Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,570 members, 7,820,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed (45516 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Breaking News!!!!!!! : Fuel To Sell At N57/litre ? / Fuel Subsidy Removed - Full Transcript Of Press Release From The Pppra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ceejay80s(m): 6:56pm On Jan 01, 2012
They should do what ever they like but LAGOS NO FIT BE LIKE LAS VAGAS
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Chubhie: 6:56pm On Jan 01, 2012
@beaf: I understand how hard you are fighting to keep and secure your present job under this adminstration. You have less than 48hrs to spin all the tricks and defend a master that is fast losing street credibility. At the very end of it all you will either join the masses or chose to go down with your capitalist masters.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 01, 2012
engineerd:

This thread is full of Arrogant idiots with inflated egos and typical backward Nigerian mentality (All bragging about what they have or what not). That's what happens when you give an illiterate money!
SECONDED.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 6:58pm On Jan 01, 2012
norrisman:

@ beaf

I work in Transport in the UK and many services including local bus travel, the Tube and National Rail servies are subsidized. There are many services that are not worth running as companies operating the service wont make a profit but the government and local councils pay for these services to be run.
Dude tell him! T4L and the likes that run near empty trains at 3am in the morning, ha ha, i guess survive on their competitive prices, beaf must be a joker of a kind!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 01, 2012
I am so happy i did not vote for Jonathan, can you imagine someone buying fuel for 200naira now, i so hate this country, when we are the 7th largest oil producing country in the world as at five years ago, am sick of that yeye Jonathan and his so called Wife with stupid error she always make olodo woman, am so regretting him
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 7:00pm On Jan 01, 2012
Chubhie:

@beaf: I understand how hard you are fighting to keep and secure your present job under this adminstration. You have less than 48hrs to spin all the tricks and defend a master that is fast losing street credibility. At the very end of it all you will either join the masses or chose to go down with your capitalist masters.

If you cannot start your senseless suicide in 48 hours, then you are a braindead coward.
By the way, I don't work for anybody, the truth just hurts you phuckers so much that you start lying.

Omo_Tier1:

They are controlled 'cos they are subsidized! Get some senses mate! The rails get Billions each year to keep prices low,  a whooping £7bn Each parliermentary year mate!!! Gas and Electricity do not get controlled,  that is why you get tax breakes for working family, council energy breaks for the OAPs,  man you sound even more numpty than I first thought!

You are lying. Here is a price control document from the UK's national grid. Are you sure you arent there just to count bridges?

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/2ECE4839-38D1-4747-A255-D2B326CE4D77/22200/Acceptanceof5yearUKGasDistributionPriceControl1.pdf
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 7:01pm On Jan 01, 2012
oyibomoses:

I am so happy i did not vote for Jonathan, can you imagine someone buying fuel for 200naira now, i so hate this country, when we are the 7th largest oil producing country in the world as at five years ago, am sick of that yeye Jonathan and his so called Wife with silly error she always make olodo woman, am so regretting him
Worse even, you are paying almost twice at pump price at those in the UK will be doing in real terms! WOW, so much for an oil giant!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by BetaThings: 7:01pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

My friend, international companies deal in dollars, not Naira; they are affected by World economic indices, not local inflation. Your argument has no basis.
For Nigeria to become a productive country that is competitive on an international scale, a whole host of reajustments need to be made, some will be painful; but we cannot keep entertaining arguments that we should keep doing the same things of the past that led to our current failures with the forlorn hope that they will one day, miraculously produce success.

This is not entirely correct. An American company will have to pay bills in Naira, earn income in Naira. It is not really bothered about N:Yen rate, but the rate between N and currency of the country it imports from (say US) and which it  has to repartriates its dividend to
What is really the concern of Nestle Nigeria with N:Rheminbi  if Nestle imports from Switzerland and sends its dividend to Switzerland

If you want to appraise investment in Nigeria, would you use a weighted global exchange (or inflation) rate  if there is one? and none exists anyway
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 7:05pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

If you cannot start your senseless suicide in 48 hours, then you are a braindead coward.

You are lying. Here is a price control document from the UK's national grid. Are you sure you arent there just to count bridges?

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/2ECE4839-38D1-4747-A255-D2B326CE4D77/22200/Acceptanceof5yearUKGasDistributionPriceControl1.pdf
I told you , you aint got a clue how the system here functions, reaping documents off on the internet is not the way to go mate! It's a sign of cowardice!

Price control on Gas and Electricity distribution is not same as price control on Gas and Electricity at destination point i.e. House, Offices, Malls and Industrial estates. UK government control distribution prices 'cos it privatize the distribution networks, hence you have companies, like SWEB, EDF, BritishGas' etc 'buying' distribution routes through government owned but privately ran/maintain distribution networks.

Man for real you'r dam shallow,
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by landon(m): 7:05pm On Jan 01, 2012
ridgeman:

Bold move Mr President! History is full of leaders who miscalculated their 'followers' support. They all paid a heavy price. No country on this planet can exist without some sort of subsidy(call it relief) to the general masses. I'll see what you intend to give back to Nigerians today(seeing as you removed the subsidy today)unfortunately something tells me you haven't figured that out yet. Nigerians pray that desolation and poverty will not be your portion this year!

my exact sentiments, As of today, the nigerian govt has no contribution to my existence and economic wellbeing.

my destiny is in my sole hands and if it includes economic sabotage, SO BE IT
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by makonko(m): 7:07pm On Jan 01, 2012
Hmmmm, N141 per litre? shocked I better get me a donkey
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by BetaThings: 7:08pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

My friend, international companies deal in dollars, not Naira; they are affected by World economic indices, not local inflation. Your argument has no basis.
For Nigeria to become a productive country that is competitive on an international scale, a whole host of reajustments need to be made, some will be painful; but we cannot keep entertaining arguments that we should keep doing the same things of the past that led to our current failures with the forlorn hope that they will one day, miraculously produce success.
Idika Kalu and Chu Okongwu arguments for SAP in the 80s
No Alternative to SAP etc
Due to competition, Prices will be forced down, we will reduce our dependence on oil as the source of forex

Where are we today?

Obasanjo removed subsidy several times
Savings will be deployed to critical infrastructure

We need to spend money to reduce maternal and infant mortality

Where are we today?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 7:08pm On Jan 01, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

I told you , you aint got a clue how the system here functions, reaping documents off on the internet is not the way to go mate! It's a sign of cowardice!

Price control on Gas and Electricity distribution is not same as price control on Gas and Electricity at destination point i.e. House, Offices, Malls and Industrial estates. UK government control distribution prices 'cos it privatize the distribution networks, hence you have companies, like SWEB, EDF, BritishGas' etc 'buying' distribution routes through government owned but privately ran/maintain distribution networks.

Man for real you'r dam shallow,

So the price control document I provided is fake because you are angry?
Lol!

My guy, stop making arguments that anyone can shred. Be informed and educated, thats what will stop you getting angry, sir.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 01, 2012
OK_2_NV:

WHAT OBVIOUS REASON AND

Where are the alternatives to ensure the poor living in abject poverty wouldnt get poorer as a result of this policy?

What gives us assurance that this wouldnt result in past same failed promises? As we have been told electricity would get to 5000mgw by dec 31st 2011. wheres the 5000mgwt?

WHO GIVES A FLYIN PHUCK WHAT U GOT?
U BOKO!

Yea i dont even want u to give a phuk. But its imperative for one to set records straight cos most pple here reason with their nose and not brains hence they make unreasonable comments such as this

at least, this thread don reveal those were dey form big boi

Pple who reason like this needs to be told that its not a matter of forming but a matter of thinking about those that are a little less privileged than we are
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 7:09pm On Jan 01, 2012
BetaThings:

This is not entirely correct. An American company will have to pay bills in Naira, earn income in Naira. It is not really bothered about N:Yen rate, but the rate between N and currency of the country it imports from (say US) and which it  has to repartriates its dividend to
What is really the concern of Nestle Nigeria with N:Rheminbi  if Nestle imports from Switzerland and sends its dividend to Switzerland

If you want to appraise investment in Nigeria, would you use a weighted global exchange (or inflation) rate  if there is one? and none exists anyway
Help me school that numpty on how global companies function! Those of us that 'run' one know too better than what His cracked head thinks! Ever head J'Berger saying a contract sums in Nigeria is worth $XYZbn 'cos it's Now N163 to $1? Or it is not the case that their wage bill pushes up their cost, and much of that wage bill is dictated by pay scale of local economy as demanded by their international practice rules procedures and standards, (IPRPS) ?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ziccoit: 7:09pm On Jan 01, 2012
Let see how thing plays out in the next 72hrs.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 7:13pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

So the price control document I provided is fake because you are angry?
Lol!

My guy, stop making arguments that anyone can shred. Be informed and educated, thats what will stop you getting angry, sir.
Never said it was fake, or did I? , Basically, I just explained to you yea how it works here! Simple, government can only control what she subsidizes. The network grid for electricity and gas you mentioned is controlled by the government 'cos she owns the grid! The only grid she doesnt own is the South-West grid owned by a company in the US.

The actual gas or electricity you use in your house is not subsizied by the UK government! simple.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 7:16pm On Jan 01, 2012
@beaf,
For real stop putting up documents you know nothing about! reaping off documents from the internet doesn't show how intelligent you really are! Distribution and point of supply is not the same thing!

Just like saying this: Some Network rail routes and prices are subsidized while others only the prices are subsidized and not the route itself! Get it? hmmm I doubt not!!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by EvilBrain1(m): 7:16pm On Jan 01, 2012
landon:

my exact sentiments, As of today, the nigerian govt has no contribution to my existence and economic wellbeing.

my destiny is in my sole hands and if it includes economic sabotage, SO BE IT

The federal government is nothing more that a burden. Despite paying taxes, the vast majority of Nigerians derive absolutely no benefit from it's existence now that the subsidy is gone. We generate our own electricity, are in charge of our own security and we don't dare call the police to help when we are in trouble. In fact, all three times I got robbed last year, it was by policemen in uniform.

If Nigerians gain nothing from government, what motivation do t hey have to defend it? What do Nigerians have to lose if there is a Libya style revolt or a coup?

The only things worth saving are the few state governments that are doing well. Otherwise, we might as well burn the whole thing down and start again.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by tlops(m): 7:17pm On Jan 01, 2012
Seriously Oga Beaf, if you really have access to the president, kindly let him know that the people who will suffer this most are the less privileged amongst us. as prices of goods will automatically "take-cover" for the new increment. if they finally succeeded in keeping the subsidy out, what should we expect at the end of the year to justify the actions. I hope there will be no more promises, and God-go-do-am statements oh!

Because GEJ must do it!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ochukoccna: 7:18pm On Jan 01, 2012
Jonathan JUST CONFIRMED BEYOND ALL DOUBT he lacks tact.
So sad.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by overhyped: 7:19pm On Jan 01, 2012
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, the great Visionary leader of our time, I salute you o!
I hear say minimum wage for Naijanistan is a paltry sum of N18,000= 2 tank of PMS. LWKMD!!!!
But carry go because we dey your back gidigba, afterall, we voted for you not PDP cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by sheyguy: 7:20pm On Jan 01, 2012
The air is so fresh i aint feeling harmattan . . . Lol
@beaf, how can i buy shares in one of the cabal-owned companies, atleast that way i dont get to lose out in the looting process totally.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by nex(m): 7:20pm On Jan 01, 2012
My fellow Nigerian compatriots, long has it been since I inked ye a parchment for the namesake of our battered motherland.

I never intend to sever your ears from the music you love so much, nor your glued vision off your twitter TimeLine, neither you BlackBerries, and your new year merries do I aim to divorce you from.

I'd hoped that I would happen upon you all holding hands, singing 'Kumbaya' while breathing the fresh air which you so longed for, or basking in the Luck of Mainasara, Azikiwe, Omoluabi who had no shoes. Alas, here you lay weeping over the shrapnel of littered bombs; groaning under the weight of a multiplier fuel costs.

I'd wished that I could wish you all a 'Happy New Year', not like you wish did, but with a genie's lamp, or a wizard's staff, or anything magical that could quicken my words and make them last.

Howbeit that 2010, and 2011, the years of bounty, we spent in lack. This year at hand will fare no milder without toil. Not a Dinar will earned but with the plough oxed.

I kid ye not comrades, there are no excesses lying around anymore to stumble upon. All man, woman and child must demand what rightfully is theirs, or lie down and be trampled on to death.

Just the other day, while pondering about the issues in the government's agenda, I read about the Total Crude Oil Reserves of Nigeria hovering at 30 billion barrels which at $70 results to N2,000,000 per Nigerian citizen. Yet, they're more fixated on ripping off the little affordability we benefit. Today, I hear we're not only being denied more, but we have been ordered to pay for the failures of government in refining petroleum products locally.

However, ignore all that and peek at the Total Natural Gas Reserves of Nigeria exceeding 5 trillion cubic metres which at $400/cu.m amounts to $2,000,000,000,000,000. Now tell me, what is it they say again about subsidy?

Aside that, if we each had $12,500,000,000 safely sitting in our accounts as earnings from the sale of natural gas, who would cry? Who would strap up in bombs to die? Who would even have the time?

So anyway, why are we so downtrodden amongst the people of the world? Why are we still grovelling in this our $1 per day/$1 per litre lifestyle? Why living worse than pet animals in other climes?!

We have installed a Government "of the people, for the people, by the people", which wakes up on the 1st of January to celebrate the New Year with Nigerians by dictating a new petrol price of N141/litre.

This unprovoked declaration of aggression by the government against the Nigerian people will not cease till we wake up from our slumber; till we set aside that red wine decanter and be sober; and until we realise that THE GOVERNMENT IS RIGHTFULLY OURS, WE ARE NOT THE GOVERNMENT'S!

2012 is "The Year That Is Rightfully Yours". Wake up, Stand up, Rise up Nigerians!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Gbawe: 7:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
BetaThings:

What is the essence of this post? For us to believe that the government is fighting these guys who FINANCED Jonathan's election
You really mean that Jonathan is going to institute a policy that will hurt Otedola?
It is Femi Otedola that we are talking about here, remember?
How come these guys are also supporting fuel subsidy removal - Otedola & Co were at the town hush(hall) gig? Are they fools?
BTW who gave licence to construction companies to import fuel? Me?

Thank you !!! In 2009, the Government of the day changed the laws to permit the FG (along with the NNPC) issue marketers licence !!!!! Since then, those unconnected with the oil business have gained marketers licence. [size=14pt]This same thing went on under GEJ also to the extent subsidy jumped to the highest under "fresh air" in one year than under any President since 1999 !!!!!
[/size]
 Every single Nigerian President , since 1999, has been fully aware of all that is going on in the Petroleum sector - including the scams. I have given my opinion of what I believe will happen. I was not wrong when I stated in the past that terrorism will be used to ensure GEJ achieves nothing of note even as fans of GEJ on Nairaland (they know who they are) bragged that the might of the Presidency will defeat everyone. Today , in direct testimony to their stupendous naivete, they admit defeat to the point of even foolishly and distastefully advocating for a certain ethnic group to be excluded from the armed forces.

It is clear they got it horribly wrong with how the "all-powerful" Presidency now appears totally impotent and cowering against Boko Haram. GEJ , in my opinion, is doomed because he continues to shun Nigerians in preference for worshipping AGIPs. It is only a question of time.

He is another poor soul, like Yar Adua, promoted far above his station into a 'bermuda triangle' that swallows those who blink. GEJ, like Yar Adua, is a blinker. OBJ, Atiku, IBB et all , for all their faults, don't blink. It is their game and they are merely using pawns like Yar Adua and GEJ who foolishly think they are in control without understanding that they remain dispensible with how they never court, as a matter of urgency, the support of those who truly matter[b] i.e ordinary Nigerians.[/b]
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 7:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Never said it was fake, or did I? , Basically, I just explained to you yea how it works here! Simple, government can only control what she subsidizes. The network grid for electricity and gas you mentioned is controlled by the government 'cos she owns the grid! The only grid she doesnt own is the South-West grid owned by a company in the US.

The actual gas or electricity you use in your house is not subsizied by the UK government! simple.

You are one funny character indeed! Does the UK govt also subsidise alcohol and cigarettes? How come there are price controls on these things?
You are one phucking clown whose arguments are plucked from thin air and defended with lies.

How is your god, Ciroma?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by werepeLeri: 7:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
overhyped:

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, the great Visionary leader of our time, I salute you o!
I hear say minimum wage for Naijanistan is a paltry sum of  N18,000= 2 tank of PMS. LWKMD!!!!
But carry go because we dey your back gidigba, afterall, we voted for you not PDP  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

how much he be before him reach there?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by FILEBE(m): 7:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
mtshweeeee!  me wey i don know say dem go remove am! all those talk matter na propaganda! new year! start new year with strong hustle. watevee sha, WAT CAN WE DO? wewill obey nani. at least we have found an excuse for every mishap, disappointment etc that could happen this year. I couldnt pay my school feees on time. why? na fuel subsidy cause am
why did u come late to work? na fuel subsidy cause am.
why did u fail ur exam? if to say dem never increase fuel money, pass
why didnt Super falcons win the nation cup? na fuel subsidy cause am.
and so on and so forth. make una dey list am
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 01, 2012
I have no issues with the subsidy removal. But my concern is, will I see petrol to buy when I need it ? I no wan sleep for darkness o
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by EvilBrain1(m): 7:25pm On Jan 01, 2012
I hope were are all prepared for 3 more years of being r@ped by the PDP.

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 01, 2012
Hahahaha My gen has just gone off. I just finished my last subsidized fuel.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 7:29pm On Jan 01, 2012
werepeLeri:

how much he be before him reach there?
Dude, do not even dust up the issue of minimum wage! Or where were you when GEJ openly admitted that He never knew the minimum wage wasn't being implemented So much of How much he be before Him reach there? FYI, Under OBJ, the agreement reached, minimum wage was suppose to be N25,000 and that is what Yar'dua was planning to implement in 2012. If you are not aware, only Civil servant on payscale 0-7 earn this new minimum wage as all others are told the law does not cover them, go find out! Also, is minimum wage for the government workers only?, is it not for the whole country?, What has GEJ done to make sure private sectors are also paying the minimum wage? Or when last did you hear a house boy is paid N18,000 a month in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply)

Okada Riders Form A Motorcade For Buhari In Bauchi (Photos) / Bloody Coup: Emir Sanusi Sends Nigeria A Very Strong Warning / Top 3 Things I Will Fix Before Leaving Office - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.