Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka (5715 Views)

OSUN ELECTION; No Going Back On Troops Deployment –jonathan / Sheikh Again Defends His Stand On Troops Deployment To Mali / Massive Troops Deployment In Southwest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by OAM4J: 10:37pm On Jan 16, 2012
Troops deployment: A gross betrayal – Soyinka

Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, also decried the deployment of soldiers especially in Lagos and wondered whether it was part of the deal Labour reached with government.

Demanding immediate withdrawal of the soldiers, Soyinka described their deployment as “an intolerable act of provocation that has taken underhand advantage of the willingness of the people to negotiate and give the government a breathing space” and makes absolute nonsense of the Belgore machinery for resolution that was set up, even before it has commenced work.

“It has turned future dialogue into negotiation under the gun, which is nothing but a charade and will only be challenged at no distant date.”

He urged Labour and Civil society to boycott further talks with the government until the soldiers were withdrawn.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/troops-deployment-a-gross-betrayal-soyinka/
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by OAM4J: 10:50pm On Jan 16, 2012
Hope General Jonathan will listen undecided
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 16, 2012
those who the gods wish to destroy

gej has lost his credibility among nigerians

now he will officially lose his credibility before the world

what was whispered will now be said openly

he better not take any more foreign trips, because this time, they will open his nyash completely

not that anyone will want to invest in a country run by a despot backed by mad thugs

even the chinese may be having a rethink
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by BlackPikiN(m): 11:40pm On Jan 16, 2012
oyb:

those who the gods wish to destroy

gej has lost his credibility among nigerians

now he will officially lose his credibility before the world

what was whispered will now be said openly

he better not take any more foreign trips, because this time, they will open his nyash completely

not that anyone will want to invest in a country run by a despot backed by mad thugs

even the chinese may be having a rethink

Among Nigerians?
Which Nigerians? SE/SW?SS/NE/NW/NC?

Fact# Buhari can never be president.
He will cry again!
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by baslone: 9:29am On Jan 17, 2012
BlackPikiN:

Among Nigerians?
Which Nigerians? SE/SW?SS/NE/NW/NC?

Fact# Buhari can never be president.
He will cry again!

The sense is . . . . . . . ?
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by success4(m): 9:35am On Jan 17, 2012
GEJ for 2015! grin grin grin

Make sure you vote GEJ not PDP.
Tibunu is part of Nigerian problem.
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Tabon: 9:43am On Jan 17, 2012
Why should they continue to protest? Is it because of increase in the pump price of fuel? Their protest is politically motivated by some group of selfish politicians and fuel cabals. Why wont Gej use military? U want it to excalate and result to more loss of lives? Gej will not withdraw d military until peace is returned. After d fuel they protesting belongs to d niger deltans.
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 17, 2012
Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka has described as a “gross betrayal,” the flooding of the streets of Lagos with armed soldiers.

In a strong statement just released, he asked: “Was it part of the deal reached by the government of Goodluck Jonathan, Labour Movement and Civil Society, that soldiers would be sent to occupy Lagos and intimidate the populace?”

He described the action as a gross violation of the rights of citizens to congregate and give expression to whatever grievances bedevil their existence.

“Until [the soldiers] are removed, Nigerians as a whole should understand that the present civic action is not over and prepare to mobilize and defend their liberty,” he said, calling the summoning of armed troops to the streets to confront unarmed civilians an intolerable act of provocation that has taken underhand advantage of the willingness of the people to negotiate and give the government a breathing space.

Stressed Professor Soyinka, “Lagos is no hotbed of BOKO HARAM, nor is it the state of this very incumbent president where leaders and comrades for whom we have the deepest respect, and with whom we still share common cause, have called openly for secession of their part of the nation and called upon others to join them. Lagos is not where heavily armed vigilantes have taken over oil wells.

Clearly these forms of freedom of expression, even of the armed kind, are in order, since Goodluck Jonathan has not seen it as the duty of his office to invade such territories. The occupation of Lagos does no credit to this regime and must be reversed. The kindest that can be said of it is that it is an aberration produced by too many long hours of negotiation, resulting in an unclear and befogged mind.”

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/soyinka-calls-%E2%80%98immediate-and-unconditional-removal%E2%80%99-soldiers-lagos-streets
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 17, 2012

He described the action as a gross violation of the rights of citizens to congregate and give expression to whatever grievances bedevil their existence.

“Until [the soldiers] are removed, Nigerians as a whole should understand that the present civic action is not over and prepare to mobilize and defend their liberty,” he said, calling the summoning of armed troops to the streets to confront unarmed civilians an intolerable act of provocation that has taken underhand advantage of the willingness of the people to negotiate and give the government a breathing space.

Stressed Professor Soyinka, “Lagos is no hotbed of BOKO HARAM, nor is it the state of this very incumbent president where leaders and comrades for whom we have the deepest respect, and with whom we still share common cause, have called openly for secession of their part of the nation and called upon others to join them. Lagos is not where heavily armed vigilantes have taken over oil wells.

Clearly these forms of freedom of expression, even of the armed kind, are in order, since Goodluck Jonathan has not seen it as the duty of his office to invade such territories. The occupation of Lagos does no credit to this regime and must be reversed. The kindest that can be said of it is that it is an aberration produced by too many long hours of negotiation, resulting in an unclear and befogged mind.”

goodluck mugabe , have you heard?
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by valencia25(m): 9:46am On Jan 17, 2012
dis 9ja sev, wen people go stop to dey betray citizens, frm GEJ to FG, Nw NLC, who's next?,

Now that strike is off and ASUU is till avin deir off- day, I'm paying for this Ebook Today  MAKE MONEY EASILY!!! http://naijamediaworld..com/2012/01/make-money-easily.html?spref=tw
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Korrection(m): 10:07am On Jan 17, 2012
Uncle Wole should go and sit down, what has he done for this country rather than introduction of cultism that the same politicians use to act evil, does he want people to loose thier lives more in the protest?? who knows GEJ might mean well but come to think of it, I have never spent more since the subsidy stuff started, i was suprise when i was in Benin to see a friend, the all busy ugbowo lagos was covered under 2 minutes from ring road to Isiohor, damn it was sweet sha, anyway the SW should stop the protest , lets watch and see, God will save us all and time will tell, ruling nigeria doesnt mean speaking too much grammer, Uncle Wale once again go and rest
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by born2boink(m): 10:12am On Jan 17, 2012
Major General G.E. Jonathan ,

Military Regime, we are back at it again

grin anybody wey talks, operation sweep go flog una nyansh
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Dipwater(m): 10:33am On Jan 17, 2012
@korrection don't ever address a true nigerian in that manner again
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by iykak47: 10:42am On Jan 17, 2012
Korrection:

uncle Wole should go and sit down, what has he done for this country rather than introduction of cultism that the same politicians use to act evil, does he want people to loose thier lives more in the protest?? who knows GEJ might mean well but come to think of it, I have never spent more since the subsidy stuff started, i was suprise when i was in Benin to see a friend, the all busy ugbowo lagos was covered under 2 minutes from ring road to Isiohor, damn it was sweet sha, anyway the SW should stop the protest , lets watch and see, God will save us all and time will tell, ruling nigeria doesnt mean speaking to much grammer, uncle Wale once again go and rest
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by sugar001(f): 10:44am On Jan 17, 2012
@Korrection! Sharrap your mouth. Wole Soyinka has done more than your useless generation will ever dream of doing.
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by iykak47: 10:45am On Jan 17, 2012
sugar 001:

@Korrection! Sharrap your mouth. Wole Soyinka has done more than your useless generation will ever dream of doing.
angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by iykak47: 10:47am On Jan 17, 2012
Dipwater:

@korrection don't ever address a true nigerian in that manner again
angry angry angry angry
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 17, 2012
@korrection,can u talk to ur father like that?pls,respect gray hair.even goodluck cannot insult soyinka.haba.
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by baslone: 10:48am On Jan 17, 2012
Shows the way he was brought up!
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Nobody: 10:52am On Jan 17, 2012
When wole and SNG were marching to rescue our fresh spot from turais kitchen, korrection was busy bunkering some oil somewhere
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by karlmax2: 10:59am On Jan 17, 2012
baslone:

Come get out here when ur likes and some idiats were calling GEJ all sorts of name did Ʊ people complain? As far as am concerned mr soyinka a social critic that worked with a dictator and took an appointment under a dictator, and didnt even achieve anything during the regime incase people like Ʊ have forgotten I have not history will judge him and IBB for stealing us dry and he was at one Time part and parcel of that junta regime.soyinka should go and relax and enjoy the money he looted when he was DG FRSC under ibb
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 17, 2012
Korrection:

Uncle Woye should go and sit down, what has he done for this country rather than introduction of cultism that the same politicians use to act evil, does he want people to loose thier lives more in the protest?? who knows GEJ might mean well but come to think of it, I have never spent more since the subsidy stuff started, i was suprise when i was in Benin to see a friend, the all busy ugbowo lagos was covered under 2 minutes from ring road to Isiohor, damn it was sweet sha, anyway the SW should stop the protest , lets watch and see, God will save us all and time will tell, ruling nigeria doesnt mean speaking too much grammer, Uncle Wale once again go and rest

Wole Soyinke has acheived more than your badluck can for the rest of his life as a dictator
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by richidinho(m): 11:14am On Jan 17, 2012
why cant u protest Groundnut Subsidy and leave our crude oil alone

Its our (Niger Delta) property

GEJ & I

go hug transformer
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Ojukwu24(m): 11:17am On Jan 17, 2012
People can be very funny. U come here, insult your President and call him names. But now you are all asking for the head of Korrection because he said his mind about your Soyinka. Na wah ooooooo. This na action film.

@Topic: All of you condemning GEJ, tell me what you want him to do to people that have just decided to be lawless. You hate for him wont take us anywhere, and moreover, he is and will be the president till 2015. If he allows business as usual, you will call him names, and now he sends in the military for security reasons, you complain. You people should just find something better to do with your time.
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by iykak47: 11:20am On Jan 17, 2012
Laalamed:

@korrection,can u talk to your father like that?pls,respect gray hair.even goodluck cannot insult soyinka.haba.
Yes its good for even some cockroaches  to insult GEJ, but when it comes to Wole Soyinka you remember gray hair. !Oh God will judge many people at the last day, bunch of hypocrites.
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by baslone: 11:23am On Jan 17, 2012
karl max:

baslone:

Come get out here when your likes and some idiats were calling GEJ all sorts of name did Ʊ people complain? As far as am concerned mr soyinka a social critic that worked with a dictator and took an appointment under a dictator, and didnt even achieve anything during the regime incase people like Ʊ have forgotten I have not history will judge him and IBB for stealing us dry and he was at one Time part and parcel of that junta regime.soyinka should go and relax and enjoy the money he looted when he was DG FRSC under ibb

I'm sorry I have no respect for murderers and that's the way I was brought up!
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by karlmax2: 11:32am On Jan 17, 2012
I'm sorry I have no respect for murderers and that's the way I was brought up!

Am sorry too I don't have respect for people that are part and parcel of a murderious and most corrupt regime in the history of AFRICA!!! Ooh also an hypocrite
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by babaowo: 11:33am On Jan 17, 2012
Yes he is more than gross betrayal because yoruba man made him a president and now he is bitten their fingers very soon yoruba's anger will descend on him.
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 17, 2012
Wole Soyinka is suffering from malignant syndrome attributed to old age. National Security is greater than political appointments.  Fashola sounded biased when he offered a plea for withdrawal of troops. Those troops are Nigerian troops and are there on national assignment.  Last I checked, Lagos is just a state in Nigeria, its National Security to keep mayhem off the streets. Fashola and GEJ are temporal democratic choices of the people, but national security is beyond politics. I expected someone like Soyinka to understand these. But I assume that no level of education can purge brassiness impregnated by nepotism.
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 17, 2012

small wonder they say the nd is politically immature

beaf, better call your muppets to order

this is a whole new low

the man who marched and fought for our fresh despot to be released from the kitchen is being insulted by you good for nothings!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

it is true what they say about the resource curse. it has robbed an entire region of the ability to think anything beyond, 'we have the oil'

like a petulant 5 year old with a shiny toy
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by OSFarinde(m): 12:11pm On Jan 17, 2012
Tabon:

Why should they continue to protest? Is it because of increase in the pump price of fuel? Their protest is politically motivated by some group of selfish politicians and fuel cabals. Why wont Gej use military? U want it to excalate and result to more loss of lives? Gej will not withdraw d military until peace is returned. After d fuel they protesting belongs to d niger deltans.

Why you dey think like a small kid ?? , no Riot police again for lagos ? , no mobile police again ? na military e con remain make presdo put for street , during the initial stage of the bloody tottenham riot , den no carry military put for street , you see person wey wear camouflage for the occupy wall street protest , ??
Re: Troops Deployment: A Gross Betrayal – Soyinka by OSFarinde(m): 12:16pm On Jan 17, 2012
oyb:

small wonder they say the nd is politically immature

beaf, better call your muppets to order

this is a whole new low

the man who marched and fought for our fresh despot to be released from the kitchen is being insulted by you good for nothings!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

it is true what they say about the resource curse. it has robbed an entire region of the ability to think anything beyond, 'we have the oil'

like a petulant 5 year old with a shiny toy

Thanks jare brother , like a petulant 5 year old with a shiny toy indeed , lol cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Crack In The Presidency: Abba Kyari Wants Nsa, Sgf, Efcc Chair Sacked, Angry Wit / Obiano Flags Off Export Of Sugarcane And Watermelon - Pic / IPOB: Convoy Of Biafran Soldiers Heading To Anambra To Disrupt Next Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.