Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,556 members, 7,955,062 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:52 PM

It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor (2093 Views)

Pictures Of Hired Youths Protesting Against Subsidy Probe Panel’s Report / 13 Igbos Murdered In Mubi Were Killed By Their Kinsmen, Not Boko Haram! / Kaduna Police Using Force Against Subsidy Protesters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Nobody: 2:00am On Jan 15, 2012

National President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, (CAN), Pastor Ayodele Oritsejafor, in this interview with KEHINDE OYETIMI, stresses the need for a collective fight against Boko Haram, holding that the protest against fuel subsidy removal has political undertone. Excerpts:

WHAT will you say on the declaration of war on Christians in the North by members of the Boko Haram?

I will encourage the Federal Government to be firm and do what they are supposed to do for the security of lives and property of Nigerians. I don’t think I want to comment further than that for the fact that it was the Boko Haram leader that said that. I can’t see myself responding or reacting to him. It is belittling.

The protest by Labour and many Nigerians against the increase in petrol price seemed to have been hijacked. Unfortunately, it appears that many do not even understand the position of the Federal government on the removal of the subsidy. What is your take on this?

My heart truly goes out to Nigerians at this time. Many people are angry and that is understandable. You have to pay so much for transport now. It is heavy on Nigerians and I understand how they feel. But I would appeal to Labour and the civil society and the various groups out there. Please for the sake of God and for the sake of our country, they should go back and sit with the government and find a way to come out of this. This strike should not go on indefinitely.

Like we are already seeing, the some people are already taking advantage of it. It has started already and only God knows how far this can go. There are even more dangerous persons. I must be very blunt. God forbid that Boko Haram would come in and take advantage of what is happening and cause the real big problem that we are all running away from. We do not want to hear such things.

Again, they should give the President a chance; they should sit and negotiate further and talk. I pray that Nigeria would not lose sight of the plight of fellow Nigerians that are dying every day in the North. While we have well meaning protest leaders, I noticed that there are some people who are just opportunists. Because they found out that this thing is popular, all of them are out on the streets. They want to score cheap political points. They are out there making a lot of noise.

The question that I have for such persons is: Where were you when Nigerians were being shot all over the North? Why did you not organise this kind of protest? Are you trying to tell me that petrol is more important than human life? Can we put petrol and human life on the same scale? We can’t do that! I mean human life is precious. You can’t compare petrol to human life. Dead people don’t buy fuel! Dead people don’t go to the market! Dead people can’t drive cars! It is only the living that can use fuel for God’s sake.

There are some wrong people out there right now. I am very sad with the House of Representatives for convening an emergency sitting because of fuel. They could not convene emergency meeting when people were being killed every day. In fact, it was on a Sunday. The Christians abandoned church services because of fuel subsidy.

As we are talking now, people are dying. Last week, four young Igbo Christians, who were buying fuel in Potiskum, were gunned down and nobody is talking about this. Three women in Tafawa Balewa in Bauchi went to look at their farms but were gunned down. Some people said that their eyes were plucked. They had to call me to console the people and talk to the elders of that community by phone. You could feel the pains.

Some days in Gusau, Zamfara State, six churches were vandalized under the pretext of fuel subsidy riots. Only God saved us that people were not inside those churches. I can go on and on.

Some days ago, the governor of Borno State gave N100 million to the families of the father-in-law of the late Yusuf. N100 million to the families of a slain criminal! Who is going to compensate Pastor Orji’s wife and children that I had to relocate out of Maiduguri? I rented a house for them; I paid for two years. I bought a car. I started a business for her. I am still spending money on the children.

Are you saying that Nigerians should fight Boko Haram and not fuel subsidy?

That is my point! Yes, I feel that fuel subsidy is important but human life is on a higher scale. They should put this energy into fighting Boko Haram. Let us end this madness.

On Saturday, President Jonathan slashed the salaries of members of the executive but many believe that his fight against corruption is not strong enough. What can you say on this?

Probably what people want is for him to do more. I think he is doing what he is supposed to do. They want him to do more. Desperate situations demand desperate measures. I think with the way things are today, even the EFCC is being reorganised. Let us give the man a chance, let us see what he is going to do.

In many parts of the country where there are protests, it appears hoodlums have taken over as they now collect valuables from Nigerians…

When things like this happen, there are opportunists. There are people who just jump on things to get cheap popularity. They don’t really mean well for Nigeria and Nigerians. Some of them are failed politicians; they are people who have lost out in the political equation. They are trying to use the removal of fuel subsidy to re-launch themselves and to be acceptable to the people. Some of them have never seen such assemblage. They want to jump there and talk. Unfortunately, for journalists, instead of concentrating on the people who are dying every day, they flash them (the protests) on the front-page: mother of all protests, sister of all protests and uncle of all protests! I mean it is ridiculous. It is not surprising to me that the wrong people have hijacked it.

My advice is that Labour should sit with the government and find a way to end this thing. It is not good for us; it is not good for Nigerians and for anybody. We should concentrate; we should return to the issue. The issue that Nigeria is facing is the issue of security. We have a serious problem of insecurity in the country. We need to go back to it. If this protest was on that, I think it would be more meaningful. That does not remove the fact that I care for Nigerians.

I want to use this opportunity to say shame on southern governors! Shame on them! Shame, shame, shame…three times on them! That their people are being killed and slaughtered and none of them is coming out to say anything. They cannot even engage their northern counterparts, to tell them and insist that such things must stop, and publicly or privately go to them and tell them that they must stop this. That we are doing all we can to protect the lives of your people in the south. This is not proper. Does it then mean that southern governors are not religious too?

If Borno State governor can give out N100 million to the families of Yusuf, I am asking myself where are the governors in the south? Don’t they wear shoes that pinch them? Does it then mean that their people who are dying are not shoes that pinch them? That they cannot go to their counterparts and tell them that they must compensate them? That they must rebuild their businesses? That they must settle the widows? That they must help the orphans? No wonder no single church has a Certificate of Occupancy in the north? Does it not occur to them that there are states in the far north where there are laws on ground that says that any landowner must not sell any piece of land to anyone who wants to build a church or brothel? It is a law in some of the states in the north.

Can you imagine putting a church and brothel side by side? That means that you are comparing a church with the harlot’s house. If any law like that comes out in the south, how would this people take it? I am not against Islam; I am not against these Muslims. I know good Muslims, men and women who are good Muslims with good hearts. We own Nigeria together; we want to work with them but these are the realities on ground. I am also putting this blame on all governors for not doing what they ought to do. I am ashamed that they are silent and not doing anything. They ought to make stronger moves and go to their colleagues and say this thing must stop. We ought to fight this from different angles.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/the-polity/6114-its-shameful-that-people-can-rally-against-oil-subsidy-and-not-boko-haram-oritsejafor
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Onlytruth(m): 4:53am On Jan 15, 2012

The question that I have for such persons is: Where were you when Nigerians were being shot all over the North? Why did you not organise this kind of protest? Are you trying to tell me that petrol is more important than human life? Can we put petrol and human life on the same scale? We can’t do that! I mean human life is precious. You can’t compare petrol to human life. Dead people don’t buy fuel! Dead people don’t go to the market! Dead people can’t drive cars! It is only the living that can use fuel for God’s sake.

There are some wrong people out there right now. I am very sad with the House of Representatives for convening an emergency sitting because of fuel. They could not convene emergency meeting when people were being killed every day. In fact, it was on a Sunday. The Christians abandoned church services because of fuel subsidy.

As we are talking now, people are dying. Last week, four young Igbo Christians, who were buying fuel in Potiskum, were gunned down and nobody is talking about this. Three women in Tafawa Balewa in Bauchi went to look at their farms but were gunned down. Some people said that their eyes were plucked. They had to call me to console the people and talk to the elders of that community by phone. You could feel the pains.

Pastor, for being a true servant of the most high, may God bless you and your family. May he feed you fat in the days of famine. May your mistakes turn to good fortune. May you never lack, and may untimely death never see you or your children.
Amen! cool
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by koruji(m): 5:02am On Jan 15, 2012
Abeg go siddon with that always about us approach.

If you guys are calling for demonstrations, what should people on the Jos Plateu call for? You and Ayo Oritsejafor know who is handling all these issues with kids gloves. Unfortunately he is also the same guy as your benefactor.

Wonders shall never end. Don't rally against subsidy removal if you don't rally against Boko Haram

You should be ashamed to use the issue of Boko Haram as a shield for GEJ and his dastardly approach to the subsidy issue. Many are the pains of the one making wrong decisions - leave Nigerians out of it - they are already on the receiving end of both BH and subsidy removal.

Onlytruth:

Pastor, for being a true servant of the most high, may God bless you and your family. May he feed you fat in the days of famine. May your mistakes turn to good fortune. May you never lack, and may untimely death never see you or your children.
Amen! cool
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by efisher(m): 5:08am On Jan 15, 2012
I score Pastor Ayo 100% for this piece.
Shame on southern governors for not insisting on an end to the madness of "marginalization" and "murder" of their citizens in the north.
Shame on failed politicians for taking advantage of the situation.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Nobody: 5:26am On Jan 15, 2012
He wasn't capable of starting a protest of his own? Why is it that when a protest does emerge, people have to find reason to complain? Yes, we as Nigerians have been extremely tolerant. We've been angry and complaining for years and nothing came out of it. Government took us as 160 million mumus. It was beyond foolish to wait this long, but they're here now. Is supporting them regardless of timing too hard?

The past is for learning, not lamenting and complaining. No matter how much lamenting you do, it will remain as it is. Best thing now is to look at our past, tell ourselves "this shall not happen again", and work to have a different and better future. We can't allow history to repeat itself.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by vedaxcool(m): 5:57am On Jan 15, 2012
YEye man with thief man cap
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Onlytruth(m): 6:00am On Jan 15, 2012
vedaxcool:

YEye man with thief man cap

Simply because he said the truth?
Na wa for una. undecided
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Xmind1: 6:07am On Jan 15, 2012
@Veda cool,

You no dey fear.when you insult people anyhow how do you feel? Is that your nature or is it that you are just being rude.better come to your senses before you get yourself into trouble one day.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by peckhamboi: 6:20am On Jan 15, 2012
This bastard deserves to be shot.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Xmind1: 6:36am On Jan 15, 2012
@peckhamboi,

How are you better than boko haram? Are you not pursuing the same agenda with them. Now you want to kill CAN president.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by tetraman(m): 6:38am On Jan 15, 2012
MUMU ! if he wanted a protest why didn't he organise one and rally chritisians across all denominations and all across the nation. Muslims would have faced the pressure and joined, he could have used the influence of CAN. instead of running around like a fool. He went to Aso rock, instead of calling for mass action against boko haram, mumu says christians will defend themselves next to the C-in-C. Failure to strategise ! This guy motula pass !
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Nchara: 6:43am On Jan 15, 2012
This is what I have been saying: protest against the mundane (fuel subsidy) in stead of protest against the human (loss of lives)
Little wonder the lives of [b]many [/b]Nigerians (especially those in Lagos) are not worth a penny. Some see corpses and just step over them.
I blame Oritsejafor though, for not leading a protest on this on behalf of Christianity

And,

Shame on Igbo leaders (Governors, Assembly men and religious and community leaders) for not doing the same for their people, who are the main targets of these murderers

Shame on other Nigerians (Yoruba, etc) who sit back non-challantly while human beings are murdered, just because their own groups are less, or not, targeted.

We here on cyberspace have done our bit talking about it and giving it some currency and circulation on cyberspace (which has a more far-reaching effect globally).
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by hercules07: 7:35am On Jan 15, 2012
The problem with this man is that he is turning BH into some Christian versus Muslim thing whereas BH do not discriminate, they kill all. The guy given 100 million naira was not a member of BH, he had every right to be compensated, why is a Pastor spreading falsehood, I do not reckon with someone like him and the earlier CAN get someone from the orthodox church who knows what diplomacy and building bridges is all about the earlier.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 15, 2012
now that you have made this observation, spokesman for the government, can yo do something about it, other than run your empty mouth?

this is what gbawe meant when he said we have god and bad yorubas

in the days of abacha, several yoruba musicians, including shina peters became praise singers for the man. but sunny ade said nada

while others were falling over themselves to endorse abacaha, bola ige descibed them as the five fingers of a leprous hand

i wonder what this man has to say about the corruption in high places? is it not his place to speak out against the graft and profligrancy?

what does he have to say about gej's ibillion in feeding, given that gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins?

has he tried to caution gej for imposing poverty on the masses?

instead of making empty mouth, as 'an anointed man of God' go to valley of the shadow of death, fear no evil and give succor to fools who still think you stand for something, instead of bleating high faluting blather.

why did you not berate gej into calling a state of emergency months ago?

btw, in these times of largesse, what is the going customary transport fare for a trip to aso rock and delta state govt house?

and why did you have nothing to say when boko haram was killing muslims in the months of their build up? why did you have nothing to say when they bombed the un? what does that say about you? oe perhaps you will only get riled when a sizeable number of christains are killed by the df in the ongoing protests
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by dplordx(m): 8:03am On Jan 15, 2012
Ayo: Shut Up angry! Did Jonah and NASS rally against Boko? Wasnt Badluck way too obsessed with punishing the masses for crimes they never committed?

Though, I wish my gov rochas had done things differently from the likes of the other hypocrites.
I dont know why we let too much politics create dangerous inaction on our part, Why cant we start killing all the northers in ibo-land.
Talk about sending them a meaningful message and burning down any aboki we lay our hands on, We dont even need to talk before we get really loud.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by mastro: 8:30am On Jan 15, 2012
I score Pastor Ayo 100% for this piece.
Shame on southern governors for not insisting on an end to the madness of "marginalization" and "murder" of their citizens in the north.
Shame on failed politicians for taking advantage of the situation.

I score him 0% or F, the man is making an idiotic argument.

How are we supposed to rally against an illegal terrorist group, the point of protests is to force a change in policy from the govt we elected. Even if the whole country were to hit the streets the terrorists will not change their ways (that's why they are terrorists  grin )
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 15, 2012
Do you hear the BITTER truth?  Are you trying to run away for REALITY?

ogugua88:

He wasn't capable of starting a protest of his own? Why is it that when a protest does emerge, people have to find reason to complain? Yes, we as Nigerians have been extremely tolerant. We've been angry and complaining for years and nothing came out of it. Government took us as 160 million mumus. It was beyond foolish to wait this long, but they're here now. Is supporting them regardless of timing too hard?

The past is for learning, not lamenting and complaining. No matter how much lamenting you do, it will remain as it is. Best thing now is to look at our past, tell ourselves "this shall not happen again", and work to have a different and better future. We can't allow history to repeat itself.

@Ogugua

Ogugua, you fight for a Nigeria that never existed and that may never exist. If you have experienced riots, seen innocent lives dropped in your presence, participated in community vigilante to keep Barbarians at arms length; then you will understand my grievances. The protest is not fundamentally sound. I used to be very critical of GEJ and his advisers; but the fact that the protest has been hijacked by opportunists shows how incompetent it is and that has shifted my view favorably towards him. Although the subsidy removal sound good in the long run, the timing and implementation was off course and also considering the security situation in the country. He has good intentions. But does only good intentions bring change? No. People are reporting increase in electricity supply. First time in the history of this country. If they wanted to protest, why don't they go OCCUPY NASS and the SENATE?  The real seat of corruption. I am not a pessimist neither am I an optimist in this sense, I am just being a pragmatist.

Tunde Bakare that is trying too hard to be Martin Luther king of his time. The barbaric and senseless Alabama and other bombings against African Americans changed the Rev King drastically and made him know his battles. where was Pastor Bakare's UTTERMOST outraged with the carnage on innocent Christians? Did he visit the Madalla bombing site? I don't think so, does he have the Guts? He is doing his masters bidding. He is soooo bitter because his dream of becoming Vice president was shattered by the people's will. I am sick and tired of people using Igbo's as scape goats. Damned if we do; damned if we don't. There was also a thread raised by a bigot here about how Igbo's are the cause of problems in South Africa. These cowards even went to the extent of commenting on widely read South African newspapers like Sowetan about a particular ethnic group in Nigeria, as if they too don't have their own set of spoilers. Instead of address it as a Nigerian thing, these so called educated set of people tried so hard to paint us red. It wasn't the first time something like that has happened. Are these the set of betrayers and saboteurs you want me to join? Once bitten, twice shy, my friend.

The Boka Haram of today is not the ones of yesterday. I used to share your view about how the sect constituted a very tiny minority. According to what they said, they have changed their STRATEGY. Specifically targeting Christians and Ndigbo to send their message across. That is uncalled for and unacceptable. Coupled with the deafening silence from Northern leaders as ONLYTRUTH and [b]Chima12 [/b]pointed out. On numerous occasions, innocent victims of their barbaric acts have been mocked constantly on this forum by certain group of people trying to score cheap political points. I don't believe in negotiating with terrorist groups who think very less of human lives no matter where they come from. These people can go extra miles. And the fact that majority of Northerners are illiterate gives them free will and hand to infiltrate the system and poison the minds of lower strata of their society. They still mainly operate within the Northeast axis, by the time they bring their carnage to main cities in the North like Kano, Katsina, Sokoto by causing mayhem, then we may have reached the point of no return. I still have faith in these states, because they are the North you are hearing about with the largest share of educated Hausas and the very prominent ones you hear about often on National news; the likes of Dangote, Dantata, Sanusi( grandson of the Emir), Kabo, Buhari, Yar Adua and many others. I am afraid political Islam is taking root in Nigeria just like other North African countries are experiencing now, and they would want to spread their proxy wars down here to gain much influence. BH ought to be curtailed fast like Maitatsineelse back in the 80's or kiss the fragile peace you know today BYE BYE.

I have seen and experienced a lot of things, to make me an ardent Igbo fanatic and a Biafran nationalist. Despite that, I still believed in the future of Nigeria. My grandpa whose properties were confiscated and stolen after the war in Rivers and wasn't paid his dues after working for Shell didn't cloud my sense of reasoning. In addition to that, I can attest to people in our Mba who were killed or paralyzed by bombs left years after the end of the war. I told the experienced ones that we - the young generation- can Right the past for the betterment of one Nigeria. And they would say, we won't understand. Most times, what an experienced person can see sitting down; an inexperienced person can't see standing on top of mount everest. There was no real closure in the aftermath of the war by the Nigerian state. Neither were there a concrete sense of reconciliation from the side of the aggressors. Instead, there has been systematic and institutional discrimination. It is enshrined in the constitution, that every Nigerian has the right to reside anywhere he or she feels like. Why is the reverse becoming the case? Why are innocent men targeted for just trying to provide for their families? Why are their families allowed to go through the cycle of fear and lose? Is subsidy and the higgledy piggledy of the self centered protest going on in the streets more important than HUMAN LIVES? Do you care of subsidy than you do of innocent human blood being butchered with impunity? I need answers to these questions. But I seem not to be getting them. It has shifted my views Drastically and will continue to do so, if this madness of misplaced priorities continues.

As much as we all like to admire these great men( Ghandi, Mandela and Rev King), they didn't preach and ventilate COMPLACENCY. It is a destructive concept and already taking root in the societies they sacrificed for. The Indian caste system is still practically in place. The African Americans seem to have lost their sense of purpose; hence they are disproportionally unemployed, social and political awareness in tarters due to too much emphasis on baseless entertainment and quest for materialism. Their communities and social fabric is in disarray, go to places like Detriot, Campton, LA and see for yourself. Is that what King fought for? Complacency? Where is the Harlem Renaissance of the 21century? Who will lead it? The older crop of their leaders are aged and gradually kicking the bucket. The South African society is fundamentally fractured; hence, the xenophobic attacks that ensued in 2008 against fellow black Africans that stood firm FOR them during their predicaments at the hands of a wicked few. Will Mandela do everything for them? He is only mortal and has DONE his part.

Thomas Jefferson highlighted this Complacency about America when he said:

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

This quote is being manifested today after more than 200years.

As long as we continue to misplace our priorities in this country. Nigeria will continue to be a fleeting illusion. Instead of put my life on the line for her when she has never been ready. Why not reserve it for a more noble cause of defending our people when the time is right and necessary. One very thing I love about Ndigbo is that we honor our heroes. Just like every Ndigbo will be forever grateful to Ojukwu because he spoke for us when we needed it most.

You may see it as blabbing. I don't wish to make you see things my way. I just wanted to highlight how deep the issues at hand are. Each day that passes by, I am still trying to decipher. I hope I don't say Good Morning to you in time to come, knowing quite well that it is Afternoon.

Shalom cool.

The protest is very misplaced. Just merely reverting the fuel subsidy removal or relapsing it. It seems that pastor Ayo can see through my mind. We should stop letting the media direct our thoughts. There are ways to observe society and know where it is heading.  The media are bunch of self interest greedy people. The average Nigerian lack political and social consciousness. Opportunists are using Thugs to want to create Chaos. I happened to be in Cairo during the Egyptian revolution. I can attest to what a REAL protest against a fundamentally flawed system and unexpected revolution is. This is not it.

My faith in Nigeria and the Nigerian people will be redeemed WHEN at this juncture, the Military takes over; restore order with an IRON FIST and set up a council. Arrest politicians, try them and give long sentences to those who deserve it and execute those who have caused the greatest mayhem and suffering to the ordinary Nigerian. Just like J.J Rawlings of Ghana did. Dissolve the Senate and House of Representative, Initiate a new round of elections within one year and BAN certain figures for life from taken part. Then will I believe in the rebirth of a New Nigeria. Apart from that, To hell with it for now. I have more pressing issues to focus on.

Thank you pastor Ayo. May the lord replenish your wisdom in folds and give you the strength to stand firm in this trouble times.

My next line of assault are on Eastern/Southern Governors and legislators. Good Riddance. I need to get back to work. Lives needs to be saved.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Nobody: 10:06am On Jan 15, 2012
AWKA—CATHOLIC Archbishop of Lagos, Anthony Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie, has expressed unhappiness over the present situation of things in the country, stressing that the present government of President Goodluck Jonathan appeared confused.

Addressing newsmen in Awka after inaugurating the ultra-modern St Peter’s Catholic Church, built by a philanthropist, Chief Austin Ndigwe, Okogie observed that everything appeared to have ground to a halt, adding that government seemed to lack the initiative to put things right.

“To say that we are making progress in Nigeria is to deceive ourselves. To those in government, they might be making progress, but to most Nigerians, we are not getting better. The present regime is confused in all its ramifications.

“For instance, they want to remove oil subsidy and the question I ask is, what do they want to do with the money? Up till now, nobody has told Nigerians in specific terms how the money to be saved from removing fuel subsidy will be used.

“If they tell us that they want to channel it to any project, they should be able to tell us which project the money will go into.

“They should also tell us the contractors that will handle such projects so that Nigerians should hold them responsible should they disappoint the people as they were doing in the past.”

He accused government of taking so many projects at a time and realizing none, suggesting that it would be better to concentrate on one or two sensitive projects that touch lives of Nigerians and work towards achieving them.

According to him, there is nothing wrong in government making sure that power is made available on a regular basis, as well as ensuring that the nation’s refineries were producing at optimal capacity.

Okogie noted that these would go a long way towards alleviating the sufferings of the people.

On the issue of Boko Haram, Okogie said government knew those behind it and refused to bring them to book.

He observed, for instance, that a Nigerian who was accused of trying to bomb an American plane last year was still in detention, yet those arrested for allegedly sponsoring Boko Haram activities were released hurriedly from detention.

He argued that treating the issue with kid’s glove would never solve the problem because those behind it were desperate to see Nigeria disintegrate.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/jonathans-govt-confused-okogie/

this is what pastors who have not sold their soul to mammon for transport fare had to say about gej. i wonder what was holding ayo's tongue then. . . the customary transport fare
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by jamace(m): 10:09am On Jan 15, 2012
My dear man of God, just like somebody already mentioned, why don't you mobilise and lead the protest agaist BH?

If you don't know, let me tell you that the burden of poverty is worse than death? Think about the bolded. Thank you.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by nairaman66(m): 10:33am On Jan 15, 2012
Whats has a Fowl got to do with Toot-Brush!
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by megastu(m): 1:11pm On Jan 15, 2012
why didnt he come and tell us that, at Ojota?
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by joeyfire(m): 1:21pm On Jan 15, 2012
@megastu - lol
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 15, 2012
He is right.

People are cut down like animals in the North and not a voice raised in protest.

Here comes the subsidy removal and they are out in full force.

In other words, the typical Nigerian mentality , Everyman for himself , only get involved when it affects me, hence the dire state of the Nation today.

And for those who say Boko Haram is a diversionary tactic by GEJ, I am sorry to say, this is a DAFT assessment and has no relationship to logic or proper situational analysis.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by doctokwus: 2:02pm On Jan 15, 2012
No MOG shd get too close to d govt;it blunts d senses
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by 1025: 2:11pm On Jan 15, 2012
@pastor,
Jesus Christ preached leadership by example when he washed the feet of his disciples. is jonathan budgeting N1b food for himself and his vice the same example.
Proverbs 29:2 says; when the wicked is in power, the ppl mourn but when the righteous is in power the ppl rejoice. pdp has been in power since 1999, the big question here is, are we mourning or rejoicing?
president jonathan took an oath to save our lives and property and he is not doing so and one shld expect him to own up to his failures and make amends or gently resign.
why are always blaming our failures on others. was jonathan expecting a very smooth ride without opposition as the president of nigeria.
we have education, security, medicals, roads, police, judiciary, unemployment, electricity and the almighty CORRUPTION that resides in aso rock.
i expect jonathan to come out and tell us which of these problems he is ready to tackle because we all know, he can't take care of all.
if nigeria has steady power supply, half of the ppl in these protests will not leave the comforts of their houses to stay outside.
we saw the deregulations of kerosine, fertilizers and diesel among other things, we also saw the recovery of abacha's loots, let these ppl come out and point to the areas of our lives/economy where all these funds have improved us.
it is important that preachers do what they preach and leaders lead by examples.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Rgp92: 2:28pm On Jan 15, 2012
frosbel:

He is right.

People are cut down like animals in the North and not a voice raised in protest.

Here comes the subsidy removal and they are out in full force.

In other words, the typical Nigerian mentality , Everyman for himself , only get involved when it affects me, hence the dire state of the Nation today.

And for those who say Boko Haram is a diversionary tactic by GEJ, I am sorry to say, this is a DAFT assessment and has no relationship to logic or proper situational analysis.

How do you protest against terrorist? Tell me please
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by seenoevil1: 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2012
THE TRUTH IS GRADUALLY COMING OUT AND THOSE POLITICIANS USING THIS PROTEST TO SCORE POLITICAL POINTS ARE NOW EXPOSED.

[size=14pt]https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-846431.0.html[/size]

see*noevil:

[size=14pt]THIS BRINGS A NEW DIMENSION TO THE WHOLE OCCUPY PROTEST .[/size]

[size=20pt]Subsidy Protest: Yoruba Youth Group Slams Falana, Bakare, Kwami, Others Over[/size]

A Yoruba youth group, the Yoruba Youths Consultative Forum (YYCF) has
described the involvement of people like[b] Lagos lawyer, Mr. Femi
Falana, Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) Vice Presidential
candidate in the last April election, Pastor Tunde Bakare, CPC
Spokesperson, Yinka Odumakin, Prof Itse Sagay, King Wasiu Ayinde
Mashall (KWAM1
[/b]) and other rights activists in the ongoing protest
against the removal of oil subsidy, describing them as “bunch of
hypocrites.”

The group also called on President Goodluck Jonathan to listen to the
voice of the people, who elected them, saying; “If the people was
right in electing him, they can’t now be wrong in telling him that
they don’t want to be inflicted with additional hardships, which the
removal of oil subsidy has brought on them since January 1.
YYCF, in a statement signed by its Director of Communications, Mr. Ayo
Olorunsola said it was an insult on the collective intellects of
Nigerians that people, who Nigerians should be protesting against are
the ones presenting themselves as friends of the masses.
The group said those seeking to make political capital out of the
protest are the real enemies of Nigeria, adding that; “President
Goodluck Jonathan and all the 36 States governors are responsible for
the pain inflicted on Nigerians with the oil subsidy removal, hence no
political party should play saint on the matter.”
“It is our position that on this Oil Subsidy issue, Nigerians are
being deceived and taken for a ride again.
“The deceivers are those we saw on the podium, addressing protesters
in Lagos yesterday and today, pretending to be friends of the masses.
Those who lost elections and are in search of political leverage in
preparation for 2015 elections cannot be through friends of the masses
on this issue of fuel subsidy.
“People like Falana, Bakare, Odumakin, Sagay, Bola Tinubu, KWAM1 etc,
who kept criminal silent when Lagosians were protesting against the
Lekki Toll Gate, 700 percent increment of Lagos State University
(LASU) fees, daylight rigging of Lagos Local Government elections etc
do not have any moral rights to be leading protest against removal of
oil subsidy.

“In actual fact, these people should be among the people Nigerians
should be protesting against because they are bunch hypocrites,” the
group said.

source : http://247ureports.com/2012/01/subsidy-protest-yoruba-youth-group-slams-falana-bakare-kwami-others-over/

Strong case presented by the Yoruba youths  if you ask me unfortunately the media turns a blind eye to new like this .

Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by toyemz(f): 3:04pm On Jan 15, 2012
@Hercules07

The problem with this man is that he is turning BH into some Christian versus Muslim thing whereas BH do not discriminate, they kill all. The guy given 100 million naira was not a member of BH, he had every right to be compensated, why is a Pastor spreading falsehood, I do not reckon with someone like him and the earlier CAN get someone from the orthodox church who knows what diplomacy and building bridges is all about the earlier.

Not condoling what he says totally

but hey did you listen to the boko haram leader's message on youtube?
speaking in Hausa he did mention that BH number two target were Christians,so he is not wrong on that score

just thot i should let you know
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 15, 2012
Rgp92:

How do you protest against terrorist? Tell me please

You protest to the Governors, senators, house of reps, president etc etc.

Protest can be peaceful , I advocate we engage the cooperation of all Hausa and Yoruba Muslims who are against this carnage and march to the official places of the aforementioned.

However to succeed , we will need police and army protection while en-route simply because Boko Haram may use the opportunity to attack the protesters.

If Nigerians stand up with one voice and say we are against violence anywhere in the country, we then have the mandate of unity to flush out those who are hell bent on Violence.

If we keep silent we are simply passively assisting the enemy.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by megastu(m): 7:23pm On Jan 16, 2012
@pastor Ayo,

It is more shameful that the president Goatluck deployed fully armed soldiers to the streets against unarmed peaceful protesters while crying that he could not do anything against Boko Haram.
Re: It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor by dayokanu(m): 8:14pm On Jan 16, 2012
Can this thief Ayo Oritsejafor just shut up

(1) (Reply)

Dr Chris 'Tunde' Ngige - Anambra 2014 (ACN) - Is It Possible? / Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British / Tambuwal,Saraki Others Shun David Mark’s Peace Talk,Insist On Defection To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.