Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,114 members, 7,821,826 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol (34262 Views)

Jonathan Approves Diezani’s Sister And 60 Others For Political Appointments / Pres Jonathan Approves Automatic Promotion for Soldiers who Liberated Baga / Falling Crude Oil Price and Nigeria's N97/Litre Fuel Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 3:14am On Jan 16, 2012
^^^ Then why are you unable to provide me even one of this EVERYWHERE you have it written on? That is what is being asked of you. Where?? If it is EVERYWHERE, why are you having a hard time producing at least one newspaper link or something tangible to show me of this?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by terrykarl(m): 3:15am On Jan 16, 2012
the strike must go on for atleast one more week,we the jobless nigerian are enjoying the carnival-like atmosphere at the ojota freedom park
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by muami(m): 3:15am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

If you have nothing sensible to add, it is OK not to respond at all. OK!
You shd be ashamed talking about being 'sensible'. If you have any iota of sense in you, you shd have been able to verify an information that has been published by several Nigerian Newspapers online without coming here to display not only your abject lack of research skills but also,
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 3:17am On Jan 16, 2012
terrykarl:

the strike must go on for atleast one more week,we the jobless nigerian are enjoying the carnival-like atmosphere at the ojota freedom park

ROFLMAO!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I saw some women today shouting that it should be 65, or no more, and since their husbands are home, they are happy to wait as long as is necessary. ROFLMAO!!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by muami(m): 3:18am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie, Now that you have been spoon-fed, can you let us be?

FG pegs fuel at N97 per litre •Labour suspends protests, continues strike

| Print | E-mail

Written by Leon Usigbe Monday, 16 January 2012

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, this morning, in his second broadcast to the nation in two weeks, reduced the price of petrol from N141.00 to N97.00 per litre.
However, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) president, Comrade Abdulwaheed Omar said President Jonathan agreed with labour to put on hold full deregulation, while labour meets with the Alfa Belgore Committee from today to resolve all issues within three days.

He claimed that security reports indicated that some people might hijack the mass protest which began last week, hence, labour decided to suspend the protests, but stated that the general strike would continue.

Full text of President Jonathan’s speech:

Dear Compatriots,
This is the second time in two weeks I will address you on the deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. In the last seven days, the nation has witnessed a disruption of economic activities.  Although, the economic imperatives for the policy have been well articulated by government, the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) went ahead to declare a nationwide strike.

There was also near-breakdown of law and order in certain parts of the country as a result of the activities of some persons or groups of persons who took advantage of the situation to further their narrow interests by engaging in acts of intimidation, harassment and outright subversion of the Nigerian state. I express my sympathy to those who were adversely affected by the protests.

At the inception of the deregulation policy, Government had set up the Justice Alfa Belgore Committee to liaise with Labour and other stakeholders to address likely grey areas in the policy, but despite all our efforts, Labour refused the option of dialogue and also disobeyed a restraining order of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.

However, following the intervention of the Leadership of the National Assembly, and other well-meaning Nigerians, Labour accepted to meet with government, but this yielded no tangible result.

It has become clear to government and all well-meaning Nigerians that other interests beyond the implementation of the deregulation policy have hijacked the protest. This has prevented an objective assessment and consideration of all the contending issues for which dialogue was initiated by government. These same interests seek to promote discord, anarchy, and insecurity to the detriment of public peace.

Government appreciates that the implementation of the deregulation policy would cause initial hardships and commends Nigerians who have put forth suggestions and credible alternatives in this regard. Government also salutes Nigerians who by and large, conducted themselves peacefully while expressing their grievances.

Let me assure you that government will continue to respect the people’s right to express themselves within the confines of the law and in accordance with the dictates of our democratic space.

Government will continue to pursue full deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. However, given the hardships being suffered by Nigerians, and after due consideration and consultations with state governors and the leadership of the National Assembly, government has approved the reduction of the pump price of petrol to N97 per litre. The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has been directed to ensure compliance with this new pump price.

Government is working hard to reduce recurrent expenditure in line with current realities and to cut down on the cost of governance. In the meantime, government has commenced the implementation of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment projects: including the Federal Government- assisted mass transit programme which is already in place, and job creation for the youth.  

Furthermore, the legal and regulatory regime for the petroleum industry will be reviewed to address accountability issues and current lapses in the Industry. In this regard, the Petroleum Industry Bill will be given accelerated attention. The report of the forensic audit carried out on the NNPC is being studied with a view to implementing the recommendations and sanctioning proven acts of corruption in the industry.

Let me assure Nigerians that this administration is irrevocably committed to tackling corruption in the petroleum industry as well as other sectors of the economy. Consequently, all those found to have contributed one way or the other to the economic adversity of the country will be dealt with in accordance with the law.

My dear compatriots, I urge you to show understanding for the imperatives of the adjustment in the pump price of petrol and give government your full support to ensure its successful implementation. I further appeal to Nigerians to go back to work and go about their normal duties as government has made adequate arrangements for the protection of life and property throughout the federation.

Government will not condone brazen acts of criminality and subversion. As President, I have sworn to uphold the unity, peace and order of the Nigerian State and by the grace of God, I intend to fully and effectively discharge that responsibility.  Let me add that we are desirous of further engagements with Labour. I urge our Labour leaders to call off their strike, and go back to work.

Nigeria belongs to all of us and we must collectively safeguard its unity.

Thank you. God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/34354-fg-pegs-fuel-at-n97-per-litre-labour-suspends-protests-continues-strike
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by KayDee4: 3:22am On Jan 16, 2012
Why is Jonathan recording speeches and puting them out from his bedroom. Is he scared to address the press face to face ?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 3:22am On Jan 16, 2012
The meeting broke up at about 11.15 p.m. with the president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Abdulwaheed Omar, telling State House correspondents that the ongoing strike would continue since no agreement had been reached.

According to him, “ we are going to continue our deliberations at our orgnaisation level and then, may be we will see the way forward.”

Answering question on whether there was a deadlock, he said “not deadlocked, but we have not reached a compromise.”

[size=13pt]Omar revealed that labour insisted on temporary return of the pump price of petrol to N65 until “a new line of action” was agreed upon.[/size]

The Senate president, David Mark, who spoke on the government side, told reporters that there was no deadlock on the meeting, as he observed that both sides had shifted from the initial positions.

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal agreed with Mark saying negotiations were painfully slow but ongoing.

The meeting, which started at about 8.00 p.m., took a break about 9:43 p.m. before reconvening for the concluding part.

It is also noteworthy that the labour team was about one hour late to the meeting which was concluded at about 11:35. p.m.

http://tribune.com.ng/sun/front-page-articles/6149-strike-continues-nlc-solution-will-come-soon-govt

From the same Tribune some hours before
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jodeci(m): 3:24am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

http://tribune.com.ng/sun/front-page-articles/6149-strike-continues-nlc-solution-will-come-soon-govt

The above news was response to the friday nite meeting. Nawaoo!!!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by philips70(m): 3:26am On Jan 16, 2012
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by muami(m): 3:26am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Yeah right and it would remain so on your computer for at least the next 20 hours since we have already determined that your internet is a day late.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 3:28am On Jan 16, 2012
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jOH3aWUpnC1PaNFXCGTd7VF7N3rQ?docId=178c986b86614df383a03b28f7588813

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — A nationwide strike in Nigeria over spiraling fuel prices will continue, two major unions said Sunday after negotiations with the government failed.
The statement from the Nigeria Labor Congress and the Trade Union Congress came as confusion remained over whether a threatened shutdown of oil production will occur in Africa's top oil exporter. A major oil workers union had promised to stop production at midnight Saturday in solidarity with the demonstrations, jeopardizing the country's production of 2.4 million barrels of oil a day.
[size=13pt]During negotiations Saturday between the unions and government, organizers asked the government to restore an estimated $8 billion a year in fuel subsidies that keep gasoline prices low in Africa's most populous nation, the statement said. The government countered by promising to lower prices slightly, the unions said.

The talks broke down just before midnight, and the unions said that demonstrations against the government's decision would resume Monday.
[/size]

President Goodluck Jonathan did not show up for a meeting with union representatives held at the presidential villa in Nigeria's capital Abuja, nor did Vice President Namadi Sambo. Instead, the nation's Senate president and its House speaker represented the government along with other officials.

Presidential spokesman Reuben Abati could not be immediately reached for comment Sunday. However, an Associated Press reporter saw Jonathan enter a meeting with labor officials late Sunday night at the presidential palace.

The strike began Jan. 9, paralyzing the nation of more than 160 million people. The root cause remains gasoline prices: Jonathan's government abandoned subsidies that kept gasoline prices low on Jan. 1, causing prices to spike from $1.70 per gallon (45 cents per liter) to at least $3.50 per gallon (94 cents per liter). The costs of food and transportation also largely doubled in a nation where most people live on less than $2 a day.

Associated Press
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 3:31am On Jan 16, 2012
philips70:

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/33427-petrol-is-n97-per-litre.html

@kobo hope you will be cleared by this link.

Not really. I would rather wait as I said earlier for tommorow to come and clear things up. If you look at the ChannelsTV article, the Associated Press report from the last couple of hours, and the other article I linked to, there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies with the reports from Tribune and TheNation. I mean how can Labor agree and then disagree with the very same? Even dem doppleganger no even fit do something that silly.

I think I should go back to what I suggested we all do earlier . . .

[size=13pt]Those of you busy spreading false news should know that you aid in ruining the chance this country has for real change. Instead of constantly creating threads with conflicting reports. . . .most of them UNSUBSTANTIATED rumours. . . rather than allow ourselves be used to derail the efforts of the people, why not stay your hands until we get real reports on changes occurring, or not occurring.[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by terrykarl(m): 3:31am On Jan 16, 2012
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jodeci(m): 3:32am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jOH3aWUpnC1PaNFXCGTd7VF7N3rQ?docId=178c986b86614df383a03b28f7588813

Associated Press

something must be seriously wrong with your computer,u keep cropping up old news.

the NEWS we are referring to came up early Monday 16th January 2012 after the late sunday night meeting btw NLC and Govt.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 3:34am On Jan 16, 2012
jodeci:

something must be seriously wrong with your computer,u keep cropping up old news.

the NEWS we are referring to came up early Monday 16th January 2012 after the late sunday night meeting btw NLC and Govt.

Apparently you have a problem reading the English Language. The Report came out about two hours ago, about 1 am Nigerian time, and it was on the late night meeting that happened in Nigeria. All you have to do is CLICK AND READ . . . at least to save us all the ignorant rants.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Akiika: 3:37am On Jan 16, 2012
Jonathan, , you no well. 65 naira or nothing.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by philips70(m): 3:37am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Not really. I would rather wait as I said earlier for tommorow to come and clear things up. If you look at the ChannelsTV article, the Associated Press report from the last couple of hours, and the other article I linked to, there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies with the reports from Tribune and TheNation. I mean how can Labor agree and then disagree with the very same? Even dem doppleganger no even fit do something that silly.

I think I should go back to what I suggested we all do earlier . . .

[size=13pt]Those of you busy spreading false news should know that you aid in ruining the chance this country has for real change. Instead of constantly creating threads with conflicting reports. . . .most of them UNSUBSTANTIATED rumours. . .  rather than allow ourselves be used to derail the efforts of the people, why not stay your hands until we get real reports on changes occurring, or not occurring.[/size]
We have tried all we can to help you. Anyway you have some few hours to clarify things yourself. But I personally watched the obviously dazed Omar himself speaking himself. He looked defeated and I guess he didn't even know when he mentioned the suspension of street protests, cos he didn't start those protests.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by obowunmi(m): 3:41am On Jan 16, 2012
All the JOBLESS youth, what will they now do ? where will they go ? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by ebonino: 3:43am On Jan 16, 2012
Please, well meaning nigerians who has been part of this struggle and who truly understands what we are fighting for, this is time for us to revered those who has fallen in this struggle, this is time for us to change nigeria.
as we all know, this is not really about fuel subsidy(it was just the last straw that broke the camel's back) but about persistent corrupt government that has enable countries like ghana stare at us with disdain. we must not give up now.
is it not evident what we have achieved so far?
the government has embarked on panic measures, i see on channelstv,news about EFCC auditing NNPC and the PIB bill to be pass in the coming week.
my comrades,we must take destiny into our hands and push further. more lives might be lost but good will always prevail against evil.
LET US STAND OUR GROUND AT OJOTA TODAY in one accord and the government will know that this time,they have touched a cub right before the lioness
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jodeci(m): 3:47am On Jan 16, 2012
ebonino:

Please, well meaning nigerians who has been part of this struggle and who truly understands what we are fighting for, this is time for us to revered those who has fallen in this struggle, this is time for us change nigeria.
as we all know, this is not really about fuel subsidy(it was just the last straw that broke the camel's back) but about persistent corrupt government that has enable countries like ghana stare at us with disdain. we must not give up now.
is it not evident what we have achieved so far?
the government has embarked on panic measures, i see on channelstv,news about EFCC auditing NNPC and the PIB bill to be pass in the coming week.
my comrades,we must take destiny into our hands and push further. more lives might be lost but good will always prevail against evil.
LET US STAND OUR GROUND AT OJOTA TOMORROW in one accord and the government will know that this time,they have touched a cub right before the lioness

I hope you and everyone related to you will be there,it is not enough to be an internet activist.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by philips70(m): 3:52am On Jan 16, 2012
jodeci:

I hope you and everyone related to you will be there,it is not enough to be an internet activist.
History will not be a good friend to people like you when the time comes. You will have your children to contend with because they will hold you responsible for their wasted generation.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jodeci(m): 3:56am On Jan 16, 2012
philips70:

History will not be a good friend to people like you when the time comes. You will have your children to contend with because they will hold you responsible for their wasted generation.

You are a bloody noise maker.My question was straight and simple.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by 9jafreak: 3:57am On Jan 16, 2012
[size=20pt]DID

THE

DEAD

DIE

IN

VAIN?

WE NO GO GREE O
[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Excelboi(m): 3:58am On Jan 16, 2012
This is now so complicated!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by philips70(m): 4:00am On Jan 16, 2012
jodeci:

You are a bloody noise maker.My question was straight and simple.
You do not deserve attention. Your low life is obvious. You should be in a rehab. That is where you belong. Traitors!!!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by occam(m): 4:00am On Jan 16, 2012
This is the script all along by Jonathan: Jack up the price, enter fake negotiation with a weak Labour union and then bring the price to N100. This is the crap they want us to accept AGAIN

Nigerians must be resolute. The issue is not only about reverting petrol price to N65 but demanding more accountability. The protests continues!

Why did they spend N1.3 trillion on subsidy in 2011?
Will they cut down on waste  in 2012 budget proposal?

Clearly, this announcement by Jonathan shows it's still business as usual by same set of politicians. The business of fooling Nigerians while plundering the oil wealth

And this is fresh air? Feels more like toxic fumes
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by chidyke77(m): 4:00am On Jan 16, 2012
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by 4xstore: 4:02am On Jan 16, 2012
Nigeria,God's own country.The real issue we should address once and for all is putting a law in place to execute by firing squad if you are found to embezzle the public fund.The real issue in Nigeria is not subsidy.Go through the length and breadth of the country call Nigeria,the big houses are own by the govt people.The pay master on level 7 will have over 20million naira in his/her account.

You see,we don't need to deceive ourselves.Until we go the way of china,India,ETC,the story will still continue.In Nigeria,once you are out of govt,you will be richer than the country.

govt should put a law in place,Draconian law,if need be,to address the issues of corruptions once and for all.Leave the poor masses.Let the price remain in N65 per litre.After all,God deposit the fuel for us to sustain us and the coming generations.

We no go agree.Lets think of the common man.Address corruptions once and for all.We can continue like this if we want this nation to remain in Unity.

All of us we be looking at Cow,you will tell us we are seeing fowl.We can still afford the subsidy.N65/Litre or the strike continue.

NLC Leaders,Please,for posterity sake,don't allow your account to be credited without a clear source.We are looking up to your integrity.

Thank you .Great Nigeria.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jodeci(m): 4:04am On Jan 16, 2012
philips70:

You do not deserve attention. Your low life is obvious. You should be in a rehab. That is where you belong. Traitors!!!

I doubt if you know the meaning of low life.Piss Off!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by philips70(m): 4:12am On Jan 16, 2012
jodeci:

I doubt if you know the meaning of low life.Piss Off!
The meaning is not far fetched. Just stand in front of your mirror and you will see it yourself. Okpe I of Nairaland
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Upright750: 4:20am On Jan 16, 2012
the issue of smuggling our fuel to out neighboring country is true because in Benin republic {Cotonou } and Togo {Lome} people don't usually buy fuel at the gasoline station. They always buy by the road side because it's cheaper and that is the fuel they smuggle from our border to their country . Government has to do something about that first. All is about the corruption we are taking about because is those our security agencies at the border are encouraging them by allowing them to smuggle our fuel to another country which they know to well that our government is paying so much money for us throu the subsidy.  All because the border agencies make too much money from it. OUR PRESIDENT SHOULD PLEASE REMOVE THE CORRUPTION ALL LEVEL BEFORE THE SUBSIDY REMOVAL  IF HE REALLY INTEND TO ACHIEVE HIS PLANS FOR THE GOODNESS OF ALL NIGERIANS
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by mechris: 4:23am On Jan 16, 2012
I watched the so called Town hall meeting  cum  subsidy debate  and was convinced that this whole thing is hoggwash.The chief cabals in this scenario wre present all through the entire debate and no one had the gut to address them face to face.Otedola and Dangote were seated right there and the speakers never confronted them directly on there unscrupulous dealings.Only Nduka made a passing reference to Otedola as one of the direct beneficiaries of the subsidy in his introduction, and guess what, he was a bit taken aback, and did u notice his discomfort  during the rest of the show?Now there is a panick measure to convince Nigerians of thier good intent as they finger NNPC and PPPRA.As usual only those without God fathers will be fired.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Anambra 2021: Arthur Eze Drums Support For Nnewi Governorship Candidate / Man Drinks Dirty Water To Celebrate Yahaya Bello's Victory(photos) / 2023: Oshiomhole’s Sack Dims Way For Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.