Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. (21820 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / APC Wins All The Rerun Elections In Kaduna,Niger, Nassarawa And Plateau States / Gov.Mimiko Leads In 12 LGAs In Gubernatorial Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by auwal87(m): 7:02pm On Dec 31, 2011
LeoMax:

@auwal87

And your suggestion is for Jonathan sit down behind a laptop and type like you do all day ?

He should be more strategic than this dull decision, to the eyes of Nigerians it is good.

What if they buried all their weapons and fled only to return days after the emergency is lifted?? Will start another emergency? Common this isn't a solution at all.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Johnpaul2k2(m): 7:02pm On Dec 31, 2011
FOR THOSE IN Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Challas(m): 7:02pm On Dec 31, 2011
Goodmorning GEJ
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Beaf: 7:03pm On Dec 31, 2011
auwal87:

Which state of emergency worked for Iraq or Afghanistan to fight al qaeda?

Man in few days you will understand that it is bad idea, bad decision, it will only spoil matters more. these guys are not in caves located in the states that were declared emergency. They are within the community, and the community isn't aware, they will disappear any minute, they might be on their way to another state right now.

Lol! You do not understand that the law has been suspended and democracy snatched away in the areas affected. Its now an "anything-goes, hit 'em phuckers with nukes" style battle.
Whole communities will be uprooted, dislocated and strong armed in ways that will make Lucifer bawl out. Its not gonna be a tea party and I truly feel for those unfortunate people. They will be so pressured, traumatised, fried, put under the grinder to the extent that even if they were not hiding boko haram members they would volunteer to go out and search for them.

I don't think you fully understand the storm thats cooking.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:05pm On Dec 31, 2011
auwal87:

Which state of emergency worked for Iraq or Afghanistan to fight al qaeda?

Man in few days you will understand that it is bad idea, bad decision, it will only spoil matters more. these guys are not in caves located in the states that were declared emergency. They are within the community, and the community isn't aware, they will disappear any minute, they might be on their way to another state right now.

That's NOT  true! and you know it.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by trimwis: 7:05pm On Dec 31, 2011
The reason GEj isn't declaring a state of emergency in entire states is because he doesn't want to sack the governors. Apparently, the political fallout would be too much for him to handle.

true talk
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 31, 2011
"It has become imperative to take some decisive measures necessary to return normalcy in the country, especially within the affected communities. . ." -- GEJ

Listening to the BBC news clip just now, I detected not only an uncharacteristic pizzaz in presido's mien but also an increased sense of urgency.  cool
Let's hope this disposition signals a more hands-on approach to problem solving, eh. grin
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by NegroNtns(m): 7:09pm On Dec 31, 2011
abeg who is on ground to actually confirm that the borders have been closed?

btw, how do you 'close' a border when you don't have a perimeter fence?  the only way you can keep people in or out is with a security fence. border means nothing. who says i need to cross the road.

oyb took word out of my mouth.

Anyway, wheres the full speech, lets see it before we begin to cheer.   The state of emergency might be to the advantage of bharam and you alla re cheering before digesting the full content.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Beaf: 7:09pm On Dec 31, 2011
trimwis:

this is not enough we want state of emergency on ADAMU CIROMA, ATIKU, BUHARI AND IBB with all the other northern politician backing Boko Haram

It isn't surprising that Ciroma's state (Yobe) is one of the boko haram headquarters.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by auwal87(m): 7:10pm On Dec 31, 2011
@ beaf

You don't even know what a State of Emergency is, in fact most of those responding to this thread doesn't know what a State of Emergency is.

It means more weapons for BH, more time for them to think and create plans, it means more recruit for them.

Aghhhh, just don't know to what extent it will reach before you come back to your senses.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 31, 2011
auwal87:

@ beaf

You don't even know what a State of Emergency is, in fact most of those responding to this thread doesn't know what a State of Emergency is.

It means more weapons for BH, more time for them to think and create plans, it means more recruit for them.

Aghhhh, just don't know to what extent it will reach before you come back to your senses.

enlighten us, what is State of Emergency?
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 31, 2011
auwal87:

@ beaf

Alhaji,

State of emergency == more weapons for BH, more time for them to think and create plans, it means more recruit for them?
You have this on good authority?
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by otokx(m): 7:16pm On Dec 31, 2011
Lets hope things get better with this development; looks like a good move on a chess board but time would tell.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by jmaine: 7:17pm On Dec 31, 2011
Auwal87 is doing a poor job here . . .

Nevertheless . . . This move might just prompt the haramite to go on a bombing rampage . . .  to strengthen and prove to people they are still capable of stringing attacks . . . . .Just hope the security would be up and doing or else . . .
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by NegroNtns(m): 7:17pm On Dec 31, 2011
Does anyone have a transcribed copy of the speech to post here please?  Let all eyes see what gej is talking about if he makes sense or not.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 31, 2011
In practical terms, it means law has been suspended in the affected areas and all measures deemed necessary whether legal or not, whether moral or not, whether cultural or not, as long as the service chiefs exercising the emergency powers on behalf of GEJ deemed it necessary,  will be taken to ensure safety of lives and property. I don't know how that's a good news for Boko haram, I don't know how that's a good news for a sitting governor.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Beaf: 7:19pm On Dec 31, 2011
auwal87:

@ beaf

Really? grin grin grin grin
And here I was thinking that a state of emergency meant special fighting squads "cooking" stuff in the kitchens of the affected villages, helicopters dropping the odd unwanted "gift" and dangerous men from the JTF "playing" with the kids, kids playing with their extracted teeth on the floor! embarassed

Dude, believe me, you are truly misunderstanding the situation. There was never ever a state of emergency declared in my beloved Warri when Tompolo was running rampant, but let Warri folk tell you their experiences, even worse, let those from Okerenkoko (the victims of the most recent military burst) give you firsthand experiences that will freeze your flesh to your bones. I really feel for the affected communities and we should all put them in prayer.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Fellywood(m): 7:21pm On Dec 31, 2011
Honestly, if I knew NL is half filled with idio.ts I would not have wasted my time signing on. If the moderators does nothing & quick too, to weed this place of jobless religiuos f.ools who sees nothing good inwhatever Mr President does, I see NL being hijacked by low class illiterates & eventually kill it.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by jmaine: 7:22pm On Dec 31, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Does anyone have a transcribed copy of the speech to post here please?  Let all eyes see what gej is talking about if he makes sense or not.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/boko-haram-read-jonathans-declaration-of-state-of-emergency-address/

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-836191.0.html

Good luck on your making sense voyage . . .
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Obiagu1(m): 7:27pm On Dec 31, 2011
This is so funny. Everyone is jubilating and that makes me puzzled. Puzzled as to how these measures would bring an end to the crisis.
He would seal the border with Niger Republic in Borno and Yobe, can't they, Boko Haram, if the are based in Niger Republic, move in to Nigeria from Katsina?
If they are based in Cameroon, can't they come in through Adamawa?

Some local governments will come under state of emergency rule. This is so ridiculous!
What's the distance from Borno to Niger State? Everyone thought they are based in Maiduguri but they struck in Madalla, Niger State.
What stops Boko Haram from striking Bauchi and Gombe?

Funny country filled with funny characters!
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 31, 2011
Even if a Bomb goes off tomorrow, the President should not change tactics but even be more tougher.

Nobody said a state of emergency is a magic wand and that Boko Haram will disappear all of a sudden

When Americans deployed hundreds of thousands of soldiers in what is know as a surge, violence first shut up

It can only get worse to get better. If boko Haram sets off another Bomb it will strengthen the President's hand even further. They should thank their star this President is not very good at PR, otherwise he could have played on every new bomb to implement tougher measures and strengthen his grip on power.

Boko Haram should be careful what to wish for. A President who is a PR expert could have used this situation to influence the National assembly to remove Sharia or any traces of religion from the Nigerian constitution and outlaw it entirely so that from now onwards religion becomes an individual choice as it should and not the business of any state Government. Honestly Boko Haram should be careful what they wish for!
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 31, 2011
he President declared state of emergency in the troubled areas in the four states, Borno, Yobe, Niger and plateau states in his Saturday afternoon,nationwide broadcast.

Below is the text of Jonathan’s address

ADDRESS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN, GCFR, ON THE OCCASION OF THE DECLARATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN CERTAIN PARTS OF THE FEDERATION IN ORDER TO RESTORE PULIC ORDER, PEACE AND SECURITY IN THE FEDERATION, December 31, 2011

Fellow Nigerians, it has become necessary to address you on recent events in some parts of the country that have threatened our collective security and shaken the foundations of our corporate existence as a nation.

2.    You are all aware of the security challenges which the activities of the Boko Haram sect have foisted on the country. What began as sectarian crises in the North Eastern parts of the country has gradually evolved into terrorist activities in different parts of the country with attendant negative consequences on our national security.

3.      Government in an effort to find a lasting solution to the security threats occasioned by the activities of the Boko Haram sect, constituted a Presidential Committee under the Chairmanship of Ambassador Usman Gaji Galtimari, to ascertain the immediate and remote causes of the crises. While efforts are being made to implement the recommendations of the Committee, the crises have assumed a terrorist dimension with vital institutions of government including the United Nations Building and places of worship becoming targets of terrorist attacks.

4.   While the search for lasting solutions is ongoing, it has become imperative to take some decisive measures necessary to restore normalcy in the country especially within the affected communities. Consequently, I have in the exercise of the powers conferred on me by the provisions of section 305(1) of the Constitution, declared a state of emergency in the following parts of the federation, namely:

(i)  Borno State

a)  Maidugiri Metropolitan LGA

b)  Gamboru Ngala LGA

c)   Banki Bama LGA

d)  Biu LGA

e)   Jere LGA

(ii)  Yobe State

a)  Damaturu LGA

b)  Geidam LGA

c)   Potiskum LGA

d)  Buniyadi-Gujba LGA

e)   Gasua-Bade LGA

(iii) Plateau State

a)  Jos North LGA

b)  Jos South LGA

c)   Barkin-Ladi LGA

d)  Riyom LGA

(iv) Niger State

a)  Suleja LGA

The details of this proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly as soon as they reconvene from their current recess, for their necessary action.

5.    The Chief of Defence Staff and the Inspector-General of Police have been directed to put appropriate measures in place to ensure the protection of lives and properties of residents in the affected parts of the country. I therefore urge the political leadership in the affected states and Local Government Areas to give maximum cooperation to the law enforcement agencies deployed to their respective communities to ensure that the situation is brought under control within the shortest possible time.

6.   The Chief of Defence Staff, in collaboration with other Service Chiefs, has also been directed to set up a special force unit within the Armed Forces, with dedicated counter terrorism responsibilities.

7.   As part of the overall strategy to overcome the current security challenges, I have directed the closure of the land borders contiguous to the affected Local Government Areas so as to control incidences of cross boarder terrorist activities as terrorists have taken advantage of the present situation to strike at targets in Nigeria and retreat beyond the reach of our law enforcement personnel.

8.  Let me assure our neighbours, especially within the ECOWAS sub-region, of Nigeria’s commitment to its international obligations as provided by the ECOWAS Protocol on Free Movement of Persons. The temporary closure of our borders in the affected areas is only an interim measure designed to address the current security challenges and will be reviewed as soon as normalcy is restored.

9.   I commend the efforts of our political leaders at various levels as well as our traditional and religious leaders for their support for the various conflict resolution mechanisms and peace building measures that have been initiated by this administration. We call on the citizenry to continue to provide useful information to our law enforcement agencies to enable us arrest the situation.

10. Terrorism is a war against all of us. I call on all Nigerians to join hands with government to fight these terrorists.

11. I wish all Nigerians a very happy New Year.

12.   Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

will the dreaded spam bot eat this?
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 31, 2011
mikeansy:

Even if a Bomb goes off tomorrow, the President should not change tactics but even be more tougher.

Nobody said a state of emergency is a magic wand and that Boko Haram will disappear all of a sudden

When Americans deployed hundreds of thousands of soldiers in what is know as a surge, violence first shut up

It can only get worse to get better. If boko Haram sets off another Bomb it will strengthen the President's hand even further. They should thank their star this President is not very good at PR, otherwise he could have played on every new bomb to implement tougher measures and strengthen his grip on power.

Boko Haram should be careful what to wish for. A President who is a PR expert could have used this situation to influence the National assembly to remove Sharia or any traces of religion from the Nigerian constitution and outlaw it entirely so that from now onwards religion becomes an individual choice as it should and not the business of any state Government. Honestly Boko Haram should be careful what they wish for!

GBAM!!! It's a good way to start. That's the whole point.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by MarcAnthon(m): 7:31pm On Dec 31, 2011
Very good move. Exactly what we've been saying all along. He needs to treat this with an iron fist and not play politics with the lives of Nigerians. I am sceptical though about it not being the entire Borno and Yobe states, but let's just see it as a good beginning. If trouble persists in the remaining LGs he declares the whole state covered.

Welldone!

oyb:

abeg stop the lapdog sycophancy. that is what led us to this impasse.

thoughout the year you have been celebrating gejs 'methodical, calm , seasoned approach' . all the time when he made excuses for not declaring a state of emergency, you cheered. carrot and stick, you cheered, empty threat, you cheered. why don't you just keep quiet and cheer AFTER  we see some results?

Don't mind the sycophant. When we were shouting about declaring a state of emergency, he kept defending his master like a puppet who cannot do otherwise. Now he can't stop cheering. Sad if this guy is a Nigerian youth. Who knows how many lives would have been saved if this declaration came a month or two earlier.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by expert555: 7:32pm On Dec 31, 2011
The president must have had absolute confidence of these states governors and that they are co operating with him. I can now see the reason the president said we better get use to BK bombs. If you remember when OBJ was in power these bastards Muslim organisation treaten to unlish bombing in Nigeria if OBJ did not give Moslems plum jobs like defence, finance, ambassador to Britain, US, oil minister and the rest. I have a feeling behind close doors they are making similar demands on GEJ as a condition of stopping the bombings. So GEJ is not ready to give to their demands that is why he asking us to get used to it. I'm pretty sure most northern elites including the Sultan in backing this move to give Moslems oil minister and the rest. They are noting but parasites and cocroches that must be sent out of Nigeria. The country must be broken up so they have minister of the dessert. This retard Muslims must not be allowed to detate anything to any body because if not for the oil in the south of the country they will be as Poor as Niger and Somalia.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Chyz2: 7:33pm On Dec 31, 2011
Obiagu1:

This is so funny. Everyone is jubilating and that makes me puzzled. Puzzled as to how these measures would bring an end to the crisis.oko
He would seal the border with Niger Republic in Bornu and Yobe, can't they, Boko Haram, if the are based in Niger Republic, move in to Nigeria from Katsina?

Some local governments will come under state of emergency rule. This is so ridiculous!
What's the distance from Borno to Niger State? Everyone thought they are based in Maiduguri but they struck in Madalla, Niger State.
What's stops Boko Haram from striking Bauchi and Gombe?

Simple.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 31, 2011
The same state of emergency that was declared at Jos some years ago that produced nada?
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Dec 31, 2011
But that said we need to close every border with Niger and Chad. I mean surveillance patrol. If we dont have one in place the President should start building a wired fence between Nigeria and Niger/chad and man these boarder areas tightly.

Increase security checkings in every other border post in the country whether its benin republic or through bakasi.

The emergency in states is good as is. The essence is the symbolism and ability to have boots on ground to monitor movements. I am satisfied with the start!
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by EvilBrain1(m): 7:43pm On Dec 31, 2011
Obiagu1:

This is so funny. Everyone is jubilating and that makes me puzzled. Puzzled as to how these measures would bring an end to the crisis.
He would seal the border with Niger Republic in Borno and Yobe, can't they, Boko Haram, if the are based in Niger Republic, move in to Nigeria from Katsina?

People are so desperate for good news that we're grasping at straws. Pretty much anything Jonathan does now will be better that what he's been doing for the past year which is scratching his ynash and making rètarded statements.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by itiswell1(m): 7:46pm On Dec 31, 2011
Obiagu1:

I wonder o
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by otokx(m): 7:48pm On Dec 31, 2011
^^^ Bros we are just trying to console ourselves.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Beaf: 7:52pm On Dec 31, 2011
mikeansy:

But that said we need to close every border with Niger and Chad. I mean surveillance patrol. If we dont have one in place the President should start building a wired fence between Nigeria and Niger/chad and man these boarder areas tightly.

Increase security checkings in every other border post in the country whether its benin republic or through bakasi.

The emergency in states is good as is. The essence is the symbolism and ability to have boots on ground to monitor movements. I am satisfied with the start!

It will be impossible to close our borders and make them airtight, even the US has immense problems with keeping Mexicans out. Closing the borders would be ineffective against a determined foe, and would slow them down at best; except we build a huge wall manned by snipers like Israel and East Germany did. I don't think we can afford to go down that route though, if we ever need to do that then quick incursions into Chad, Niger and Cameroun would be more feasible; it would tell those govts to manage those coming through for their own good.

But its a good start all the same.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Those Bent On Power Shift To South Behind Security Challenges In North – CNG / Pictures From Kwankwaso's Campaign Rally In Rogo Local Government, Kano / Appeal Court Affirms Fayemi’s Election, Dismisses Eleka, Pdp’s Appeal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.