Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,373 members, 7,853,669 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 09:15 PM

Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. (938 Views)

Most Expensive And Luxurious Presidential Planes In The World. / Fuel Subsidy And Exchange Rate / Retain Subsidy And Perish- Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by allycat: 3:34am On Jan 09, 2012
We bought diesel last week for our generator, after the removal of the subsidy on PMS and the noticed that there was hardly any increment in the price. This makes me wonder why luxury buses from the east whose running cost have not increased also increased their prices by almost 200%. We are all shouting ourselves hoarse at the government and private businesses are using the opportunity to rip us off, while we remain mute. HFor the same reason BRT buses in Lagos or molues or trailers carrying foodstuff from the north have no business increasing their prices as they are not affected in any way since they use diesel. The airline industry also is not affected their fuel was deregulated ages ago so if they increase their prices it will only be due to greed.
So while we curse at our government we should also curse those fellow common men who are making life more difficult for their fellow common man.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by Nchara: 3:36am On Jan 09, 2012
Good point
Some of the citizens crying hoarse about subsidy removal are as corrupt as hell.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by Kobojunkie: 3:43am On Jan 09, 2012
Well @Poster, luxury bus companies also purchase other goods, including services, apart from diesel. I would think that with the cost of fuel up, cost of goods and services also go up and in order to maintain their profits, the bus companies would need to increase fare cost.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by allycat: 3:54am On Jan 09, 2012
Increase their prices, yes but not 200%.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by hercules07: 6:59am On Jan 09, 2012
Luxurious bus owners use the 18 seater buses as well, infact, we have more of those 18 seaters than the long luxurious buses on the road.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by seunlayi(m): 9:16am On Jan 09, 2012
i wonder why they increase the fares.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by Wilywily11: 10:34am On Jan 09, 2012
Please every one ignore any Strike called by Fraudulent Yorubas and Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulanis.
Oil is not theirs, Soooooo if they want free petrol let them kill some of their kinsmen and refine their blood to petrol. Silly Stuuupiid people.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by KnowAll(m): 10:38am On Jan 09, 2012
Ngozi has said there is no reasons for public transporters to increase prices because they use diesel. So those transporters are fraudster.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by OmoPastor(m): 10:46am On Jan 09, 2012
Corruption is not a government thing rather it is a nigerian thing. every nigerian is corrupt.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by londoner: 11:02am On Jan 09, 2012
@OP, yes, I was thinking the same thing. One one of the other threads I was asking what type of fuel is used on buses, Okada etc, nobody answered, I assume they want to be left to delude themselves that it is the government and them alone who are causing their hardship.

Nigerians are using this opportunity to cheat other Nigerians, simple.

People are not even asking questions of their neighbor let alone the president.

Or do we believe that the average Nigerians has become a saint overnight?

They are cashing in unjustifiably.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by Abagworo(m): 11:12am On Jan 09, 2012
You guys are as myopic as Okonjo-Iweala on the impact of fuel price. Everything in the market has tripled in price because of the fuel price increase. A kilo of turkey is now 1,300 Naira for instance. The salaries of my company staff is being considered for 200% increase while US dollar is likely to reach 250 Naira per dollar.

Assuming their was subsidy don't you pro-subsidy guys think that with the devaluation of Naira, the 141 Naira per litre will be increased again since oil is traded in Dollars.
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by londoner: 11:40am On Jan 09, 2012
Abagworo:

You guys are as myopic as Okonjo-Iweala on the impact of fuel price. Everything in the market has tripled in price because of the fuel price increase. A kilo of turkey is now 1,300 Naira for instance. The salaries of my company staff is being considered for 200% increase while US dollar is likely to reach 250 Naira per dollar.

Assuming their was subsidy don't you pro-subsidy guys think that with the devaluation of Naira, the 141 Naira per litre will be increased again since oil is traded in Dollars.

I don't doubt prices have gone up, but is it also due to people capitalising on the increase rather than as a direct result of it?

For example, where diesel is used, why is the price going up?

We can never underestimate the "Nigerian factor", undecided
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by DisGuy: 12:02pm On Jan 09, 2012
allycat:

We bought diesel last week for our generator, after the removal of the subsidy on PMS and the noticed that there was hardly any increment in the price. This makes me wonder why luxury buses from the east whose running cost have not increased also increased their prices by almost 200%. We are all shouting ourselves hoarse at the government and private businesses are using the opportunity to rip us off, while we remain mute. HFor the same reason BRT buses in Lagos or molues or trailers carrying foodstuff from the north have no business increasing their prices as they are not affected in any way since they use diesel. The airline industry also is not affected their fuel was deregulated ages ago so if they increase their prices it will only be due to greed.
So while we curse at our government we should also curse those fellow common men who are making life more difficult for their fellow common man.

IT is also the responsibility of the FG to prevent these sort of profiteering, so why blame nigerians when we have people with the power to do so?

if this was done in US, UK there are govt departments that will come down hard on them, joe blog will report it to someone in govt, who will wale eze report it to? with all the overbloated govt departments who do nigerian consumers complain to get a result/refund?
Re: Fuel Subsidy And Luxurious Bus Companies. by Kobojunkie: 12:12pm On Jan 09, 2012
allycat:

Increase their prices, yes but not 200%.

Can you show us for that there is no reason for em to increase prices by 100%? Considering that the cost of fuel has more than doubled in a period of days -- going from Naira 65 to about Naira 140(we are talking almost 150%) . I don't think it is completely unbelievable that the cost of transport would also go up about 100%.

I know we have this half-sighted way of looking at things but I welcome you to really consider what it means to be a diesel bus driver in Nigeria. These are ordinary people whose cost of food, goods and services, and even cost of repairing their diesel buses has taken a significant hit because of increase in price of fuel. Think about it a bit. Cost of Garri has gone up. Cost of transportation for members of their families daily commute has gone up. Cost of lunch for them has probably gone up. Even cost of spare parts and mechanic service has also gone up as a result of the more than doubling in fuel cost. 

Where do you think they will get the money to offset the rise elsewhere? Of course they will have to increase fares if they want to continue to make profit and live. Many of the bus drivers do not work for corporations that will consider increasing their wages to match the new reality. Even so, to offset the cost of doing that as well, it makes sense then that cost of your ride on the diesel bus goes up to fit.

Isn't this secondary school economics for pete's sake?

(1) (Reply)

Where Is GEJ Leading Nigeria To? / How PHCN Operates. / Can You Immagine What Abati Just Said No Hope For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.