Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,062 members, 7,953,227 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:41 PM

El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff (9895 Views)

See Wat Fashola Told GEJ When There Was Oil Slump+Hike In Fuel Price In 2014(Pic / Could These Be Why Electricty Is Stable In Nigeria Now??? Photos / Knocks For Jonathan Over 50% Electricty Tariff Reduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by muami(m): 1:14pm On Jan 13, 2012
"NERC should insist on eye-catching tariff that would attract direct foreign investment. I believe electricity tariffs need to go up by between 300 and 400 per cent to attract investors into the power sector and provide adequate electricity to Nigerian populace. NERC should therefore do that which is needful by having the courage to increase the tariff irrespective of how politically incorrect it might be." [MALLAM NASIR EL-RUFAI, SEPTEMBER 2011]

http://www.champion.com.ng/displaycontent.asp?pid=13395

Yet people say the protests have not been hijacked by FAILED politicians.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by jmaine: 1:19pm On Jan 13, 2012
What do we expect from this deceiful junk . .El rufai should go to hell . . .
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 1:23pm On Jan 13, 2012
Jesus Christ angry angry angry

If electricity tarriff does NOT increase to the point so that people can make profit, then there will be no electricity in Nigeria!

Some of these dumb posts you guys write make me want to reach through the internet and slap you.

He is 100% correct in what he said regarding electricity tarriff.

Anyway, at a minimum, let each state regulate the price of electricity itself, so that those of us who want to have it can get it.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by norrisman: 1:28pm On Jan 13, 2012
@EKT

Please do not reply these guys. Let this thread die a natural death. They are baiting you.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 1:30pm On Jan 13, 2012
As much as people blame politicians for the reason why Nigeria has failed, the wrong-headed, foolish and senseless thinking of Nigerians is equally if not more to blame.

How can a man say what is obvious to anyone who has thought about it for more than 5 minutes and be condemned?

And you try to spin it as some anti-people thing?

Is it better to have 4k MW of electricity at subsidized prices or 40k MW at market rates? angry angry angry

Use your brain! There are no jobs in this God-forsaken country primarily because the country doesn't make anything. And you cannot make sh1t without electricity.

I don't believe in democracy any more. 99% of human beings in Nigeria are fvcking morons.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by jmaine: 1:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
Wonder who is this dumb guy, worth smashing his feeble skull via the internet, . . . for being dumb and ignorant to the fact, that the thread seeks to define the  El rufai hypocritical stance on his fuel subsidy removal protests . . .

So much for being dumb and at the same time claim intelligence
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by edoyad(m): 1:35pm On Jan 13, 2012
@ekt bear you're missing the point. The OP is trying to highlight the hypocrisy of Nigerian politicians as exemplified by el slime rufai. The guy is an opportunist chameleon of the highest order, just like most politicians in this country. I'm beginning to admire Jonathan's bare directness though i'm suffering as well.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 1:36pm On Jan 13, 2012
El Rufai to my knowledge is not against the concept of fuel subsidy removal, but the specific implementation and the way GEJ is going about it.

True or false?

Or has he outright condemned any attempt to remove it, period?

If he has, show me where he has said this.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by jmaine: 1:37pm On Jan 13, 2012
edoyad:

@ekt bear you're missing the point. The OP is trying to highlight the hypocrisy of Nigerian politicians as exemplified by el slime rufai.

He was obviously quick to attack without being aware he was just fooling around with himself . . .
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 1:39pm On Jan 13, 2012
Well, let us see.

Demonstrate that El Rufai is a hypocrite. Show me where he has said he thinks that oil subsidy is GOOD economic policy in the long term.

That he takes issue with the way GEJ is removing it doesn't mean he is against the concept.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by edoyad(m): 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2012
He's a hypocrite because calling for a 400% jump in the price of electricity to improve efficiency is not in any different from calling for 150% increase in petrol prices. Infact it's even worse if you consider the scale of it.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by paragonpro: 1:48pm On Jan 13, 2012
Why can the black African thik holistically? What el rufai is saying is right, but under the appropriate conditions.

It is nonsensical to deregulate the oil industry without deregulating the whole power sector, because producing electricity depends to a large extent on oil and gas.
You cannot deregulate petroleum and regulate electricity.

That is why I wonder at the motives of our policy makers. If they fix electricity and we have adequate power, then at N7.50k per KWH, it w
ould make more sense to drive electric cars, buses and bikes.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by edoyad(m): 1:51pm On Jan 13, 2012
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by jmaine: 1:52pm On Jan 13, 2012
Former Federal Capital City , FCT, Minister, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai at a forum organized by NERC urged the electricity regulatory body to insist on "eye-catching" tariff that would attract direct foreign investment. He suggested that electricity tariffs need to go up by between 300 and 400 per cent to attract investors into the power sector and provide adequate electricity to Nigerian populace.[size=20pt] He advised NERC to "do that which is needful by having the courage to increase the tariff irrespective of how politically incorrect it might be.[/size]" Recall recent revelations that el-Rufai was at the helm of affairs at the Bureau for Public Enterprise, BPE, that mismanaged the privatization programme.

Who is deceiving who ? Some peeps just like arguing just for the sake of it . . .What does the part bolded in red means . .
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 13, 2012
if the moronic fg had sorted out electricity there would not be this much resistance to deregulation in the first place.

small and medium sized businesses and households in nigeria run on petrol generators

welders, barbers, battery chargers, mamputs, business centers, hairdressers, beer parlours, small firms - the list is endless

none of them would object to a 400% increase in energy bills if it is accompanied by uninterrupted power supply.

it is bad enough that close to 1/5th of my take home pay is on fueling my generator, that does not include engine oil, spark plugs, emeergency and routine maintenance, overhauls etc etc. . throw in problematic inverter and batteries

now multiply that by industries across the nation. there are facilities where phcn has failed which run on diesel for months.

i have stated previously, i have no issues with increase in energy tariffs - just give me a card meter first. no to outrageous estimated bills at the end of a month of darkness
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 1:52pm On Jan 13, 2012
Well, let me quote the man himself:

The removal of fuel subsidy was greeted with mixed feelings. How do you see the action of President Goodluck Jonathan?

Well, I have already written about this fuel subsidy conundrum and I think that the timing and the deceit that went around the removal of the fuel subsidy is the main reason people are angry. I[b] think the government has missed the point[/b] of peoples’ anger about the fuel subsidy. It is not an economic argument; it is not a political argument because some of the people in government are accusing some of us in the opposition of being opposed to it for political reasons. It is more than that. It is a trust issue. Nigerians do not trust this government to use the resources well and there is nothing the government can do to earn that trust unless they get the work of the people done. This government has earned $200 billion from the sale of crude oil and taxes in the last four years and it has done nothing with it. Why would another $7 billion make the difference?
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/jan/08/national-08-01-2012-005.html

Now, is it crystal clear why he is not a hypocrite? No doubt he agrees 100% with the economic argument. But the other aspects, he doesn't.

Just because you think it makes economic sense to remove the fuel subsidy doesn't mean you'll support its removal if you don't have any faith in the FG to do anything better with the money.

Hell, when we first discussed this issue 9 or 10 months ago, I think everyone agreed with the economic part. But they didn't necessarily think it a good idea to remove the subsidy, due to lack of trust in the government.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by edoyad(m): 2:03pm On Jan 13, 2012
It would interest you to know that Nigeria at the moment is in a far better position to subsidize or maintain low power rates than low petrol prices. Why? Power is, and has always been 100% produced and distributed in the country, unlike the dirty petroleum sector with various shady deals. The entire gamut of electricity production and distribution is almost entirely under the control of Nigeria today. Which of the commodities do you think would more efficiently subsidized?
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 2:15pm On Jan 13, 2012
I also question this premise that the arguments for the removal of fuel subsidy are exactly the same as that of the removal of electricity tariff.

Whether you subsidize oil or not, people will be able to get oil at market prices, right? Worst case I buy it from some black market dealers somewhere at slightly more than market rates. Or if not PMS, there are affordable substitutes like diesel. And the damage to the Nigerian economy is basically capped at whatever the Nigerian government spends per year on subsidy. $7-8 billion.

However, for the electricity market? Well, the end result of the current tarriff regime is no affordable electricity in Nigeria, period. You get light for 4 hours a day, and for the other 20 hours a day you are generating electricity from a generator. So the end result is that you pay more for electricity overall in Nigeria than in places where it is deregulated (you probably pay 2X or 3X of what some guy in the western world pays.)

There is no black market dealer I can get electricity from at a reasonable price.

So my business that depends on PMS will survive whether there is a subsidy or not. But if my business depends on electricity, I am absolutely screwed. . . my factory in Nigeria can never compete against one based in Brazil, the US, China, etc.

The overall impact of lack of electricity on the economy is larger than the impact of the fuel subsidy.

I do agree that if one supports the removal of the electricity tariff regime, you should also logically support the removal of the fuel subsidy. But the impact of the two is not the same, and the way they damage the economy isn't the same.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by hercules07: 2:21pm On Jan 13, 2012
The problem with government is trust and corruption, before the government exposes us to monopolists and sharks, we need them to be transparent. I do not much agree with ekt on economic policies as he is a no holds barred capitalist, but on this, he is right (can we truly know what it costs to sell a KW at profit?).
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by jmaine: 2:22pm On Jan 13, 2012
[size=14pt]He advised NERC to "do that which is needful by having the courage to increase the tariff irrespective of how politically incorrect it might be[/size]

Can we have a clear understanding of the phrase above bolded in red . . . GEJ is being accused of being politically wrong/incorrect [/b]for not assenting to the dissenting voices of the masses which is understandable . .And the main reason is that in a [b]democratic setting, being autocratic in a decision making process is politically wrong/incorrect, especially with noticeable dissent coming from the masses (Though not all) . . .

All these reasons are accrued to the distrust the masses have in the government . . .which is political in itself . . cos the people have lost believe in the political system to deliver, due to a long history of dishonesty and personal greed . . .

Now with the above stated facts . . .[b]How has El-rufai hypocritical stance [/b]changed . . trying to place a one sided shallow defense won't suffice here . . .the evidence are clear . . .
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by muami(m): 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2012
El Rufai to NERC  "increase tariff so that foreign investors can come in and fix the power sector.
Govt to Nigerians "We need to deregulate/remove subsidy so that investors can come in and build refineries and fix the oil sector
El Rufai to Govt: "NO. Fix the refineries first before increasing price of fuel/removing subsidy

Which part of the hypocricy do people don't understand?
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 2:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
He is only a hypocrite if you boil down his arguments to that sentence.

If he is asking for a slowed increase of the subsidy (say over a 3-4 year period), is he then a hypocrite?

If he wants the subsidy removal matched by reduction of the costs of government (74% recurrent expenditure), he is still a hypocrite?

If he wants some accountability for where the money was spend over the past several years before the subsidy is removed (literally billions of dollars gone), is he still a hypocrite?

I do not think the three above requests are unreasonable or hypocritical.

You and jmaine have either missed his points entirely, or are purposefully distorting what he is saying.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by efisher(m): 2:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
El-Rufai is my man but truth be told, this is a good example of the insincerity behind most of those leading the protests. If they were in the President's shoes, they would do same or even worse. I would move remove subsidy completely if I were in the president's shoes but with a slightly different approach (I.e. high level awareness campaign prior to implementation).
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Remii(m): 2:34pm On Jan 13, 2012
If electricity is improved, yes, price increased of 100 - 200% is okay, provided you use prepaid meter.  I use N5000 worth of units card for more than a month when PHCN gives about 18 hrs daily average supply. The cost to fill about 6hrs average amount to about N30,000 per month, so for me paying N15,000 per month for 24hrs light is good deal.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by edoyad(m): 2:35pm On Jan 13, 2012
ekt_bear:

I also question this premise that the arguments for the removal of fuel subsidy are exactly the same as that of the removal of electricity tariff.

Whether you subsidize oil or not, people will be able to get oil at market prices, right? Worst case I buy it from some black market dealers somewhere at slightly more than market rates. Or if not PMS, there are affordable substitutes like diesel. And the damage to the Nigerian economy is basically capped at whatever the Nigerian government spends per year on subsidy. $7-8 billion.

However, for the electricity market? Well, the end result of the current tarriff regime is no affordable electricity in Nigeria, period. You get light for 4 hours a day, and for the other 20 hours a day you are generating electricity from a generator. So the end result is that you pay more for electricity overall in Nigeria than in places where it is deregulated (you probably pay 2X or 3X of what some guy in the western world pays.)

There is no black market dealer I can get electricity from at a reasonable price.

So my business that depends on PMS will survive whether there is a subsidy or not. But if my business depends on electricity, I am absolutely screwed. . . my factory in Nigeria can never compete against one based in Brazil, the US, China, etc.

The overall impact of lack of electricity on the economy is larger than the impact of the fuel subsidy.

I do agree that if one supports the removal of the electricity tariff regime, you should also logically support the removal of the fuel subsidy. But the impact of the two is not the same, and the way they damage the economy isn't the same.

Let us track back to the subject, El rufai the person,is the subject of this argument. If anything i believe he is one of the most brilliant minds we have in this country. The problem is that he has chosen to join the opposition on an issue I know he would fully have championed as a cabinet member. I remember how doggedly he stuck to the abuja " master plan" inspite of how unpopular it was. He destroyed property worth billions during his time as FCT minister.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 13, 2012
GEJ is not telling us anything that has not been said before

deregulation will lead us to the promised land, it will turn nigeria into utopia, there will be 0 infant mortality, it will produce jobs , elecricity blah blah blah

unfortunately, he has a severe credibility gap as all he has done with mos of nigeria's income to date s waste it

20billion dollars in ECA gone with NOTHING  to show for it.

and we are supposed to believe him?

puhleeze
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by muami(m): 2:37pm On Jan 13, 2012
ekt_bear:

He is only a hypocrite if you boil down his arguments to that sentence.

If he is asking for a slowed increase of the subsidy (say over a 3-4 year period), is he then a hypocrite?

If he wants the subsidy removal matched by reduction of the costs of government (74% recurrent expenditure), he is still a hypocrite?

If he wants some accountability for where the money was spend over the past several years before the subsidy is removed (literally billions of dollars gone), is he still a hypocrite?

I do not think the three above requests are unreasonable or hypocritical.

You and jmaine have either missed his points entirely, or are purposefully distorting what he is saying.

Did yoy see/hear him suggest similar measures to NERC before they can increase tariff?
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by muami(m): 2:42pm On Jan 13, 2012
Remii:

If electricity is improved, yes, price increased of 100 - 200% is okay, provided you use prepaid meter.  I use N5000 worth of units card for more than a month when PHCN gives about 18 hrs daily average supply. The cost to fill about 6hrs average amount to about N30,000 per month, so for me paying N15,000 per month for 24hrs light is good deal.
Does'nt that expose his hypocricy even more? He wa calling for a tariff hike for an essential commodity that is not available without asking that they give us the electricity first. Yet he is asking the govt to fix the refineries first before increasing the price of fuel when for the last 16 months there is been steady availability of fuel(something that never happened in El Rufai's Tenure)
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 2:44pm On Jan 13, 2012
muami:

Did yoy see/hear him suggest similar measures to NERC before they can increase tariff?

There is a difference between proposing an idea and coming up with a plan to implement it.

I do not recall reading of any specific plan by El Rufai. All I remember reading was him advocating this general idea.

Are you saying that El Rufai proposed a specific plan, and that his plan was more akin to GEJ's (thus not taking care of the above issues)?

If so, kindly show us where this plan was mentioned.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by jmaine: 2:46pm On Jan 13, 2012
Let's us stop dancing and face simple facts . . . this is your post below . . .

ekt_bear:

Well, let me quote the man himself:
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/jan/08/national-08-01-2012-005.html

Now, is it crystal clear why he is not a hypocrite? No doubt he agrees 100% with the economic argument. But the other aspects, he doesn't.

Just because you think it makes economic sense to remove the fuel subsidy [size=14pt]doesn't mean you'll support its removal if you don't have any faith in the FG to do anything better with the money.[/size]

Hell, when we first discussed this issue 9 or 10 months ago, I think everyone agreed with the economic part. [size=14pt]But they didn't necessarily think it a good idea to remove the subsidy, due to lack of trust in the government.[/size]

Your defense on Elrufai is based on lack of trust . . . What you referenced as his quote was centered on trust issues . . If the issue is the general distrust against the government which everyone is aware of, and what El Rufai seem to hammering on to claim the activist that has the people concerns utmost in his heart . . .

Then my post below still stands that Elrufai is a bloody hypocrite . . .

[size=14pt]He advised NERC to "do that which is needful by having the courage to increase the tariff irrespective of how politically incorrect it might be[/size]

Can we have a clear understanding of the phrase above bolded in red . . . GEJ is being accused of being politically wrong/incorrect [/b]for not assenting to the dissenting voices of the masses which is understandable . .And the main reason is that in a [b]democratic setting, being autocratic in a decision making process is politically wrong/incorrect, especially with noticeable dissent coming from the masses (Though not all) . . .

All these reasons are accrued to the distrust the masses have in the government . . .which is political in itself . . cos the people have lost believe in the political system to deliver, due to a long history of dishonesty and personal greed . . .

Now with the above stated facts . . .[b]How has El-rufai hypocritical stance [/b]changed . . trying to place a one sided shallow defense won't suffice here . . .the evidence are clear . . .
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 2:56pm On Jan 13, 2012
Wetin concern accountability about past spending with political correctness?

Who is accusing GEJ of political incorrectness?

El Rufai is making very specific criticisms, not vague and wishy-washy criticisms. I would suggest that you quote any such that you disagree with and discuss why they are unreasonable or hypocritical.

Or are you saying asking for a gameplan for refineries to be built, accountability for past spending, reduction of recurrent expenditure from 74%, slowed phaseout of the subsidy removal, etc is all "political correctness" rather than substantive criticism?
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 2:59pm On Jan 13, 2012
The onus is on you all to demonstrate that he is a hypocrite, not for anyone else to demonstrate that he is not.

Thus far, you all have failed woefully.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Your Governor Known For? / Ozekhome, Abductors Demand N250m Ransom / The Elusive Director Of Radio Biafra Surface Live In Aba Now-(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.