Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,247 members, 7,815,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? (13629 Views)

A Nigerian Died Because A Racist Malaysian Hospital Refused Him Treatment(Video) / USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? / What Are The Most RACIST Countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by coogar: 2:43pm On Dec 29, 2011
dayorx:

why do people always come on this forum to talk trash, i just tried to book a flight on BA now and all the said was to bring the card used to purchase the ticket to the airport to check in, as far as i know KLM does the same, even if u book train tickets u go to the train station to print the ticket with the credit or debit card u used to purchase the ticket online, abeg make the person wey talk dis rubbish park well jo!!
people should stop yarning rubbish and who said thomas cook wont book u a holiday if uve got your cash and the correct visa to come back to the uk ,,,abeg jo

you are a liar!
show me the link where you paid with your card online on a flight to nigeria!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by dayorx(m): 3:08pm On Dec 29, 2011
@ coogar its nt rocket science, no b today I begin fly wit BA, besides u want me to forward a link showing all my account details u must reali thk am stupid besides its nt my fault if ur ip domain is not trusted,dude u can book a flight frm london or manchester to naija wit ur cc ordc no shaking!
U dint need to caLl me a liar u don't knw me and its reali uncalled for,BA wan pack up?
Y dem no go collect card payment all dem need to c na d card wenu dey board!
Shikena
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by obowunmi(m): 3:30pm On Dec 29, 2011
Dayorx is a liar.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 4:52pm On Dec 29, 2011
baby-boy:

You mean Billing Address?
nope, not 'billing address' but your nationality!

sauer:

yea! I know you are thinking upsidedown. I said British with Nigerian Nationality, meaning if you are a Nigerian granted British citizenship, you are British but not necessarily English, Scotish, Irish or Walsh! , hmmmmm get it now

Guk:

There is no point in making a mountain out of a molehill. Its simply a precautionary measure and its not restricted to BA alone.

A few days ago, i tried to pay for the purchase of a software in India using a Barclays Debit card but becos i put Nigeria as the location where the software will be used, it gave me this message: "Due to legal restrictions, we cannot accept registrations from residents of nigeria"

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

Pakistanis experience same worldwide too
If I may add, this is some what different from the BA issue. Software usage in certain parts of the world have legal issues that would sometimes prevent the user from using it in certain parts of the world. It is not because you were going to use it in Nigeria, somehow it may be due to legislation by the Indian Government to protect their intellectual property right mainly because Nigeria and other countries may not have signed a declaration that would protect patents and rights so obtained in India and so enforce them when violated.

dayorx:

why do people always come on this forum to talk trash, i just tried to book a flight on BA now and all the said was to bring the card used to purchase the ticket to the airport to check in, as far as i know KLM does the same, even if u book train tickets u go to the train station to print the ticket with the credit or debit card u used to purchase the ticket online, abeg make the person wey talk dis rubbish park well jo!!
people should stop yarning rubbish and who said thomas cook wont book u a holiday if uve got your cash and the correct visa to come back to the uk ,,,abeg jo
Disgruntled element. Why not attempt to book a flight on BA.com and see the result fro yourself when you select your nationality. FYI, this issue has been verified and the necessary steps is being taken to address the relevant concerns with BA, and if need be, legal action may follow.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by ebam(m): 5:48pm On Dec 29, 2011
To be honest its hard to investigate if this is true unless you actually want to fly.

I am sure it is not very easy just to get a refund for flight of say £400 if it actually goes through,
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Kollage(m): 6:15pm On Dec 29, 2011
they fear Nigerians simple, tuface said we re a group of very sharp guys dat notwithstanding d corruption in a very bad issue dat has stigmatised us even those re-branding us has cockroaches in dea cupboard!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by coogar: 6:25pm On Dec 29, 2011
dayorx:

@ coogar its nt rocket science, no b today I begin fly wit BA, besides u want me to forward a link showing all my account details u must reali thk am silly besides its nt my fault if your ip domain is not trusted,dude u can book a flight frm london or manchester to naija wit your cc ordc no shaking!

you are a miserable sod!

when did b-a start storing account details of passengers on their website? all i asked is to show a link on their website where they take details of flights leaving nigeria to any destination in the world and you are spewing megedefegede.

if you are not armed with facts, you need to shut up and stop polluting the atmosphere with lies and fables.
you would be asked to go and pay cash or other alternative methods of payment.

U dint need to caLl me a liar u don't knw me and its reali uncalled for,BA wan pack up?
Y dem no go collect card payment all dem need to c na d card wenu dey board!
Shikena

they won't take card payment from you online. you can take that to the bank.
using travel agents to fly on b-a and paying via card to the agents is quite different from going on the b-a website to book for tickets departing from nigeria.
i can see you are confused and you have never bought a ticket on the british airways website ever before.

i reiterate you are a white elephant liar!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by ebam(m): 6:38pm On Dec 29, 2011
You can bet some msnagement consultant told them
They would be better off too bar all Nigerian card payments. Since it reduces overall risk of fraud.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by MissEZ(f): 7:16pm On Dec 29, 2011
I dont think they refuse credit card from Nigerians cos i always fly BA, but like every other international airline, you cannot use a credit card to book your flight from Nigeria. In order words if your point of origin is Nigeria, you have to pay cash at the airlines booking office. As far as i know, delta/klm, BA all follow this procedure, reason being that credit/debit cards are not a huge part of the way we transact business in the country. If you buy a round trip ticket on any of these flights from a different origination point outside Nigeria, they will not refuse your card. Atleast this has always been my experience
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 7:21pm On Dec 29, 2011
Miss EZ:

I dont think they refuse credit card from Nigerians cos i always fly BA, but like every other international airline, you cannot use a credit card to book your flight from Nigeria. In order words if your point of origin is Nigeria, you have to pay cash at the airlines booking office. As far as i know, delta/klm, BA all follow this procedure, reason being that credit/debit cards are not a huge part of the way we transact business in the country. If you buy a round trip ticket on any of these flights from a different origination point outside Nigeria, they will not refuse your card. Atleast this has always been my experience
Yea, that was my logical conclusion, but then I asked myself the question, why would my place of orgin as per my flight departure be the main determinant to me using my Debit Card issued in the UK by a top notch bank with global reach? I mean its a VISA card that was used by someone I know whose payment was declined and I thought, but VISA and Mastreo cards are used widely in Nigeria.

If I were to book my hotel reservation in any of the top notch hotels in Abuja or Lagos, my VISA card is accepted, so why not BA, KLM and their likes?
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by coogar: 7:27pm On Dec 29, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Yea, that was my logical conclusion, but then I asked myself the question, why would my place of orgin as per my flight departure be the main determinant to me using my Debit Card issued in the UK by a top notch bank with global reach? I mean its a VISA card that was used by someone I know whose payment was declined and I thought, but VISA and Mastreo cards are used widely in Nigeria.

If I were to book my hotel reservation in any of the top notch hotels in Abuja or Lagos, my VISA card is accepted, so why not BA, KLM and their likes?

nigerians have defrauded the system and they have decided to cut their losses by asking people to go and pay cash elsewhere.
if you are persistent, they simply ask you to bring your card to their counter at the airport and pay right there.
i don't blame them. . . . . i blame the unscrupulous nigerians who have made the venture a business.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 7:35pm On Dec 29, 2011
coogar:

nigerians have defrauded the system and they have decided to cut their losses by asking people to go and pay cash elsewhere.
if you are persistent, they simply ask you to bring your card to their counter at the airport and pay right there.
i don't blame them. . . . . i blame the unscrupulous nigerians who have made the venture a business.
I am not saying your are wrong, but some how, some unscrupulous Nigerians may have done certain untold things to BA as per using their flight but I get worried when companies like BA with know discriminating records carry out a blanket policy roll over without providing the necessary reasons for doing so. I am not saying BA should issue a notice of warning to every tom and harry regarding policy choice of the company, however, I think it will do BA no harm to put up a clarification to that effect on their website. Like someone already told me, intending passengers from Pakistan also face similar discriminating measures.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by coogar: 7:40pm On Dec 29, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I am not saying your are wrong, but some how, some unscrupulous Nigerians may have done certain untold things to BA as per using their flight but I get worried when companies like BA with know discriminating records carry out a blanket policy roll over without providing the necessary reasons for doing so. I am not saying BA should issue a notice of warning to every tom and harry regarding policy choice of the company, however, I think it will do BA no harm to put up a clarification to that effect on their website. Like someone already told me, intending passengers from Pakistan also face similar discriminating measures.

well. . . .their flight, their rules.
i am more concerned a giant like nigeria does not have it's own national airline.
that to me is a disgrace. if countries like ghana, kenya, etc can maintain a decent airline, why can't nigeria?

we deserve everything we get from these foreign airlines.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 7:49pm On Dec 29, 2011
coogar:

well. . . .their flight, their rules.
i am more concerned a giant like nigeria does not have it's own national airline.
that to me is a disgrace. if countries like ghana, kenya, etc can maintain a decent airline, why can't nigeria?

we deserve everything we get from these foreign airlines.
well talking about national carrier, that was an issue I actually discussed with the person I flew with recently. Although, I do not see as a disgrace that Nigeria does not have one as no Tier 1 Nation currently has a National carrier currently owned by the Nation state 100%. BA, KLM, AIRFRANCE, JAL, are owned by PPP and that is model Nigeria should adopt. FG should own 40% while Nigerian investors would own 45% and 5% stake for intending workers of the airline and 10% foriegn investor fund.

Please do not mention Ghana, hope you know GA is under EU watch for black listing . Yes Kenya, Ethiopia and SA are a model even outside of Africa but need I tell you that they exist because of PPP ?
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by coogar: 7:56pm On Dec 29, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

well talking about national carrier, that was an issue I actually discussed with the person I flew with recently. Although, I do not see as a disgrace that Nigeria does not have one as no Tier 1 Nation currently has a National carrier currently owned by the Nation state 100%. BA, KLM, AIRFRANCE, JAL, are owned by PPP and that is model Nigeria should adopt. FG should own 40% while Nigerian investors would own 45% and 5% stake for intending workers of the airline and 10% foriegn investor fund.

ppp or not. . . .nigeria should have a national carrier.

Please do not mention Ghana, hope you know GA is under EU watch for black listing . Yes Kenya, Ethiopia and SA are a model even outside of Africa but need I tell you that they exist because of PPP ?

because ghana has been infiltrated by nigerians and other drug cartels who now use this route to traffic hard drugs.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by biolabee(m): 8:19pm On Dec 29, 2011
i paid for extra luggage on their website as far back as july & october
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by dayorx(m): 9:11pm On Dec 29, 2011
@ cougar na wa o! I live in d uk and as far as I know, if ur route is london-lagos-london, ur card would be accepted! Cos I dey fly BA steady, but if it is lagos-london-lagos ii don't know bout that one because my trip has neva originated from lagos before!
D only tin they do is charge like an extra £4.50 because ure using a card or if u use paypal to pay!

U go just come here dey insult person! U can pass ur message wiithout insulting someone, my point is from experience!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 9:16pm On Dec 29, 2011
coogar:

ppp or not. . . .nigeria should have a national carrier.

because ghana has been infiltrated by nigerians and other drug cartels who now use this route to traffic hard drugs.
Okay this is the sort of off the head thinking I feel Nigeria should avoid in today's world, yea! You need to ask yourself yea, why did Nigeria Airways go under? Listen mate, it's not really about having a National carrier, but its about having one that works and works for the citizenry. The way to go in todays world is through PPP- Meaning, you can't get a group of politrickians who would convert everything to their use with the blink of the eyes.-

Blaming Nigerians for the dearth of Ghanian's national carrier is just a new low me thinks! Aircraft  business is not child's play mate, okies. You need top notch management, with sound foresight and skills to get it going.

Looking at the Nigerian political class today, having a wholly 100% FG National carrier would mean utter abuse by those in power or those close to them as they would get 'waivers' like they do in all things owned by the FG.!

biolabee:

i paid for extra luggage on their website as far back as july & october

Yea, that's the weird part of it. When it comes to paying for excess lauggage, they take your CC or DB as if your lauggage isn't originating from Nigeria too like your flight that they are refusing to allow  payment for using your CC or DB!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 9:19pm On Dec 29, 2011
dayorx:

@ cougar na wa o! I live in d uk and as far as I know, if your route is london-lagos-london, your card would be accepted! Cos I dey fly BA steady, but if it is lagos-london-lagos ii don't know bout that one because my trip has neva originated from lagos before!
D only tin they do is charge like an extra £4.50 because ure using a card or if u use paypal to pay!

U go just come here dey insult person! U can pass your message wiithout insulting someone, my point is from experience!
you'r are right actually, LHR-LOS-LHR, yep card goes through if you put your nationality as other than Nigerian. LOS-LHR-LOS, forget it, you are paying in cash! Dunno if Arik does accept card payments, why not BA?
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by coogar: 9:30pm On Dec 29, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Okay this is the sort of off the head thinking I feel Nigeria should avoid in today's world, yea! You need to ask yourself yea, why did Nigeria Airways go under? Listen mate, it's not really about having a National carrier, but its about having one that works and works for the citizenry. The way to go in todays world is through PPP- Meaning, you can't get a group of politrickians who would convert everything to their use with the blink of the eyes.-

we are saying the same thing, hombre. . . .
why can't we have a national carrier that works like many of the other african countries?

Blaming Nigerians for the dearth of Ghanian's national carrier is just a new low me thinks! Aircraft  business is not child's play mate, okies. You need top notch management, with sound foresight and skills to get it going.

since the death of nigerian airways and virgin nigeria.
ghana became the hotspot for drug mules to traffic their goods.

Looking at the Nigerian political class today, having a wholly 100% FG National carrier would mean utter abuse by those in power or those close to them as they would get 'waivers' like they do in all things owned by the FG.!

i am not saying the federal government should own 100%. they should just get a national carrier that works and that is effective.
how they go about it shouldn't be my headache. if ghana and ethiopia can manage it with their limited resources, then we should be able to manage one as well.

dayorx:

@ cougar na wa o! I live in d uk and as far as I know, if your route is london-lagos-london, your card would be accepted! Cos I dey fly BA steady, but if it is lagos-london-lagos ii don't know bout that one because my trip has neva originated from lagos before!

U go just come here dey insult person! U can pass your message wiithout insulting someone, my point is from experience!

i didn't insult you na. . . . .i only corrected you when you said people come online to spew jargons.
since you now accept you dunno about lagos-london-lagos trip then we should just take it that you are clueless about the other side of the coin.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by dayorx(m): 2:36am On Dec 30, 2011
@ omo_tier1 abeg help me enlighten coogar o!, BA will everly collect CC payment online if u r traveling from the uk to naija or any where else, the reason is simple ur payment can be confirmed and the financial services sector is highly regulated thus u cant have a CC or DC without a proper address and identity can be verified same cannot be said of naija, how can u expect them to collect such payment if a transaction goes wrong which law governs the regulation of such transaction ? is it the uk law or naija law since Nigeria is not a signatory to most international treaties that govern such transactions , it goes beyond BA its a naija factor as usual,
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Nobody: 3:40am On Dec 30, 2011
lipsrsealed
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by cork2059: 3:52am On Dec 30, 2011
Why should they accept Credit Cards from thieves? Would you accept Credit Cards from Nigerians? Yes, we---the Corks---know that not all Nigerians are thieves, but the majority are.

Do not mess with the Corks.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Freesia(f): 5:16am On Dec 30, 2011
I just thought they were following protocol when they asked me about my nationality while booking my flight Online sometime last year.
A good friend of mine holds dual citizenship and flies BA Frequently her route is normally London -Lagos -London will enquire if she has had any wahala with them.
Somebody enlighten me what does PPP mean,I saw it mentioned a few times above,Thanks
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 10:45am On Dec 30, 2011
dayorx:

@ omo_tier1 abeg help me enlighten coogar o!, BA will everly collect CC payment online if u r traveling from the uk to naija or any where else, the reason is simple your payment can be confirmed and [b]the financial services sector is highly regulated thus u cant have a CC or DC without a proper address and identity can be verified same cannot be said of naija, how can u expect them to collect such payment if a transaction goes wrong which law governs the regulation of such transaction ? [/b]is it the uk law or naija law since Nigeria is not a signatory to most international treaties that govern such transactions , it goes beyond BA its a naija factor as usual,
The submission above smacks of a complete LACK of understanding of how e-payment system works. While your point is taken, to say that Nigeria does not have a robost Financial Regulatory System in place is completely untrue. In fact, Nigeria has a better Financial Services regulator than the UK. Beside, CC identity theif that occurs in the UK every year is in their BILLIONS of Naira.

To also say Nigeria is not a signatory to most international treaties that govern such transactions is a complete lie! Gosh where on planent earth do you live mate Go figure out on the CBN, SEC websites.

Do you realize that you can pay for flight on Arik air to London, New-York, Jo, burgh and for flights within Nigeria using a Credit or a Debit card issued by Visa, Master, American Express? Are these not the major cards used by vast majority of the global retail markets?

Like I said in my previous post, when companies roll out blanket policy without leaving room for explanation, they create room for speculation anf that is exactly what BA has done. There is nothing absolutely wrong if BA comes out and say, hey we do not accept CC or DB cards from Nigeria or from Flights originating from Nigeria because of AYZ. Then those of us that believe so much in this country can make up our mind if the reasons be so valid and if there are things we could do to make sure the concerns of BA are addressed.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 10:58am On Dec 30, 2011
Freesia:

I just thought they were following protocol when they asked me about my nationality while booking my flight Online sometime last year.
A good friend of mine holds dual citizenship and flies BA Frequently her route is normally London -Lagos -London will enquire if she has had any wahala with them.
Somebody enlighten me what does PPP mean,I saw it mentioned a few times above,Thanks
PPP means PRIVATE PUBLIC PARTNERSHIP OR PUBLIC PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP. Basically, it an arrangement in which funding/technical assistance for a particular project is undertaken by both the government and the organized private sector in a joint venture arrangment.

It is most beneficial to the organized private sector wanting to undertake huge projects that could be affected by a sudden change in government legislation, or where the goverment lacks the financial or technical prowess to undertake a project with associated risks. There are various format it could take, but I guess this simple explanation answers your question.

So in the case of the National carrier issue, since floating a National carrier would involve billions of dollars, sound technical and business minds, then it makes sense that the FG teaming up with the OPS in a 40-60 partnership can give a back to the OPS to borrow money in the form of letter of credit, help fix up any regulation that may adversely affect the smooth running of the airline and make amends where necessary to existing legislation to allow the business to run smoothly. The OPS on the other hand, will bring their own technical know-how into bear in the day to day management of the airline.

Somehow, many people are not aware that BA is not wholly owned by the British government, it has since been sold off but the government still have a minority controlling stake in BA. Currently, the IAG (International Airline Group) that also owns Iberia Airline of Spain currently owns BA. BA initially suffered similar fate as NA because the model that they were using to operate it was out-dated, and really does not fit the Aviation world! Hence the had to get the OPS in and even at this point BA is still running on a huge operating loss to the tune of over £150m every year.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by AjanleKoko: 11:44am On Dec 30, 2011
Strange.
I used a Visa that's domiciled in Nigeria to book a flight for an associate flying from Barcelona to London on BA, a couple of weeks ago.
The VISA is issued by a Nigerian bank.
I used a VISA issued by another Nigerian bank to book a BA flight, back in 2009, from London to Baltimore. Not even Lagos to London.
Both trips I booked from within Nigeria, so I am surprised to hear this.

Though sometimes, the Naija cards do fall hand. Some merchants accept them while some do not. Residual issues caused by 419/yahoo. But I still endeavor to use my VISA or Mastercard issued in Nigeria every time I travel. Works most times.

Anyways, I hardly fly BA, and have not since that 2009 trip. Strange because Air France/KLM, and even Delta, accept Nigerian cards for payment.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Freesia(f): 10:56pm On Dec 30, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

PPP means PRIVATE PUBLIC PARTNERSHIP OR PUBLIC PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP. Basically, it an arrangement in which funding/technical assistance for a particular project is undertaken by both the government and the organized private sector in a joint venture arrangment.

It is most beneficial to the organized private sector wanting to undertake huge projects that could be affected by a sudden change in government legislation, or where the goverment lacks the financial or technical prowess to undertake a project with associated risks. There are various format it could take, but I guess this simple explanation answers your question.

So in the case of the National carrier issue, since floating a National carrier would involve billions of dollars, sound technical and business minds, then it makes sense that the FG teaming up with the OPS in a 40-60 partnership can give a back to the OPS to borrow money in the form of letter of credit, help fix up any regulation that may adversely affect the smooth running of the airline and make amends where necessary to existing legislation to allow the business to run smoothly. The OPS on the other hand, will bring their own technical know-how into bear in the day to day
management of the airline.

Somehow, many people are not aware that BA is not wholly owned by the British government, it has since been sold off but the government still have a minority controlling stake in BA. Currently, the IAG (International Airline Group) that also owns Iberia Airline of Spain currently owns BA. BA initially suffered similar fate as NA because the model that they were using to operate it was out-dated, and really does not fit the Aviation world! Hence the had to get the OPS in and even at this point BA is still running on a huge operating loss to the tune of over £150m every year.

Wow !!! Thanks for the detailed explanation.What you're saying is now making sense.
BA have caused so many strikes in the last few years.I was wondering how they were coping
Would PPP also be called a parastatal?

Why is Air Nigeria which is owned by both the State and Private Investors not doing well?
Kenya Airways & Ethiopian Airlines have now invested in new local Carriers in Accra & Togo respectively.Hopefully the Nigerian government will appreciate the economic benefits that aviation brings to a country because this BA/KLM mess that Nigerians are going through is not funny!!!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 2:30am On Dec 31, 2011
Freesia:

Wow !!! Thanks for the detailed explanation.What you're saying is now making sense.
BA have caused so many strikes in the last few years.I was wondering how they were coping
Would PPP also be called a parastatal?

Why is Air Nigeria which is owned by both the State and Private Investors not doing well?
Kenya Airways & Ethiopian Airlines have now invested in new local Carriers in Accra & Togo respectively.Hopefully the Nigerian government will appreciate the economic benefits that aviation brings to a country because this BA/KLM mess that Nigerians are going through is not funny!!!
PPP is just a joint venture, and can be handled on behalf of the FG, State or Local government by any of their agency or Parastatal or Ministry. For example, the OKNLG Liquid to Gas project in the oil sector is a PPP project between the FG/NNPC and some technical partners and the ministry of Petroleum resources supervises the PPP agreement on behalf of the FG to make sure their own part of the bargain is realized.

Air Nigeria is actually Privately owed now with Jimoh Ibrahim of formally NICON Airways, NICON Insurance (also formally FG owned but sold to him for peanuts) but is HUGELY financed by UBA. So do not be surprised if UBA goes to press to tell you Air Nigeria belongs to the as this has happened before 'cos Jimoh could not service the debt owed UBA.

Air Nigeria, do not forget is the rebranded Virgin Nigeria which is the left over fraudulent foot print of Sir Richard Brandson's Virgin Atlantic when Obasanjo invited him over to help float a National Carrier for Nigeria. Instead, Branson with His gang of technical crooks, took advantage of that deal to fleece the Nigerian state, borrowed huge money from UBA and their financial partner in Singapore, embarked on ambitions and too fleepy routes expansion that really never had high yield factor e.g. flying Lagso to London-Gatwick daily, Lagos to Jo, Burgh daily and the result was huge operating cost for Virgin Nigeria with less revenue, hence no able to break even with cost soaring. Richard Branson and His gang of technical crooks pulled out of the joint venture agreement, FG was left biting her fingers really hard, and the obvious option left was for the FG to sell off her 40% stake in Virgin Nigeria to the OPS, which Jimoh Ibrahim bought, rebranded it initially with his NICON Airways and Finally Air Nigeria. They currently are financed by UBA, and seems to be doing relatively okay on Local and Regional routes even as they hope to resume their international flights as they still ahve their London and South Africa routes, as they only suspended their operations for the time being.

The truth be told, Aviation is hugely captical intensive and if you ask me, the FG should only set up a National carrier under a PPP arrangement with a crop of local and foriegn technical partners. FG can own 40% stake in the PPP arrangement as I explained earlier and this would give them enough power within the agreement to make quick interventions when things go awry. Rather than investing a whooping $2bn in refinary in Malaysia, FG can expend only $1.5bn of that sums in a PPP arrangment with counter funding from OPS an retrieving all the Nigeria airways property sold for peanuts from those that bought them, reviving them and calling back home all our aviation experts that have relocated to the Far-East and Asia, recruiting those already heading towards the emerging aviation markets in Africa. This wll bring more revenue to the FG in form of taxes and put food on the table of man. Imagine a Nigeria Wings with over 140 state of the art fleets of Aircraft, thats like employing over 10,000 to 20,000 people through direct or indirect labour in Nigeria alone! Given how Nigerians travel widely, especially within the sub sahara continent, then that might even mean more higher direct labour work force due to route expansion. Lets not talk of the trade anf commerce that would follow from the direct market access these routes would create for the local economy in the two connecting countries!

Enough said, we have wicked leadership that care less about others but more about their pockets! it's a no brainer that our current position in Africa should mean more jobs for our people back home through leveraging of the markets of other countries under out belt!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by dancewith: 12:58pm On Dec 31, 2011
Interesting this

Never knew. But I know for a fact BA used to accept Nigerian Issued debit cards on Lagos to anywhere route. I used this option in 2008 to fly LAG-LON-BWI

I do not know about now

Just so we learn. Some PPP are joint ventures (eg the type NNPC does and the current arrangement Lagos state has with LCC over the Lekki toll collections

Some PPP are not joint ventures (eg the BA deal with IAG, the moribond transcorp deal etc)

Joint ventures are for a defined period and are determined once terminal life is reached.

Happy new year folks
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 1:11pm On Dec 31, 2011
dancewith:

Interesting this

Never knew. But I know for a fact BA used to accept Nigerian Issued debit cards on Lagos to anywhere route. I used this option in 2008 to fly LAG-LON-BWI

I do not know about now

Just so we learn. Some PPP are joint ventures (eg the type NNPC does and the current arrangement Lagos state has with LCC over the Lekki toll collections

Some PPP are not joint ventures (eg the BA deal with IAG, the moribond transcorp deal etc)

Joint ventures are for a defined period and are determined once terminal life is reached.

Happy new year folks
Point of correction, BA is NOT in a PPP with IAG. IAG owns BA, that the FACT. BA merger with Iberia automatically resulted in IAG being the owner of BA, Iberia and others with Willie Walsh, BA chief Executive being appointed to head the IAG restructuring and future growth for their airliners.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by dancewith: 8:55am On Jan 01, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Point of correction, BA is NOT in a PPP with IAG. IAG owns BA, that the FACT. BA merger with Iberia automatically resulted in IAG being the owner of BA, Iberia and others with Willie Walsh, BA chief Executive being appointed to head the IAG restructuring and future growth for their airliners.

Point taken

As long as BA is jointed owned by public and private interests it qualifies for PPP. What IAG is referred to in this case is a core investor and automatically becomes the owner

my point is on the definition of the economic term 'joint venture' which occurred regularly in the course of the detailed and informative write ups you gave above.

for those with non economic background, it is easy for them to assume that whenever private and public bodies partner for economic projects it qualifies to be called a joint venture. Not necessarily unless there is a defined terminal life to the partnership

Happy new year to all of you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Qatar Airways To Start Operations In Enugu, Kano, Port Harcourt Airports / LASTMA Announces Diversions & Road Closures For Buhari's Visit To Lagos / Geoffrey Onyeama: US May Lift Travel Ban In One Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.