Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer (13559 Views)

Nairaland Has Changed My Name From Pc Guru To Pcguru1 / I Don't Need Math / Have Problem Finding My Database; A Java Guru To Assist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by lordZOUGA(m): 7:16pm On Jul 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:
However writing serious algorithms as a programmer is a completely different ball-game from just putting together your simply loops and conditionals.
SERIOUS ALGORITHM is just putting together a bunch of loops and conditionals... Or is there a style of algorithm that doesn't use it?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by paullar: 7:49pm On Jul 04, 2012
you do not have to be a math guru but at least have a deep insight about mathematics.being a guru is another thing on its own and does not necessarily promote deep understanding about programing.In the real sense when starting to program, maybe c++ it appears absurd especially the maths side of it.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On Jul 05, 2012
lordZOUGA:
SERIOUS ALGORITHM is just putting together a bunch of loops and conditionals... Or is there a style of algorithm that doesn't use it?

[size=14pt]WRONG![/size]
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by lordZOUGA(m): 4:06pm On Jul 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

[size=14pt]WRONG![/size]
this doesn't clear a thing... Instances please...
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Jul 05, 2012
lordZOUGA:
this doesn't clear a thing... Instances please...

If you think that serious algorithms are just putting together a bunch of loops and conditionals . . then I say you don't need instances. You need to go back to your Algorithms text here.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by lordZOUGA(m): 5:21pm On Jul 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

If you think that serious algorithms are just putting together a bunch of loops and conditionals . . then I say you don't need instances. You need to go back to your Algorithms text here.
in programming, what kind of algorithm does not require loops and conditionals?? or decision making...?. They might be proved mathematically but to implement them, you must iterate and decide..
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Beaf: 5:39pm On Jul 05, 2012
lordZOUGA:
in programming, what kind of algorithm does not require loops and conditionals?? or decision making...?. They might be proved mathematically but to implement them, you must iterate and decide..

Simple as ABC. cool
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 5:54pm On Jul 05, 2012
lordZOUGA:

I think you have a rather simplistic idea of Algorithms there. If it were really that simple, then companies like google, Amazon, Nokia, Facebook etc. would not need to spend billions of dollars each year, not only hiring experts, but funding projects in universities across the world to help come up with newer and better ways of doing the old things, and new things.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by lordZOUGA(m): 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I think you have a rather simplistic idea of Algorithms there. If it were really that simple, then companies like google, Amazon, Nokia, Facebook etc. would not need to spend billions of dollars each year, not only hiring experts, but funding projects in universities across the world to help come up with newer and better ways of doing the same old things. Like I said, you probably need to hit those textbooks again on this.
you mean designing new algorithms for their developers to implement? Which circles back to this thread's topic... Math and programming. They have a common ground "logic". Which means to say "if you are very good at programming, you CAN be very good at math"
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 7:55pm On Jul 05, 2012
lordZOUGA:
you mean designing new algorithms for their developers to implement? Which circles back to this thread's topic... Math and programming. They have a common ground "logic". Which means to say "if you are very good at programming, you CAN be very good at math"

I am even more convinced that your understanding of algorithms is rather simplistic. You do not need to design new algorithms ... I already made that clear in my last post on this.

There is so much more to algorithms, and the programming of them than what you are insinuating here. Here is small piece on how google constantly looks for ways to change it's search algorithms alone.

http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/23584/How-Google-Constantly-Changes-its-Search-Algorithms-for-the-Better-Video.aspx
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by ektbear: 8:42pm On Jul 05, 2012
Loops and conditions are one way to build algorithms. But recursion, dynamic programming, etc are more.

Anyway, the main things behind algorithms, at least the type you'll study in an academic setting:
1) Running time
2) Correctness

So you need some math to do these things.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 11:47pm On Jul 06, 2012
@ekt_bear ..twitter handle??
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by sigmainfo(m): 7:39am On Oct 26, 2012
When it comes to program a huge application where an app is all based on calculations then you need to have good maths.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by romeo411(m): 11:46pm On May 16, 2020
^^^I completely agree with kobojunkie.
I have seen some great statisfical analytical softwares that some programmers made. Graph API, banking applications, applications like facebook website itself, google search and all that.
Can you immagine for a second if those programmers are not good in mathematics? or those that made this web app - http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcddata.html?ticker=BAC&fq=D&ezd=1W&index=2
Something like microsoft excel for instance is another application i can refer to - at least we all know that.
So it does mean that all of you programmers answering this question in affirmative are all maths gurus?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria / Junit: How To Set Classpath On Windows Xp / How Many Lines Of Code Is Your Largest Work So Far?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.