Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help (986 Views)

The Strike Was Suspended Not Called Off – PENGASSAN President / Nollywood Star, Ex-commissioner At War Over Enugu Reps Ticket / Pengassan Would Not Be Joining The Strike As Promised - NLC President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help by Blastus(m): 8:13am On Jan 16, 2012
It is a high time Civil society and other well meaning Nigeria take note of what is happening in Enugu state. Civil servants in Enugu state is suffering in the hand of the governor. It is only in Enugu state that the governor refuse to negotiate with labour over minimum  wage, he has decided to pay what he likes to civil servants whether they accept it or not. For now he added only #8000(EIGHT THOUSAND NAIRA) upon the existing salary of civil servants making a director in Enugu state to be earning half of what their counterpart in other state is earning.

Secondly, civil servant went on strike in September last year, despite that the strike is legal, he refused to pay them salary for that period saying that nobody will do anything about it.

It necessary to note that last year he dismissed  labour activists and had kept them in prison, and since then civil liberty organization kept quiet, even some labour leaders were arrested with respect to the current strike.

It is only in Enugu state that civil servants were refused rally and protests as allowed in other states. For fear, some civil servants do go to write their names in the office during this period of strike, and if care is not taking only those people he will pay salary.

Enugu state is under siege and need intervention because the governor is doing as if there is no law. If nothing is done, soon there could be big problem in the state.
Re: Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help by CyberG: 8:53am On Jan 16, 2012
Oga. . .I don`t think there`s any problem in this complaint except you just want to rubbish the name of the government. But if this is really an issue, you would just have to fight the governor yourself because the fiercest defenders of most ordinary sections of the Nigerian society are now being blamed from almost every corner. Fela, Soyinka, Falana, SR, etc and their folks and stance to defend the not so strong are being blamed for everything. They have also led the recent efforts to inform the people about issues and take a firm stance against the government but they have been vilified at every turn.

Even Dokubo whom SR and many good Nigerians fought for in the press, mounting pressure on the government then are the evil ones. Turai sat on the head of Jonzer-thon but Bakare, SNG and their folks liberated him, today they are the enemy - abused, scorned and blamed for every problem in the country. I think you guys too should fight your leaders for your rights a bit and take pressure of these people before you kill all of them. Fela is dead, Soyinka is getting older, you see now? The SW lets other Nigerians enjoy their grace in Lagos and the most forward looking cities in Nigeria but after abuse you accuse them of stealing oil when they also sit on oil in Ondo, Lagos and resources all other parts of Nigeria can only dream of including their lands. Please go and have a one on one with the government as those people are still fighting for Nigerians in another battle for which the army has now been deployed.
Re: Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help by Blastus(m): 8:57pm On Jan 16, 2012
CyberG:

Oga. . .I don`t think there`s any problem in this complaint except you just want to rubbish the name of the government. But if this is really an issue, you would just have to fight the governor yourself because the fiercest defenders of most ordinary sections of the Nigerian society are now being blamed from almost every corner. Fela, Soyinka, Falana, SR, etc and their folks and stance to defend the not so strong are being blamed for everything. They have also led the recent efforts to inform the people about issues and take a firm stance against the government but they have been vilified at every turn.

Even Dokubo whom SR and many good Nigerians fought for in the press, mounting pressure on the government then are the evil ones. Turai sat on the head of Jonzer-thon but Bakare, SNG and their folks liberated him, today they are the enemy - abused, scorned and blamed for every problem in the country.  I think you guys too should fight your leaders for your rights a bit and take pressure of these people before you kill all of them. Fela is dead, Soyinka is getting older, you see now? The SW lets other Nigerians enjoy their grace in Lagos and the most forward looking cities in Nigeria but after abuse you accuse them of stealing oil when they also sit on oil in Ondo, Lagos and resources all other parts of Nigeria can only dream of including their lands. Please go and have a one on one with the government as those people are still fighting for Nigerians in another battle for which the army has now been deployed.

@CyberG,
I don't know where you are posting from or your relationship with Enugu state government. If you are not among the government beneficiary, i will appreciate if you prove any of the issues pointed to be false. Is there any other state in Nigeria that any of the labor leaders was arrested and in detention because of the strike except in Enugu.? It is only in Enugu state that protest was not allowed WHY?
Re: Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help by Ufeolorun(m): 10:33pm On Jan 16, 2012
CyberG:

Even Dokubo whom SR and many good Nigerians fought for in the press, mounting pressure on the government then are the evil ones. Turai sat on the head of Jonzer-thon but Bakare, SNG and their folks liberated him, today they are the enemy - abused, scorned and blamed for every problem in the country.  I think you guys too should fight your leaders for your rights a bit and take pressure of these people before you kill all of them. Fela is dead, Soyinka is getting older, you see now? The SW lets other Nigerians enjoy their grace in Lagos and the most forward looking cities in Nigeria but after abuse you accuse them of stealing oil when they also sit on oil in Ondo, Lagos and resources all other parts of Nigeria can only dream of including their lands. Please go and have a one on one with the government as those people are still fighting for Nigerians in another battle for which the army has now been deployed.

Very well said.

@Blastus,
I feel your pain bro but when loads of people are hitting the streets and others  decide to sit on their hands in a clear case of abuse against ordinary people,this will only embolden local dictators. There are wider implications for complacency.
Kano,Lagos,Ekiti for e.g will never try all you mentioned cos they know the people will respond.
Re: Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help by VoodooDoll(m): 10:39pm On Jan 16, 2012
@Cyber G,

Very well said, very well said.
Re: Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help by DanKan0: 10:47pm On Jan 16, 2012
Ever since the January 1, 2012, decision of the federal government to remove subsidy form PMS, the nation has being upside down with range of angers and frustration against the decision of government to introduce such an obnoxious policy especially, at this time when there is growing insecurity and hopelessness in the country.

Since the announcement, the country has witness one week of strike actions by the joint actions of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Trade Union Congress and organized civil society. Interestingly, Nigerians responded with so much vigor and perseverance through protest and unfortunate violence and killings across the country. The reality is that, the protest is against an insensitive ruling elite and corruption embedded in the whole subsidy issue.

Within days, of such pronunciation by the Federal Government, Nigeria was tearing apart with wide protest due to general rise in transport fare and other basic amenities across the country. From North-Central, East, West, and the South East, South and West, Nigerians mobilized themselves against government policy and took to the streets, to protest this sudden unexpected increase in the price of PMS. No doubt, the protests of the people are against governmental insensitive, corruption and allege transfer of government inefficiency and courage to fight cabals responsible for all the mess in the oil industry. Nigerians were united against this obnoxious economic strangulation and impoverishment of the already impoverished people, in a country with vast wealth and opportunities.

However, the refusal of the government and to some large extend the good and spirited people of South East and South-South to join the strike underscore the hopeless and confusion scenario of Nigeria masses. I believe the refusal of governments of these regions to allow the people to protest, seriously violates their fundamental human rights as enshrine in Nigerian constitution. From available reports, the governors of these regions threatened, harassed and intimidated labour leaders and the people with mass arrests, violence and killing if they dear decide to protest openly. This to me is undemocratic, uncivilized and uncultured in the 21st century contemporary global reality. Remember it was Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu state that arrested and locked up Labour leaders around August last year when they protested against his refusal to pay the minimum wage. The governors of these geopolitical zones must realize that, the people have the right to protest any government policy that is an anathema to their survival. The use of apparatus of the state to intimidate and mutilate the body and souls of the people, only postpones the evil day. I believe no weapon is invented to stop an idea whose time has come, period.

Looking at the conspiracy and deception within these regions, you realize that, these governors are not doing this because of any national interest, neither is it in the interests of their peoples but, purely selfish interest. The South East ruling elite unfortunately, are hanging up to the promise of President Goodluck Jonathan handing over power to them by 2015 as promised. So, no matter what, the ruling elite are ready to support the policies of government hook, line and sinker, even if it is against the interest of Nigeria and Nigerians. Doing this, they think, will build trust and support-base on the president; ironically, the entire region gave him over 98% imaginary votes in the last April Presidential elections. Building a premise on this political mathematics is not only misplaced, but, shows that the South East ruling elite have not yet understand and appreciate the dynamics and forces that shapes the Nigerian politics. The benevolence of man alone, no matter how powerful, cannot make any region to ascend to the seat of power, but, building bridges and communications along and among various nationalities are critical to any successful political success.

Secondly, the South East region has further widened the suspicions and mistrust of Nigerians against the region and their perceived motive of the zealousness and support to a drowning man. Could this be personal selfish motives or nationalistic; I think the former was more at play than the later. This is a collective national struggle that have unite the country for once against perceived insensitive government policy; so the South East, should have been the vanguard of this struggle of national rebirth. Anyway, someone whispered to me, the South East ruling elite never opposed government policy, because most of the elite are the beneficiary of government contracts; this I cannot proved, but, it sound rational to me.

For the South-South it is understandable, because the son of the soil is at the saddle of leadership position. So, whatever he does, good or bad, this prodigal son must be supported with the blood and tears of the Niger-Deltans. The governors of the region are not outdoing each other in their deception and wit but, the militants have to be called upon to offer service to protect the son of the soil against a united front from mostly Northern and Western regions, who have lost power and whose elite are going to be affected by the fuel subsidy removal. The rationality in the Niger-Delta is not only laughable, but, underscores the thinking faculties of the people and leaders of the region. It was surprising watching a young lady on a national television, arguing, that, it is their oil, and they have decided to remove subsidy from it and let the rest of us remove subsidy in our foods, cows, cocoa and other thing we supply them. This is really interesting and underscores the general feeling of resentments against the rest of us, the bad belly people who want to disgrace the son of the soil.

Unfortunately, when one measures the quality of life of the people from the region, it makes one wonder how gullible and stupid humans that God have perfected with reasoning ability could descend so low into an abyss of confusion and hopelessness as result of embedded prejudice and hatred. I think, the South West seriously put Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on a hot seat while in power and same can be attributed to the northern region. The Northern people were the most outspoken critic of the Late President Umaru Musa Yar’adua’s administration, till he breathes his last in this world of confusion. So, for someone to make such a blank accusation, only shows his lack of intellect and the inferiority complex embedded in him/her.

As for the people, they have their motives, but, to my mind, I believe the people seriously want to protest. I am in absolute solidarity with the mood of the nation, but, the fear of state violence and death made most people to abide by the prevailing reality in the state. I was in contact with my good friends from these tow regions, and confirmed my curiosity. I really pity these regions, because when the history of this nation is going to be narrated especially on the successes of Nigerians for the first time to confronts the unjust state, the South-East and South-South will be on the dustbin of shame for failing to rise when the nation beckon. I can only pity the Lilliputian ruling elite from these regions, because we can no long trust you with our votes and support, because we feel you don’t love this country any more. We stand shoulder to shoulder with patriots from these regions in different regions to protest against insensitive government policies, corruption and poverty in the midst of plenty.

I wonder how these regions, will finally look at Nigerians, when the peoples’ revolution finally forces the nation to revert to N65 per litre; will they continue to buy fuel at N140? Will they be stupid and shameless enough to enjoy the hardwork, determination, courage, perseverance, tears, sweat and blood of millions of Nigerians that fought for their freedom? Does the South-East, especially the elite think that by supporting fuel subsidy removal, it will draw them closer to their political dream of ruling the country? These and many questions continue to occupy my mind as I continue to reflect on this deception by the saboteurs from these two regions. I believe whatever be the outcome; the North and South-West have further show to the whole world who really cares about the unity and development of this country. I feel that is why God Almighty continue to give them victory and achievement against pretentious ruling elite. This is really a case of you for us or against us; neutrality is a crime.

http://saharareporters.com/article/southeast-south-south-and-rest-us
Re: Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help by emiye(m): 11:16pm On Jan 16, 2012
Blastus:

It is a high time Civil society and other well meaning Nigeria take note of what is happening in Enugu state. Civil servants in Enugu state is suffering in the hand of the governor. It is only in Enugu state that the governor refuse to negotiate with labour over minimum  wage, he has decided to pay what he likes to civil servants whether they accept it or not. For now he added only #8000(EIGHT THOUSAND NAIRA) upon the existing salary of civil servants making a director in Enugu state to be earning half of what their counterpart in other state is earning.

Secondly, civil servant went on strike in September last year, despite that the strike is legal, he refused to pay them salary for that period saying that nobody will do anything about it.

It necessary to note that last year he dismissed  labour activists and had kept them in prison, and since then civil liberty organization kept quiet, even some labour leaders were arrested with respect to the current strike.

It is only in Enugu state that civil servants were refused rally and protests as allowed in other states. For fear, some civil servants do go to write their names in the office during this period of strike, and if care is not taking only those people he will pay salary.

Enugu state is under siege and need intervention because the governor is doing as if there is no law. If nothing is done, soon there could be big problem in the state.     

I want to believe your people are not cowards, come out in full force in form of a civil protest.

You must set yourselves free ! Essence of Democracy
Re: Now The Strike Will Soon Be Over Enugu State Need Help by otokx(m): 12:54am On Jan 17, 2012
you can't eat your cake and have it

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: The 'real Members' Of Boko Haram! / Why El-rufai Will Never Be President / Still On David Mark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.