Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,761 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Secure Your Fuel - Make Sure Your Fuel Tank Is Lockable! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Secure Your Fuel - Make Sure Your Fuel Tank Is Lockable! (1776 Views)

Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? / Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? / Washing The Fuel Tank. Is It Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Secure Your Fuel - Make Sure Your Fuel Tank Is Lockable! by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jan 03, 2012
In the wake of the increased price of fuel in Nigeria, it obviously makes sense to secure your tank. Not all fuel flaps / filler caps are lockable. Most newer models have the flap secured when the car is locked (central locking). Generally, the caps are then non-locking types. It would be prudent to purchase a lockable filler cap, the thin flap (sometimes plastic) is all too easy to pry open.

The lockable filler caps come in two types - one that locks, and can't be turned, and another that locks, and can turn (freewheel). The one that locks in one position is not the best. As it can be gripped with a large pair of stilsons / pliers and forced to turn, busting the lock. The freewheeling versions, once locked will rotate endlessly, so can't be forced open. These are more expensive, but well worth the extra cost.

As much as is convenient, don't fill your tank to the brim, unless you intend going on a long trip. Some cars fuel gauges display fuel quantity, even with the ignition off. These can be disabled, so only work with the engine on, this is also a wise move. If you don't have the know how to modify your fuel gauge to only indicate when the engine is on, there's the risk of fuel theft, if the gauge is visible from outside the car, and the tank is full. On such cars, it is definitely wise NOT to leave the car sitting with a full tank, unless you intend to use it immediately.

Good luck all, and drive safe!
Re: Secure Your Fuel - Make Sure Your Fuel Tank Is Lockable! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 03, 2012
It's probably worth having this stickied, to ensure it gets a wider audience.
Re: Secure Your Fuel - Make Sure Your Fuel Tank Is Lockable! by mastro: 1:51pm On Jan 03, 2012
this will also work

1 Like

Re: Secure Your Fuel - Make Sure Your Fuel Tank Is Lockable! by Shagati(m): 2:47pm On Jan 03, 2012
LOL @ triple lock protection grin cheesy grin

But seriously Siena. Seriously, seriously? ? ? ?
It is good to have a lockable fuel tank but in my honest opinion, I doubt fuel theft will become the next big thing in Nigeria due to the recent price increase. Reasons are multiple but the nature of the product will count for a large part of deterence (volatility and max quantity per heist will also definitely discourage the enterprising crook)

And also, I'd hate to be around if an aspiring petrothief is apprehended in the act lipsrsealed

Why steal what is readily available?

(1) (Reply)

Atf / Help! My Volkswagen Sharan Keeps Burning Its Coil / Nissan Xterra VS Nissan Pathfinder (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.