Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,435 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

British Gas Cuts Uk Power Bills As Fuel Prises Rocket In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Gas Cuts Uk Power Bills As Fuel Prises Rocket In Nigeria (904 Views)

Nigerian Young Engineer Launches Home Made Rocket In Kaduna / Adamawa Governor, Bindow, Picks Suntai's Bills As Taraba Abandons Ailing Ex Gov. / Fear As Teenagers Launch Rocket In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Gas Cuts Uk Power Bills As Fuel Prises Rocket In Nigeria by eledalo: 11:29am On Jan 12, 2012
Zombie oh zombie!  wink

LONDON Jan 12 (Reuters) - British utility Centrica said on Thursday it will cut household electricity prices by 5 percent with immediate effect, one day after rival EDF Energy announced plans to slash gas bills, also by 5 percent.

The utility, which owns Britain's largest gas supplier British Gas, said it was unable to cut gas bills as long-term costs for the fuel remained high despite some short-term wholesale price falls.

"We want to keep prices as low as possible for our customers. Household budgets are stretched, and we are doing everything we can to help our customers keep their bills down," said Ian Peters, managing director of energy at British Gas.

Britain's largest six energy suppliers, which control 99 percent of the retail energy market, have come under growing pressure to cut domestic energy bills as wholesale energy prices, which make up half of the costs of energy bills, have fallen due to the mild winter weather and the weakening economy.

Energy suppliers angered already cash-strapped Britons in autumn last year, when they raised average energy bills by double digits.

On Wednesday, EDF Energy announced a cut in its gas rates, but kept electricity prices unchanged, saying its increases in November were inflation based.

Analysts also expect the remaining major suppliers, RWE npower, SSE, Scottish Power and E.ON , to make retail price cuts.

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/330716_Ngozi_Okonjo-Iweala_3_jpg5b9c89264616f15ad9615153c3775f4f[/img]

[img]http://www./storage/Goodluck-Jonathan.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1315911493692[/img]
Re: British Gas Cuts Uk Power Bills As Fuel Prises Rocket In Nigeria by johnie: 11:34am On Jan 12, 2012
Two nigerian Internet Service Providers are offering 24 hour service to their customers who are on non-24 hour plans, in view of the ongoing strike.

Commendable!
Re: British Gas Cuts Uk Power Bills As Fuel Prises Rocket In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:42am On Jan 12, 2012
when you think about it - the former imf chef was an old powerful white man accused of sexually assaulting a poor struggling black woman

very good metaphor if you ask me

rich westerners violating poor struggling blacks lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: British Gas Cuts Uk Power Bills As Fuel Prises Rocket In Nigeria by ektbear: 11:49am On Jan 12, 2012
I am not sure of the relevance of this. The market for gas in the UK is deregulated, right?

Of course prices will fluctuate, sometimes go up and down.

But how does this relate to Nigeria, were the price of petrol is regulated?
Re: British Gas Cuts Uk Power Bills As Fuel Prises Rocket In Nigeria by hercules07: 12:51pm On Jan 12, 2012
@ekt

The price at this time is not fluctuating due to demand and supply but because the Gas companies are taking into consideration the economic situation of their people, Nigeria wants to leave us to the mercies of capitalist, haba, in a country where any set of people can form association and start charging whatever they like with little or no oversight.
Re: British Gas Cuts Uk Power Bills As Fuel Prises Rocket In Nigeria by ektbear: 2:00pm On Jan 12, 2012
hercules07:

@ekt

The price at this time is not fluctuating due to demand and supply but because the Gas companies are taking into consideration the economic situation of their people

Err:
eledalo:

Britain's largest six energy suppliers, which control 99 percent of the retail energy market, have come under growing pressure to cut domestic energy bills as wholesale energy prices, which make up half of the costs of energy bills, have fallen due to the mild winter weather and the weakening economy.

So the price of their input went down on the retail market, thus giving them some room to cut prices. Again, I don't see the relevance of this to the Nigerian setting, where energy prices were fixed independently of the market price.

If I make peanut butter and the price of groundnut decreases, of course there is room for me to reduce my prices.

However, if in the neighboring country peanut butter is subsidized by the government and sold at a price below cost, then what is the connect between me cutting my price and the situation in the other country?

They don't relate.
Re: British Gas Cuts Uk Power Bills As Fuel Prises Rocket In Nigeria by aletheia(m): 2:11pm On Jan 12, 2012
Another one of those posts. I guess comprehension must be difficult.
hercules07:

The price at this time is not fluctuating due to demand and supply but because the Gas companies are taking into consideration the economic situation of their people, Nigeria wants to leave us to the mercies of capitalist, haba, in a country where any set of people can form association and start charging whatever they like with little or no oversight.
^
Really? So what do you understand by this:
eledalo:

The utility, which owns Britain's largest gas supplier British Gas, said it was unable to cut gas bills as long-term costs for the fuel remained high despite some short-term wholesale price falls.

On Wednesday, EDF Energy announced a cut in its gas rates, but kept electricity prices unchanged, saying its increases in November were inflation based.

The picture is actually more nuanced than you would have us believe. Please you guys should read and thoroughly digest these articles before posting them. Too many half-truths and lies being peddled these days. angry

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram @ It Again This Time In Jos / Northern Nigeria Gold Rush Exposes Children To Lead Poisoning / Farouk Lawan Dares Police To Release Video/call Logs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.