Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,641 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer (13571 Views)

Nairaland Has Changed My Name From Pc Guru To Pcguru1 / I Don't Need Math / Have Problem Finding My Database; A Java Guru To Assist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 9:49pm On Dec 29, 2011
@fayimora noted! But the purpose of opening threads on nairaland isn't solely for ones personal enlightenment. The topic isn't something that personally bothers me. It's just something i thought about once and iv seen people raise it up at one point or the other, hence my opening a thread on it, to  facilitate peaceful discussions. Im very sure that someone, one way or the other, has benefited from this thread, due to the inputs from various people. That's the point! once again, noted!
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 9:56pm On Dec 29, 2011
Fayimora:
@Kobo. . . .  I have noticed the way you bullshit others! Not to be mean but because you have a few years of experience doesn't make you invincible! You still have A LOT to learn. Just be more polite next time.

@Fayimora, it is Ok for you to notice whatever you want of my person, but please do not pretend you can tell me what to do or how to do it. If you do not like the way I type or debate, back off!!! It's as simple as that. And let those who are able to, continue.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by lordZOUGA(m): 2:20pm On Dec 30, 2011
I suppose y'all based your arguments on the premise "what works for one should work for all", Its a very dynamic world out there, So You all should stop sounding like u are sure of any goddamn thing,
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by kaboninc(m): 11:12am On Dec 31, 2011
@Kobo, I wud prefer we have a private conversation because it appears that this thread is generating some heat. My email address is Kaboninc@yahoo.com.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 31, 2011
Whish one be private conversation again? Nobody go chop you for here na? Abi you wan toast am ni?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 12:44pm On Dec 31, 2011
*dhtml:

Whish one be private conversation again? Nobody go chop you for here na? Abi you wan toast am ni?
grin grin
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by kaboninc(m): 3:37pm On Dec 31, 2011
*dhtml:

Maybe you too can help me. I'm trying to understand a concept and use a web application to implement it but I can't find any resource. Have you heard of LINK2LIST? No chykng o. Lol.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 4:07pm On Dec 31, 2011
kaboninc:

Maybe you too can help me. I'm trying to understand a concept and use a web application to implement it but I can't find any resource. Have you heard of LINK2LIST? No chykng o. Lol.
maybe u should create a thread for it.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by kaboninc(m): 4:13pm On Dec 31, 2011
IbroSaunks:

maybe u should create a thread for it.
I did but no response still. If you do or know someone who do please tell me.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Fayimora(m): 5:23pm On Dec 31, 2011
someone sent me a mail about that same stuff and I thought he/she was talking bout linked lists. I ain't got a clue what it is myself. Do you mind explaining but on another thread wink
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Dec 31, 2011
kaboninc:

@Kobo, I wud prefer we have a private conversation because it appears that this thread is generating some heat. My email address is Kaboninc@yahoo.com.

Sorry, I don't do email well. I use StackOverflow. There are usually a lot of competent developers logged on the site at most every hour of the day and they can quickly respond to your questions there.

On your question on Link2Lists, would I be correct is assuming you are referring there to Lists containing Lists, a sort of nested-list List construct?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by kodewrita(m): 7:53pm On Dec 31, 2011
@Fayimora we are not expected to get into fights on threads. You cannot kill threads simply because you dont like what they are saying. This board is not my personal fiefdom, neither is it yours. We are MODERATORS. We moderate. We dont start fights or get into them. I personally invited Kobo back because i believe she has something to offer.

@kobo polite conversarion does help get the msg across. Dont get discouraged. Evryone should contribute in their own way so we can all grow.

@Omo_to_dun and others. Dont allow temporary flamewars to stop you helping others on the board. I have read lots of your posts and I am impressed at the humility with which you describe your programming skills.

This thread is still open to all who care to contribute.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 8:00pm On Dec 31, 2011
kodewrita:

@Fayimora we are not expected to get into fights on threads. You cannot kill threads simply because you dont like what they are saying. This board is not my personal fiefdom, neither is it yours. We are MODERATORS. We moderate. We dont start fights or get into them. I personally invited Kobo back because i believe she has something to offer.

@kobo polite conversarion does help get the msg across. Dont get discouraged. Evryone should contribute in their own way so we can all grow.

@Omo_to_dun and others. Dont allow temporary flamewars to stop you helping others on the board. I have read lots of your posts and I am impressed at the humility with which you describe your programming skills.

This thread is still open to all who care to contribute.

+1, this makes sense!
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by kaboninc(m): 8:13pm On Dec 31, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Sorry, I don't do email well. I use StackOverflow. There are usually a lot of competent developers logged on the site at most every hour of the day and they can quickly respond to your questions there.

On your question on Link2Lists, would I be correct is assuming you are referring there to Lists containing Lists, a sort of nested-list List construct?
Lol at StackOverflow. Well its not about the nested lists or linked list either. Its like this, your university has an app that lets her lecturers input list of resource materials and LINK it their respective courses. The concept is about Resource List Management. Its common amongst universities in developed countries or well funded schools. I just need materials about that concept.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 31, 2011
^^^oh, so you were talking to me before, i missed it due to a small distraction. Anyways, why i cannot really respond much is that - i dont know if you are trying to build an application / a web application / a desktop application / just an application / whatever.
I and Kobojunkie dont speak the same programming langs . . .
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by kaboninc(m): 10:33pm On Dec 31, 2011
*dhtml:

^^^oh, so you were talking to me before, i missed it due to a small distraction. Anyways, why i cannot really respond much is that - i dont know if you are trying to build an application / a web application / a desktop application / just an application / whatever.
I and Kobojunkie dont speak the same programming langs . . .
I'm talkin to anyone who can help me. Its not just the program but understanding the problem. When I grab the problem, I'll call you guys for the solution and it'll be a web app thing. Just the problem first.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 10:35pm On Dec 31, 2011
kodewrita:

If polite implies that I ought not to criticize or correct, then sorry I am not here to chat your way or any other person's way either. You guys needs to STOP trying to tell others how they ought to present themselves. That is actually RUDE to begin with. Let people chat as they will.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 10:39pm On Dec 31, 2011
kaboninc:

Lol at StackOverflow. Well its not about the nested lists or linked list either. Its like this, your university has an app that lets her lecturers input list of resource materials and LINK it their respective courses. The concept is about Resource List Management. Its common amongst universities in developed countries or well funded schools. I just need materials about that concept.

That sounds like what it is. I used the LinkedList idea because you can implement the construct using a linked lists. What exactly are attempting to do here? Or what part of this are you having a problem with? The design? Or implementation? I am sure if you google it, you should find some ideas on how it is done. 
Here is a link I found by simply googling and it sort of explains much and gives one an idea of how it probably works in the back.

http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/academicsupport/informationandadviceonlink2listsreadinglistsoftware/_files/Link2Lists-Getting-Started,-ver.1.6-(academic-staff).pdf
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 31, 2011
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 31, 2011
Kobojunkie:

That sounds like what it is. I used the LinkedList idea because you can implement the construct using a linked lists. What exactly are attempting to do here? Or what part of this are you having a problem with? The design? Or implementation? I am sure if you google it, you should find some ideas on how it is done. 
Here is a link I found by simply googling and it sort of explains much and gives one an idea of how it probably works in the back.

http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/academicsupport/informationandadviceonlink2listsreadinglistsoftware/_files/Link2Lists-Getting-Started,-ver.1.6-(academic-staff).pdf
dont mind that kodewrita, i will flog him later. . .
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 5:46am On Jan 01, 2012
Happy New Year guys, May all your pointers lead to blessings, all stacks overflow with positive surprises and all queues with beautiful ladies tongue,
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 01, 2012
Aye, the babes. . .
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by kaboninc(m): 9:40pm On Jan 01, 2012
@Kobo and dhtml, I already have that file. But I'm not talking about the solution but the problem. Its not really a computer science thing. Its the implementation that is the coding part. Do you or anyone here knows about Resource List Management with reference to Link2Lists?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 01, 2012
No i dont. . .
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by kaboninc(m): 8:30am On Jan 02, 2012
*dhtml:

No i dont. . .
Ok. Thanks.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by edogho(m): 1:33pm On Jan 02, 2012
can we be friemds? saturrnite@yahoo.com needs help on programming
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 02, 2012
^^^No, thank you
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Beaf: 6:59pm On Jun 29, 2012
Beaf:

Why na?
I'm good at math and I basically write algorithms for a living; so I'm always looking up math ideas to compliment my code and after years of doing it, it has occurred to me that even highest applied math is very easily and naturally expressed in code. Loops for example, are calculus on steroids; with loops, you could do everything calculus can do and a World of stuff calculus cannot dream off; and its the same in all other areas of math.
In math you have strict grey-bearded conventions, whereas in programming there is a natural and easily comprehensible logical flow.

Because code is written in natural language and algorithms mimic the real World, a programmer can do every last thing a mathematician can do, but a mathematician cannot do the half a programmer can. Therefore, it is better to replace math with programming. In fact it is easy to predict that our grandchildren will not study math, instead they would study scientific computing.

I just want to reiterate the above.

<begin digression>
This thread is one of the few interesting ones still lingering around. Lets have more stuff like this, people.
<end digression>
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by adewaleh(m): 6:22pm On Jul 03, 2012
IbroSaunks: some peeps in my class that are better mathematicians than me find programming tougher than me,
i av a poor maths background, and i av the passion 4 computers and programming... I av friends that score not let than 89 in mathematics and couldn't write a program to solve simple interest equation.. I'm far better, faster than them and understand computer better than them... Mathematics is less involve when it comes to programming.. But going into chip making..
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by ektbear: 9:32am On Jul 04, 2012
A good math background helps.

But the main thing is a willingness to learn.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 6:48pm On Jul 04, 2012
adewaleh: i av a poor maths background, and i av the passion 4 computers and programming... I av friends that score not let than 89 in mathematics and couldn't write a program to solve simple interest equation.. I'm far better, faster than them and understand computer better than them... Mathematics is less involve when it comes to programming.. But going into chip making..

Trying to compare mathematics skills with programming skills shows a clear lack of understanding on your part. Maths skill are not Programming skills. However, having maths skills makes one, not only better at solving serious computationally heavy problems but gives one a better idea of how to design better algorithms to solve such.

A Programmer can understand his if-else and while-loops -- even babies have basic algorithm skills. When a baby starts off learning to walk, after the first couple of steps he starts designing algorithms in his head to help me succeed on later tries. That is easy and what the basic developer out there does. He simply uses these tools, without much thought as to the consequences of one over the other, in his building of, or writing of software.
However writing serious algorithms as a programmer is a completely different ball-game from just putting together your loops and conditionals. It entails thinking of every single line of code(variable, conditional, operation) to ensure you not only write code with maximum but maximal benefit where possible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria / This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria / Junit: How To Set Classpath On Windows Xp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.