Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,923 members, 7,952,718 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:15 PM

1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story (12678 Views)

Saraki May Be Going Through Corruption Trial, But We Stand By Him - Abdullahi / Muhammadu Buhari’s United States Visit Will Cost Nigeria, N2.2billion. / We Stand By Our Story On El-Rufai’s N90 Billion Worth - The Union Editor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 12, 2012
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by bloodless: 6:21pm On Jan 12, 2012
I don't understand nigeria sometimes! Why won't journalist go and do their job well? If this lady bought this house it will be in the public records i'm i not right? what is the speculation about?

If she really did then shame on her
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by AfroBlue(m): 7:26pm On Jan 12, 2012
The looter class have learned the art of the paper chase and hiding ownership of properties and ill gotten gains of assets. That is why they are always challenging those with limited resources to try and uncloak their artful shenanigans.

bloodless:

I don't understand nigeria sometimes! Why won't journalist go and do their job well? If this lady bought this house it will be in the public records i'm i not right? what is the speculation about?

If she really did then shame on her

1 Like

Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by efisher(m): 7:43pm On Jan 12, 2012
Can someone explain something to me?

If she actually bought this property with her own legit money, will it be a crime? Or are we saying she cannot possibly have access to such amount of money legitimately?
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by manny4life(m): 7:57pm On Jan 12, 2012
efisher:

If she actually bought this property with her own legit money, will it be a crime? Or are we saying she cannot possibly have access to such amount of money legitimately?

Please tell me o, this woman is not in the same rank and file as many of those politicians who come from grassroots to senator. Like I explained  in a previous post, this woman held a top executive position @ WBG, when she obviously worked there, ain't no telling how much executives earn along with golden benefits, commission, partnerships, etc. She was an active consultant to Africa, Europe and Mid-East Markets, she was engaged in profit and non profit transactions as well as organizations, she's well versed that she had written several memos, articles, books that had earned her money and recognition, the list of her activities is countless. In fact, as of 2011, Forbes ranked her 87 out of Top 100 Most Powerful Women in the World. I don't know why people just decide to ignore simple fact that this woman had LEGIT money before coming into government.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Nchara: 7:58pm On Jan 12, 2012
Speculations, true and true. She has denied it. Is this fake journalism or wicked journalism or both?

Where is the photo of the house?
Where is the receipt of purchase?
Assuming it is true (I do not believe it is), can the journalist say the source of the money?
When did she begin working for Nigeria in the current dispensation that she would have stolen billions
She worked for Nigeria several years ago, why was the fraud (if any) not discovered since she left?
This women worked in the WB for many years, where she earned above 300K USD pa
Her husband is a surgeon in the USA (not in Nigeria ohhh!!).

Her kids are working, writing books and earning dollars.

Why is it hard to get the whole facts out?
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Nchara: 7:59pm On Jan 12, 2012
http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152131:ngozi-denies-buying-n12bn-abuja-mansion&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

Ngozi denies buying N1.2bn Abuja mansion

PDFPrintE-mail

Written by Nuruddeen M. Abdallah Wednesday, 11 January 2012 05:02
inShare2
SocButtons plugin
[Minister of Finance Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala]

Minister of Finance Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala yesterday denied reports by an online medium saying that she bought a N1.2 billion mansion in Maitama, Abuja.
In a statement signed by her Senior Special Assistant, Paul C. Nwabuikwu, the minister said that the news was simply the latest in a well financed smear campaign against her “by persons and groups whose interests are profoundly selfish and anti-Nigeria.”

The statement reads thus: “It has been brought to our attention that an online news website, Pointblanknews.com has just published a story alleging that Ngozi, who is also the Coordinating Minister for the Economy, has purchased a property worth N1.2billion in Maitama, Abuja.”

According to the website, the minister paid for the property in November 2011, she said. Iweala said that “the story is totally false and without foundation. The minister has no interest of any sort in the property in question.”
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by efisher(m): 8:00pm On Jan 12, 2012
I believe pple are just out to pull her down because she is pulling at the strings that keeps their income flowing. Let the facts be presented.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by OneNaira6: 8:02pm On Jan 12, 2012
The woman in question has alot of money with or without her job. For those that unaware Okonjo Iweala comes from a Royal family.  Her father is the Obi of Umu Obi Obahai Royal Family of Ogwashi-Ukwu. She might have paid the house with her legit money or not. This is poor journalism, they should have gone farther rather than speculate.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by OneNaira6: 8:04pm On Jan 12, 2012
Nchara:

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152131:ngozi-denies-buying-n12bn-abuja-mansion&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

Ngozi denies buying N1.2bn Abuja mansion

PDFPrintE-mail

Written by Nuruddeen M. Abdallah Wednesday, 11 January 2012 05:02
inShare2
SocButtons plugin
[Minister of Finance Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala]

Minister of Finance Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala yesterday denied reports by an online medium saying that she bought a N1.2 billion mansion in Maitama, Abuja.
In a statement signed by her Senior Special Assistant, Paul C. Nwabuikwu, the minister said that the news was simply the latest in a well financed smear campaign against her “by persons and groups whose interests are profoundly selfish and anti-Nigeria.”

The statement reads thus: “It has been brought to our attention that an online news website, Pointblanknews.com has just published a story alleging that Ngozi, who is also the Coordinating Minister for the Economy, has purchased a property worth N1.2billion in Maitama, Abuja.”

According to the website, the minister paid for the property in November 2011, she said. Iweala said that “the story is totally false and without foundation. The minister has no interest of any sort in the property in question.”

She did not even buy a house. undecided
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by aljharem(m): 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2012
efisher:

manny4life:

Please tell me o, this woman is not in the same rank and file as many of those politicians who come from grassroots to senator. Like I explained  in a previous post, this woman held a top executive position @ WBG, when she obviously worked there, ain't no telling how much executives earn along with golden benefits, commission, partnerships, etc. She was an active consultant to Africa, Europe and Mid-East Markets, she was engaged in profit and non profit transactions as well as organizations, she's well versed that she had written several memos, articles, books that had earned her money and recognition, the list of her activities is countless. In fact, as of 2011, Forbes ranked her 87 out of Top 100 Most Powerful Women in the World. I don't know why people just decide to ignore simple fact that this woman had LEGIT money before coming into government.

So she has so much money to buy 1.2 billion naira house ?

pleaseeeee you people are so annoying angry

How much is her salary and how much did she save during her job in world bank ?

Abegi angry
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by jumobi1(m): 8:12pm On Jan 12, 2012
One_Naira:

The woman in question has alot of money with or without her job. For those that unaware Okonjo Iweala comes from a Royal family.  Her father is the Obi of Umu Obi Obahai Royal Family of Ogwashi-Ukwu. She might have paid the house with her legit money or not. This is poor journalism, they should have gone farther rather than speculate.

I don't believe the story but Dr. Okonjo-Iweala shouldn't be able to afford a N1.2billion house. World Bank and being the daughter of an Obi isn't enough.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by aljharem(m): 8:16pm On Jan 12, 2012
jumobi1:

I don't believe the story but Dr. Okonjo-Iweala shouldn't be able to afford a N1.2billion house. World Bank and being the daughter of an Obi isn't enough.

are you minding this funny people

Dangote has no 500 million house yet

1 billion = 1000 millions haba
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by efisher(m): 8:25pm On Jan 12, 2012
If you think 1.2 billion naira is unattainable, then you have not discovered the value of education. For someone of her status, she will not depend on salary alone except she is dumb. I as a salary earner have several investments that fetch me over 2 times my annual salary yearly. If you have access to the kind of info she has, you will be able to make that amount of money without much too much sweat.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by efisher(m): 8:34pm On Jan 12, 2012
Hope you know that N1.2 billion naira is equal to 120 plots of land in lekki @10 million naira each?

Land in lekki as at a few decades back was worth only a few tens of thousands of naira. Someone who bought 120 plots of land at say N100,000 per plot would have invested only N12 million naira to buy then. It's all about information.

Do you know you can make up to 200% profit on an investment in the stock market in a few days? Same with forex, etc. Knowledge is power!
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by OneNaira6: 8:41pm On Jan 12, 2012
jumobi1:

Really? An Obi has tons of money, add in her husband own money, followed by her salary at world which ranges in thousands when converted to naira, millions, followed by her salary in Nigeria and most likely she has investment. you think 1.2 billion naira is unattainable after all that undecided

It is a fake story anyway so it does not matter.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by manny4life(m): 8:45pm On Jan 12, 2012
alj harem:

So she has so much money to buy 1.2 billion naira house ?

pleaseeeee you people are so annoying angry

How much is her salary and how much did she save during her job in world bank ?

Abegi angry

You're asking me how much is her salary, well, looking on comparison to organizations like hers JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs etc, top executive pay ranges from about $400,000 to $1.5million, then also, you have commission pay, profit sharing based upon performance of the company (this is usually the largest, often bigger than their base pay), and the list continues. I am not asking you to believe but an average pay for a top executive in her position earns almost $2million to $5million annually.

What do you think was one of the reasons for "Occupy Wall Street"? LARGE Executive PAY from Wall Street Banks. Take into account her Equity investment, 401(k) retirement, royalties etc and then tell me. Just like someone asked a question yesterday, do U.S. politicians do same thing? I replied, well, go and tell Obama who made $6million in 2010 from the sale of his books as well as royalties, go and tell Condi Rice, that signed million $$$ endorsement deals. Go and tell Clinton, both man and wife that have book and TV deals, even republican senators and governors, better yet, go tell Tim Geithener who lives in almost a $2million home, yet defaulted on his taxes and their list GOES ON,

You Mr. I guess you're the one who's just paranoid, like seriously, you just need to STOP man. This is getting out of hand and I mean your hatred towards her.

BTW, Dangote has assets (REAL ESTATE) worth more than $500million not even in NAIRA, so please before you start saying what you don't know, ASK. Just like Dr. NOI, Dangote does not need to live inside the house, that's why they are called fixed assets. You purchase a home, you have equity in the home, whether you use it personal, business, or rental or whatever suits you, it's up to you.

The question shouldn't be "how much did she save"? The question should be, how much is she worth? Many people don't have their assets tied up in savings accounts, many have their in form of current, liquid-able assets, while some are FIXED like home. Thank God for the system of current assets including securities, it's really easy to flip it and get your money and invest into other assets.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by manny4life(m): 8:53pm On Jan 12, 2012
efisher:

If you think 1.2 billion naira is unattainable, then you have not discovered the value of education. For someone of her status, she will not depend on salary alone except she is dumb. I as a salary earner have several investments that fetch me over 2 times my annual salary yearly. If you have access to the kind of info she has, you will be able to make that amount of money without much too much sweat.

Thank you sir, tell them suckers, they don't know that people have various forms of investment, investment comes in different forms and fashion and can be tailored to suit your need , MILD or aggressive approach. They should come let me teach them Finance and Investment 101, KWASIA . The like of Alj_harem thinks that you need savings to purchase an asset, little does he know that assets can be purchased with underlying assets,  welcome to the world of finance and money. For someone like her, if she decided to go via the aggressive approach, with someone as influential and powerful as she is and as an expert in the Money and Financial Markets and Transactions, $7.5million is absolutely NOTHING.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by 4Play(m): 8:56pm On Jan 12, 2012
She says she did not buy the house and I would be very surprised if she made enough money from the World Bank to afford such a house.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Yeske2(m): 9:26pm On Jan 12, 2012
If indeed she bought the house, she is certainly a rougue. How much is her salary at the WB and as fin. minister?
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Mogidi: 9:36pm On Jan 12, 2012
How authentic is this story?
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Nchara: 9:36pm On Jan 12, 2012
Yeske!:

If indeed she bought the house, she  is certainly a rougue. How much is her salary at the WB and as fin. minister?

She earned more than 250 to 300 K pa in the WB
Her husband is a well known med doctor here
Her children are doing great
She did not buy the house; there is no evidence she did and she has denied it
And, how much is 1.2 billion in USD?
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Nchara: 9:37pm On Jan 12, 2012
The link is not even working. Why am I responding to a suspect thread?
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by hercules07: 9:39pm On Jan 12, 2012
Abeg do not insult our intelligence, people should tell us how much she earns for her to have 1.2billion naira to spend on a house, that is $8 million, are you guys for real, only hollywood stars and the ilk own such things, if she indeed owns an $8m house, then she has been dipping her hand into the bloody jar.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Nchara: 9:43pm On Jan 12, 2012
hercules07:

Abeg do not insult our intelligence, people should tell us how much she earns for her to have 1.2billion naira to spend on a house, that is $8 million, are you guys for real, only hollywood stars and the ilk own such things, if she indeed owns an $8m house, then she has been dipping her hand into the bloody jar.

Does she really own the house? Which house are we talking about? Address, photo, evidence, etc. Do you blame her for the news or do you blame the journalist for a shoddy job?
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by hercules07: 9:46pm On Jan 12, 2012
I am not even accusing her of owning the house, the authenticity of the article or story has not been confirmed yet, in saner climes, an investigation will be done to ascertain the genuineness of the story, what I am pissed at is people saying she can afford it.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by manny4life(m): 9:47pm On Jan 12, 2012
Everyone keeps asking "how much is her salary @ the WBG yet no one has asked, how much is she worth? I gave a prime example of Obama that made $6millon from sale of books, meanwhile this is a man that earns $400,000 annually, tomorrow if he purchases a $5million home, you'll criticize him, meanwhile he has money EVEN WHILE IN GOVERNMENT. I can begin to list tons of U.S. politicians that make six figures YET their net worth is staggering. Nigerian mentality, it always has to be, what are you earning to make such a purchase.

Hollywood stars? Tell that to the dogs, everyone is definitely not the same, and it's not Hollywood stars, as a matter of fact, look at the trend, if you're into Tech, Finance and Money and Entertainment, you're more likely to live lavishly.

[size=16pt]@Hercules07, what makes you think she cannot afford it?[/size]
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Nchara: 9:49pm On Jan 12, 2012
BTW, if a world bank MD does not have 8 million USD, or cannot get a loan to that effect (in part or whole), then what is the worth of working with the WB at that level?

Plus:
Her husband who is a well known med doctor in the USA
Her children who are doing great

Anyways, this one na ogbonge rumor until proven otherwise
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by hercules07: 9:52pm On Jan 12, 2012
@Nchara

I know many well known surgeons in the US who can not afford this, heck, I know one of only a few brain surgeons who is a Nigerian and he is definitely not living in an $8m dollar house.

@Manny

How much does she earn? I know she does not earn enough to buy an $8 million house and has not written a book that sold as much as Obama's books.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Nchara: 9:52pm On Jan 12, 2012
She has been in the WB for 21 years and counting and most of those years have been at the management cadre.
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by Nchara: 9:54pm On Jan 12, 2012
hercules07:

@Nchara

I know many well known surgeons in the US who can not afford this, heck, I know one of only a few brain surgeons who is a Nigerian and he is definitely not living in an $8m dollar house.

@Manny

How much does she earn? I know she does not earn enough to buy an $8 million house and has not written a book that sold as much as Obama's books.

You can find her salary at the world bank. It is public knowledge. Do some googling. You already believe the story, right?
Re: 1.2billion Okonjo Iweala Mansion, We Stand By Our Story by efisher(m): 9:55pm On Jan 12, 2012
Poverty truly is a stumbling block in the way of possibilities. That there are people who still think a human cannot own N1.2 billion legitimately gives me cause for concern.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

First Lady Takes Off To Europe / CP Orders Arrest Of Rivers’ Speaker. / Saraki Commiserates With Melaye Over Mother’s Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.