Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? (6663 Views)

What Tv Program Or Movie Ever Moved You To Tears? / All About Mnet Tinsel: / Hitv Or Hi Rubbish? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by JayCee2010: 8:27pm On Jan 04, 2012
I don't get TINSEL. Everyone is so hot and speaks in a foreign accent(even bar waiters)
The interior decoration of the entire set from houses to offices to police stations all look like it was shot in europe. Since when did regular nigerian flats (especially that of a tailor) have fancy decor and sophisticated paint work
The acting is soooooo exagerrated and unatural ( nollywood actors are way better and more realistic).
That show does not adequately represent the real Nigerian situation not even among the so called elite).
Is it just me or is Tinsel a crappy tv show? Why do people love it so much, am I missing something?
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by denitro(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2012
Thank you so much for your observation,
Tinsel is Absolute Rubbish
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by ikechukz(m): 8:51am On Jan 11, 2012
My sis is crazy about it but to me it is complete crap.i watch better ones like 'so wrong so wright'
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 11, 2012
Isn't Tinsel a soap opera?
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 4:49pm On Jan 17, 2012
Tinsel is a good soap opera. wink
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by wendoworld(m): 4:06pm On Jan 24, 2012
haters !!!!! :p :p
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by wendoworld(m): 4:10pm On Jan 24, 2012
BTW: i also noticed the same thing at first when i first saw it, so i lost interest, but right now i no dey miss the 12.30pm one wey them dey re-do for movie magic. Anywhere wey i dey for 12.30, must be infront of t.v(most painfully, na for working place self tongue )
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 18, 2013
JayCee2010: I don't get TINSEL. Everyone is so hot and speaks in a foreign accent(even bar waiters)
The interior decoration of the entire set from houses to offices to police stations all look like it was shot in europe. Since when did regular nigerian flats (especially that of a tailor) have fancy decor and sophisticated paint work
The acting is soooooo exagerrated and unatural ( nollywood actors are way better and more realistic).
That show does not adequately represent the real Nigerian situation not even among the so called elite).
Is it just me or is Tinsel a crappy tv show? Why do people love it so much, am I missing something?
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by kimco(m): 9:23pm On Jul 18, 2013
ikechukz: My sis is crazy about it but to me it is complete crap.i watch better ones like 'so wrong so wright'
i'm looking for episodes of tales of eve, you know where i can get them. I absolutely love that series. Tinsel is not a great soap opera, buh it is a good enough show. And why does kwame's sister *forgot her name* blink so much, like a cartoon character and always has the same experession. Kwame himself has an exaggerated/ fake accent, *always hated chris attoh for this idiosyncracy*.
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by realteflon(m): 10:21pm On Jul 18, 2013
The directing and settings ate good but the concept is totally so not Nigeria. Story line not interesting. Its not interesting
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by khanivorous(f): 10:36pm On Jul 18, 2013
And why would a series with 1000episodes make sense...

As good as ROTTEN CABBAGE
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by sholay2011(m): 10:51pm On Jul 18, 2013
OP...your first line got me laffin..
'Everybody is so hot and speaks in a foreign accent..' lolz.

IMO, it is a good soap. My reason is that we do films about our cultural history by projecting into the past, do movies about the present by reflecting on our societal problems like domestic abuse, crime, drug abuse etc and so, I see TINSEL as a story set in the future Nigeria where speaking 'toosh' english won't be the thing of a set of ppl alone.

I also see the soap as a break from all the problems that have pledged my surrounding into a fantasy world of africans bothering on secondary issues like power, greed and betrayal and not food, clothing, security, electricity...and food again grin

I am not an ardent fan, but TINSEL is far from 'absolute rubbish'. cool

1 Like

Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by prof800(m): 11:29am On Jul 19, 2013
sholay2011: OP...your first line got me laffin..

IMO, it is a good soap. My reason is that we do films about our cultural history by projecting into the past, do movies about the present by reflecting on our societal problems like domestic abuse, crime, drug abuse etc and so, I see TINSEL as a story set in the future Nigeria where speaking 'toosh' english won't be the thing of a set of ppl alone.

I also see the soap as a break from all the problems that have pledged my surrounding into a fantasy world of africans bothering on secondary issues like power, greed and betrayal and not food, clothing, security, electricity...and food again grin

+1 like

+1 like

+1 like

+1 like[color=#006600]

+1 like

+1 like[/color]

+1 like

+1 like

+1 like.
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by sholay2011(m): 11:59am On Jul 19, 2013
^^^^^ Prof...e se oooo grin grin
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 19, 2013
The show is not 'Nigerianish'? Yet the skylines used are in Nigeria, the streets are in Nigeria, the actors aré Nigerians.

Those sets look European? You are a joker! If I was blindfolded and taken to Fred Ade williams' house, I will know I'm in a house owned by a Nigerian.
Ąnd incase you don't know, tailor get 'grade'. Not every Nigerian Tailor is a roadside one.

Its not until they shoot films in Surulere or Ajegunle that a film will look '9ja'. Aaargh!
Or we should say american series don't look American Cos the sets never portray Detroit, Gary, Memphis and the likes?
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 19, 2013
Lol...I see sey I no cover all the areas grin

@Op, what if I tell you my fąvourite bar is actually filled with waiters who speak good English?

Even sef, the waiters in most Nigerian bars speak good English! Abi were you referring to beer parlour? undecided. Well Ziggy bar as we are made to understand is a high class bar, so waiters with good command of English is not out of place smiley.

If you wanted to say the show doesn't look like the average Nigerian series, I totally agree. But saying the show looks European is the joke of the century.

2 Likes

Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by VillageBoi(m): 12:00pm On Jul 20, 2013
sholay2011: I see TINSEL as a story set in the future Nigeria where speaking 'toosh' english won't be the thing of a set of ppl alone.

I never watch the show so I can't really comment but please can you explain what you wrote above - Does it mean people speaking good English or people speaking that forced horribly fake English? Sorry I nefa hear the word 'toosh' before.

EDIT: Just seen a minute of an episode on Youtube... looks good and sounds good. Why people dey hate on this thing? Anyone?
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by sholay2011(m): 12:09pm On Jul 20, 2013
^^^^^^ Villageboi!!!! You've not heard the word 'toosh' before? Na naija slang naa for exquisite or 'oyinboish' tinz. You don tey for overseas. You'd better come join me at Ayarabiasa village here grin. What I meant by toosh english is fluent speaking...even with or without accent (s).
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by VillageBoi(m): 1:31pm On Jul 20, 2013
sholay2011: ^^^^^^ Villageboi!!!! You've not heard the word 'toosh' before? Na naija slang naa for exquisite or 'oyinboish' tinz. You don tey for overseas. You'd better come join me at Ayarabiasa village here grin. What I meant by toosh english is fluent speaking...even with or without accent (s).

My guy thank you. I get the most original fillage-toosh... my own sweet well, well.
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by sholay2011(m): 1:45pm On Jul 20, 2013
VillageBoi:

My guy thank you. I get the most original fillage-toosh... my own sweet well, well.
*Yimu*.... grin grin
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by VillageBoi(m): 2:57pm On Jul 20, 2013
sholay2011:
*Yimu*.... grin grin

Oh bollox, wtf is 'Yimu'... You dey carry slangs & internet code kill this fillage persin today!
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by prof800(m): 4:26pm On Jul 20, 2013
VillageBoi:

Oh bollox, wtf is 'Yimu'...
errrr......i think it's an expression made by raising or twisting ur nose or something...
errr.....i don't think there is an English word for it...yimu is yimu, shinzu is shinzu, gobe is gobe..!
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by VillageBoi(m): 4:34pm On Jul 20, 2013
prof800:
errrr......i think it's an expression made by raising or twisting ur nose or something...
errr.....i don't think there is an English word for it...yimu is yimu, shinzu is shinzu, gobe is gobe..!

Thanks Prof na you be Oga at the top! wink

1 Like

Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 20, 2013
VillageBoi:
Just seen a minute of an episode on Youtube... looks good and sounds good. why people dey hate on this thing? Anyone?

Because it doesn't look 'nigerian'. Yet the ones wey look 'Nigerian', dem go bash the hell out of them saying they are craps. Often times, I feel Nigerians don't know what they actually want. They contradict themselves a lot! Confused fellas angry

Btw, to answer your question....Tinsel actors don't fake accent (if there's anything like that grin)

4 Likes

Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by VillageBoi(m): 4:07am On Jul 21, 2013
^^^^^^
Well said!
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by Ignatio(m): 8:58am On Jul 21, 2013
I used to think that the show was made up of Nigerian and South African actors.
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by Ajasnoop: 3:31pm On Jul 30, 2013
You have to understand that Tinsel is a Nigerian programme that is made for an international market. The setting and diction has to be relevant for a wide range of people and not just Nigerians
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by Chigozie1984(f): 2:01pm On Jul 31, 2013
I love the show,
I am a South African, and my husband is Nigerian, i know u did not want to know that.Then again i love anything that has to do with Nigeria.
I have been watching it since it start way back. This to my meaning is the best Nigerian show i have ever seen.

Keep well all.
Re: Tinsel Series: Good Program Or Absolute Rubbish? by meobizy(f): 10:12pm On Nov 06, 2018
The show’s story has no direction. I’m surprised to see people here enjoy it even into 2012.
To me it lost meaning after 2011. It is only continuing so people will stay employed.
If the show took production breaks once in a while the story and direction will pick up to an above Nollywood-standard.

(1) (Reply)

NUDITY, Immorality, Sodomy: Should Big Brother Africa Be Banned? (PHOTOS) / Jerry Springer Show on DSTV / Ronke Apampa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.