Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm (6020 Views)

National Assembly Jumbo Salary: Labour To Shut Down The Economy / Developing Story:pdp's First Day As.... / Impeachment: Labour To Shut Down Ekiti For Fayose As Group Writes CJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by DrKnow1(m): 10:59am On Jan 16, 2012
Following Sunday night’s failure to reach an agreement with government over the fuel subsidy issue, labour is scheduled to meet at 1pm today to plan its next line of action even as it has signalled its intention to meet the Justice Alfa Belgore Committee on Wednesday.

One major sticking point is government’s refusal to revert to the pre-subsidy removal price of N65 although in a nationwide broadcast Monday morning, President Goodluck Jonathan announced a new price of N97, which is lower than the N141 announced by government on January 1.

FUEL SUBSIDY STRIKE DAY 6: LIVE UPDATES:

LAGOS: 9.20AM…Residents of Lagos woke up this morning to a heavily security clamp down as armed soldiers were seen manning strategic points across the city.

It is clear that the ever popular mass rally, which throughout last week took place at the Gani Fawehinmi Square, Ojota, may not hold as the area is swamped with security operatives including armed soldiers.

However, the city is still deserted as commercial activity is virtually none existent with offices, banks and government institutions remaining shut.

ABUJA: 9.47AM:…While there is not a very noticeable army presence in the federal capital, the city still remains a virtual ghost town with most shops and offices yet to open.

Transcop Hilton, which used to be very busy before the strike action began last week, is still recording low patronage, ditto for Sheraton Hotel.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/developing-story-labour-to-meet-at-1pm/107238/
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by DrKnow1(m): 11:03am On Jan 16, 2012
Why are they meeting again? I think they have accepted the FG offer of N97
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by efisher(m): 11:33am On Jan 16, 2012
I expect them to officially call off d strike while negotiations continue.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by princepee: 11:37am On Jan 16, 2012
Abeg make dem cal am off i wnt 2 go bck 2 work, 97 is ok.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by blacksta(m): 11:42am On Jan 16, 2012
efisher:

I expect them to officially call off d strike while negotiations continue.

The strike option is bargaining chip for Labour.  Gradually labour is losing its mandate.   Save Nigeria Group remains the only valid reprenstative for the masses.  This issue has now gone pass subsidy removal.  This is a one in life chance to attemtp to shape Nigeria for Good.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by MAYOWAAK: 11:43am On Jan 16, 2012
“@lilking555: How did the FEC get N97? Diezani's age(52) + Ngozi's age(58) minus the number of years PDP has ruled Nigeria(13) = 97.”
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 16, 2012
blacksta:

The strike option is bargaining chip for Labour.  Gradually labour is losing its mandate.   Save Nigeria Group remains the only valid reprenstative for the masses.  This issue has now gone pass subsidy removal.  This is a one in life chance to attemtp to shape Nigeria for Good.
seconded! The protests were on before labor joined anyways!
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by Mobinga: 11:52am On Jan 16, 2012
engineerd:

seconded! The protests were on before labor joined anyways!

Labour's strike + SNG's makes the whole protest worthwhile. If one pulls back then the whole thing is dead.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by omo9ja1(m): 11:52am On Jan 16, 2012
THEY NEE TO TO MEET AND DIALOGUE WITH THE PEOPLE THEY REPRESENT

THERE MAY BE ANOTHER WAY FORWARD WITHOUT STRIKE WITH THE GOVT
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 11:56am On Jan 16, 2012
waiting for the outcome
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by cantab(m): 12:06pm On Jan 16, 2012
Let Labour suspend the strike now, use d opportunity to consult wf the ppl they repsent & restrategize if necessaruy; again the pains of the strike so far is telling much on the common ppl, the hardship is becoming  unbearable, many innocent lives have been lost in the process, gez its time we became reasonable,
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by tenry(m): 12:06pm On Jan 16, 2012
to expect that government will return to 65 naira is to engage in the wildest kind of fantasy. let's accept 97 and move on with our normal life folds!
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by dokunbam(m): 12:10pm On Jan 16, 2012
FG claimed that in the next six month Nigeria economy will be turned over with fuel subsidy removal. I think labour should give FG ultimatum that if nothing is
done by that time then the struggle will continue. That is my own opinion
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by Koikoi(m): 12:11pm On Jan 16, 2012
NLC, pls be wise and call off the strike. Nigerians have a right 2 live their normal lives.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by born2boink(m): 12:14pm On Jan 16, 2012
Labour should understand GEJ is all about transformation and corruption tackling , fuel subsidy removal is the beginning of fighting corruption and developing the nation, I think 6 months watchful of the government is okay but Nigeria dey enjoy suffer  no bi small. and we are protesting to continue sufferer ,make GeJ reverse to N65 and corruption remain with us forever
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by visionsen(m): 12:16pm On Jan 16, 2012
Labour should see reasons now or they will loose the people's support.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by mbulela: 12:19pm On Jan 16, 2012
Mobinga:

Labour's strike + SNG's makes the whole protest worthwhile. If one pulls back then the whole thing is dead.
blacksta:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=846908.msg9975015#msg9975015
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by mbulela: 12:21pm On Jan 16, 2012
MAYOWAAK:

“@lilking555: How did the FEC get N97? Diezani's age(52) + Ngozi's age(58) minus the number of years PDP has ruled Nigeria(13) = 97.”

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=846908.msg9975445#msg9975445
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by Obijulius: 12:26pm On Jan 16, 2012
I av seen some of  most sensible words on this forum IN this topic.

Dere is no doubt that pple can now start goin about their normal business.

The streets of Lagos are safe once again.

C'mon pple let's Gε̲̣̣̣̥t back 2 work.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 16, 2012
the rumour making the BB rounds is that the SS and SE sellouts will call off the strike within their parts of the country
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by 989900: 12:33pm On Jan 16, 2012
to expect that government will return to 65 naira is to engage in the wildest kind of fantasy. let's accept 97 and move on with our normal life folds!

This kind of reasoning got us here in the first place.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by smokeyupu(m): 12:38pm On Jan 16, 2012
grin THE STRIKE MUST AND SHOULD CONTINUE!!!! THESE GUYS WHO IMPOSED THEMSELVES ON US AS LEADERS SHOULD GET OFF THEIR HORSES AND FACE REALITY.

WHAT THE HELL IS THESE? I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE WAY THINGS ARE BEING DONE IN THIS COUNTRY. PEOPLE ARE FED UP!!

SOMETIMES I REGRET BEING BORN IN NIGERIA THOUGH I KNOW GOD HAS A PURPOSE FOR MY BEING HERE.

CORRUPTION IS THE PROBLEM. KILL IT FIRST AND THEN FACE OTHER ISSUES.

THEY TALK ABOUT OUR REFINERIES "WAKING UP" SOON. LIES! LIES!! THESE REFINERIES ARE OBSOLUTE AND SHOULD BE TURNED TO MUSEUMS FOR STUDENTS.

WHY CANT WE BUILD NEW REFINERIES LIKE OTHER COUNTRIES ARE DOING AND THEN REMOVE THE SUBSIDY? BULLSHIT!

LETS DO THE RIGHT THING BY MAKING THE SAME LAW AS CHINA DID FOR ERRING AND CORRUPT GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS - DEATH BY HANGING/FIRING SQUAD AND REDUCE THE NUMBER OF MINISTERS. PA's, SENATORS, REPRESENTATIVES ETC. THIS ARE THE MAIN ISSUES THAT MUST BE TAKEN CARE OF.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by freepeople: 12:39pm On Jan 16, 2012
Developing Story: Labour To Meet [size=16pt]At[/size] 1pm
cry
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by CrazyMan(m): 12:47pm On Jan 16, 2012
I think they should call of the strike then continue negotiations.

Also on the other hand, Jonathan should know that it's humans he's ruling not animals, in Awka here, the strike wasn't as effective as i heard it was in places like Lagos, PH and Abuja. In fact apart from banks and a few few filling stations that were shut down, you would hardly notice that there's a strike going on.

But that didn't stop the price of commodity from going up, Yesterday I bought a liter of fuel for N180 when mr president is saying 140 and now 97.

So what I think is that if he (Mr. President) has the interest of the Nigerian people at heart, then he should avoid taking decisions which he knows would affect the masses negatively.

I mean things are really bad here, he has to reason with us, this refinery they're talking about didn't IBORI (former delta state governor) build one in South Africa?

Wasn't it state fund he used to build a personal refinery for himself?

If Jonathan want's to build a refinery, I strongly believe that Nigeria has the funds for it; so he shouldn't starve us to death just to achieve his goal.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by otondo55: 12:56pm On Jan 16, 2012
And who told you GEJ have your interest at heart?

while he budgeted 1billion for his feeding alone.

what does it cost to build refinery and steady power supply ? Nothing !

They are not interested, only amassing wealth for the unborn, GEJ is not the Messiah!
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by iykak47: 1:18pm On Jan 16, 2012
breaking news .
nlc suspends strike
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by IbroSaunks(m): 1:18pm On Jan 16, 2012
Please suspend the strike!
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by otondo55: 1:23pm On Jan 16, 2012
Subsidy as a case of a farmer, who sold his crops to the market.
And asked his house-hold to buy from the same market.

GEJ, use your head not your mouth !

Build more refinery, at least for local consumption.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by dsurrogat: 1:24pm On Jan 16, 2012
GEJ victorious at last yahooooo
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by otokx(m): 1:25pm On Jan 16, 2012
what is the latest?
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 16, 2012
Dem don call am off oo, Na tell me, This people no look like sey dem take bribe so, Their aim right from the start was to increase the price to 65-97naira, the increase to 141naira was just to know what Nigerians would do, how they would react, now, they didn't reduce it to 120, neither 100 naira, but they made an agreement where ever, how ever, and they arrived at 97naira, now my question is, where did this negotiations take place? Why don't they make the negotiations public, why do they have to hide it from us, after all, the NLC are fighting for our sake, but still, they don't make it public, My fellow Nigerians,, No hope for this country, Make we bet, life don hard from today.
Re: Developing Story: Labour To Meet At 1pm by lookmangiw(m): 1:30pm On Jan 16, 2012
NLC/TUC, how much did they give you to betray the masses like this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Nnamdi Kanu Brought To Kuje Prison Just Now / Have You Noticed This On The N200 Note? / Atiku Disgraced And Humiliated During His Town Hall Meeting In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.