Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? (13628 Views)

A Nigerian Died Because A Racist Malaysian Hospital Refused Him Treatment(Video) / USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? / What Are The Most RACIST Countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by joxiri: 12:06pm On Jan 01, 2012
A way round this would be to book tickets using opodo it would be slightly cheaper than the ba website anyways and you would get your ticket
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Freesia(f): 7:05am On Jan 04, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

PPP is just a joint venture, and can be handled on behalf of the FG, State or Local government by any of their agency or Parastatal or Ministry. For example, the OKNLG Liquid to Gas project in the oil sector is a PPP project between the FG/NNPC and some technical partners and the ministry of Petroleum resources supervises the PPP agreement on behalf of the FG to make sure their own part of the bargain is realized.

Air Nigeria is actually Privately owed now with Jimoh Ibrahim of formally NICON Airways, NICON Insurance (also formally FG owned but sold to him for peanuts) but is HUGELY financed by UBA. So do not be surprised if UBA goes to press to tell you Air Nigeria belongs to the as this has happened before 'cos Jimoh could not service the debt owed UBA.

Air Nigeria, do not forget is the rebranded Virgin Nigeria which is the left over fraudulent foot print of Sir Richard Brandson's Virgin Atlantic when Obasanjo invited him over to help float a National Carrier for Nigeria. Instead, Branson with His gang of technical crooks, took advantage of that deal to fleece the Nigerian state, borrowed huge money from UBA and their financial partner in Singapore, embarked on ambitions and too fleepy routes expansion that really never had high yield factor e.g. flying Lagso to London-Gatwick daily, Lagos to Jo, Burgh daily and the result was huge operating cost for Virgin Nigeria with less revenue, hence no able to break even with cost soaring. Richard Branson and His gang of technical crooks pulled out of the joint venture agreement, FG was left biting her fingers really hard, and the obvious option left was for the FG to sell off her 40% stake in Virgin Nigeria to the OPS, which Jimoh Ibrahim bought, rebranded it initially with his NICON Airways and Finally Air Nigeria. They currently are financed by UBA, and seems to be doing relatively okay on Local and Regional routes even as they hope to resume their international flights as they still ahve their London and South Africa routes, as they only suspended their operations for the time being.

The truth be told, Aviation is hugely captical intensive and if you ask me, the FG should only set up a National carrier under a PPP arrangement with a crop of local and foriegn technical partners. FG can own 40% stake in the PPP arrangement as I explained earlier and this would give them enough power within the agreement to make quick interventions when things go awry.  Rather than investing a whooping $2bn in refinary in Malaysia, FG can expend only $1.5bn of that sums in a PPP arrangment with counter funding from OPS an retrieving all the Nigeria airways property sold for peanuts from those that bought them, reviving them and calling back home all our aviation experts that have relocated to the Far-East and Asia, recruiting those already heading towards the emerging aviation markets in Africa. This wll bring more revenue to the FG in form of taxes and put food on the table of man. Imagine a Nigeria Wings with over 140 state of the art fleets of Aircraft, thats like employing over 10,000 to 20,000 people through direct or indirect labour in Nigeria alone! Given how Nigerians travel widely, especially within the sub sahara continent, then that might even mean more higher direct labour work force due to route expansion. Lets not talk of the trade anf commerce that would follow from the direct market access these routes would create for the local economy in the two connecting countries!

Enough said, we have wicked leadership that care less about others but more about their pockets! it's a no brainer that our current position in Africa should mean more jobs for our people back home through leveraging of the markets of other countries under out belt!

Omo_Tier1 that is quite informative a big thank you
In regards to flying locally in Nigeria I noticed the extremely well to do business men/women hardly fly commercial but do private.Could reliability be playing the big role here apart from having a lot of money of course?
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 8:22am On Jan 04, 2012
Freesia:

Omo_Tier1 that is quite informative a big thank you
In regards to flying locally in Nigeria I noticed the extremely well to do business men/women hardly fly commercial but do private.Could reliability be playing the big role here apart from having a lot of money of course?
I think it is more of a class thing than it is of safety. On the record, it may occur to you that since 2005, there has not been any 'Major' air disaster after Nigeria decided to embrace Aviation with the 'Iron Fist' of Safety it deserves.

In addition to the 'class' aspect, the seemingly lack of proper connectivity of the different airports/Airstrips in the country by the Commercial airliners means Business travellers savour Private jets which can take them very much closer to their destination.

With the exception of a few, (in fact in the 5% bracket of the operators currently) most of the 'Aeroplane' flying the Nigeria airspace used locally for commercial aviation within the 'very safe' margin of Flight Cycle and Flight Hours. Arik Air for example, I understand has their average fleet age a 8years, which is pretty impressive considering the fact that an Aircraft's first major overhaul is usally around 10years unless there is an in-service retrofit demanded by the OEM. Mind you aircraft are designed to 'live' a useful life of 25years on the average with a 'pass by date' of 30years.

With all that haven been said, Air safety goes beyond equipment alone, as the human angle has been found to be largely responsible to much of the Air crash the world has witnessed. In fact, the statistics showed that 80% of crash recorded from the date records begans were due to human error. I am glad Pilots in Nigeria now have agressive training and development programme in place and failure to adhere strictly to it means your license will either be suspended outrightly or withdrawn entirely!

Again, there has been noticeable improvements in navigational infrastructure within the Nigeria airspace and this improvement is still on-going, one of the very few credits one can allude to the Obasanjo government.

In summary, let me say that Commercial aviation in Nigeria today is far more safer than it was five years ago. The fact that Nigeria airliners currently dominate the West African Skies also means they are left with no option than to keep SAFETY as their breastplate otherwise they may get the hammer in those countries they fly to even if Nigeria refuse to do anything.

So in my own opinion, keep flying locally if you can afford it, I have flown Arik locally, Aero, Air Nigeria, and my experience hasn't been that bad except for their customer service which they need to improve vastly.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by AjanleKoko: 9:39am On Jan 04, 2012
A good way to beat this is to stop flying BA, and fly Arik, poor customer service and all.
We need to support our own, period. If we don't like Arik's customer service, we can engage them constructively. Sometimes sef, we the educated elite of Nigeria can be real nit-pickers. A very senior Oyinbo in my office (American) told he he flies Arik to New York regularly, and enjoys himself very well. Mind you, he didn't fly First, he flew business, and once flew economy.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 9:54am On Jan 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

A good way to beat this is to stop flying BA, and fly Arik, poor customer service and all.
We need to support our own, period. If we don't like Arik's customer service, we can engage them constructively. Sometimes sef, we the educated elite of Nigeria can be real nit-pickers. A very senior Oyinbo in my office (American) told he he flies Arik to New York regularly, and enjoys himself very well. Mind you, he didn't fly First, he flew business, and once flew economy.
My London-Nigeria-London journey lately was on Arik. I tell you the picture is not as bad as people paint it here on NL or other websites. Locally they may have very serious issues with Customer service, but much of the staff on their International desk were more welcoming than BA staff. The journey to and from Nigeria was far better than I had imagined with the exception of the In flight entertainment for the aircraft was turned off. Again, that also happens on BA flights, so it really is not big deal.

Food wise, the meals were okay, vast improvement when I first flew Arik from London to Lagos. So yea you are right, if we continue to patronize the likes of BA, the likes of Arik would never truly 'grow up' and we truly need to support them! I was also keen to observe that 60% of the Air crew on the Arik air flight were Nigerians.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by AjanleKoko: 10:02am On Jan 04, 2012
^^
My bro, that's what real patriotism is all about. Rather than carrying nose, we should support those people that even made an effort to ensure that our flag is flown where carriers congregate.
I have a Senegalese consultant who told me he is much appreciative of Arik, Air Nigeria, and Aero. His Dakar to Lagos sorties have been made so much easier, unlike in 2008 when he flew Air France to Paris and then to Lagos!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by DisGuy: 2:38pm On Jan 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

international lfights are usually not as disruptive as their local service, the stories of 7 hour flights delays, complicated refunds procedure, aggressive staff plenty

their international flight is like others really
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Freesia(f): 6:45am On Jan 05, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I second that,No matter how bad BA will ever get the Brits are always packed on that plane going to whatever destination.
During the strikes about 2 years ago a previous boss of mine who has flown with BA for over 20 years cancelled his vacation when they told him he had an option to fly with another European carrier.

Omo_Tier1:

Mind you aircraft are designed to 'live' a useful life of 25years on the average with a 'pass by date' of 30years.

Previously on my trip from LHR to IAD I could swear that BA flight was going on 50 Years lol it was one old machine.

Somebody I know hasn't stopped talking about her humiliating experience with Emirates last year. She said as soon as they landed Dubai from NY,the connecting flight she took to Lagos  from Dubai was a transformation she couldn't believe,first of all the staff dressed down from their elegant outfits to something she couldn't explain and the aircraft looked a mess.
She now flies Arik from NY direct to Lagos she's just happy to save time and not deal with layovers and connecting flights.We shall continue to be humiliated to understand how to patronize our own carriers unfortunately
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by obowunmi(m): 6:58am On Jan 05, 2012
I love Arik Air. Love them.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 11:15am On Jan 05, 2012
Dis Guy:

international lfights are usually not as disruptive as their local service, the stories of 7 hour flights delays, complicated refunds procedure, aggressive staff plenty

their international flight is like others really
I think it is down to several factors some of which are beyond Arik Air. When you have a country where "Presidential movement" can lock down an airport for as long as 1Hr.30mins, or where Airport is like the Waitrose shop in Heathrow or Manchester airports and you want to cram hundreds of people and lauggage into it, how on earth will flights boarding and departure be orderly?

When I flew them locally last december, i.e., Arik, they had to delay the flight by 1Hr, but they could not explain to the intending travellers why they had to delay it, and they were unable to say if the next flight would even take-off. But at the end it did and the flight boarding and departure was exactly 1Hr after the actual departure time.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by obowunmi(m): 2:29pm On Jan 05, 2012
That probably explains why they are in so much debt.
You are fined almost 500,000 per hour for delaying your flight. Arik must be raking up these fines. I personally, have never had problems with them.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 3:36pm On Jan 05, 2012
obowunmi:

That probably explains why they are in so much debt.
You are fined almost 500,000 per hour for delaying your flight. Arik must be raking up these fines. I personally, have never had problems with them.
Really I think they do not pay for these delays, as much of it is caused by FAAN and NAMA failure to maintain the airports.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by AjanleKoko: 9:25am On Jan 06, 2012
Freesia:

Previously on my trip from LHR to IAD I could swear that BA flight was going on 50 Years lol it was one old machine.

Somebody I know hasn't stopped talking about her humiliating experience with Emirates last year. She said as soon as they landed Dubai from NY,the connecting flight she took to Lagos  from Dubai was a transformation she couldn't believe,first of all the staff dressed down from their elegant outfits to something she couldn't explain and the aircraft looked a mess.
She now flies Arik from NY direct to Lagos she's just happy to save time and not deal with layovers and connecting flights.We shall continue to be humiliated to understand how to patronize our own carriers unfortunately

Haba, Emirates is a very professional airline. The only thing is, they shed all their headgear and stuff on the DXB-LOS flight. You can't blame them for that. I wonder if she took the 7am flight to Lagos. I always avoid that flight, and opt for the 2.15pm instead. The early morning flight is usually packed. But, man . . . flying NY to Dubai and then to Lagos? No wonder she was cranky. That's a 14 hour hike in one direction, and another 8 hours back in the same direction shocked

Though i think it's not the airline. All flights inbound Lagos from anywhere is always chaos, caused mostly by the passengers.
Excess cabin luggage, irritable children, etc . . . I can't think of any flight I have taken inbound Lagos that has not been full of chaos. But I like Emirates. Well, I have to fly them a lot, anyway wink
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by obowunmi(m): 9:52am On Jan 06, 2012
I like Emirates too!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Freesia(f): 8:39am On Jan 07, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Haba, Emirates is a very professional airline. The only thing is, they shed all their headgear and stuff on the DXB-LOS flight. You can't blame them for that. I wonder if she took the 7am flight to Lagos. I always avoid that flight, and opt for the 2.15pm instead. The early morning flight is usually packed. But, man . . . flying NY to Dubai and then to Lagos? No wonder she was cranky. That's a 14 hour hike in one direction, and another 8 hours back in the same direction shocked

Though i think it's not the airline. All flights inbound Lagos from anywhere is always chaos, caused mostly by the passengers.
Excess cabin luggage, irritable children, etc . . . I can't think of any flight I have taken inbound Lagos that has not been full of chaos. But I like Emirates. Well, I have to fly them a lot, anyway wink

I've never flown with Emirates but have mostly heard good stuff about them except this one time.Wow did you say 8 hours from Dubai to Lagos?? That is torture!! after another 8 or 9 hour flight

A good friend of mine flies frequently with Qatar Airlines from LHR,I can just imagine what she goes through for over 16 hours with 2 kids under 6 years!!! those are too many hours from Europe to the middle east (Doha) then back to Africa.

I know sometimes you can't help it but I would rather save more money and spend an extra amount on my ticket in order to get one layover and if possible no connections at all to my destination
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by ayo111uk(m): 7:50pm On May 17, 2012
They do accept debit/credit from Nigerian as l paid with one in March 2012. All l was told was that l have to show the card at the Airport.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Periwinkle(m): 1:55am On May 18, 2012
Mennnnnnn! wish i saw this post earlier! I booked BA for my family (wife and kid) to visit me by June early this month using my Visa debit card here in Manchester (route ABV-MAN through LHR;return). Any suggestions on what i should do? i have the e-tickets and booking reference. Should i DHL my card to wifey back in Abuja?
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by ayo111uk(m): 1:11pm On May 18, 2012
@Periwinkle is better to confirm from BA if you haven't done it before. They may ask and may not ask depending on the individual, but at Heathrow to Lagos l was asked.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by AjanleKoko: 4:53pm On May 18, 2012
Africans, nay Nigerians, need to stop crying racism and 'arrange' ourselves properly. angry
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by coogar: 4:58pm On May 18, 2012
Periwinkle: Mennnnnnn! wish i saw this post earlier! I booked BA for my family (wife and kid) to visit me by June early this month using my Visa debit card here in Manchester (route ABV-MAN through LHR;return). Any suggestions on what i should do? i have the e-tickets and booking reference. Should i DHL my card to wifey back in Abuja?

you don't have to do nothing.
if there's a problem, ba would have contacted you to answer
some simple questions for security checks. besides, their
payment system on their website is visa-verified. i think
you have passed the security check already. sit back and relax!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Periwinkle(m): 9:26pm On May 18, 2012
;DThanks bro. I was visa-verified. I think you do have a point. Abeg I will just relax joor!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by DisGuy: 12:55pm On May 20, 2012
ayo111uk: They do accept debit/credit from Nigerian as l paid with one in March 2012. All l was told was that l have to show the card at the Airport.

Same here, bought tickets early for February for a journey in march '12. they didn't even request to see my card

though their service is shyte, lagos airport hot, their plane sef na oven, will be sticking to KaLeM
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by tck2000(m): 9:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by tck2000(m): 2:08pm On Jan 11, 2020
BabaO2:
Good stuff from BA. Why deceiving ourselves, more than 80% Nigerians dont have good intention home and abroad, even in Nigeria, one lane driving they turn it to five lanes, thereby create unnecessary bottle neck and ground free flowing traffic. Anything Nigerians are participating sooner or later will be grounded
Not until spiritual leaders declare fasting and prayer for absolute cleansing of Nigeria, and all these people having mindset of wrong smartness should have a change of heart.
Judiciary should not be be sanctuary for criminals. Death penalty should be reintroduced. Robbery by killing should automatically get death sentence, etc.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by nlPoster: 4:59pm On Jan 11, 2020
Anything Nigerians are participating sooner or later will be grounded

Cant argue with that.

That's why they need their own social contexts.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by DisGuy: 11:33pm On Jan 11, 2020
Where's OmoTier1 and Mr Ajanlekoko

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Qatar Airways To Start Operations In Enugu, Kano, Port Harcourt Airports / LASTMA Announces Diversions & Road Closures For Buhari's Visit To Lagos / Geoffrey Onyeama: US May Lift Travel Ban In One Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.