Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano (6576 Views)

Resign, Saraki: Protesters At National Assembly / Adams Unaji Is Dead (Occupy Nigeria Activist) / Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by mukina2: 9:07am On Jan 05, 2012

KANO – Nigerian Police in concert with memebers of Vigillante Group last night apply maximum force to disperse thousands of protesters occupying Kano city centre.

The incident occured around 1.30am , Thursday morning , as substantial part of the multitude were asleep at the centre after a convenant was signed between the Muslims and their Christian brothers on right to worship.

Eyewitnesses told Vanguard that the police fired several cannister of teargas at the sleeping crowd before unleashing violence on the protesters.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/fuel-subsidy-police-disperse-occupy-kano-protesters/
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Andrew3(m): 9:11am On Jan 05, 2012
[size=18pt]THIS IS LUGUBRIOUS, THE GOVERNMENT WILL LEAD THIS COUNTRY INTO A STATE OF DISMAL PISMA[/size] grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Okijajuju1(m): 9:28am On Jan 05, 2012
Good police work!!

And if they resist, open fire with live rounds. We shall not allow a Middle East type breakdown in Nigeria! angry
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by bros12345: 9:28am On Jan 05, 2012
Coup de tat

I didnt say so
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by moshoodn(m): 9:31am On Jan 05, 2012
So no more right to protest or what?
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by anonimi: 9:32am On Jan 05, 2012
FG places marketers under security watch (for sponsoring anti-[size=16pt]deregulation[/size] protests)

The Nation

A MAJOR crackdown on fuel marketers is on the way, The Nation learnt last night.

Security agents are worried over what a source said they see as a covert attempt to fuel the workers’ strike due to begin on Monday.

Under security watch are some marketers and labour leaders, who are believed to be planning to cause chaos nationwide.

Six marketers, who are said to be under probe for alleged covert financial support for some trade union leaders for the impending strike, may be arrested for interrogation, sources said.

Commercial banks have been under surveillance by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) following reports of likely huge cash withdrawals by some marketers to back the labour movement.

Security agents are said to have uncovered plans by some aggrieved marketers to bankroll the action with over N1billion slush funds.

It was gathered that a secret meeting was held between some marketers and members of the National Assembly on Tuesday night till early Wednesday to lobby the lawmakers to restore fuel subsidy in the 2012 Budget.
A security source, who cannot be named because of his position, said: “There is more to the strike. Some aggrieved marketers, who have been importing nothing but benefiting from fuel subsidy, are out to destabilise the government.

“We may have no cause than to crackdown on a few marketers trying to destroy the nation’s economy for selfish ends.

“We are probing some marketers for taking undue advantage of the issues raised by Labour to cause mayhem nationwide.

“Security agencies have identified six of the marketers, who are the arrowheads of this covert plot to bring down the government.

“These marketers have voted over N1billion to hijack the labour strike to make the nation ungovernable.

“Some of these marketers will soon be invited for questioning. And whoever is involved might be tried accordingly.”

He did not name the marketers, who the source said “are unhappy because the removal of subsidy will put an end to cooking of records to get refund from government and diversion of subsidised imported fuel to neighbouring countries where they make triple profit”.

He went on: “They are also angry that it will no longer be business-as-usual. They are some of the beneficiaries of fuel subsidy.

“Unfortunately, they have made labour leaders to believe that they are backing Nigerian workers for a just cause.”

Responding to a question, the source added: “These marketers do not even want labour to explore the dialogue option being offered by the Federal Government.

But the CBN Deputy Governor (Operations), Mr. Tunde Lemo, said:  “If anybody is concocting huge withdrawals to finance a national strike, it will fail.

“I think we should all rally round the government to allow this deregulation to succeed. There will be initial pains but Nigerians will enjoy the benefits.”

Pressed further on the security reports, Lemo said: “I am not aware of anything like that yet, but I will be surprised if anybody does that. I don’t think anybody should contemplate that. And whoever does that will face the wrath of the law.”
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Godmann(m): 9:36am On Jan 05, 2012
Come rain come sunshine, the time for the people to take over our government for the good of our people have come.

Who is not on the street yet?
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by ignis: 9:49am On Jan 05, 2012
Na wa 4 naija.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Kinikini: 9:53am On Jan 05, 2012
Honestly, does this govt need to even mention this to us or send the greedy marketers to jail with military dispatch.

JONNA, please fight this corruption with your soul. Spare nobody.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by anonimi: 9:53am On Jan 05, 2012
Godman_n:

Come rain come sunshine, the time for the people to take over our government for the good of our people have come.

Who is not on the street yet?

Did you post your reply from the street?
Which street?? In which town
Btw, how many Nigerians abroad are in countries where fuel is partly paid for by the government
Fuel is deregulated in the UK, USA, Europe etc where most Nigerians pray and fast just to get their visa and stay put.
Jonathan has made a bold, courageous yet unpopular move in the best niterest of the general masses who should rather ensure that political office holders do not SOLELY enjoy the benefits. Prices will go up now but once genuine fuel importers start bringing in products pending when refineries will work MORE the pump price will start going down. This can be done by re-examining the pay disparity/gap/differentials between ordinary civil servants in Nigeria on one hand and  political office holders- legislators, president, governors, LG Chairmen and their Aides, Special Assts, etc on the other.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by anonimi: 9:58am On Jan 05, 2012
Kinikini:

Honestly, does this govt need to even mention this to us or send the greedy marketers to jail with military dispatch.

JONNA, please fight this corruption with your soul. Spare nobody.

In case you left Nigeria before 1999, we are no longer RULED by military dictators who can whip people and throw them into jail at will such as murdereous Ayatollah Buhari did. I can imagine you engaging soldiers, policemen, even fire brigade, KAI etc to forcefully recover a personal debt for you- right  shocked
This is a democracy and you get your case built up solidly then charge the person to court where it is up to the judges to decide the matter.
In the meantime you can explore ways of discouraging her from embarking on a self-destructive route as is being done by the six marketers under investigation.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Kinikini: 9:59am On Jan 05, 2012
This demonstrations should include demand to review cost of governance in Nigeria. It is absolute shame that there are too many political office holders contributing nothing to Nigeria and yet on high remunerations. Despite they still steal heavily from the govt coffers.
This democrazy is laughable. I have never seen where a political elite is so fabulously rewarded for so much incompetency. From Aso Rock to common councellors, it is same high remuneration for unpardonable incompetency.

So terrible.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by jedisco(m): 10:01am On Jan 05, 2012
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by anonimi: 10:03am On Jan 05, 2012
Kinikini:

This demonstrations should include demand to review cost of governance in Nigeria. It is absolute shame that there are too many political office holders contributing nothing to Nigeria and yet on high remunerations. Despite they still steal heavily from the govt coffers.
This democrazy is laughable. I have never seen where a political elite is so fabulously rewarded for so much incompetency. From Aso Rock to common councellors, it is same high remuneration for unpardonable incompetency.

So terrible.

That is what the fake [size=14pt]comrades in NLC and TUC[/size] should be fighting vigorously except maybe somehow as the Nation's news story shows they are also [size=14pt]benefitting[/size] from the shennanigans that has been sold to us as governance in Nigeria up till now
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Kinikini: 10:04am On Jan 05, 2012
anomimi,

I do not canvass for military style dispensation of justice but at the same time I expect the govt to become serious with stopping corruption.
The govt is def insincere with deregulation. It is a case of political office holders trying to wrestle slush funds from greedy business men i.e markerters so to provide more funds for looting by politicians. Both sides do not have genuine concern for the common man.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 05, 2012
the nigerian police are bullies
and bullies are also cowards
and what do bullies do?
they pick up fights with people half of their strength,
and what do cowards do when fighting?they fight in packs and mostly not fair fights
Guns they say are for cowards

the Nigerian police can only fight the unarmed and cannot fight the armed, eg ND militants and Boko Haram
But they can kill and maim innocent people , what a shame,

what we have in not the Nigerian police but Elites Police, stop calling them the Nigerian police if they are so quick to kill and destroy you, what are they policing
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by sheyguy: 10:13am On Jan 05, 2012
Gej and his army can try hard to divide us along the ethnic line, it wont work in favour of him and his pple.
He shld man up and procecute the cabals and lets reverse the oil subsidy to the days of N200b/year.
N200B/yr of subsidy wont kill the economy if the pay and allowance his Govt has not killed it of all this while.
After that he can the think of taking it to N90 or N100/LTR to reduce the N200b+ yearly load on the govt.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by jedisco(m): 10:16am On Jan 05, 2012
mnm
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by anonimi: 10:18am On Jan 05, 2012
Kinikini:

anomimi,

I do not canvass for military style dispensation of justice but at the same time I expect the govt to become serious with stopping corruption.
The govt is def insincere with deregulation. It is a case of political office holders trying to wrestle slush funds from greedy business men i.e markerters so to provide more funds for looting by politicians. Both sides do not have genuine concern for the common man.

The government is You & I and the other 150m plus Nigerians. Not some alien from overseas or outer space!!!
Btw, do you know the name of your LG councillor? I do not mean her political party. Do you know how much she is supposed to earn LEGITIMATELY from her functions??
Same questions for your LG Chairman, State House of Assembly Legislator, National Assembly Representative and Senator.
Do you even know your electoral district names for all these political offices?
I look forward to your honest answer to these questions soon.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Beaf: 10:19am On Jan 05, 2012
So they ran away? Somebody posted pics showing them equipped with mattresses to camp there for months.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Beaf: 10:31am On Jan 05, 2012
Kinikini:

anomimi,

How do you loot in a deregulated market? It is like saying people can loot in the yam or auto markets etc.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Beaf: 10:33am On Jan 05, 2012
ehie:

the nigerian police are bullies
and bullies are also cowards
and what do bullies do?
they pick up fights with people half of their strength,
and what do cowards do when fighting?they fight in packs and mostly not fair fights
Guns they say are for cowards

the Nigerian police can only fight the unarmed and cannot fight the armed, eg ND militants and Boko Haram
But they can kill and maim innocent people , what a shame,

what we have in not the Nigerian police but Elites Police, stop calling them the Nigerian police if they are so quick to kill and destroy you, what are they policing

Why aren't you on the scene, testing these "cowards?" grin
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by ENZOSCIFO1: 10:43am On Jan 05, 2012
Hello Beaf,

You know over time I have come on board on this forum and read people call you all sorts of name, reason they do I guess its best known to the individuals responsible., but more importantly I am interested in having and intelligent discussion with you devoid of insults, sarcasm, tribal/ethnic or even religious differences. If you are game, then let me first ask the questions why do you think it is right for the govt. to scrap subsidy and why do you think the people should not protest such an act.

Waiting earnestly to hear from you,
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 05, 2012
We glorify these nincompoops by calling them #OccupyNigeria. I challenge them to Camp outside the January sun, morrafukkers !!
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by denony(m): 10:55am On Jan 05, 2012
anonimi:

Btw, how many Nigerians abroad are in countries where fuel is partly paid for by the government
Fuel is deregulated in the UK, USA, Europe etc where most Nigerians pray and fast just to get their visa and stay put.
Jonathan has made a bold, courageous yet unpopular move in the best niterest of the general masses who should rather ensure that political office holders do not SOLELY enjoy the benefits. Prices will go up now but once genuine fuel importers start bringing in products pending when refineries will work MORE the pump price will start going down. This can be done by re-examining the pay disparity/gap/differentials between ordinary civil servants in Nigeria on one hand and  political office holders- legislators, president, governors, LG Chairmen and their Aides, Special Assts, etc on the other.

those countries u mentioned above have steady light year in year out.
In your country people use fuel to get light and other things.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by chakula: 11:17am On Jan 05, 2012
jedisco:

I pity the Christians among them. These blood-thirsty eediots will soon turn on them when the Government refuses to listen to them

what is your problem if you don't have a positive input why can't you walk away!
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by anonimi: 11:56am On Jan 05, 2012
denony:

those countries u mentioned above have steady light year in year out.
In your country people use fuel to get light and other things.

Thank you. I am sure the steady light is not also paid for partly by the government to the [size=14pt]marketers[/size]- or is it
Government has no business of doing business. Its role should stop at monitoring quality and other criteria to ensure fair [size=14pt]competition[/size] and then tax the profits adequately. Anything else is an invitation to corruption as is evident in economies that are government-led.
Btw, this [size=14pt]deregulation[/size] of the petroleum downstream sector coupled with active deregulation of the power sector SHOULD allow real investors come in for efficient production, distribution and pricing for the people's benefit leading to IMPROVED supply rather than the RENT SEEKERS who are milking us dry in the pretext of non-existent subsidy.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by Godmann(m): 12:48pm On Jan 05, 2012
anonimi:

For you information; I have been on the streets even before this. I was on the streets to stop GEJ. I wrote so many articles and was threatened by GEJ inner clique, when I tried to expose him for what he (with his PDP criminals) gangs are. I was forced to go underground 3 days to the election. I nominated myself CPC agent in Enugu just to stop GEJ. Of course I saw firsthand the rigging they perpetuated during the election in the east. They sent soldiers after me. So I am not a new man when it comes to fighting these criminals.

The Fuels strike is good so long as it brings the facts of our struggle clearer to the masses. I have always known that GEJ (PDP, ACN, CPC minus Buhari) are bunch of criminals.

So I am on the streets and will remain on the streets until good governance is restored not only in Nigeria, but in Africa.

I call myself an authority in this struggle because I have all the facts. I know GEJ is a criminal. I know most Nigeria politicians are criminal. I want all of them to be exposed. I want the masses to stand up and claim our rightful power.

As for your idiotic comparison of Nigeria with developed western Economies, you should know that I spent over 5 of my working years in Britain. I did not live there as an uninformed children. I lived there as a working adult, and made serious efforts to understudy the difference between their country and ours.

You should tell me why Ministers in Britain should resign for over-shooting their allowance by 4,000pounds (1mm equivalent), whereas ours embezzle billions and nothing happens. Tell me why Godon Brown should live in a flat while even councilors here own palaces. Tell me why a Councillor here will drive in convoy while Obama's vice went to work as a senator for years using public transport systems. Tell me why minsters in Britain use trains to work while ours use convoy of jeeps.

Tell me why Education should be free in Britain while it is un-affordable in Nigeria. Tell me why hospitals should be free in Britain while ours is not. Tell me why police can investigate a sitting Prime Minister in Britain to the extent of reading his private email, while our even governors should be untouchables here.

Tell me why these criminals do not all deserve to die.

anonimi:

Thank you. I am sure the steady light is not also paid for partly by the government to the [size=14pt]marketers[/size]- or is it
Government has no business of doing business. Its role should stop at monitoring quality and other criteria to ensure fair [size=14pt]competition[/size] and then tax the profits adequately. Anything else is an invitation to corruption as is evident in economies that are government-led.
Btw, this [size=14pt]deregulation[/size] of the petroleum downstream sector coupled with active deregulation of the power sector SHOULD allow real investors come in for efficient production, distribution and pricing for the people's benefit leading to IMPROVED supply rather than the RENT SEEKERS who are milking us dry in the pretext of non-existent subsidy.

Convoluted logic. I am sure it is also not the government that funds those schools I mentioned. I am sure the hospitals are not paid for by government. I am sure all the good roads in Britain are privatized. I am sure the judiciary was privatized and that is why they can deliver sound judgement. I am sure their banking regulator was privatized and their credit reporting system introduced by private body. I am certain their police was privatized and that is why government manipulation could not affect them.

I am also sure that during the privatization as happened in Nigerian that the politicians sold all the prime companies to themselves for nothing. I am sure that you there are so many Dangotes in Britain that dumps all stupid goods on us without paying any duty to government; making them effective monopolies.

I am sure that was how Britain or any other western nation got developed
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by odumchi: 1:08pm On Jan 05, 2012
No more right to peaceful protest.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by freecocoa(f): 1:54pm On Jan 05, 2012
So people shouldn't protest again or what? I think its high time people protest for the scraping of NPF,this their bullying of innocent people is already out of hand.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by shokayz(m): 2:09pm On Jan 05, 2012
Kings Square, sapele road,
Mission rd and Sokpoba Rd cos serious riot in
progress! Burning of fire and fighting going on in
Benin!!
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Armed Police Attack Protesters At Night In Kano by anonimi: 3:33pm On Jan 05, 2012
@ Godman,

It seems you missed this part of my post:

Government has no business of doing business. Its role should stop at monitoring quality and other criteria to ensure fair competition and then tax the profits adequately. Anything else is an invitation to corruption as is evident in economies that are government-led.

Btw, Buhari is also a criminal just like the rest of them except that he knows how to disguise as a clean man just like other religious hypocrites.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Black Sprinters Dominate The Olympics! They're From West Africa / Map Of Proposed Atlantic State To Be Carved Out From Akwa Ibom & Rivers / Governor Hope Uzodinma Revalidates His APC Membership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.