Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,314 members, 7,839,509 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen (6157 Views)

US Seeking To Replace Putin With Cia-backed Regime: Madsen / ‘army Getting New Weapons To Combat B’ Haram’ / Kano Bombings: Give Weapons To Igbos For Self-defence - Ezeife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Afam(m): 8:43am On Oct 10, 2007
texazzpete:

@naijaking1
The funny thing is, it'll be difficult for you to escape the 'anti-israeli' tag, simply because you guys seem to exhibit a lot of bias towards the Israeli situation.
I mean, China has annexed Tibet for tens of years now, and i've NEVER seen any Nairalander talk about this before. Why the focus on the Israeli 'occupation'?
[b]
People here are a funny lot. They lambast george Bush for not listening to the UN and invading Iran. [/b]That same UN (a legitimate body) approved a small strip of land in the desert for Israel, and everyone rains fire and brimstone.

You see what heavy bias and blind support for Bush is doing to this man? Has Iran been invaded already?

@Kobojunkie,

Your hypocrisy is stinking to high heavens. So, I insult anyone that disagrees with me abi? There is no better lie than this because unlike you I accept responsibilities of my actions. I have never insulted anyone on this forum for any reason but have always responded to insults in kind, no regrets, no apologies, if you can live with this fact just go straight to hell because people who lie and misinform should be avoided at all cost.

While disagreeing with you on this forum I openly apologized for accusing you of making a wrong statement, that is what reasonable people do. Trying to be right all the time even when you are clearly wrong is counter productive. Finding it difficult to accept mistakes is one of the greatest problems people like you have and unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do about it, I believe it is a way of life for you so live it to the end.

Don't just come and and talk nonsense about objectivity when you find it supremely difficult to apply it.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by chidichris(m): 9:28am On Oct 10, 2007
pls people here shld stop wasting their time on this thing called afam because his dust bin(inbox) can supply poison capable of destroying enugu state over-night.
the beast is stocked in the middle of nowhere always ready to pollute the environment and he is not ready to learn.
if wole soyinka and gani or even chinue achebe happen to be here to teach him, they will be repplied with his insults so no need flogging a dead cow.
the thing is so blind folded that important issues like the etteh saga and the pdp dramas are not worth discussing especially when it is obvious that he can't get anyone's support but he will always ask u for evidence to prove that etteh is a criminal.
he has refused to mix up with the rest of the world instead has decided to make his inbox-dust bin his god.
he has refused to accept the realities on ground and discuss enugu state since he is not ready to hear the truth from the horse's mouth rather he has decided to live his life in the world on fantasy.
ask mr. afam if he has even seen an iran man all his life if not on tv. ask the beast if hs has seen a man from zimbabwe before if not on tv. such embecile has never had a one on one discussion with anyone outside nigerians all his life yet he is out to prove direct sources wrong and project his inbox as his source.
the fool who said that the most intelligent man the world have seen is iran president.
pls afam be informed that there was a protest in tehran day before yesterday over the visit of iran president to a school and i know your inbox will have nothing to offer on that(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/08/world/main3341149.shtml)
(http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8S53G500&show_article=1)
you have half education and it is very dangerious so get yourself well equiped or disengage yourself totally because as it is, you are more dangerious than the much talk about wmd
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Afam(m): 10:32am On Oct 10, 2007
No comment. It seems that this guy is improving by the day, at least one can make sense of his posts. Keep it up.

After all said and done he gets to use the forum as a school. Sorry, done with teaching you or correcting you as you don't even say thank you. Bye bye.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by naijaking1: 11:00am On Oct 10, 2007
@Afam, Chidichris, and all

I said to you what I said to Davidlyn and Kobojunkie earlier: Let's keep it civil.

You see, we were able to educate each other for a short while without the abuse.

There was a good reason why we were told to respect our oponents during our high school debating societies.

Another example is the ongoing presidential debates.

A civil disagreement or debate can occur without explatives, and innuendos.

As adults, it's apparent that each of us knows how to haul insults/assults/attacks, but it really takes effort away from the major points under discussion.

Personally, I like to share my point of view, fill up gaps in my knowledge, and even educate others without being distracted by obnoxiuos manners.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by texazzpete(m): 11:37am On Oct 10, 2007
@Afam
It's one of your traits to dodge anything remotely approaching logic and fix your attention on un-important and peripheral issues.
Are you so bereft of an answer that you neglect the meat of an argument and focus on a slip of tongue? From the statement 'invading Iran' only an addled ape (or yourself) could fail to spot what i truly meant.

while most people here are attempting to learn something, you remain mired in ignorance. You can't be helped.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Afam(m): 11:45am On Oct 10, 2007
@naijaking1,

Go through all my posts on this forum, no where will you see me abuse or insult anyone for disagreeing with my position.

Every single abuse or insult that is attached to my name was done as a way of response in kind.

I have every right to insult or abuse anyone that insults or abuses me.

Unfortunately, many people cannot stand others having opinions not original to them and rather than use logic, facts, common sense to make their points they resort to all manner of insults.

Personally, I handle insults well and will continue to do so. I never insult people unless when responding in kind, there are a lot of issues that demand attention for one to consider making insults a major project on a public discussion forum.

@texazzpete,

Most people here are attempting to learn something abi while people like you believe you know it all, cannot make a mistake and you are perfect abi? Spare me that nonsense. I have seen people in my lifetime that commit blunders upon blunders without even knowing.

Stick to the topic and you will get responses, try using the insult tactics you will equally get responses in kind.

I really don't care how you come across, I respond to issues accordingly.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 12:20pm On Oct 10, 2007
ocho cinco:

@Kobojunkie

That Jews lived in the region I will concede. But I do know that there were a significant minority if at all they were present

What I think should be at contention here is the opportunism at the centre of the Zionist enterprise to secure a state and escape persecution in Europe.
That opportunism has cost a significant population of non Jews, their lives and fortunes.

Even with those exiled, the jews were never really a minority in the area, why?? cause the palestinians were made up of people of jewish heritage. You need to understand that at no time in history could we claim the jews were really the minority in isreal. Sure many of them were killed and exiled but you need to understand that does not automatically make them the minority but the conquered. Even if you want to make that claim, you can not say that then means that the land is not theres. I don't believe it has ever worked that way when it comes to land acquisiton. You can claim a conqueror took over the land or something but I do not believe that being a minority means you no longer own the land.

Mind you another fact is that the jews have held the majority of the fortune of the land.  Those jews who were in Europe did not migrate there in one century. It is like Nigeria, Nigerians have been moving out of Nigeria for decades now, that does not mean there are no Nigerians in Nigeria or Nigeria has been taken over by foreign groups. There are millions of Nigerians outside Nigeria yet there are still many NIgerians in Nigeria, do you get it??

It's not a zionist thing or what you want to call it, it is recorded history for this people. There is NO OTHER GROUP OF PEOPLE ON THIS PLANET who have more documentation of their history and movement than the JEWS have, so no need to guess, it is all available for all to read.

Another thing you fail to note is this. NOT ALL JEWS subscribe to JUDAISM. Like every other people on the planet, they have over the centuries adopted various beliefs. Yes, there are the judaics to this day but did you know that there are muslim jews?? christian jews?? buddhist jews?? atheistic jews?? Yes,  they all have existed for centuries in the same land. Making this about zionism makes the debate a problem cause it would seem you do not consider the other religions in there who still subscribe to the same hardline as the judaic jews.  That is why I keep saying to stop making it about religion and focus on historical facts more.

WOW,  I have only been in this forum for 3 weeks now and I already have a WAY OF LIFE IN HERE WOW  embarassed cool

Anywho, I actually think it is amazing how this people have been through so much and live to tell about it and I love researching their history and times. Now for the palestinian/Isreali conflict, even you will agree that these people lived together until the fall of the ottoman empire and the capture of the land by britain. Most of this problem started when the arab league refused to accept the decision made by the league of nations. The two people could have taken their piece, left Jerusalem to the UN and continued their lifes. But No, there had to be more to get back land instead of continuing to fight the fight at the UN tables. So here we are today, not cause Isreal CAUSED IT as MANY CLAIM but cause the other side went to war for it and lost.

We have been going back in time here trying to find a way to say this land did not belong to this side or that but the bulk of the matter is that all this did not matter much until britain came in the picture and conquered the land. There is No where in time past that we can claim without a doubt that

1) The jews were not in Isreal
2) The palestinians were the majority in the land
3) the palestinians were in the ruling class since palestine has never really been an independent state since it's birth
4) the land belonged to the palestines

so, if we can now get back to the 1900's on this, we might make it to the 2000's before the end of the week and then actually tackle any more that may remain of the main post for this thread.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by naijaking1: 1:27pm On Oct 10, 2007
@Afam

There is no doubt that past animus plays a significant part on how folks talk to each other, but it doesn't make it right to carry on and continue ad infinitummmmmmmmmm, and for every topic.

We can do better, otherwise newer people would not be attracted to discuss educational, historical, but controversial threads.

@kobojunkie
Did you wake up or you still de nack am for OH? Even after I finished my 24hr call, rushed through NYC traffic, come home, you still dey.
Anyway, I'm looking for Gen. Allenby.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 1:43pm On Oct 10, 2007
I went to bed last night at 12 am and I am at work now ,  I work on computers so I am online majority of the time
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by naijaking1: 1:58pm On Oct 10, 2007
no wonder!
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by naijaking1: 2:23pm On Oct 10, 2007
Just an update of what's on the ground on the Palestinian/Israeli conflict:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071010/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians

enjoy.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Afam(m): 7:23pm On Oct 10, 2007
Thanks naijaking1 for the update.

Asking for Israel's withdrawal to pre 1967 borders by Abbas is a step in the right direction as it will usher in a new era where lasting peace can be built upon.

If Abbas is hinging his call on the UN Resolutions then he should ensure that Palestine keeps its own part of the bargain.

Peace cannot be guaranteed by using force, may be fear but certainly not peace.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abbas wants return to pre-1967 borders

By MOHAMMED DARAGHMEH, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 55 minutes ago

RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Wednesday laid out his most specific demands for the borders of a future independent state, calling for a full Israeli withdrawal from all territories captured in the 1967 Mideast war.
ADVERTISEMENT
click here

Abbas' claim comes as Israeli and Palestinian negotiating teams are trying to hammer out a joint vision for a future peace deal in time for a U.S.-hosted conference next month.

In a a new confidence-building gesture to Abbas, Israel agreed Wednesday to grant residency permits to thousands of Palestinians who have been living illegally in the West Bank on expired visitors' visas.

Abbas' comments appeared to set the stage for tough negotiations, which are expected to include complicated arrangements such as land swaps and shared control over holy sites. Israel is seeking to retain parts of the West Bank and east Jerusalem.

In a television interview, Abbas said the Palestinians want to establish a state on 6,205 square kilometers (2,400 square miles) of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. It was the first time he has given a precise number for the amount of land he is seeking.

"We have 6,205 square kilometers in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip," Abbas told Palestine TV. "We want it as it is."

According to Palestinian negotiating documents obtained by The Associated Press, the Palestinian demands include all of the Gaza Strip, West Bank, east Jerusalem and small areas along the West Bank frontier that were considered no man's land before the 1967 war.

Abbas said his claim is backed by U.N. resolutions. "This is our vision for the Palestinian independent state with full sovereignty on its borders, water and resources."

Israeli government spokeswoman Miri Eisin declined to comment, saying she did not want to prejudice negotiations. But the Palestinian demands appear to exceed anything that Israel would be willing to offer.

Israeli and Palestinian negotiators held their first working meeting this week in advance of next month's conference in Annapolis, Maryland. The U.S. hopes the document will provide a launching ground for full-fledged negotiations on a final peace agreement.

Despite Abbas' tough public stance, aides to Abbas said he has agreed in recent talks with Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to exchange West Bank land Israel wants to keep in a final peace deal with an equal amount of Israeli land. This would allow Israel to annex the West Bank area where the settlement blocs are located.

As part of the proposal, Abbas offered Olmert about 2 percent of the West Bank, the aides said. Olmert is seeking some 6-8 percent of the West Bank, but has said the exact amount of territory should be decided in future negotiations. The aides spoke on condition of anonymity since they were not authorized to discuss sensitive diplomatic matters with the media.

In exchange for the West Bank land, Israel is reportedly considering transferring to the Palestinians a strip of area between the Gaza Strip and West Bank to allow for a connection between them. About 40 kilometers (25 miles) of Israeli territory separates the two Palestinian territories.

Abbas said the joint statement at the conference must deal with the main hurdles preventing a final peace agreement.

"The international conference must include the six major issues that are Jerusalem, refugees, borders, settlements, water and security," Abbas said.

Meanwhile, Israel said it expects to complete a list of 5,000 Palestinians who will receive the residency permits ahead of the Muslim Eid el-Fitr holiday later this week. Shlomo Dror, an Israeli army spokesman, said further lists will be approved in the future

Hussein al-Sheikh, a Palestinian official overseeing the contacts, confirmed Israel had informed him of the decision, but said West Bank Palestinians were only allotted 3,500 permits. Israel rejected Palestinian demands to give permits to 1,500 people in Gaza.

The decision is significant for the Palestinians since more than 20,000 who visited the West Bank on tourist visas in recent years have been living in hiding since their travel permits expired.

The order doesn't apply to an estimated 20,000 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

According to the agreement, Abbas will issue the actual residency permits. Under past peace agreements, the Palestinians could not issue residency permits without Israel's permission. Israel registered the Palestinians in its own records.

Also Wednesday, Israeli troops shot and killed a Palestinian militant in Nablus affiliated with Abbas' Fatah and injured another, members of the armed group said. Witnesses said the Israeli soldiers entered Nablus' Old City, known as a militant stronghold, disguised in Palestinian security forces uniforms and carrying rifles typical of the forces. Israeli military officials said troops fired toward two armed men, killing one and injuring another.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by naijaking1: 11:44pm On Oct 10, 2007
WMR- maybe right.

It's 6:32pm EST here in NYC, I just tuned to NPR and listened to Daniel Schultz describe most of the contents of this WMR. Intereting-- I thought I should share this information with the forum.

You can log on to NPR.org. Commentator, Mr. Shultz also referred to NYT of today on the same topic. I post the link below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/10/washington/10diplo.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I would be glad to know what folks think. I have limited my own personal interpretations.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 12:06am On Oct 11, 2007
If you really want to know what I think of this here it is. If Isreal refuses to give back captured land. I will not fault them cause based on the rules of war, they have an upper hand. I am sorry if this goes with the whole ZIONIST MOVEMENT AND EVERYONE IS AGAINST PALESTINE HOOPLA, but I have to say from what I know of the six day war, they have the upper hand here cause like the guy mentioned it was captured land, but in the end, I do hope this conflict is over soon, if it will happen in my life time so we can see adults act like adults more often than not. Who are my kidding, they will just move to other CONSPIRACY THEORIES , grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy

I know wiki is not always 100% but this comes close to my understanding of what happened during the 1967 war in which Isreal captured the land. It was fair war. I am sorry

[Quote]
Creation of the PLO

February 3, 1964
The Palestine Liberation Organization is founded in Cairo by the Arab League with Ahmad Shuqeiri as its leader. Even though Ahmad Shuqeiri is the official leader, the organization is more or less controlled by the Egyptian government. The PLO states their goal as the destruction of the State of Israel through armed struggle, and replacing it with an "independent Palestinian state" between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea.

Six-Day War

June 1967
The Six-Day War. Israel launches a pre-emptive strike against the Egyptian Air Force on suspicion that Egypt and Syria are planning to invade. There had been an Egyptian naval blockade and military buildup in the Sinai Peninsula as well as Syrian support for Fedayeen incursions into Israel. Israel defeats the combined forces of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, and their supporters and captures the Sinai Peninsula and the Gaza Strip from Egypt, East Jerusalem and the West Bank from Jordan, and the Golan Heights from Syria. Jewish settlements form and re-form in the territories. After the annexation, Jews and Christians were permitted to enter the Old City and its holy sites, which they (except for some Christians under limited conditions) were forbidden from under Jordanian rule.

September 1, 1967
The Khartoum Resolution issued at the Arab Summit with eight Arab countries adopts the "three nos": 1. No peace with Israel, 2. No recognition of Israel, 3. No negotiations with Israel.
[/quote]
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 12:14am On Oct 11, 2007
naijaking1:

WMR- maybe right.

It's 6:32pm EST here in NYC, I just tuned to NPR and listened to Daniel Schultz describe most of the contents of this WMR. Intereting-- I thought I should share this information with the forum.

You can log on to NPR.org. Commentator, Mr. Shultz also referred to NYT of today on the same topic. I post the link below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/10/washington/10diplo.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I would be glad to know what folks think. I have limited my own personal interpretations.

The Link you posted had nothing conclusive in the article. Just basically saying the strike to them did not warrant change of american policy in the region. It does not say much more than that. I mean the strike happened. USA was already thinking of taking peaceful strategy in the area so what exactly is the post meant to show if I may ask?? @Naijaking. I don't get the reason for the post.

Are we shifting to another topic now
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Afam(m): 12:25am On Oct 11, 2007
@naijaking1,

Thanks for the updates.

You see when the tactics of insults and diversion stops working many simply disappear because their positions will be at odds with reality, hence the preference for diversions in the first place.

Ultimately, it does not make sense for people to be hoping for peace in the region while subscribing to "Israel is always right and justified in its actions".

Without justice and fair play you cannot have peace in the region and more importantly all the major players should understand that they lose in the war, not necessarily the people who support them for different reasons from selfish ones to unselfish ones.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An Israeli Strike on Syria Kindles Debate in the U.S.

* Sign In to E-Mail or Save This
* Print
* Reprints
o Del.icio.us
o Digg
o Facebook
o Newsvine
o Permalink

Article Tools Sponsored By
By MARK MAZZETTI and HELENE COOPER
Published: October 10, 2007

WASHINGTON, Oct. 9 — A sharp debate is under way in the Bush administration about the significance of the Israeli intelligence that led to last month’s Israeli strike inside Syria, according to current and former American government officials.
Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image
Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

A familiar administration divide: Vice President Dick Cheney says Israeli intelligence was credible, while Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice questions whether there was a real threat.

At issue is whether intelligence that Israel presented months ago to the White House — to support claims that Syria had begun early work on what could become a nuclear weapons program with help from North Korea — was conclusive enough to justify military action by Israel and a possible rethinking of American policy toward the two nations.

The debate has fractured along now-familiar fault lines, with Vice President Dick Cheney and conservative hawks in the administration portraying the Israeli intelligence as credible and arguing that it should cause the United States to reconsider its diplomatic overtures to Syria and North Korea.

By contrast, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and her allies within the administration have said they do not believe that the intelligence presented so far merits any change in the American diplomatic approach.

“Some people think that it means that the sky is falling,” a senior administration official said. “Others say that they’re not convinced that the real intelligence poses a threat.”

Several current and former officials, as well as outside experts, spoke on the condition of anonymity because the intelligence surrounding the Israeli strike remains highly classified.

Besides Ms. Rice, officials said that Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates was cautious about fully endorsing Israeli warnings that Syria was on a path that could lead to a nuclear weapon. Others in the Bush administration remain unconvinced that a nascent Syrian nuclear program could pose an immediate threat.

It has long been known that North Korean scientists have aided Damascus in developing sophisticated ballistic missile technology, and there appears to be little debate that North Koreans frequently visited a site in the Syrian desert that Israeli jets attacked Sept. 6. Where officials disagree is whether the accumulated evidence points to a Syrian nuclear program that poses a significant threat to the Middle East.

Mr. Cheney and his allies have expressed unease at the decision last week by President Bush and Ms. Rice to proceed with an agreement to supply North Korea with economic aid in return for the North’s disabling its nuclear reactor. Those officials argued that the Israeli intelligence demonstrates that North Korea cannot be trusted. They also argue that the United States should be prepared to scuttle the agreement unless North Korea admits to its dealing with the Syrians.

During a breakfast meeting on Oct. 2 at the White House, Ms. Rice and her chief North Korea negotiator, Christopher R. Hill, made the case to President Bush that the United States faced a choice: to continue with the nuclear pact with North Korea as a way to bring the secretive country back into the diplomatic fold and give it the incentive to stop proliferating nuclear material; or to return to the administration’s previous strategy of isolation, which detractors say left North Korea to its own devices and led it to test a nuclear device last October.

Mr. Cheney and Stephen J. Hadley, the national security adviser, also attended the meeting, administration officials said.

The Israeli strike occurred at a particularly delicate time for American diplomatic efforts. In addition to the North Korean nuclear negotiations, the White House is also trying to engineer a regional Middle East peace conference that would work toward a comprehensive peace accord between Arabs and Israelis.

The current and former American officials said Israel presented the United States with intelligence over the summer about what it described as nuclear activity in Syria. Officials have said Israel told the White House shortly in advance of the September raid that it was prepared to carry it out, but it is not clear whether the White House took a position then about whether the attack was justified.

One former top Bush administration official said Israeli officials were so concerned about the threat posed by a potential Syrian nuclear program that they told the White House they could not wait past the end of the summer to strike the facility.

Last week, Turkish officials traveled to Damascus to present the Syrian government with the Israeli dossier on what was believed to be a Syrian nuclear program, according to a Middle East security analyst in Washington. The analyst said that Syrian officials vigorously denied the intelligence and said that what the Israelis hit was a storage depot for strategic missiles.

That denial followed a similar denial from North Korea. Mr. Hill, the State Department’s assistant secretary for East Asia and Pacific affairs, raised the Syria issue with his North Korean counterparts in talks in Beijing in late September. The North Koreans denied providing any nuclear material to Syria.

Publicly, Syrian officials have said Israeli jets hit an empty warehouse.

Bruce Riedel, a veteran of the C.I.A. and the National Security Council and now a Middle East expert at the Brookings Institution, said that American intelligence agencies remained cautious in drawing hard conclusions about the significance of the suspicious activity at the Syrian site.

Still, Mr. Riedel said Israel would not have launched the strike in Syria if it believed Damascus was merely developing more sophisticated ballistic missiles or chemical weapons.

“Those red lines were crossed 20 years ago,” he said. “You don’t risk general war in the Middle East over an extra 100 kilometers’ range on a missile system.”

Another former intelligence official said Syria was attempting to develop so-called airburst capability for its ballistic missiles. Such technology would allow Syria to detonate warheads in the air to disperse the warhead’s material more widely.

Since North Korea detonated its nuclear device, Ms. Rice has prodded Mr. Bush toward a more diplomatic approach with North Korea, through talks that also include Japan, Russia, South Korea and China. Those talks led to the initial agreement last February for North Korea to shut down its nuclear reactor in exchange for fuel and food aid.

That deal angered conservatives who believed that the Bush administration had made diplomacy toward North Korea too high a priority, at the expense of efforts to combat the spread of illicit weapons in the Middle East.

“Opposing the Israeli strike to protect the six-party talks would be a breathtaking repudiation of the administration’s own national security strategy,” said John R. Bolton, former United States ambassador to the United Nations.

But other current and former officials argue that the diplomatic approach is America’s best option for dealing with the question of North Korean proliferation.

“You can’t just make these decisions using the top of your spinal cord, you have to use the whole brain,” said Philip D. Zelikow, the former counselor at the State Department. “What other policy are we going to pursue that we think would be better?”
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Nobody: 1:08am On Oct 11, 2007
it gets seriously boring when people cannot articulate their own independent positions rather prefering to post long and essential meaningless articles and expecting to push them down our throats.

Isreal launched an airstrike against Syria and so what? Syria has retained an official policy of war with Isreal since 1967, they use Hezbollah to fight their proxy war since they dont have the military might that Isreal has.

What is new in this article? Another "it is al Isreal's fault" diatribe from those sitting comfortably out of reach of suicide bombers, snipers and qassam rockets.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 1:13am On Oct 11, 2007
WHAT?? From what I get from the Article NaijaKing posted. It was not about faulting Isreal or not faulting Isreal. It was Just America trying to determine what road to take after what happened. Isreal bombed, sure but Syria itself only claimed it was an abandoned warehouse but has yet to actually let people in to see. So I do not think it is something one can run off with. I mean sure there are conspiracy theories but I like to remind people that Syria did not allow persons in to the place to check yet, so till then, all we have is rumours to go on.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Afam(m): 1:30am On Oct 11, 2007
davidylan:

it gets seriously boring when people cannot articulate their own independent positions rather prefering to post long and essential meaningless articles and expecting to push them down our throats.

No need making up unnecessary allegations. No one is expecting to push anything down your throat.

I have always maintained that those who easily get hurt on public discussion forums are those that are interested in trying to make everyone agree with them and when this don't happen insults and name callings begin.

All we need is access to information, the people here are capable of reading and understanding and more importantly are able to make up their minds based on what they read, see or hear.

We should stop wanting to think for others and we should understand that everyone cannot agree on one thing. Failure to abide by these simple things will always lead to one thing - anger and frustration in not being able to make people agree with us and what usually follows is abuses and insults.

Agree or disagree with any position without resorting to attacking anyone, it is simple and very effective. We have seen enough diversion on so many topics on this forum.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 1:36am On Oct 11, 2007
grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin
OH LORD HAVE MERCY ON US ALL!!!

I ALMOST CHOKED READING THAT !!!!! OH GOSH!!! OH CRUM!!!!

ROLLING ON THE FLOOR NOW!!!!! grin cheesy cheesy grin grin grin wink grin grin cheesy
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Afam(m): 1:57am On Oct 11, 2007
Kobojunkie:

ROLLING ON THE FLOOR NOW!!!!! grin cheesy cheesy grin grin grin wink grin grin cheesy

Considering the fact that since the diversion tactics stopped working you have been at a loss as to what position to hold on the thread I actually welcome the post in quote.

This is far better than what you have been doing.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Nobody: 2:02am On Oct 11, 2007
One sensible post from Afam in ages! grin Truly there is a God of wonders.

@ Afam, what is your position on this topic you posted? Besides the two articles you have put up, i am yet to see anything resembling an independent oppinion that we can jaw jaw over. I hope i have not missed it but it would be nice to see something besides "insults in kind", long boring articles and long winded advice to no one.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Oct 11, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 2:10am On Oct 11, 2007
I was hoping that by now NaijaKing would explain his reason for posting that article. I guess he may be in bed already, may have to wait till the morrow for the thread to get back momentum. I was so enjoying the debate on who owned the land based on facts. I prefer it when people debate and apply knowledge, not the tantrums and name calling. I was hoping to raise more WOOHAA by stating my honest opinion when it comes to the land issue which the palestinian minister demands Isreal help settle. I am all for FAIR war.

Nice to know that NaijaKing is at least level headed in all this.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by debosky(m): 4:01am On Oct 11, 2007
on the last post by Afam, though we do not know the contents/purposes of the site hit by the Israeli Air strike, I believe it would be unduly optimistic to expect the Syrians or North Koreans to own up that it was a nuclear facility.

NK has a lot to lose if it owns up, especially when it is on the verge of receiving funding and energy supplies from the US and SK

Syria on the other hand is not even a reliable country, they lie, interfere and kill politicians who don't support them in neighbouring Lebanon, amongst others. Israel has no real reason to raise tensions in the region at this point, so I do not believe they would engage in this bombing for frivolous reasons. If they don't bomb the Syrian backed terrorists in Lebanon on a whim, there must be some truth to the nuclear or weapons advancing claims.

Bottom line - with a clearly aggressive neighbor like Syria, it would be suicide for Israel to allow such developments to occur close to its borders without doing anything about it. It happened in the 80's when they took out Saddam's budding nuclear program, so I am hardly surprised they are doing it when it is so close to their territory. Syria's meddling in Lebanon has gone on unabated for decades, waiting for some UN or other backed decision before acting would have been too late. Covert strikes to defend your territory and people is the sovereign right of any nation.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Nobody: 4:07am On Oct 11, 2007
@ debosky
Syria is not merely an aggressive neighbour, she is officially at war with Isreal.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by debosky(m): 4:39am On Oct 11, 2007
Thanks for reminding me of that david, it makes the action even more justified.

If Syria was so confident that its integrity was violated, why didn't they retaliate? Instead they're peddling a story that it was an old warehouse.

they obviously have something to hide, thats why they are simply grandstanding. when its guerrilla warfare using human shields as Hezbollah, they'll be noisy, but fight army to army and they shy back.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by ochocinco1(m): 4:57am On Oct 11, 2007
debosky:

If Syria was so confident that its integrity was violated, why didn't they retaliate? Instead they're peddling a story that it was an old warehouse.

they obviously have something to hide, thats why they are simply grandstanding. when its guerrilla warfare using human shields as Hezbollah, they'll be noisy, but fight army to army and they shy back.

Well if only Syria wasn't fighting the US armed forces as well, it might have been a fair fight. undecided
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Nobody: 5:20am On Oct 11, 2007
ocho cinco:

Well if only Syria wasn't fighting the US armed forces as well, it might have been a fair fight. undecided

If only Isreal wasnt fighting the armies of Syria, Egypt, Iran, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Iraq e.t.c. in 1948, 1967, 1953 and now , it might have been a fair fight too.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 12:10pm On Oct 11, 2007
ocho cinco:

Do you live on the same planet that we do?? What in the world tells you that was syria's reason or even the case??
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by Kobojunkie: 12:12pm On Oct 11, 2007
debosky:

Exactly. No one is yet to actually see the site that was targetted by Isreal let alone go in to check out for themselves.
Re: Air Force Refused To Fly Weapons To Middle East Theater – By Wayne Madsen by ochocinco1(m): 12:38pm On Oct 11, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Do you live on the same planet that we do?? What in the world tells you that was syria's reason or even the case??

LOL.

Due to your reaction, I have undergone a Damascene conversion cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Breaking News: Jega Sacks 11 Resident Commisioners / If This Is Jonathan’s Helipad Then Buhari’s Own Is Extremely Expensive (PHOTOS) / INEC Recruits Over 25,000 Officials For Electoral Re-run In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.