content=spread-the-word-math-is-the-new-sexiness-in-it_455703
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 3:00pm On Dec 27, 2011
just wanted to add: while both math and programming require critical thinking, programming forces one to b more creative. in math there r formulas u have to follow to get a result, in programming, there r no formulas.

1 Like

Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Wallie(m): 3:02pm On Dec 27, 2011
IbroSaunks:

just wanted to add: while both math and programming require critical thinking, programming forces one to b more creative. in math there r formulas u have to follow to get a result, in programming, there r no formulas.

Wrong. It is called algorithm.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 3:17pm On Dec 27, 2011
I know what an algo is, u don't get my definition of formulas
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 3:22pm On Dec 27, 2011
for example. to differentiate products,the formula is u (dv/dx) + v(du/dx). doing it another way would just give u a wrong answer.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 3:25pm On Dec 27, 2011
u can write different algos to solve a single problem, the question would be which would b more efficient given particular constraints or the context of a problem.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Beaf: 3:28pm On Dec 27, 2011
Everything you can do in math, you can achieve in programming, but programming does much more than math alone can ever attempt to do. Therefore, I'll turn the question on its head by stating that; to be a math guru, one is advised to take up programming.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Beaf: 3:32pm On Dec 27, 2011
IbroSaunks:

for example. to differentiate products,the formula is u (dv/dx) + v(du/dx). doing it another way would just give u a wrong answer.

And programming loops do it in a totally natural way thats suited to the problem at hand.
In fact, many non-starters in math can grasp programming methods much better than they can grasp formal math formula's, so should we not be teaching programming rather than math in schools?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by nnabuike1(m): 3:33pm On Dec 27, 2011
One needs to be very good in maths to be good in computer science, but not nearly so much to be a good programmer
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Wallie(m): 3:35pm On Dec 27, 2011
Beaf:

Everything you can do in math, you can achieve in programming, but programming does much more than math alone can ever attempt to do. Therefore, I'll turn the question on its head by stating that; to be a math guru, one is advised to take up programming.

True because you're most likely not going to solve your mathematics problem by hand. You need Mathematica, Matlab or Maple.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Afam4eva(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2011
Beaf, this your logic get k-leg oo.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Wallie(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2011
IbroSaunks:

u can write different algos to solve a single problem, the question would be which would b more efficient given particular constraints or the context of a problem.

Most programs that require calculations will have access to library functions that you can call.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria / Junit: How To Set Classpath On Windows Xp / How Many Lines Of Code Is Your Largest Work So Far?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.