Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,383 members, 7,954,554 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:06 PM

What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy (6090 Views)

Nightmares On Benin-ore Road Before Goodluck's Tenure; See What GEJ Has Done! / 2015: Gej Should Drop Sambo For Chime / GEJ Should Be Impeached - LA Times Joel Brinkley (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by lwise(m): 10:04am On Jan 05, 2012
Im in support of fuel subsidy removal but I expect it to be gradual.The only mistake GEJ did was removing it once.If you really think about it,the fuel is being subsidised for the rich(fleet of cars,generators runing 247) and a good percentage of the fuel goes to neighbouring countries after being subsidised by government.It is as if Nigeria government is subsidizing fuel for west africa. The only problem im having is that,if the subsidy is removed will the money be use to develop the country?
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Seun(m): 10:10am On Jan 05, 2012
lwise:

Im in support of fuel subsidy removal but I expect it to be gradual.The only mistake GEJ did was removing it once.
I've been saying the same thing. The shock approach is a big mistake. Most people cannot afford such shocks.

If the subsidy is removed will the money be use to develop the country?
In my current opinion, the answer is no. I think the fuel subsidy is better than most of the ideas they come up with.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by lwise(m): 10:46am On Jan 05, 2012
^^^^
GEJ is listening to too many peoples opinion at a time and thats one of his major problem.One thing I realise is that,when you are too linient you cant rule and when you are too strict you cant be a leader.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Reflector: 10:57am On Jan 05, 2012
GEJ should have first improved power supply in the country since 80% of the fuel we buy is to power generators. Sell off the 4 refinaries so they can work at peak and optimum conditions as the new owners would tackle the massive corruption in the system.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 06, 2012
A good one on Fuel Subsidy from FELA DUROTOYE, D best argument so far,

Since I got back into Nigeria yesterday, I have heard some preposterous arguments that the removal of the fuel subsidy will be justified by wise investments that will benefit all.

My response has been, How will a wasteful government suddenly realize the genius of prudence and making the right investment decisions sim, ply bcs there is more money available from oil subsidy removal?

Will there be less graft & bribes involved in process of issuing the road contracts or power contracts?

Have we sought to honestly find every way we can plug wastage in our leaking economy before we ask a feeble populace to carry the burden of corruption and gross ineptitude of a gluttonous few?

Have the Presidency, the State & Local Governments and the Legislature discovered how to travel without a convoy of 20 cars to the airport?

Can the occupiers of these lofty positions act in honour as Barack Obama did in 2010 when he got every member of his cabinet to take a pay cut, starting with himself?

Within his first few days as British Prime Minister, David Cameron led the austerity cuts (upon his assumption) by cutting down his convoy to 2 cars and one outrider. The Members of Parliament in Britain are now only allowed 3rd class train tickets on official travel (as opposed to their traditional first class train ticket allowances). The Mayor of London now rides a bicycle to work.
Leadership by example!!!

How come our 'leaders' in government earn so much and still spend so much furnishing the same houses and offices they furnished with our money last year?

Do you furnish your office every year? Why should the President, Governor or Senate President?

Wasteful leadership cannot make prudent investments!!!!! Q.E.D

The change we need is not just policy. Its in the quality of mind and persons at policy making positions.

That said, how will we effectively deliver sustainable desired-change? ,
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by fred2265: 11:20am On Jan 06, 2012
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by jidewin(m): 11:32am On Jan 06, 2012
ARES:

A good one on Fuel Subsidy from FELA DUROTOYE,  D best argument so far,

Since I got back into Nigeria yesterday, I have heard some preposterous arguments that the removal of the fuel subsidy will be justified by wise investments that will benefit all.

My response has been, How will a wasteful government suddenly realize the genius of prudence and making the right investment decisions sim, ply bcs there is more money available from oil subsidy removal?

Will there be less graft & bribes involved in process of issuing the road contracts or power contracts?

Have we sought to honestly find every way we can plug wastage in our leaking economy before we ask a feeble populace to carry the burden of corruption and gross ineptitude of a gluttonous few?

Have the Presidency, the State & Local Governments and the Legislature discovered how to travel without a convoy of 20 cars to the airport?

Can the occupiers of these lofty positions act in honour as Barack Obama did in 2010 when he got every member of his cabinet to take a pay cut, starting with himself?

Within his first few days as British Prime Minister, David Cameron led the austerity cuts (upon his assumption) by cutting down his convoy to 2 cars and one outrider. The Members of Parliament in Britain are now only allowed 3rd class train tickets on official travel (as opposed to their traditional first class train ticket allowances). The Mayor of London now rides a bicycle to work.
Leadership by example!!!

How come our 'leaders' in government earn so much and still spend so much furnishing the same houses and offices they furnished with our money last year?

Do you furnish your office every year? Why should the President, Governor or Senate President?

The change we need is not just policy. Its in the quality of mind and persons at policy making positions.

Good posting.same reason why answers to questions such as:"What happened to the deregulation of diesel and kerosene which have been sold at higher prices compared to PMS till date".None,including aunty Ngo could give a concise and clear answer to that.
There is absolutely nothing wrong in "removing fuel subsidy,especially on PMS" *mind u,its in quote* as I don't believe there is fuel subsidy at all,except incumbent government is saying,let's stop this ""SPECIAL MONEY SHARING amongst top govt offcials and their friends,so as to enable GEJ govt do something tangible during his tenure"".
If present govt today says,"fellow nigerians govt henceforth shall proscribe importation of refined PMS,diesel and kerosene,and also revoke the licences of refined crude products,except grant licences for the exportation.And also,this govt shall improve and enalrge our refineries from 4 to 12 units within 4-7 years.As such,the need for *subsidy removal* is paramount to cater for all our promises to thhe nigerian people during our campaign for office".WALAI,its the people who will canvass for jonathans 6 years single term tenure and not him seeking to lobby the NAS.Nigerians will raise monuments in his image to last for centuries.but rather,jona behaved foolishly.putting the cart'an overloaded one at that before THE MULE not a horse.what possible direction do u think the nation will be heading?
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by dammytosh: 11:32am On Jan 06, 2012
If I were Jonathan. Irrespective of whatever any Okonjo or Sanusi says, i will remove subsidy but with this aproach.

1. I will start consultation since Jan 1 2011.
2. I will start door to door sensitization since 1 January 2011 and start the privatization of the refineries with due process in mind.
3. I will prepare the masses mind that 100% subsidy would be removed.
4. In January 1 2012, I will remove 50% of the fuel subsidy and make power sector the priority.
5. By July 2012, I will give account of how the 50% removed so far has been utilized.
6. I will privatize the refineries.
7. Aggresive development of power sector would continue.
8. Jan 1 2013, I will remove 25% out of the remaining 50% on the subsidy and face power sector.
9. Jan 1 2014, I will remove the remaining 25%.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by jidewin(m): 11:32am On Jan 06, 2012
ARES:

A good one on Fuel Subsidy from FELA DUROTOYE,  D best argument so far,

Leadership by example!!!

Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by bkrfashua: 11:40am On Jan 06, 2012
the subsidyu removal would not have been harsh on nigerians if our refineries were to be working with constant power and water supply. Nigerian lifestyle is tied to oil which shouldnt be.the govt has done nothing for us over time.i fuel my gen , i drill my own borehole for water etc.so wat do they have to offer.let them also subsidize their jumbo pay cos nobody is talking about that.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by obi58: 11:48am On Jan 06, 2012
arguing that fuel subsidy should be removed because it favours the rich over the poor and to check smuggling of subsidised fuel to other countries is to validate the gross inefficiency  of government in delivering on its expected functions and to justify the ineptitude of governement in checking the massive cancer of corruption which has eaten deep into every fabric of the economy especially govt itself. That is why regardless of the funds pumped into the refineries they are still not working. Saying fuel is smuggled to other countries should be a slap to the face of govt because if border patrols, customs and the various govt security apparatus are effective in the discharge of thier duty, then smuggling and even boko haram should not be an issue.

Arguing that subsidy removal will free funds for capital investment because up to 70% of the budget will be on recurrent expenditure begs the question why govt is not focused on reducing the huge cost maintained on running the gross failure that is govt. Paycuts which should be progressively higher based on ranks espcially for the executive and legislature should be introduced, work size of the highly inefficent civl service pruned strictly on merit and more loans should be issued to encourage SMEs with close and vigilant monitoring.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by doctokwus: 11:51am On Jan 06, 2012
N300b,that's d actual cost of subsidy in a year,d N1.3t came frm cooking of d books,& this amt is not bad for an economy of our size.
That aside,those saying d timing was d problem don't evn realise d enormous damage its removal will do to an economy that's developing or rather lays claim to wanting to develop like nigeria's,am evn surprised that d 'economy god',Okonjo Iweala isn't evn seeing d disaster removal will cause.What do I mean:for an economy to grow u need to stimulate spending,jst like d american govt has bn using every available method to do in the states,when citizens spend,companies,retailers,every biz concern makes an income,this is used to sustain or evn improve production,wages are paid,goods are bought,d govt makes mony thru taxation of these income generating grps whc it uses to build infrastructure,pay govt employees& generally run d country,borrowing is less,less interest paid on borrowed funds,thus mony freed up for dvt.
Contrast this wt d situation now in nigeria,evn at this early stage:people av started cutting down on expenditure,d market man/woman is getting less net income,evn @higher prices,d farmer or trader bringing d goods is getting less,companies& production outfits are thinking of cutting down on employees,less mony accrues to d economy,there is less dvt.For us to build or evn pay employees d govt has to borrow,greater amt is spent on servicing our debts;people cannot afford hosp bills bc they av to feed 1st,mor people fall sick,etc.Its a downward spiral that can only bring d economy down,rather dan d taunted dvt d govt claims we wud benefit frm d withdrawal.
Its very obvious that d govt has bn fooled into seeing subsidy frm one perspective only& may in d process b setting our economy on a freightening slope.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Lanreexcel: 11:52am On Jan 06, 2012
To my own understanding,since i have brought up in this Country i did not heard or read it in the history of this country that any president have try to remove the money for fuel subsidy,but in the Jonathan Era it happen,so if the leader of this country want to remove the fuel subsidy they must first reduce their monthly salary and use it to develop this country then we are going to know that if they remove the subsidy they we utilized it properly.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by CHIMCO(m): 11:53am On Jan 06, 2012
Subsidy removal is good but it was illtimed. Reasons 1. From the earlier deliberations, it was targeted to commence on April 2012 but, it was fixed on 1st Jan, 2012 which is unbearable to the masses esp when the subsidized 2011 budjet is still running till 31st of March 2011. 2. The rail system should be working optimally before removal. 3. The alleged buses that he is tying to provide should have been in place before the removal. 4. The Power sector and the Refineries should have been working optimally before removal. Now that we found ourselves in this situation, the best thing to do is to send back the proposed anti subsidy budjet back to the executive for amendment.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by onatisi(m): 11:58am On Jan 06, 2012
in my own opinion jonathan has lost the respect and trust of all nigerians.personally i have been telling people that this man is on drugs which makes him totally dull and stupid but lets see if his advisers can help him out.not even a retarded cursed man will behave the way if is acting.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by queensmith: 12:05pm On Jan 06, 2012
Removing the subsidy the way he did was needed to avoid hoarding and false scarcity. Theres no way to 'prepare' people for such.

But IMO he should have started by borrowing a fraction of the money that was guaranteed to saved from the subsidy removal and investing it to demonstrate exactly what intentions he has for it.

At least if the had began a capital project with the borrowed money- its easier to tell the people the need to raise money to complete it.

Just like when Fashola had proven what taxes were going towards. Rather than take all the money, make the people suffer and the only improvement they see in the infrastructure is those they have dreamed!
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by cgift(m): 12:18pm On Jan 06, 2012
but have we even asked and answered the question : "DOES SUBSIDY EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE ?"
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by totorimi: 12:49pm On Jan 06, 2012
It is rather unfortunate that the president has allowed himself to be pushed around and now he has been boxed into a corner where the cabal wants him to be. Now he has found himself in between the devil and the deep blue sea. The choice before him now are very grave except he has the grace of God to see him through this. On the one hand he cannot revert totally back to N65 else he will be seen as a man who does not think processes through before acting and which is an impeachable tendency secondly sticking to his gun means that the economy will be in shambles in the next few days and he will be held responsible for no averting the impending strike action. IMO the forces at play are far more than what GEJ has anticipated, the opposition will use this miscalculation is policy to hit hard at him so much so that he will wish that he hadn't been president. The worst of all this is that either the military returns or GEJ is disgraced out of office.

Now so much for the analysis coming back to the man GEJ. This president is an opportunist who came into power through a stroke of luck and providence. He cannot claim to be unaware of the various attempts by elements still serving in his government who were hell bent on not seeing his accendance to the presidency. Whether he likes it or not it is the masses that made him what he is today, and i can say it is still this same masses that can keep him there. When you fall out of favor with ypur backbone the rest is history and that is where the guy is is in a hurry to get to.
GEJ would have done a wole lot of good to be diplomatic about this subsidy issue which many have thread caustiously in the past to dabble into. Today now Yaradua is beeing eulogised, why? because he acted in a manner that was for the masses by reversing the petrol pump price from 70k to 65k which the daredevil OBJ jerked it to on the eve his exit from power.

The question we are asking is if government is continous and GEJ is for the masses why this sudden increament of over 100%. Wouldn't it have been better to engage the stakeholders especially the masses whom you campaigned to promising the better life and agreeing on a phased removal thereby showing the understanding of the situtation of the masses and the country as a whole.

Now they are suddenly buying 1,600 mass transit buses on the spur of the moment. Would it not have been better to procure all this ahead and show to the people as part of efforts geared towards ameliorating their pain before this senseless pronoucement.

Those who have led the preseident into this mess are still the same agents of Boko Haram, they are still the same agents working against the power sector, they are the cabal that the president knows so well but afraid to touch. The untouchables. They are all over in the federal executive council, ministries, parastatal, state governors, local government and private sector and even labour unions, student union etc.

The president is surely acting like a novice in this game which they are capitalising upon to work at him.

Okonjo Iweala theory cannot be applied raw just like that into the Nigerian situation without a proper adaptation to the Nigerian system. We are not different from the rest of the world only we are peculiar in our ways.

My candid advice to the president at time like this is to remember the Arab spring. No one man can defeat the collective will of the people. If we Nigerians have said NO. You are there because of Nigerians my advise to you is to make a detour, thats wisdom and maturity. Get the stakeholders together, I know you wont want to go back to N65 because of the implications on your person but work on the psychy of the stakeholders. You faulted in the first place by imposing the rude shock on us. Swallow your pride and return back to something close to N65 naira per litre, by no means should you allow this strike to happen, find every method you know to avert it for posterity sake and for your own political career.

God bless Nigeria
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Zi: 1:03pm On Jan 06, 2012
D country is broke due to wasteful spending of our "once shoeless" leader. I mean his allowances & that of his cohorts. Politics is now a full-time occupation even for some SSCE holders. If therefore the nation suddenly wants to start saving, they should begin with themselves, d senators, d ministers etc. There will not be as much problems if he tells us what comforts he is giving up for our common good. It will not be fair 4 d masses to be mergerly bringing out to 'save' when d ruling class is 'cordinating' or 'reinvesting' d saving back into their own pockets.

My 1cent.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Zi: 1:04pm On Jan 06, 2012
D country is broke due to wasteful spending of our "once shoeless" leader. I mean his allowances & that of his cohorts. Politics is now a full-time occupation even for some SSCE holders. If therefore the nation suddenly wants to start saving, they should begin with themselves, d senators, d ministers etc. There will not be as much problems if he tells us what comforts he is giving up for our common good. It will not be fair 4 d masses to be mergerly bringing out to 'save' when d ruling class is 'cordinating' or 'reinvesting' d saving back into their own pockets.

My 1cent.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Zi: 1:05pm On Jan 06, 2012

My 1cent.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Zi: 1:06pm On Jan 06, 2012

My 1cent.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Zi: 1:16pm On Jan 06, 2012

My 1cent.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Kabikala(m): 1:28pm On Jan 06, 2012
In my view, what Jonathan should have done are in 3 parts:

1.) Gradual subsidy withdrawal over two years: This will achieve two things: make the pains more bearable by the public and generate public confidence on the benefits to be derived by them from what the proceeds could be used for. If for example, 30% withdrawal was implemented and within 6 months the Abuja-Lokoja expressway is completely dualized, Lagos-Benin expressway rehabilitated, Owerri-Port Harcourt expressway rehabilitated and Abuja-Kano rail put in place, we can be hopeful that the subsidy is for public good.

2.) Let the sacrifice come from both the government and the people: [/b]The way it is now, I can't see the government officials making any sacrifice. Salaries of all political office holders at all levels should be cut by 50%, constituency project allowance removed from the pay of parliamentarians and overseas travels banned for the next one year for all government officials. I fully endorse Buhari's recommendations in this regard. Remember Nigeria had the largest delegation to the 2011 Commonwealth meeting in Australia at 120 and no one knows what we benefited.

[b]3.) More transparency and accountability in governance and improved anti-corruption efforts:
Ensure the audit of NNPC by an international audit firm with labor representation, ensure the enactment of relevant laws to enable the public access the asset declaration records of all government officials, prosecute everyone indicted in the Halliburton, Siemens, Wilbros and many other scandals even including the Okigbo panel reports. A Jonathan that spent 50 billion naira on the 2010 independence day celebration and purchased 3 aircraft to add to the presidential fleet does not look like someone with cash problems.

I am fully in support of fuel subsidy removal if all these are done.

The way the fight is raging on now, labour appears not to be focused by obstinately insisting on the continuation of subsidy which I am convinced does not benefit the Nigeria economy overall. In addition, erstwhile government officials like Fani-Kayode and El-Rufai who were part of the Obasanjo regime which also increased fuel prices are also saying no to subsidy now that it is convenient. Even babangida (deliberately written in small case) that oversaw the implementation of the economic tragedy called SAP where our refineries were left to collapse and fuel importation was the order of the day is opposed to subsidy removal. Too many hypocrites and emergency activists around.

I am also uncomfortable with the fact that the protests are more intense in the north that had no antecedent with civil society activism in recent times (June 12 and the Yar'Adua saga are great reminders); the same north that had never unreservedly condemn the genocidal Boko Haram and never led any protest against it.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by manmustwac(m): 2:39pm On Jan 06, 2012
Bookmarked
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Goddex: 2:41pm On Jan 06, 2012
Phased or gradual removal of subsidy will not achieve the purpose.

In economics, government needs not fix prices of products.
Remember, the thinking of government is to attract investments
in that sector. No investor will set up a refinery only for government
to decide for him how much he should sell his products. To be honest,
if gov tries it on MTN, Glo or Airtel etc they will all fold up.

So, it is either a government is deregulating or still regulating.

If a government wants more money in its kitty and attract economic growth
and investment  to downstream sector, it deregulates completely, which is what GEJ is doing.

But, if a government is broke and needs more money,
it increases pump prices while still regulating. Obasanjo, Abdulsalam, Abacha and IBB did just that.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by ortopazz(m): 2:49pm On Jan 06, 2012
MySelf, had been a proponent of this whole subsidy thing, after watching the town hall meeting for the second time on channels tv, santsi in clear words said we were nt evn subsidizing, rather what we were doing was called 'RENT' buh not until yesterday 06th Jan.2012, when I read the Backpage of The Nation newspaper where Fapo fawowora stated that the govt. Was broke, and owing to the tune of 1.3trillion.

Amidst this, capital budget and all that wasnt included, so it got me thinking, can I really this man? On his word, y not come out bluntly and hit the nail on tha head? We will undastand better!

So I thought! Or av I been openly blinded?
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by Solozzo(m): 2:56pm On Jan 06, 2012
Fuel subsidy is the only visible govt financial support for the poor. Buying fuel @ 140N equate it to fuel price in Australia where minimum welfare payout for the unemployed is 150,000N equivalent per month after tax.

We need to put in place support systems like good road, regular power supply and save money by  fighting corruption as well as job availability. Since these have not been achieved, fuel subsidy should continue.
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by queensmith: 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2012
cgift:

but have we even asked and answered the question : "DOES SUBSIDY EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE ?"

you might actually be right!

http://saharareporters.com/interview/oil-subsidy-fiction-okonjo-iweala-here-seduce-people-accept-callous-oil-subsidy-removal-ta
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by ortopazz(m): 3:15pm On Jan 06, 2012
buh y al thz lies?
Re: What GEJ Should Have Done On Fuel Subsidy by ortopazz(m): 3:28pm On Jan 06, 2012
I am sick tired of the govt. And other people, parastatals or whatever treating Abuja and Lagos as their baine of concentration, 4 christ sake the population quota reads 160.mili, and not 2o,3omili as these 2 places might eventualy sum up!

You say that you have given 16oo buses 4 d metropolis, 4 christ sake other humans exist in Nigeria, what of we down here in the south, so u get our votes and thats it? What nonsense, I wish my people wil b also treated this way.

Our oils are rigged and yet no single refinery dwn here functioning to show 4 it. I feel so enraged!

4ck d govt.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Promote Hausa Great Culture To Forge Peace / Labaran Maku About To Unseat Governor Almakura In Tribunal / Atiku Disgraced And Humiliated During His Town Hall Meeting In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.