Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol (34246 Views)

Jonathan Approves Diezani’s Sister And 60 Others For Political Appointments / Pres Jonathan Approves Automatic Promotion for Soldiers who Liberated Baga / Falling Crude Oil Price and Nigeria's N97/Litre Fuel Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jmaine: 2:36am On Jan 16, 2012
DanKan0:

curfew halts the economy anyway,  So i dont see how Govt is getting its way,  Imagine 24 hour curfew Lagos,

But our myopic occupyNigeria frenzy is given a rude end . . The economic suffers applies to you and i . . . but the oil wells are still gushing remember  grin . . . and that accounts for over 90% of proceeds to the government  . .so who loses . . .We the supposed protesters or the government

It's a straight forward response . . .
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 2:36am On Jan 16, 2012
philips70:

Channels Tv spoke to the labour leader on camera after the meeting and was aired some moments ago. The labour leader look subdued and unconvincing when announcing the suspension of street protests.

I just searched the Channels Site and the Internet for this, and all I could come up with was news from friday on the suspension of protests. No worry, by 7am, we go see. I have tons of work to do myself so I will probably not head to bed till about 2 am so, be sure say i go watch to see if what you are saying is true.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by folahann(m): 2:37am On Jan 16, 2012
It's like the labour leaders have been intemidated
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by KayDee4: 2:37am On Jan 16, 2012
Is channelstv online working fine now ?

It was attacking computers last week, something like a virus.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 2:38am On Jan 16, 2012
folahann:

It's like the labour leaders have been intemidated

^^^ Are you sure? http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=31037&cat=Local

Cause that is from ChannelsTV and it says nothing of suspending protests. -- check the date!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by DanKan0: 2:39am On Jan 16, 2012

They also vowed to continue the strike action until a lasting resolution is reached by both parties “For the avoidance of any doubt, the indefinite strikes, rallies and protests continue nationwide from Monday 16th January, 2012”.

http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=31037&cat=Local
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 2:42am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:
Yes, ChannelsTV has been live on the internet for some years now

Oh, I thought you had it on satellite.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 2:43am On Jan 16, 2012
guyz make una check am dis 97 no beta pass 141
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jodeci(m): 2:43am On Jan 16, 2012
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jmaine: 2:44am On Jan 16, 2012
DanKan0:

They also vowed to continue the strike action until a lasting resolution is reached by both parties “For the avoidance of any doubt, the indefinite strikes, rallies and protests continue nationwide from Monday 16th January, 2012”.

Did you bother to verify when that article was posted . . .a quick look at the comments with respect to timing of responses should quell all misconception  grin  . . .
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 2:46am On Jan 16, 2012
jmaine:
Did you bother to verify when that article was posted . . .a quick look at the comments with respect to timing of responses should quell all misconception  grin  . . .

I was about to say similar.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by muami(m): 2:47am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I was watching ChannelsTV all evening, and their man who called in live from Abuja, according to what I saw and heard, never confirmed that Labor actually sat in a meeting with Jonathan this evening. At one point, after his first meeting with Governors and ministers, the reporter said the President had gone in to record the speech for the broadcast. Then less than an hour later, at some minutes past 12, we were told that he was back in meeting with SOME Governors.
Kobojunkie. Has it has not dawned on you yet that your own Channels TV is a black market one?
pls turn to the authentic Channels TV. i would suggest you refresh yours since you say you are watching online.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jodeci(m): 2:47am On Jan 16, 2012
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, this morning, in his second broadcast to the nation in two weeks, reduced the price of petrol from N141.00 to N97.00 per litre.
However, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) president, Comrade Abdulwaheed Omar said President Jonathan agreed with labour to put on hold full deregulation, while labour meets with the Alfa Belgore Committee from today to resolve all issues within three days.

He claimed that security reports indicated that some people might hijack the mass protest which began last week, hence, labour decided to suspend the protests, but stated that the general strike would continue.

Full text of President Jonathan’s speech:

Dear Compatriots,
This is the second time in two weeks I will address you on the deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. In the last seven days, the nation has witnessed a disruption of economic activities.  Although, the economic imperatives for the policy have been well articulated by government, the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) went ahead to declare a nationwide strike.

There was also near-breakdown of law and order in certain parts of the country as a result of the activities of some persons or groups of persons who took advantage of the situation to further their narrow interests by engaging in acts of intimidation, harassment and outright subversion of the Nigerian state. I express my sympathy to those who were adversely affected by the protests.

At the inception of the deregulation policy, Government had set up the Justice Alfa Belgore Committee to liaise with Labour and other stakeholders to address likely grey areas in the policy, but despite all our efforts, Labour refused the option of dialogue and also disobeyed a restraining order of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.

However, following the intervention of the Leadership of the National Assembly, and other well-meaning Nigerians, Labour accepted to meet with government, but this yielded no tangible result.

It has become clear to government and all well-meaning Nigerians that other interests beyond the implementation of the deregulation policy have hijacked the protest. This has prevented an objective assessment and consideration of all the contending issues for which dialogue was initiated by government. These same interests seek to promote discord, anarchy, and insecurity to the detriment of public peace.

Government appreciates that the implementation of the deregulation policy would cause initial hardships and commends Nigerians who have put forth suggestions and credible alternatives in this regard. Government also salutes Nigerians who by and large, conducted themselves peacefully while expressing their grievances.

Let me assure you that government will continue to respect the people’s right to express themselves within the confines of the law and in accordance with the dictates of our democratic space.

Government will continue to pursue full deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. However, given the hardships being suffered by Nigerians, and after due consideration and consultations with state governors and the leadership of the National Assembly, government has approved the reduction of the pump price of petrol to N97 per litre. The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has been directed to ensure compliance with this new pump price.

Government is working hard to reduce recurrent expenditure in line with current realities and to cut down on the cost of governance. In the meantime, government has commenced the implementation of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment projects: including the Federal Government- assisted mass transit programme which is already in place, and job creation for the youth.  

Furthermore, the legal and regulatory regime for the petroleum industry will be reviewed to address accountability issues and current lapses in the Industry. In this regard, the Petroleum Industry Bill will be given accelerated attention. The report of the forensic audit carried out on the NNPC is being studied with a view to implementing the recommendations and sanctioning proven acts of corruption in the industry.

Let me assure Nigerians that this administration is irrevocably committed to tackling corruption in the petroleum industry as well as other sectors of the economy. Consequently, all those found to have contributed one way or the other to the economic adversity of the country will be dealt with in accordance with the law.

My dear compatriots, I urge you to show understanding for the imperatives of the adjustment in the pump price of petrol and give government your full support to ensure its successful implementation. I further appeal to Nigerians to go back to work and go about their normal duties as government has made adequate arrangements for the protection of life and property throughout the federation.

Government will not condone brazen acts of criminality and subversion. As President, I have sworn to uphold the unity, peace and order of the Nigerian State and by the grace of God, I intend to fully and effectively discharge that responsibility.  Let me add that we are desirous of further engagements with Labour. I urge our Labour leaders to call off their strike, and go back to work.

Nigeria belongs to all of us and we must collectively safeguard its unity.

Thank you. God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/34354-fg-pegs-fuel-at-n97-per-litre-labour-suspends-protests-continues-strike

Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 2:47am On Jan 16, 2012
Nairaland is becoming a theater of unhappiness.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by folahann(m): 2:50am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Are you sure? http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=31037&cat=Local

Cause that is from ChannelsTV and it says nothing of suspending protests. -- check the date!

check their tweets at www.twitter.com/channels_Tv
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Diligence: 2:50am On Jan 16, 2012
Our dear Prez Jonathan is so maganimous to hv even considered N97 considerg the rot and corruption he is fightg esp at d downstream sector of the economy.  If those probably confused and overly bribed labour officials  and misguided and disgruntled dregs of the society called protesters are not satisfied, they can all go to hell.

Prez Joe shld neva be deterred by the stupid enthnocentric and pul-im-down antics of the Yorubas and hausa-fulanis, and emark on serious infrastructural dep esp d the south south and south east.  We need industrial cities in these regions, other regions hv had their fair share since independence.

We need another 'Lagos' and 'Abuja' in d south south and south east, afterall na our oil, and these oil thieves and their cronies hv stolen enof!  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.  Ain't it ironic that the goose that lays  the golden eggs has bn so neglected, robbg peter to pay paul,

Oga Jonathan, you are indeed the lion of the tribe of niger delta.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by folahann(m): 2:55am On Jan 16, 2012
Diligence:

Our dear Prez Jonathan is so maganimous to hv even considered N97 considerg the rot and corruption he is fightg esp at d downstream sector of the economy.  If those probably confused and overly bribed labour officials  and misguided and disgruntled dregs of the society called protesters are not satisfied, they can all go to hell.

Prez Joe shld neva be deterred by the silly enthnocentric and pul-im-down antics of the Yorubas and hausa-fulanis, and emark on serious infrastructural dep esp d the south south and south east.  We need industrial cities in these regions, other regions hv had their fair share since independence.

We need another 'Lagos' and 'Abuja' in d south south and south east, afterall na our oil, and these oil thieves and their cronies hv stolen enof!  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.  Ain't it ironic that the goose that lays  the golden eggs has bn so neglected, robbg peter to pay paul,

Oga Jonathan, you are indeed the lion of the tribe of niger delta.  

you shud be shot in the head and your body fed to the birds.
This 2012 for focck's sake
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 2:56am On Jan 16, 2012
folahann:

check their tweets at www.twitter.com/channels_Tv

I am unable to verify the twitter acocunt, but I do know this is channelTvs own website. I see numerous people's tweets making this claim but I am still unable to verify the source for any of the tweet messages.

That article was from yesterday and it does not announce a suspension of protests.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 2:58am On Jan 16, 2012
purefella:

N65 OR CIVIL WAR we know go gree oo DEM MAMA from 97 them go use style turn am to 100 permanent
It is actually 100 Naira per liter not 97 as the topic  poster is alluding to here!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jmaine: 2:59am On Jan 16, 2012
Diligence:

[size=18pt]Oga Jonathan, you are indeed the lion of the tribe of niger delta.  [/size]

lol

Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by ebonino: 2:59am On Jan 16, 2012
whats all this trash about labor suspending the protest.we all know this is beyond labor.the protest is all about SAVE NIGERIA GROUP and CIVIL SOCIETIES.
after all, NLC represents the working class and the entire working class in the country can't make up that population at ojota.
Labor should go and hide their faces in their closets as they have gone down in history as a fraudulent protagonist that succeeded the governor of edo state
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jmaine: 3:02am On Jan 16, 2012

[size=16pt]http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=31037&cat=Local[/size]

Did you bother to verify when that article was posted . . .a quick look at the comments with respect to timing of responses should quell all misconception  grin . . .
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 3:02am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:
I am unable to verify the twitter acocunt, but I do know this is channelTvs own website. I see numerous people's tweets making this claim but I am still unable to verify the source for any of the tweet messages.

That article was from yesterday and it does not announce a suspension of protests.

That's their Twitter page. If you go onto Channel TV's website, scroll down and click on Twitter; under "FOLLOW". It takes you to their official Twitter page and the news is confirmed there.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Vigilante: 3:04am On Jan 16, 2012
My small concern is that the issue of corruption, over bloated budgetary projections and expenditures, waste, large bureacracy and the likes will now take the back seat and all we'll now hear from government apologists will be "give GEJ a chance" and of course business as usual will resume. Nigerians will NEVER even get the peoduct to buy at the new price for the next 3 weeks.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 3:04am On Jan 16, 2012
ebonino:
whats all this trash about labor suspending the protest.we all know this is beyond labor.the protest is all about SAVE NIGERIA GROUP and CIVIL SOCIETIES.
after all, NLC represents the working class and the entire working class in the country can't make up that population at ojota.
Labor should go and hide their faces in their closets as they have gone down in history as a fraudulent protagonist that succeeded the governor of edo state

I wonder o! NLC took the streets a week after the first protests. Now they want to snap their fingers and tell us to stay home lol.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 3:05am On Jan 16, 2012
ogugua88:

That's their Twitter page. If you go onto Channel TV's website, scroll down and click on Twitter; under "FOLLOW". It takes you to their official Twitter page and the news is confirmed there.

Confirmed by whom? That is the question. Honestly, I don't follow tweets cause I don't consider them reliable as anyone could impersonate anyone else. It has happened to be and I don't even consider tweets reliable news source. More like a rumour mill.

Here is another report that came in last night

Meanwhile, labour has pledged that once the price increase suspension is announced, it will immediately suspend the strikes, rallies and street protests.

According to labour unions, talks and consultations were on-going before government aborted them by announcing the 120-220 per cent increase in the price of petrol, and it is necessary to return to the status quo in order to douse tension, return the country to normalcy and allow for a conducive atmosphere for consultations and talks. However, Government’s only offer was to reduce the new prices while declining to allow a phased price increase. We think that the government position will not return the country to normalcy.
http://africanspotlight.com/2012/01/nigeria-nlc-tuc-consider-next-move-after-sunday-strike-talks/
It came in about 9:43pm

So, I am still searching for the source of this suspension of protest claims you guys keep spurting here
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 3:07am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:
Confirmed by whom? That is the question. Honestly, I don't follow tweets cause I don't consider them reliable as anyone could impersonate anyone else. It has happened to be and I don't even consider tweets reliable news source. More like a rumour mill.

http://africanspotlight.com/2012/01/nigeria-nlc-tuc-consider-next-move-after-sunday-strike-talks/

So, I am still searching for the source of this suspension of protest claims you guys keep spurting here

Why would ChannelsTV.com direct you to a false Channels TV twitter page? Were they hacked too? Lol.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by caseymoney(m): 3:08am On Jan 16, 2012
It's a sit at home stirke. Labour said the strike continues but due to treason and security reason, the strike is gonna be a sit at home strike. The Ojota Carnival is over. All perpetrators will be dealt with. The true test of the struggle has just started. This will tell if the Nigerian people are ready for change and claim their country from the so called parasite called Govt.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 3:09am On Jan 16, 2012
ogugua88:

Why would ChannelsTV.com direct you to a false Channels TV twitter page? Were they hacked too? Lol.

I don't care about their tweets or none. I care about information that I consider tangible and I explained why already. If you feel you have to deal with twits than sorry. . . not I.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by muami(m): 3:09am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Confirmed by whom? That is the question
Obviously, your internet is a day old. Call a technician to check it!
BTW, you can read also the papers e.g Guardian, (that is, if your internet can find the current edition!)
And could you pls stop bothering us for proof so we can discuss the important issues arising?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 3:10am On Jan 16, 2012
muami:

Obviously, your internet is a day old. Call a technician to check it!
BTW, you can read also the papers e.g Guardian, (that is, if your internet can find the current edition!)
And could you pls stop bothering us for proof so we can discuss the important issues arising?

If you have nothing sensible to add, it is OK not to respond at all. OK!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by caseymoney(m): 3:13am On Jan 16, 2012
@Kobo, it's written everywhere. Why the worries. It's on all daily newspaper. The strike has not been called off.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Adams Oshiomhole Dancing At APC Rally In Katsina (Photo, Video) / Rotimi Amaechi Sympathizes With Victims Of Election Violence In Rivers. Photos / Ruga: How Buhari Left Governor Lalong In Public Disgrace – Hon. Kaze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.