Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,821 members, 7,824,412 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? (6910 Views)

Top 10 Countries In The World To Migrate To / Which Country Should I Relocate To Outside America, UK & Canada / Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 1:08pm On Jan 10, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by badesco(m): 1:22pm On Jan 10, 2012
Must you migrate? then if so, go to cotonou.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by jaybee3(m): 1:23pm On Jan 10, 2012
How about your village so as to gain valuable experience.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 2:19pm On Jan 10, 2012
anybody can talk but not like dogs!!!
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by snowdrops(m): 5:09pm On Jan 10, 2012
It would be pertinent if you provide answers to these questions;

1. Why do you want to travel?
2. Which specialty would you want to practice should you go overseas?
3. How long would you want to live abroad?
4. your age, marital status.

Going overseas as a newbie could be quite challenging. Could take a while to settle into the system. You may have to write several exams, and get onto the right immigration status. You may not get the specialty you always wanted.

Not to drag the issue, popular travel destination for naija doctors include usa, uk, ireland, south africa and the carribeans. Goodluck
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 11:09am On Jan 11, 2012
Thank you very much Mr snowdrops,i really appreciate,the msg is encouraging,i will answer the questions ASAP.thank you once again!
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by 27naira(m): 9:49pm On Jan 11, 2012
^^^ ASAP indeed. grin grin grin
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by chika98: 12:22am On Jan 12, 2012
27naira:

^^^ ASAP indeed. grin grin grin

Perhaps his credit don finish for cyber cafe? ASAP na long thing grin grin cheesy
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by llbhuds: 6:35pm On Jan 12, 2012
another brain drain.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by reindeer: 8:02pm On Jan 12, 2012
llbhuds:

another brain drain.
More like brain flight. . . .brains running from hot to cool grin grin
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by tpia5: 8:07pm On Jan 12, 2012
which school did you graduate from, and are you not supposed to do your internship at least [housejob] before jetting out.

gaining work experience in nigeria is also invaluable regardless how much negativity people attach to that.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by tpia5: 8:08pm On Jan 12, 2012
if indeed you graduated from medical school that is.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by immigirl: 4:13am On Jan 13, 2012
The only place I would advice you to immigrate to is Canada because it allows for smooth integration unlike U.K . Canada always encourages immigrants to stay back and become permanent resident although since you said you just finished, you might want to look at the option of working for at least a year in Nigeria or getting an admission into medical school in Canada after which you will be able to have the opportunity of becoming a qualified doctor in Canada
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 3:01pm On Jan 13, 2012
thanks Mr snow drops,i wanna travel cos i wish to gain more experience,specialty that i like are general practice/Radiology,
marital status is single,age is undisclosed,how long to stay abroad,varies.
Thanks once again,hope to read from u soonest!.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 3:18pm On Jan 13, 2012
@tpia,anyway,my school my not necessarily mean anyfin,anyway Ib.and i am on internship,any info from you could help further.fanks
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 3:25pm On Jan 13, 2012
Thank you immigirl.i can neva start med schl all over again in canada.however i have one year housejob to do in Nigeria.So can you tell me more about immigration of foreign junior doctors to canada?do you have anyfin to say about australia?
Thank you very much.Hope to read from you soonest.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by usezer: 6:27pm On Jan 13, 2012
For doctors wanting to immigrate to Canada, if you have at least one or two years of experience as a doctor in Nigeria, all you need to do is to apply for permanent residency straight although processing takes an average of 12months but either way you will still get it. On another note, you will still have to do the conversion exam in order to be able to practice as a medical doctor when you get to canada.

Regarding Australia Immigration, I don't really know much about that, but I am aware that they are looking for doctors as well.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by snowdrops(m): 9:05pm On Jan 13, 2012
Canada is potentially an egg shell. Even after the conversion exams you would need to compete with thousands of other foreign doctors for limited residency slots. That has left soooooo many docs frustrated.
If you need to go to the americas, best place is the US. And should it be Europe, UK a better option. However with recent immigration changes, it is almost impossible to get a residency slot on a work permit in the UK, unless you have British citizenship/Permanent residency.
I know little of Australia/New Zealand. For a newbie, expect to be posted to the deserts/economically deprived areas should you be accepted into the system.
Therefore, i believe USA remains a juicy option for a new grad from naija.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 1:34am On Jan 14, 2012
Thank you Mr Usezer,you are highly appreciated.the info is helpful.thanks.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 1:41am On Jan 14, 2012
Thank you Mr snowdrops,i am grateful,your comments are eye opener.i am appreciative.i heard such about canada and australia sometimes ago,but your info is just confirmatory!Maybe i should work towards USA!,but i still look for easiest way for doctors to get into USA rather than the common masters degree route which saps money!
once again,thank you.Any further info will be well cherished.May God bless.
Hope to hear from you soon!!!!!! cool
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by snowdrops(m): 5:12am On Jan 14, 2012
Apply for a visit visa. While there get a good immigration solicitor with a view to getting into the right category, that way you can prolong your stay. Meanwhile as soon as you arrive the country start gathering materials for USMLE as start reading well well. cheesy
You would need to score high in order to stand a reasonable chance of being selected.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by jaybee3(m): 5:25am On Jan 14, 2012
snowdrops:

Apply for a visit visa. While there get a good immigration solicitor with a view to getting into the right category, that way you can prolong your stay. Meanwhile as soon as you arrive the country start gathering materials for USMLE as start reading well well. cheesy
You would need to score high in order to stand a reasonable chance of being selected.

I don't think you are advising him very well Sir. How is he going to survive in the US if they supposedly give him the Visitation Visa without having the right papers?
How easy is it for a recent graduate without employment to get a visitation Visa ?

1 Like

Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by snowdrops(m): 12:19pm On Jan 14, 2012
Post graduate medical education is somewhat different from the mainstream sector. A good number of doctors want to commence their residency training in their chosen specialties after graduation and internship. Very few would opt for an acedemic masters as an only option. This happens whether in naija or overseas.

A good number of doctors are yearning to leave the country for various reasons. It is not only economics. It is sad, a brain drain, but it is the fact on ground. OP is not exempted from this trend.

I am not too conversant with US immigration. However given OPs circumstances, the easiest way to immigrate to yankee is as a visitor. Remember he is a highly skilled migrant and chances are with good immigration advice in the country he would remain there.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 12:30pm On Jan 14, 2012
Thank you Mr snowdrops and Mr jaybee.the infos are helpful.how about entering through colleges or cooking schools because these might be cheaper compared to the cost of masters and will give me more time to prepare for USMLE??i'm kind undecided about this!.OR should i go through TRAVELING (SURE) agent?
pls more advice is needed More opinions will be welcomed.

Thank you all and may God Bless!!
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by tpia5: 7:39pm On Jan 14, 2012
is "cooking schools" a typo?

imo, you're channeling too much energy into travelling abroad and at this rate you might sidestep your medical training in your desperation.

nothing wrong with working in nigeria for a while in order to build your medical skills before going overseas.

entering the US on a visitor's visa will mean you'll likely start using shady means to try to legalize your stay- sham marriage, etc.

though some women wont mind entering such sha. At least that's child support for the future.

nigerian men are sure bankers when it comes to those kinds of matters. ie compared to other ethnicities and nationalities who are less likely to part with their money.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by olubayo2: 9:28pm On Jan 14, 2012
@tpia,fanks but cooking or language schl might be a joke,anywy,may be i will finally resolve to going thru masters,but this sucks money and i will be busy in such a way that i will not be able to prepare for USMLE!!!!,this is why i am discouraged by going through masters!
ANY other info will definitely be duly appreciated!!!!

THANKS TO ALL!
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by DrOBD(m): 10:15am On Dec 29, 2013
So how did it end with you @OP
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by needful: 12:20pm On Dec 29, 2013
My dear, doctors are in a higher demand in Canada. Who so ever that advised u not to go to canada, does not know anything about the country. A brother of my who is a medical doctor migrated to canada through federal skill worker program last two yrs and he got job within one month of arrival. Pls open ur eyes and do not be deceived. Canada rules, pls go straight to federal skill worker program and apply because as I write this to u now, ur occupation is listed among the needed profession in canada.
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by desy24444(m): 5:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
snowdrops: It would be pertinent if you provide answers to these questions;

1. Why do you want to travel?
2. Which specialty would you want to practice should you go overseas?
3. How long would you want to live abroad?
4. your age, marital status.

Going overseas as a newbie could be quite challenging. Could take a while to settle into the system. You may have to write several exams, and get onto the right immigration status. You may not get the specialty you always wanted.

Not to drag the issue, popular travel destination for naija doctors include usa, uk, ireland, south africa and the carribeans. Goodluck
pls wat of graduate nurse
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by blinzho69(m): 2:42pm On Jan 01, 2014
needful: My dear, doctors are in a higher demand in Canada. Who so ever that advised u not to go to canada, does not know anything about the country. A brother of my who is a medical doctor migrated to canada through federal skill worker program last two yrs and he got job within one month of arrival. Pls open ur eyes and do not be deceived. Canada rules, pls go straight to federal skill worker program and apply because as I write this to u now, ur occupation is listed among the needed profession in canada.

my guy ur info is incorrect. it is difficult to get a residency slot in Canada. america slighty easier than Canada. however a foreign degree is easily recognized in Canada and america than nigerian degree. ur bro might. have been lucky or he has a degree that was in need then. as for federal skilled worker program in canada doc re not in the required jobs for now. check cic.gc.ca. for more info.

1 Like

Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by platypelloid: 1:42am On May 02, 2015
any more insightful info/counsel??
Re: I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? by claremont(m): 9:53am On May 02, 2015
I bumped into a former classmate of mine who emigrated to the UK, he is earning £600/day working as a locum doctor in the NHS. That's £12,000/month working a 5-day working week. It made me feel tempted to go back to school and start all over again to be a Doctor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Hundreds Of Nigerians Are Relocating To Ghana / Im Headed To Okota From Ojodu Berger Please Help / Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.